What's new

21st Century American Civil War has already started

Status
Not open for further replies.
How New York tried to secede from the Union

Secessionist overtures from New York City to the Confederate states, January 29, 1861

article-2334880-1A10833E000005DC-426_472x636.jpg

Geographically, New York City was decidedly a northern city. But, many of its citizens held deep sympathies for the Confederacy – or at least a strong ambivalence to ending slavery.

The city’s loyalty to the Union was so torn that New York Mayor Fernando Wood proposed seceding from the U.S. along with the Southern states.

Wood had no desire to see slavery in New York City – but he believed secession would be a power play for the city and believed New York was strong enough to operate on its own, as an independent island, apart from the United States.

Wood, a pro-South Democrat, wrote: ‘As a free city, New York would have the whole and united support of the southern states as well as the other states to whose interests and rights under the Constitution she has always been true.’

Bankers and industrialists relied on inexpensive southern cotton to stock the textile mills and agricultural exports to keep shipping traffic coming into New York Harbor.

Additionally, the throngs of new immigrants in the city had no desire to see the slaves freed, Mr Holzer writes.

Many of the new transplants from Europe were unabashedly racist against the blacks. They also feared that freeing millions slaves would flood the labor market with new workers willing to work for even less money than the new immigrants – thus driving down wages and making jobs harder to come by.

On January 7, 1861, he sent out a message to the six southern states that had declared their intendance. The official proclamation announced the appointment of three commissioners to represent New York City, independent of the federal government.

His message to the southern states: ‘Preserve peace, secure the rights of the South.’

A month later, Lincoln made his only trip to New York as sitting president. He was not warmly received, but he made himself clear to Wood: ‘There is nothing that can ever bring me to the destruction of the Union.’

He also reminded Wood that New York owed its prosperity not to the South, but to the Union as a whole. By the time war broke out, Wood begrudgingly backed the federal government.

Read more: The Civil War in 50 Objects: New book reveals little-known stories about war | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Town Line, New York Secession

Town Line is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Erie County, New York, United States. The population was 2,367 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Buffalo–Niagara Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area.

The community is located on the boundary between the towns of Lancaster and Alden. Town Line is at the junction of Town Line Road and Broadway.

Oral lore says that in 1861, 125 men supposedly gathered in an informal meeting and passed by 85 to 40 a resolution to secede from the United States. Because Town Line was never an incorporated municipal entity in the first place and had no well-defined boundaries, the resolution had no legal effect; neither the Confederacy nor U.S. ever formally recognized the action. The town historian says there are no written records of what happened. Several members of the German-American community fled to Canada; five residents crossed the Mason-Dixon Line to fight with the Confederates in their Army of Northern Virginia, and twenty residents fought for the Union Army.

In 1945, Town Line gained national publicity for the 1861 vote, after Vicksburg, Mississippi and Dade County, Georgia both held ceremonial votes to rejoin the union. Town Line held a ceremony on January 24, 1946 to "rejoin" the Union, along with a vote (overseen by Hollywood celebrity Cesar Romero) in which the residents voted, 90 to 23, to rescind the old vote.

Town Line, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hamlet of Town Line "Heads South" in 1861

Nearby Hamlet Left Union in Civil War Days

Few residents recall a time when Town Line NY voted allegiance
to South's Stars & Bars

Buffalo Courier Express Feb. 21 1937 & Sept. 3 1933

Broadway begins at Lafayette Square, which has a history as old as the city, but is set apart as a memorial to men who died fighting for the Union cause during the Civil War. The Square is also hallowed because one night, the Great Emancipator himself walked alone in the little park that was there when he stopped in Buffalo on his way to the White House. Lincoln won by a scant majority in Buffalo and Erie County in the election which made him President. But the reception Buffalonians gave him must have assured him of their support in the polices he was to pursue in the coming four years. Walking alone in the little park, Lincoln could not have known that fourteen miles out Broadway from Lafayette Square was the tiny Hamlet of Town Line, who had a majority of residents who opposed him, his policies and the rest of the United States loyal to the Union.

