What's new

25,000 Indian-origin British doctors to return to India

Bhushan

Reaction score
Country
India
25,000 Indian-origin British doctors to return to India

NEW DELHI: Nearly 25,000 British doctors of Indian origin are set to return to India within two to four years and some of them are "most likely to join the seven AIIMS-like institutions" proposed to be set up by the central government.

"There are around 15,000 young Indian-origin doctors undergoing training in different parts of Britain who will return to India," Ramesh Mehta, president of the British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin, told IANS.

"Also, at least 10,000 senior doctors of Indian origin who are retiring from their jobs in the UK, are set to return to India," said the doctor, currently on an Indian tour.
He said they have already talked to the Indian health ministry and have got a favourable response. "The government has allowed us to come back and practise."

He said the ministry told the association that there will be a problem in finding quality doctors to man the seven new medical colleges modelled after the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).

"We believe that these young doctors who are undergoing training in the UK currently, can be of great help in the new AIIMS-like institutes," he said.

The central government has given a go ahead to seven AIIMS-type medical institutions in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. Each of these institutes will come up with a cost of Rs.300 crore (Rs.3 billion).

Each new institution would have an 850-bed hospital, including superspecialty facilities and 39 departments covering all major disciplines of medicine. The medical colleges will also have the provision to take in 100 undergraduate students each per year as well as facilities for imparting Post Graduate and doctoral courses in various disciplines.

Mehta also said the Indian government's plan to start a three-and-a-half-year rural medical course can benefit from these British doctors. "We are ready to play a part in training doctors whom government will post in rural areas."

The health ministry and the Medical Council of India (MCI) have proposed to start a rural medical course called Bachelor of Rural Medicine and Surgery (BRMS) in district hospitals. This will help doctors to get posted in rural areas and improve the healthcare delivery system at village level.

Great news we need more doctors :cheers: especially those who want to serve the people & not just make a livelihood for themselves

Reverse Brain Drain has started I guess. Jai ho:cheers:

:welcome: Doc Brothers.

I think these doctors have done their studies in UK other wise india should have enough medical institutions to produce 25'000 doctors in couple of years to compensate any shortage of doctors.

I really admire the way local embassies and central indian govt. support the indians in foreign lands.

I think these doctors have done their studies in UK other wise india should have enough medical institutions to produce 25'000 doctors in couple of years to compensate any shortage of doctors.

I really admire the way local embassies and central indian govt. support the indians in foreign lands.

Nope becoming an engineer is far more easy than a doctor in India its too costly & limited number of institutions coupled with blinding competition.

25000 is really a very big number but i really doubt if they would go on and serve the people :what:they would Rather just make more & more money 4 themselves.

No they are not studying in UK. 15000 are young doctors and 10000 are retired doctors.

Good News indeed. It will bring competition and new technologies in Indian market. Since, the doctors who will be retiring or practicing in UK will bring money which will be invested by them in their respective private hospitals India will become the hub of cutting edge health services.:smitten:

Moreover, India already emerging as a hub for Medical Tourism because we offer state of the art services within the budget of foreigners. That means more US Dollars and Jobs for India.:yahoo::yahoo:

Our brothers & sisters from Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lenka as well as people from Africa etc. will also be benefiting from this since they comes India in large numbers for their medical treatment. :cheers:

NHS brain drain fears raised by appeal to Indian doctors

Fears of a brain drain in the NHS have been raised after the Indian government appealed to 15,000 doctors based here to work in new medical centres.

By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor
Published: 1:13PM GMT 04 Jan 2010

Dr Ramesh Mehta, president of the British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin warned that thousands of doctors in Britain will leave in the next few years to work in India.

He said around 15,000 British doctors who originated in India will leave to work in new medical centres in India over the next two to four years.

A further 10,000 senior doctors of Indian origin are set to retire from the NHS, he said.

The health service has traditionally relied on ties with the subcontinent for a steady stream of doctors with thousands registering every year.

Dr Mehta, who is attending a conference in India, said: "There are around 15,000 young Indian-origin doctors undergoing training in different parts of Britain who will return to India.

"Also, at least 10,000 senior doctors of Indian origin who are retiring from their jobs in the UK are set to return to India."

However the figures were questioned by other experts who said it would mean all the doctors of Indian origin in training posts in Britain leaving which they said was highly unlikely.

Dr Mehta said many of them were expected to take up positions in seven new elite medical centres for which the Indian health ministry is looking for quality doctors.

The centres will be dotted around the country and modelled on the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), considered India's best state-run research and treatment centre.

"We believe that these young doctors who are undergoing training in the UK currently can be of great help in the new AIIMS-like institutes," Dr Mehta said.

New rules now make it more difficult for medical graduates from outside Europe to come and train as doctors in Britain.

Training posts have to be offered to an applicant from within the European Economic Area first and if there are none suitable the place can be offered to those outside Europe.

why don't you build big hospitals in INDIAN occupied Kashmir.After many ppl are killed and injured there due to army operations.or are you afraid that Kashmirs are not worth your investment.

I will think twice before seeing an Indian doctor...

Indian Doctor Involved in Deaths of 87 | Altermedia news U.S.A.

for speaking fact i will not oly think twice but 10 times before visiting doctor

well wat i mean is irrespective of the country if the doctor is bad he will fck u in all possible ways
hence wy dont u try out urself in honkong

troll at its best

troll.Are you serious.I have just asked a question to my INDIAN friends that they are building many big hospitals around INDIA.Are they planning to build any in Kashmir where these are most needed.

Back
Top Bottom