What's new

1971 War: How the US tried to corner India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabong1
9 months fighting between pakistani army and Mukti Bahini.
Last 2 weeks of the war after pakistan army is on the verge of defeat india steps in and sets up a victory for itself......well done.
If the indian army was for real why not come in at the start and then we could have said india has defeated pakistan.
Why waste our energy, when the armed banglas was enough to deal with the PA.
we would have lost men annd materials and maybe pakistan would have provided a united front.

now why would someone not stack the odds in his favour?

There was not a single sign of glory in that battle from Indian side. From a military point of view, they did not manage to capture a single pakistani post in East Pakistan. Go and check the facts.... Yes, to break up Pakistan was a deliberate action which India due to our impotent senior leadership at that time made the plan of partition succeed.

what is the use of winning a battle if you lose the war?

the indian army knew what it needed to capture and what it could just bypass. it went ahead and captured dhaka and ignored the army posts.

though that really raises the question, what were those posts supposed to protect? the cities or themselves?

I am pretty sure after reading your and niazs post my understanding on the subject is weak and flawed.
Thankyou for giving me a deeper understanding of the dynamics and emotions behind bangladesh identity and history.
Niaz has put into context the political side of the bangladesh case during the period where he pointed out i am wrong in thinking that the pakistani PMs with bangladesh heritage had any real power.
There is one more point......my dads old pakistani passport is in urdu,bengali and english.....was this done as a conciliary gesture toward the benglis or was it there from the start?

After 1952 bloody language movement,Bangla was recognised as a state language on 1956.Your father probably have the passport after 1956.

I have a 100 Rupee note(got from my grandfather),which has Bengali,Urdu and English on it.

I am pretty sure after reading your and niazs post my understanding on the subject is weak and flawed.
Thankyou for giving me a deeper understanding of the dynamics and emotions behind bangladesh identity and history.
Niaz has put into context the political side of the bangladesh case during the period where he pointed out i am wrong in thinking that the pakistani PMs with bangladesh heritage had any real power.
There is one more point......my dads old pakistani passport is in urdu,bengali and english.....was this done as a conciliary gesture toward the benglis or was it there from the start?

Without a strong democratic process it was almost impossible to keep the two sides together which had very little in common. Even Islam was practiced differently. But Pakistan as well as Bangladesh failed to have a functioning democratic systme till this day. Also PK army at that time was crude and power hungry with very little morale. W. Pakistan lacked in political institution, which were unable to force army to back step and E. Pakistan was way too far from power house in Pindi.

the indian army knew what it needed to capture and what it could just bypass. it went ahead and captured dhaka and ignored the army posts.

though that really raises the question, what were those posts supposed to protect? the cities or themselves?

Basically Indian army had only couple of real battle where infantry was engaged and the most remarkable one is Akhaura and then followup in Ashuganj.
By the time Indian soldiers entered BD, the PK already lost the war, the ceremonial signing was only left.

Thank you for actually trying to understand what I wrote unlike many others who spill different kinds of emotion while reacting to my writing:)

I am not sure but I wrote to someone's post about his dad having a passport from b4 1971 that had both Bangla, Urdu and English. You see I have this Pakistani rupee note from b4 71 too(actually it was in my mom's collection, incidentally) and it also has Bangla, urdu and english. Bangla was not given any national status before 1956. Bangla was given the status amid mass protest, which sometimes took violent forms for rational reasons and i hope you know what happened in 1952, February the 21st. So it was appealed in every way possible and as a result Pakistan made Bangla one of the official languages beside Urdu and English, in 1956 not around 1947/1948. I doubt it would have been the case if we did not demand it. That's what my understanding is.

Those who claimed to be winners in 1971 war why don’t they attack Pakistan now?? Simply because they are not competent enough to win a decisive war against Pakistan ‘singlehandedly’; they can only in wars by spreading anarchy in other countries. That is what we always try to convey to our BD brothers that by seeking help from India they have created a lot of problems for themselves and we also have to listen a lot of bullshit stuff from the Indians about their so called bravery that they have won a war not by fighting themselves but by spreading anarchy in other country.

