What's new

195 Pak army men to be tried by Dhaka for war crimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Well, there were ten million refugees in India. That should tell us something as well.

Can they be tried! -
bdnews24.com

Can they be tried!

Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 26 Jan 2014 15:01 BdST Updated: 26 Jan 2014 15:01 BdST

Law Minister Anisul Huq says he is exploring whether 195 Pakistan army personnel, released forty years ago under the Shimla Agreement, can be tried for war crimes.

He said the International Crime Act-1973, with its amendments, allows such trials to take place.

He said he is seeking to figure out the legalities of the issue.

Huq said he has come to know of an initiative to try the 195 Pakistani soldiers for their crimes during Bangladesh’s 1971 Liberation War.

Bengali-language daily ‘Kaler Kantha’ ran a report on Sunday on the issue, whose headline, roughly translated, reads ‘Bangladesh to try Pakistani war criminals’.

It claimed the International Crimes Tribunal’s investigation agency and prosecution has discussed the issue several times.

anisul-haque-law-minister.jpg

The 'Kaler Kantha' report said that the 195 prisoners of war were handed over to Pakistan by India under a tripartite agreement involving Bangladesh,India and Pakistan in 1974.

Pakistan had then promised to try these POWs for 'war crimes' -- a promise that was never kept.

Journalists approached Law Minister Huq on Sunday to find out what the government's policy on the issue was like.

“The International Crimes Tribunal is an independent body. I learnt about this step yesterday. I heard an initiative has been taken to try the 195 men who were identified as war criminals in 1973,” he said.

Huq said he would check whether the initiative to try them would violate the Shimla Agreement under which the Pakistanis had been released.

“I don’t want to say anything on the issue until and unless I get this clarification,” he said.

The Parliament did not clear the agreement.

Asked whether it would be an obstacle to the proposed trial, Huq said: “It doesn’t matter anymore whether the Parliament passes it or not since the agreement has already been effective.

“Those who were supposed to be released under the agreement, have already been let off.

“What I need to look for is whether we can do it (try the Pakistanis) now.”

Asked how Pakistan nationals would be tried at Bangladesh court, the minister referred to the system of trial in absentia.

I think the trial of main accused 195 Pakistani soldier is another farce by Awami govt just like the trial of Jamaat leaders trial . If their motive were to get justice then they should have think about those 195 accused at first or altogether with Jamaat leaders .
now after 40 years when we told forget and forgive to Pakistan and start a new journey then what benefit Bangladesh would achieve other then souring relation with Pakistan.

^^ Well, there were ten million refugees in India. That should tell us something as well.

Are you sure then million is an accurate figure? Because the single largest migration after WWII was the partition where 12 million people were displaced and the second largest was the Afghan Migration after the Soviet Invasion where close to 7 million people were displaced. These are recorded figures, estimates may place them higher.

Sorry I keep posting new stats, I am a bit of a statistics freak. Do a lot of number crunching.

Anyway, yes a number of people fled to India for safety, security, jobs, food and of course militant training.

Apparently it's you and your government who is barking like bitch to seek attention. From our side it's middle finger :cool:

in 71 same things are talking ur govt like u .but not middle finger we kicked u in ur hole body on our brave country...we are good muslim and good people that's why we left ur 195 millitary people because ur govt promise those time that they will judge them in ur country.but u people don't kept ur promise that's why we r preparing to punish them as soon as possible......and pls stop ur fucking mouth because when u open ur mouth i can't tolerate it .bacz it's smell like dog.......

in 71 same things are talking ur govt like u .but not middle finger we kicked u in ur hole body on our brave country...we are good muslim and good people that's why we left ur 195 millitary people because ur govt promise those time that they will judge them in ur country.but u people don't kept ur promise that's why we r preparing to punish them as soon as possible......and pls stop ur fucking mouth because when u open ur mouth i can't tolerate it .bacz it's smell like dog.......

And how will you punish these 195 individuals?

I was looking for evidences of 3 million rapes, i guess i found one :D

The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) has started the process of investigation to try the 195 warcrime accused in the Pakistan army.

This marks the beginning of the initiative for the long-awaited trial of any Pakistani citizen for war crimes on Bangladesh soil 42 years ago.

According to sources, the investigation started following several rounds of discussions between the investigation branch of the ICT and the prosecution team.

A total of 195 prisoners of war accused of war crimes were handed over to Pakistan under an India-Pakistan-Bangladesh tripartite agreement in 1974.