AbeLincoln.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Sympathized with Confederacy - Town Line had so many Southern sympathizers that it took action unparalleled in the United States north of the Mason-Dixon Line at the beginning of the Civil War. Town Line, by a majority vote of it's citizens, seceded from the Union. Almost 500 miles away from the nearest Confederate State, the obscure settlement was an isolated but loyal patch of the Confederate States of America. While the rest of Erie County sent thousands into battle for the Union, it is believed at least five men from Town Line went South and fought for the Bonnie Blue Flag of the Confederacy. In the files of an old Lancaster newspaper is the angry account of the meeting of "copperheads" who drew up the articles of secession and signed them.

Jefferson+Davis.jpg

Jeffferson Davis

Why Town Line left the Union is a mystery. It's residents at that time were sons and daughters of pioneers who came from Vermont or Germany. Such ancestry would almost guarantee an abhorrence of slavery, but Town Line then was a Democratic stronghold. There was little economic reason for such sympathy, for Town Line residents were either farmers or woodsmen. The community was by no means in accord on the political questions of the day. More than a score of men enlisted in the Union Army. At the first call of volunteers after the fall of Fort Sumter, Town Line sent it's quota of men for the Army of the Potomac. But at least five men left their homes and farms and it was generally supposed that they went south, and if they got through Union Lines, joined the Army of Virginia.

civil_war_flags_sm.jpg

Majority for Secession - Feelings about the war ran high in the Hamlet. They came to a head in the late part of 1861. In a stormy embittered meeting the community's 125 voters one night, after a stormy session,voted 85 to 40 for secession and cheered Jefferson Davis. Town Line, fourteen miles from Lafayette Square, became a part of the Confederacy.

The community's action came despite a tradition of a united North. George Huber said "Lancaster was the center of a "copperhead" community, although it was loyal, but Town Line, just east of here, was a bit of Southern rebellion in the midst of what everybody thought was a united North." He said, "We people of the village were a bit embarrassed when Town Line seceded from the Union by a vote of it's citizens. "But communication wasn't what it is now, and few of the Yankees held it against Town Line -- mostly for the reason that other communities in Western New York hadn't heard about it."

IMG_2400.JPG

At upper left Henry Urshel, village blacksmith shows desk where the articles of secession were drawn up. Two reconstructed Confederates of Erie County Leland Kidder left, and Charles F. King who were born in Town Line when with the Confederacy

Townline.jpg

"When war was declared, Lancaster seethed with the news," he continued, "and many were the nights we stayed up as late as 12 o'clock to talk things out. The first war meeting was held on the evening of April 23d at the American Hotel and was addressed by Dr. Hunt and Almon Clapp from Buffalo. I was twelve years old at the time, but I remember the stern faces of the elders and the storm of passionate and angry discussion. Soon the town split into two factions, it was a very tense situation. George Bruce held court on the steps of the building where he and his son were closing up the affairs of the Merchants Bank and was the center of a group of rabid Southern sympathizers and avowed democrats. He made no pretense of concealing his sympathy for the South.

Complete article

But the fact that NonRacist Whites are trying to protect Indians infuriates me. Most Indians are not worth defending. Kind and sweet people get killed in civil war and Indians are certainly not worthy of such sacrifice. Indians have weak conscience.
American tourist gang-raped in Manali: Police

AFP Jun 4, 2013, 04.23PM IST

NEW DELHI: An American tourist was allegedly gang-raped by a truck driver and two of his accomplices in Himachal Pradesh, police said on Tuesday.

"The 30-year-old was raped by men in a truck on Monday night. They offered her a lift and she accepted it," police inspector Abhimanyu Kumar told AFP.

The incident took place in Manali, a tourist destination 500 kilometres (300 miles) from New Delhi.

Kumar said the medical tests have confirmed that the tourist was raped and police were hunting for the accused men.

"The woman cannot remember the number plate of the truck and she could not understand what the accused were talking about. They drove the truck to an isolated spot and raped her for nearly one hour," he said.

Kumar said every truck driver in Manali had been ordered to report at the local police station as part of the investigation.

A survey by a trade body released earlier this year found that the number of foreign women tourists visiting India had dropped by 35 percent following several sex attacks that have made global headlines.

The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India reported earlier this year that female tourist arrivals had fallen after the fatal gang rape of a 23-year-old Indian student by six men on a bus in New Delhi in December.

The gang rape brought simmering anger about endemic sex crimes in the country to the surface and led to sometimes violent protests in cities across the country.

A Swiss cyclist was gang-raped in Madhya Pradesh in March, while a South Korean tourist was allegedly drugged and raped in the same state in January by the son of the owner of a hotel where she was staying.

American tourist gang-raped in Manali: Police - Times Of India

In this war, SYMBOLISM is being extensively used to communicate with enemy side. SYMBOLISM is being used to convey messages like warning, intent/offer of peace, deterrence, hint of strategy, boast, ridicule etc.
Firemen battle blaze for 40 hours, building collapses

TNN | Jun 4, 2013, 06.04 AM IST

HUBLI: After battling for more than 40 hours, firefighters finally succeeded in extinguishing the fire that broke out in a cold storage building in Mundargi Industrial Area in Bellary on Monday evening.

The six-storey Sai Balaji Cold Storage India Ltd on the Bellary-Bangalore Road in Bellary caught fire around 4am on Sunday. By the time firefighters reached the spot, the fire had spread to other floors of the building. Firemen battled the blaze till evening, but it continued to spread to other floors.

Fire force from Shiraguppa, Hospet, Kurgod and Hubli were also pressed into service. More than 12 fire engines and a Bronto sky lift machine were pressed into service. Firefighters battled overnight, and around 7pm Monday, they succeeded in extinguishing the fire completely. But the cold storage building, which consists of nearly 10 blocks, came crashing down and collapsed completely by evening.

Farmers from Bellary and even Andhra Pradesh, Guntur, Karnool, Guntakal and other surrounding areas used this cold storage facility to preserve their agricultural produce, particularly chilli, maize, jowar and other pulses, said farmers. Farmers who grew chilli and other pulses would store their produce here to sell it when the market price was good, but our produce were gutted, said Shivappa, a farmer.

Sources said all the produce kept in the cold storage would have been covered under crop insurance.

Short-circuit, says top cop

N Rudramuni, DySP, Bellary Rural police station, said: "According to preliminary reports, we found that short-circuit was the main reason for the major fire breaking out in this building. As there was only one entrance, we broke open some walls to gain entry."

About 1.20 lakh gunny bags of farm produce, including chilli and other pulses stored here, were gutted. Initially, we estimated the loss at Rs 4-5 crore. Including the building, the loss is likely to be around Rs 15 crore, he added.

He said there was no loss of life as police had taken all precautionary measures to prevent people from entering the cold storage. "We've already set up a team of officers to investigate the case and find the exact reason for the incident to prevent such incidents in future," he said.

Firemen battle blaze for 40 hours, building collapses - The Times of India

21st Century American Civil War has already started.
Gen. John Allen (A Southerner) had hinted at civil war

Gen. John Allen: 'I'm Mad As Hell' About Insider Attacks In Afghanistan

Posted: 09/30/2012 9:40 pm Updated: 10/01/2012 5:20 pm

The top American commander of troops in Afghanistan showed signs of impatience about the growing spate of insider attacks that have taken a toll on U.S. troops during a blunt interview on "60 Minutes" Sunday night.

"I'm mad as hell about them, to be honest with you," Gen. John Allen said in response to a question about the incidents, which the military calls insider, or green-on-blue, attacks. "We're going to get after this. It reverberates everywhere, across the United States. You know, we're willing to sacrifice a lot for this campaign. But we're not willing to be murdered for it."

President Barack Obama's plan for withdrawal from Afghanistan calls for the U.S. to train Afghan security forces to defend their own country as most of the remaining 68,000 U.S. troops return home in 2014.

In the meantime, Allen -- who said that the "vast majority" of Afghans and Afghan soldiers stood with the U.S. -- warned that Americans should be prepared to see the deadly attacks continue.

"The enemy recognizes this is a vulnerability," Allen said. "You know, in Iraq, the signature weapon system that we hadn't seen before was the IED. We had to adjust to that. Here, I think the signature attack that we're beginning to see is going to be the insider attack."

Allen's comments come at a moment when the fate of the troop-training program in Afghanistan is seriously in doubt.

U.S. forces resumed joint patrols with their Afghan counterparts, halted after a spike in insider attacks prompted a temporary reevaluation period, only last week.

But in the days since the patrols were resumed, several more suspected insider killings have occurred, including a wild firefight over the weekend between American and Afghan units that left two Americans and five Afghan soldiers dead. The military has called the incident the result of a miscommunication.

On Sunday, the Pentagon formally announced the death of the 2,000th servicemember in the war in Afghanistan, a gruesome benchmark in a conflict that has now lasted 11 years. So far this year, about 1 in 5 combat-related deaths of a U.S. or NATO-allied troop has been at the hands of Afghan friendly fire, according to Reuters.

Last week, a former top defense official who currently advises the campaign of President Barack Obama said that the green-on-blue killings were largely a sign of "Taliban desperation" and a "very occasional" occurrence.

Gen. John Allen: 'I'm Mad As Hell' About Insider Attacks In Afghanistan

But the fact that NonRacist Whites are trying to protect Indians infuriates me. Most Indians are not worth defending. Kind and sweet people get killed in civil war and Indians are certainly not worthy of such sacrifice. Indians have weak conscience. For a bit of wealth Indians turn into enemy of their own siblings. Betraying foreign saviours is nothing in comparison. Anti-racists may wage war for the sake of Japan, Palestine, Iran or to oblige one individual Dr Manmohan Singh and not for typical Indians.
Mazurier wants cops to trace ‘real abuser’ of his little daughter

In a letter to city police commissioner, Frenchman alleges his wife framed him on a rape charge. He wants the cops to trace the ‘real culprit’, and is likely to go to court if the police do not register his complaint.

The bitter legal battle between French consular official Pascal Mazurier and his estranged Indian wife Suja, who has accused him of sexually abusing their four-year-old daughter, is set to escalate with the Frenchman approaching the police to trace the “real culprit” and his wife’s counsel saying they will approach the Supreme Court to have his bail cancelled.

Speaking to Bangalore Mirror on Monday, Mazurier, consular attaché, chief of Joint Chancellery until mid-June, said, “The investigation by the police in the case against me is complete. The High Court granted me bail because the DNA test conducted on my daughter showed that the semen samples taken from her did not match with my DNA. Even the statements of witnesses have given me a clean chit. This being the case, the police should find out whose semen it was. Nobody is trying to find the abuser. Even my wife, who levelled a rape charge against me, did not bother to ask the police to find out whose semen it was. As a father, it is my right to protect my children. I have requested the police commissioner to order a thorough investigation.’’

Nearly three weeks after he was freed on bail in October, after spending four months in jail, Mazurier is yet to see his children. “They are not at the house where we stayed earlier. My wife has hidden them somewhere,” he claimed.

“My parents are divorced and I know what it means for children to be denied parental love. We had a very good relationship till she started quarrelling with me and wanted a divorce. I didn’t want my children to suffer and so I adjusted with her. She started asking for money and I have transferred around Rs 30 lakh to her French account. She has an eye on my house in France; she also pressured me to buy property in her name in Kerala, which I declined to do as I am a French national and cannot purchase property here. On the day she filed her complaint, she was very fine with me and even sent an affectionate message. But in the evening she lodged the complaint. She has framed me,” Mazurier said.

In his complaint to the city police commissioner, Mazurier has urged the police to catch the “real culprit”. “I love my children a lot; I was the one looking after them when my wife would be out late at parties. As the DNA report suggests that my daughter was sexually abused, I suspect a man with access to my daughter in my absence was responsible.

“I wonder why my wife has not tried to find out who the person is,” his letter says.

“It is my duty as a father to try my best and protect my children. Who will be responsible if my daughter is abused again? My wife has falsely accused me and has made false statements to the police and the family court. As a father it is my highest duty to respectfully request you to investigate in order to identify the man who committed the sexual abuse on my minor daughter. It is also of the highest importance to ensure that my children are in a safe environment,” Mazurier says in his letter.

“From the day I came out of jail, I have been going around like a mad person looking for my childen. My old house has been vacated and my wife’s mobile is not reachable. In the future, my daughter will become a lady and I am sure she will ask about these incidents. I will have to explain to my children why their names are on the internet. I will have to explain why their mother framed me. It is my opinion that you as the head of the police, and I as the father of my children have to expose those who misused the law for their personal agendas,” he says in the letter.

The city police are moving cautiously over the development. “Mazurier has approached us with a written plea, but before registering a complaint, we have to take a legal opinion as his wife has lodged a complaint against him and he has also been charge-sheeted. We have sounded the legal department and after discussing the matter with the police commissioner, we will take a call,” additional commissioner (law and order) T Suneel Kumar told Bangalore Mirror.

Sources said that if the police do not register Mazurier’s complaint, he plans to approach the court to direct the police to do so.