They have won a war singlehandedly huh. Those who were defeated by a country smaller in size badly are claiming of winning a war.

Basically Indian army had only couple of real battle where infantry was engaged and the most remarkable one is Akhaura and then followup in Ashuganj.
By the time Indian soldiers entered BD, the PK already lost the war, the ceremonial signing was only left.

It looks like u dont know ur national histrory.

Let me quote here what TT like Niaz said in one of his earlier posts in this thread:

"First seeds of discord were sown when Urdu was declared as national language and there were riots in East Pakistan back in 1948. This is also true that arrogant attitude of West Pakistani beaurocarcy didn't help. But one cannot deny the fact that without active Indian involvement Bangla Desh would not be there.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
you have me mate . what an answer .

Those who claimed to be winners in 1971 war why don’t they attack Pakistan now?? Simply because they are not competent enough to win a decisive war against Pakistan ‘singlehandedly’; they can only in wars by spreading anarchy in other countries. That is what we always try to convey to our BD brothers that by seeking help from India they have created a lot of problems for themselves and we also have to listen a lot of bullshit stuff from the Indians about their so called bravery that they have won a war not by fighting themselves but by spreading anarchy in other country.

They have won a war singlehandedly huh. Those who were defeated by a country smaller in size badly are claiming of winning a war.

Are we school boys..come & fight with me now ??

Wherever the need has arisen the IA has acted. Siachen / Kargil for instance.

Those who claimed to be winners in 1971 war why don’t they attack Pakistan now?? .

just shows how war hungry you are sir , but unfortunately we are not . go to some other country , they might share a war with you .:what:. war is not a solution its a problem .

Simply because they are not competent enough to win a decisive war against Pakistan ‘singlehandedly’; they can only in wars by spreading anarchy in other countries. That is what we always try to convey to our BD brothers that by seeking help from India they have created a lot of problems for themselves and we also have to listen a lot of bullshit stuff from the Indians about their so called bravery that they have won a war not by fighting themselves but by spreading anarchy in other country.

todays whom you are calling bangladesh brothers in 1971 you were raping their wives and killing their children thats whay they had to come to india .
and the no of refugees became so large that india had to do something .its not about that we entered the war late . its just that we tried to ignore war but when it became impossible we attacked your country and won .
and sir plz tell me in which war were we defeated by a smaller country .

is it the 65 war then plz stop reading your books that teach you to hate india .( in some pakistani books they tell students to hate india - just shows what are you teaching your kids ). we didnt loose 65 war but we didnt win it either . it was a evenly fought war do some research and come back again .

and believe it or not you were trashed in the 71 war . its up to you whether you want to accept it and move on towards improving yourself or sit down at one place and argue .

todays whom you are calling bangladesh brothers in 1971 you were raping their wives and killing their children thats whay they had to come to india .

That is your claim and you can see that many of BD members are not accepting your claim. You are killing thousands of minority people every now and then so better to see your country first.

See your leaders like Varun Gandhi first how much violence hungry he his before saying any thing about Pakistan.

That is your claim and you can see that many of BD members are not accepting your claim. You are killing thousands of minority people every now and then so better to see your country first..

okay . india is doing all the bad things and pakistan never did anything wrong to the people of BD . i am not able to see any BD member contradicting my claims .

See your leaders like Varun Gandhi first how much violence hungry he his before saying any thing about Pakistan.

you yourself know that it was a publicity stunt that grew out of proportion ( thanks to the indian media ) .
these greedy politicians can do anything to bag votes so plz dont trust them .

BD people considering it insulting when Indians say that with out them BD could not have got its independence so India was not victorious in 1971 war.

BD people considering it insulting when Indians say that with out them BD could not have got its independence so India was not victorious in 1971 war.

Logical - some BD ppl say they think bagladesh's handmade weapons totting 'army' would have defeated pakistan army in 1971 w/o indian support.

Conclusion - India was not victorious in 1971 war :)

Your argument is impeccably crafted, i'm speechless.

Back
Top Bottom