What's new

17 Indian Army soldiers killed in Uri attack

As an organisation, we love to re-learn.

The problem is ... laxity by Indians as habit.

Well armed forces is the last place you want it....... I thought we called ourselves as a professional armed forces (I know this is not the right time criticise army..... But)

Incorrect. The problem is if you retaliate to a fire, you are grilled as to why and what thereof. And people today are loathe to do that.

Also, we need to calibrate our responses as at places where we may dominate, we can hit. But the adversary may hit at a place where his posts dominate. Hence, things needed co-ordination.

However, I am categorically telling you, we never have been told, nor were ever told, not to retaliate for effect. Everything is a hogwash.

The real reason is to co-ordinate action in order to be effective message.

I won't push this point as all I have is hearsay although very candid ones but then after retirement service folks look at things with a different PoV.

"engage" Thanks for moment of levity on this grim day. Should have been a diplomat.

Things have broad connotations @Spectre

Watch things carefully. We are not that soft. Post-Hemraj, we had planned strike missions as per official directive, post Maldives we had planned military intervention when najeeb fell. The political brass backed out.

There are no such plans, they only exist in the minds of the powerless electorate and the military whose hands are entirely tied behind their back.

In two weeks the bodies of the brave dead will be long since ashes, the wounded will be in some distant hospital entirely out of the limelight and it will be business as usual.

Perhaps I'm being too unkind, it is probably more likely to be the case 7 days.

I regret that I can't agree with you. It is more plausible that those who are actually in service and who have current and up-to-date information will have a more accurate picture of what lies in prospect. However, none of us has anything worthwhile to say on the matter until there is a clearer direction. At the moment, we are sharing opinions.

Like why on god's earth would we support Indian military ?

We will support Kashmiri people

If these people were serving they should have protected people and not shot pellets and bullets on Kashmiri people

Well armed forces is the last place you want it....... I thought we called ourselves as a professional armed forces (I know this is not the right time criticise army..... But)

That is what is wrong with IA. Every officer wants to do something new and leave his name .... reinvent the wheel.

You recall the NE ambush?

Rule of thumb in CI ops in Jungle, never go and never come back from CI ops in jungle in a vehicle. The moment you do that, you are restricted to road/track and your domination of the area is lost.

And what happened?

Similarly, during induction and de-induction, never ever let your guard down.

These are age old issues which every new comer thinks, after seeing Rambo, he knows inside out.

A militant/combatant prepared to die for his/her cause, is one to fear. you can only limit your casualties, you cant stop them until and unless you are very lucky.

If you follow my recent posts the object of my criticism has been the current Indian Govt which has deceived me personally and countless others who voted for them with all it's false promises of better security and new approach to dealing with terrorism from within and beyond

I am surprised that a knowledgable guy like you have fallen for the loud noises made during the election rallies...... Even the Bakths (no pun intended) did not believe it....... These matters take its own time...... which ever govt is in power.....

Just a little word to our Indian posters, I see posts referring to soft action, cowardice and so on. But what actions would satisfy you? Do you want a military response?

If this means that you are seriously reviewing your wholly mistaken and misplaced political analysis, it is welcome, although the thought that it takes the deaths of 17 of our men to shake your faith is very troubling.

This was always the party of loud-mouthed and brazen posturing, with no idea whatsoever of what to do. When it postured like this earlier, they were forgiven by one and all, and by many supporters of their belligerence, on the grounds that they had no effective power, after all. They have all the power they need, but nothing will happen from their side, nothing will happen that would not have happened with or without them.

The best thing that they can do, in my frank opinion, the only thing that they are capable of doing, is to shut their mouths, give the armed forces wide authority to take its own steps, provided they keep the security committee informed at all times and in advance, and keep well out of posturing, or even saying anything in public. Rajnath Singh in particular. Bloody loser.

Frankly I don't understand security and defense and this is the chief reason why I am here - to learn.

In my opinion all the right noises where made where national security is concerned which earned them my vote and endorsement but now that I increasingly see the same nauseating pattern of back tracking and substance less posture, it is tough to to justify my support for them.

@scorpionx words shook me to the core - learn to live with the inept.

That is what is wrong with IA. Every officer wants to do something new and leave his name .... reinvent the wheel.

You recall the NE ambush?

Rule of thumb in CI ops in Jungle, never go and never come back from CI ops in jungle in a vehicle. The moment you do that, you are restricted to road/track and your domination of the area is lost.

And what happened?

Similarly, during induction and de-induction, never ever let your guard down.

These are age old issues which every new comer thinks, after seeing Rambo, he knows inside out.

A militant/combatant prepared to die for his/her cause, is one to fear. you can only limit your casualties, you cant stop them until and unless you are very lucky.

Sad to see that we are not learning from our mistakes..... And one must appreciate the efforts of terror handlers.... These guys are ahead ...... (sad but true)

What was our intel guys doing???? Why there was no inputs????

Just a little word to our Indian posters, I see posts referring to soft action, cowardice and so on. But what actions would satisfy you? Do you want a military response?

For me personally - I would like to see Jaish and LeT camps taken out in terms of military action. Diplomatically incarceration and deportation of their leaders for trial would be satisfactory.

I will totally disagree with you. I have often given one example of a retaliation. for Head taking on 02 Aug 2011, reciprocal retaliation was carried out on 30 Aug 2011 by 4 PARA. We never publicise these efforts and as a local commander, you can take action at sub-unit level.

The army commander northern command used to take a call on these strikes and they never made it to public domain. I have, on a number of times, clarified what is the Indian SOP.

It is wait and watch. It is against the specific group/launch pads that the strike will occur.
Piecemeal at best and wholly insufficient. Are we meant to be satisfied by a unpublicised localised counter attack that leaves the hierarchy and entire terror infrastructure completely untouched safe to carry out a repeat at their whim?

Back
Top Bottom