Mazurier has received support from Children’s Rights Initiative For Shared Parenting (CRISP) headed by Kumar Jahgirdar, who accompanied him to a meeting with Kumar and police commissioner Jyothiprakash Mirji.

Meanwhile, Pramila Nesargi, senior advocate and counsel for Mazurier’s wife Suja, said, “Let him approach the court to see his children, and we will then allow the children to meet him. He is still accused of sexual abuse and we don’t want the children to meet him. We are approaching the Supreme Court to cancel the bail granted to him by the High Court and to order a re-investigation of the case, as there are loopholes in the police investigation. The DNA report which says the DNA sample does not match Pascal's has been manipulated. The children are safe and Suja is looking after them well.”

Mazurier wants cops to trace

Shooting Rampage Leaves 5 Dead in California

shooting-articleLarge.jpg

Police officers and sheriff’s deputies searched Santa Monica College on Friday. A gunman was killed by the police on the campus.

By IAN LOVETT and ADAM NAGOURNEY
Published: June 7, 2013

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Four people were killed and five wounded on Friday morning as a gunman, dressed in black and carrying an assault rifle, strode across Santa Monica firing at people, cars, a public bus and buildings before being shot and killed by the police at the Santa Monica College Library, the authorities said.

The Santa Monica police at first said six people had been killed by the gunman. On Friday evening, Sgt. Richard Lewis said the actual figure was four. One of the victims was said to be in critical condition.

The shooting took place about 10 minutes away from where President Obama was attending a private fund-raising lunch before heading to Palm Springs for a meeting with the president of China. He went by motorcade to the Los Angeles airport and flew to Palm Springs about 2 p.m.

The gunman, who was not identified, was described as 25 to 30 years old. His body was spotted lifeless about 200 yards from the library.

The carnage began Friday morning in eastern Santa Monica after the police responded to reports of shots being fired and a house engulfed in flames. The police said that two bodies had been found in the house, and that they were investigating whether those victims were related to the gunman.

From there, the gunman, wielding what the police said was probably an AR-15, hijacked a car driven by a young women and forced her to drive her across town toward the campus. Along the way, he emerged from the car at at least two intersections in this quiet beach town, firing indiscriminately at buildings, a public bus, cars and a police vehicle before ending his rampage in a confrontation with Santa Monica city and campus police officers.

At one point on Friday, the police said they had detained a potential suspect who they thought might have had a role in the shootings. Sergeant Lewis said the person was released and had no involvement in the shooting.

The authorities said the gunman, in addition to carrying the assault rifle, was armed with other weapons, including at least one handgun that was found at the scene.

Witnesses described a morning of terror, chaos and confusion.

Joe Orcutt, who works at the bursar’s office at Santa Monica College, said he went out to investigate after hearing what he first thought was a car backfiring. “He turns and points his gun at me, and at that point I jumped out of the way,” Mr. Orcutt said. “He shot, and I ducked out of the way.”

Witnesses described racing out the back door of the college library after the man walked in and opened fire.

“I didn’t want to take any chances,” said Cyrus Jabbari, 19, a freshman at the college.

Brett Holzhauer, 19, a student who was in the library, said blood was smeared on the walls and floors.

“There were hundreds of rounds of clips laying on the floor,” he said. “It looked like the guy just dropped his stuff right there.”

None of the people who were killed or wounded were immediately identified.

The rampage, starting at the burning house and ending at the library, took about 10 minutes, the authorities said.

Two people were found dead inside the burning house on Yorkshire Avenue. From there, the gunman, who the police said was wearing a bulletproof vest, shot two people sitting in a Ford Explorer; one of them died and the other was taken to Ronald Reagan U.C.L.A. Medical Center, where she was listed in critical condition. He continued to Santa Monica College, where he fatally shot a woman he encountered at the campus before heading toward the library.

Another woman was listed in serious condition at the Reagan hospital. Three other women had minor injuries and were in good condition at the U.C.L.A. Medical Center, Santa Monica.

Patrick T. Fallon contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/us/santa-monica-college-shooting.html?_r=0

21st Century American Civil War has already started.
The pattern was same in 19th century. Actual war began long before ‘official’ date of war. For instance, Wikipedia states that even before the outbreak of the war, the territory of Kansas had been the scene of fighting between anti-slavery and pro-slavery forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom