What's new

1990 elections were rigged, rules SC

bc040400065

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD:The Supreme Court on Friday ruled that the Asghar Khan petition was admissible for regular hearing and ordered the government to take legal action against former army chief Mirza Aslam Beg and the ISI’s former director general Lt-Gen (retd) Asad Durrani.

A three-judge bench comprising the chief justice, Justice Jawwad S. Khawaja and Justice Khilji Arif Hussain issued the short order after hearing a petition filed in 1996 by Khan requesting the court to look into allegations that the ISI had financed many politicians in the 1990 elections by dishing out Rs140 million to create the Islami Jamhoori Ittehad (IJI) and stop Benazir Bhutto’s PPP from coming to power. The petition was based on an affidavit of the ISI’s former director general Lt-Gen (retd) Asad Durrani.

The Supreme Court in its short order ruled that there was ample evidence to suggest that the 1990 elections were rigged and that a political cell maintained by the then president Ghulam Ishaq Khan supported the formation of the IJI to stop the PPP’s government from coming into power.

The apex court moreover ruled that political cells of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and President House should be abolished and ordered the government to take legal action against the former retired generals who were involved in the corruption as well as against Younus Habib, former president of the now defunct Mehran Bank.

The court further ordered that money that was illegally disbursed among the politicians by the then president and the ISI should be recovered and deposited in the Habib Bank along with the accumulated interest on it. Adding to that, the short order said that legal action should also be taken against the politicians who received the money.

The ruling further said that Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) should investigate into the matter.

Moreover, the Supreme Court, in its interpretation of the Constitution, said that political activism was not the domain of the military and the intelligence agencies. Their job is to cooperate with the government, the judgment said.
1990 elections were rigged, rules SC | DAWN.COM

Maulvi Nawaz Sharif won.
Just goes on to show how much respect these Khaqis have for The Constitution of Pakistan.
But what's disappointing is, the involvement of politicians. Politicians are supposed to be our future but given the blatant disregard for the constitution, one wonders if that's indeed the case. Could these guys really steer the nation towards success if they've put a price tag on themselves?

Well, you've every right to be pessimistic in the light of recent developments, but at least I am optimistic. I believe most of the politicians have come to their senses and have realized that there's no shortcuts, especially Asif Sahab and Mian Sahab.
Now let's see how Asif Sahab tackles this situation. I'm sure GHQ wouldn't be too thrilled with the judgement.

What was the main cause of tension between Benazir Bhutto and the army.

Bhutto Sahab's judicial murder. Hameed Gul, DG ISI behind IJI, said ''There would be an atmosphere of distrust over Benazir Bhutto in Corps Commander meetings back then''.

The counsel pointed out that Mirza Aslam Beg had not taken oath under the 1973 Constitution and instead took oath in August 1952 under the Indian Army Act of 1911 amended as Indian Army Act 1950 for Pakistan, which did not prohibit the participation in political activities.

I've been harping on The Oath issue a lot lately; here we see that the SC recognizes how pernicious the effects of a mischievous military oath can be. I am surprised, however, that soldiers, officers, and bureaucrats were not required to affirm their employment by pledging themselves to the new oath. That allowed plenty of play for people to work at cross-purposes to each other - and makes one wonder if Pakistan isn't suffering the same conflict the court winkled out today as well as twenty years ago.

For once I have some sympathy for late Benazir ... Nawaz Sharif is such a Munafiq . Let's see how the government persues the case against NS after directions by supreme court to hand over the investigations and recovery of public money to FIA ... If past record of this government is any guide ...they will disappoint , presumebly because they have many skeletons in their own closets. Muk Muqa is the word in the street i-e a silent alliance between Nawaz Sharif and Zardari.

Wonder why have the supreme court didnt blame the politicians who took money ? or we have to wait for the trial

Army did not and still does not trust PPP.
1. The handing of sikhs to India
Nuclear program.

Bhutto is the father of nuclear program and when he was in jail it was benazir who conveyed messages between the Munir ahmad khan Scientist and ZA Bhutto and if she was not trust worthy then i think nuclear program is more sensitive thing then the handing of sikhs to india.

Back
Top Bottom