It has been said since then Bangladesh would not have any jurisdiction for trial of these persons but how the country steps into the process of trying these war criminals through the investigation by the ICT investigation team against these 195.

By now, several of the 195 Pakistani army and air force officials have passed away. Hence, only the living ones will face the trial.

Cases will be filed against the accused after the ICT investigation team submits the probe report after completion of inquiry.

In this connection, ICT prosecutor Dr Tureen Afroz said, “The crimes committed by Pakistanis in 1971 took place on the soil of Bangladesh and so Bangladesh state has every right to hold trial of those crimes.”

The new state Bangladesh was born on March 26 of 1971 and the trial of the crimes committed on this land after 26 March will be held very much in Bangladesh.

Moreover, by now, ICT in its various verdicts have given the decision for trying the Pakistani war criminals. The tribunal has said it clearly that the trial shall be held under the International Crimes (Tribunals) Act 1973. Even in the verdict on appeal also, opinion has been given for ensuring the trial.

Tureen Afroz said ICT prosecution and investigation teams already held several rounds of discussions on investigation against these 195 war criminals.

Accordingly, the investigation team has started collecting different info and data in this regard. The investigation team has already got important information and file about these 195 criminals. However, completion of the investigation will take time.

She said important information about genocide and war crimes in Bangladesh came up in the report of Hamudur Rahman Commission formed by Pakistan in 1972.

Bangladesh has got the right to hold trial of this crime under the ICT Act of 1973.

Legal expert Barrister M Amir-Ul Islam said the ICT Act 1973 of our country is enough to try the 195 Pak war criminals who went back to Pakistan. That law has specified that the trial of the crimes would be held in the country where those were committed.”Veteran legal expert Barrister Rafiqul Haque said the tripartite treety is in no way any obstacle to the trial of 195 war crimes accused of Pakistan army. He said the initiative taken by the investigation team of ICT is praiseworthy. “The tripartite agreement is no bar to their trial. There is no bar on the trial of 195 accused under our 1973 ICT Act,” he added.

Under the tripartite agreement 195 war criminals were repatriated to Pakistan on April 9, 1974. But legal experts say as the tripartite agreement has not been ratified by Bangladesh parliament, it carries no legal basis.

Bangladesh prepared a list of 195 officials of Pakistan army and air force. Of them, 194 were army men and the lone air force official was Air Commodore Enamul Huq Khan. Among the army officers, one was a Lt General, five were Maj Generals, 20 Brigadiers, four Colonels, 40 Lt Colonels, 81 Majors, 41 Captains and two Lieutenants.

These officers included Lt-General Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi and Maj-Generals Nazar Hossain Shah, Mohammad Hossain Ansari, Mohammad Zamshed, Quazi Abdul Mazid Khan and Rao Farman Ali.

daily sun | First Page | 195 Pak army men to be tried by Dhaka for war crimes

I like to comment on bolded part. THe legitimacy of the bolded part is laughable, take that claim to any open court and they shred you to the pieces. Bangladesh came in to being in December 1971. All the operations conducted until 16 December 1971 were on East Pakistani territory, A de facto Pakistani Land, So bengali's have no right or legal grounds of trying Pakistani's who have done anything on a Pakistani land except the GoP itself. The audacity of Bengali's are laughable. At Least get your legal ground straight in a legal battle.

This shows Bangladesh and Pakistan aren't going to become brotherly nation anytime soon.

The day those Pakistanis got hanged BD will give a great tribute to all Shaheeds who were killed by Pakistani army during '71 but Pakistani army will face a huge reputation crisis in world if even one army man get tried by other country. The way they reacted for Butcher Kader Mullah is enough to believe that.

The day those Pakistanis got hanged BD will give a great tribute to all Shaheeds who were killed by Pakistani army during '71 but Pakistani army will face a huge reputation crisis in world if even one army man get tried by other country. The way they reacted for Butcher Kader Mullah is enough to believe that.

The big question is how will you get them? We dare your HAL terrorists & Indians(as they too are jumping up & down) to take these soldiers if you are sons of one father. Understand the fact that Haseena is turning your beautiful country into a laughing stock on the orders of her masters. Pakistan will not give any soldier or any civilian to HAL...the only thing they can get is middle finger.

As for Kader Mullah...it surely has achieved negativity for Bangladesh(because of Haseena & HAL terrorists) in many countries especially Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkeye, US & EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom