What's new

11 killed in fire at Karachi's Regent Plaza hotel

RIP to the dead really sad to hear this don't know when our gov's are gonna improve the fire brigade system and when are they gonna enforce proper safety measures in Plaza's hotels etc.
P.S kudos to your father yr

Alarm broke everyone was awakened. but electricity went off and there was no exit. Sheri Ali Dr who died already was on dialysis due to kidney failure 2 months ago.
pakistan news page facebook, in that a guy commented his cusin in 5th floor who is fine saw a woman jump from window.
Thats Terrible .. Rest In Peace

Well one of the TV channels was showing this fire live and it was quite stressful as people were stuck on the hotel windows waving out for rescue the building itself was only about 7-8 floor height , not alot but the fire rescue system in Pakistan is soo pathetic it was just painful to watch the proceedings

They had this 1 pathetic crane / fire brigage ladder just 1 which could barely reach the 4th or 5th floor

I was just saying to myself if this tiny building of 6-7 floor height rang can't be properly secured for fire how can large sky scrapers would be secured which have 20-50 floors which may be under construction

(Note the actual floors were less but there was some construction in first 2 floors to shops or other ground complex which raised the other floors up to about 6-7 floor height)

No fire allarm system, No smoke system
No sprinkler system
No anti fire material used
No evacuation plan

The Chaprasi himself or worker in Building himself was being rescued from one of the top floors

Fire brigage that came was also from Idhi center the charity one not sure what is the city firebrigade was doing ? PPP should have a proper answer I heard they were celebrating cultural day yesterday

Last edited:
RIP to the dead really sad to hear this don't know when our gov's are gonna improve the fire brigade system and when are they gonna enforce proper safety measures in Plaza's hotels etc.
P.S kudos to your father yr
thank you also that govt must take action against hotels about the emergency measures. Regent is one of most known and biggest hotels comprising 6 floors.

I heared Bilawal and PPP , Zardari and Co already moved the budget funds for Karachi and Sindh , thru Sherjeel Memon via Sea route to Dubai.

That is why they never have any funds released in time for development projects in Karachi

Sad incident. May Allah bless the departed souls and heal the wounds of injured.
Regarding punishment, if any it should be KDA building /safety control authority

one is named dr sher ali i know him personally one of Baba's team member they were here to present the health institution improvement and status. My father is Additional Director of Sindh second to dg and director of health. He was to present along with his team including dr sher ali and others. probably to Chinese delegates or I think the federal govt ministers. last time it was Secretariat meeting. Baba told us that he was in PC hotel but at 11pm they shifted to Regent Plaza what a coincidence.

Yes no emergency or exit. and even funny thing and angry to be about is the fact that fire erupted at around 1 to 2 am and brigades came 1:30 to 2 hrs late that is around 4 o'clock.

My father and one of his team member broke the glass themselves, media is saying glasses were order to break, but reality is victims themselves broke the glass. My father took taxi and directly came home around 4:45am and was shaking, asked where I put the monthly budget money took all and went to jinnah to save his colleagues if need be.

Baba was on 6th floor, there was no electricity due to fire and lifts were out no emergency measures at all, investigate and punish the regent plaza committee or stackholders and ask why no emergency measures are present.

14 Died including 3 women (RIP)
and 70 injured. And now fire is under control.

14 Died including 3 women (RIP)
and 70 injured. And now fire is under control.
Fire wasn't even the reason people died it was the suffocation due to smoke, fire erupted in kitchen. If there was emergency exit, cranes no one would have died.

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-05 at 11.10.52.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-05 at 11.10.54.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-05 at 11.10.55.jpeg

إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ

A sad news I heard today. The first news of the day but @alimobin memon thanks to Allah Almighty your father is safe but I am very sad on demise of those who were perished in this incident.

11 killed in fire at Karachi's Regent Plaza hotel
AFP | AP | ABDUL GHAFFAR | JUNAID FEROZE — UPDATED 34 minutes ago
WHATSAPP
52 COMMENTS
PRINT

At least 11 people were killed and 75 others injured when a huge fire erupted at Karachi's Regent Plaza hotel early Monday, police and a doctor said.

5844d50d29e53.png

Some people used sheets to climb down the building. — DawnNews

The blaze broke out in the kitchen located at the ground floor of the four-star hotel located on the city's Shahrah-i-Faisal, and swept through the building, trapping scores of hotel guests in their rooms.

Three trucks from the fire brigade reached the site and started an operation to rescue the guests.

The firefighters were able to contain the blaze after three hours, with 11 people having been killed, said a press release issued by the Saddar Police Station.

No fire exits?
Karachi mayor Waseem Akhtar speaking to reporters said the cause of the fire could not be immediately ascertained.

He said the hotel had "no fire exits or fire alarms".

Karachi mayor talks to reporters.

“We have received 11 dead bodies and 75 injured,” Dr Seemin Jamali, head of the emergency services at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, told AFP.

Amongst the injured were people who had fractured bones after jumping from hotel windows to escape, others had been hurt by shattered glass and many were treated for smoke inhalation, she said.

She said six men, including three doctors and the hotel's front desk manager, and five women were among the dead. Three foreigners affected by the fire are in a stable condition, said Jamali.

5844f5bd27a1d.jpg

Guests gather outside Regent Plaza Hotel following the fire. — AFP

Most of the country's buildings don't meet safety standards to avoid such mishaps.

TV footage of the incident showed guests at the hotel using bedsheets to climb down from windows.

A man standing at a balcony kept waving for help but the hotel didn't have any means to reach him, a survivor, Hamid Ali, told a local television channel. He said the guests were sleeping when the fire broke out.

“Trapped people showed courage and made ropes of bed sheets and came out one by one, many people have been injured,” hotel guest Saeed ur Rehman, himself wounded in the fire, told AFP.

Guests were left helpless, he said, for hours.

'Most people died due to suffocation'
Chief Fire Officer Tehseen Siddiqui told DawnNews that although the blaze was not very intense and was contained "quite early", the smoke kept circulating inside because the air conditioning system stayed on.

"Despite our requests, no one from the hotel management was there who could turn off the air conditioning."

Siddiqui said there was no exhaust inside and due to this "most people suffocated to death".

"No fire exits had been marked inside the hotel... the smoke detectors are there but they aren't functioning. The [hotel's] fire alarm also did not go off," said the fire chief.

He further said that the hotel has now been evacuated completely.

Faisal Edhi of the Edhi Foundation said no one from the hotel management was there to guide rescue workers inside the hotel which was dark.

He said the rescue operation was difficult because people were communicating with trapped guests in Urdu, which some foreigners did not understand.

UBL players among injured
Cricket players from the United Bank Limited (UBL) team were among those injured in the blaze.

The team, which was staying at the fourth floor of the hotel, woke up to the fire, said Nadeem Khan, head of the UBL Sports Department.

He said bowler Yasim Murtaza's ankle was fractured as he jumped from the second floor to save his life and the player is now recovering at a hospital. Karamat Ali was also injured.

International cricketer Sohaib Maqsood was also staying at the hotel but remained safe in the fire, said Nadeem, adding that Maqsood also helped rescue people. He said the UBL Quaid-i-Azam trophy match against Habib Bank Limited would be postponed today.

Sixteen crew members of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) also sustained injuries in the fire, spokesman Danyal Gilani said. He said most of the crew members have been discharged from hospital while some are still undergoing treatment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/05/least-11-killed-fire-sweeps-karachi-hotel-pakistan/

A huge fire swept through a four-star hotel in the southern port city of Karachi on Monday, killing at least 11 people, officials said.

More than 50 people suffered injuries in the early morning blaze, which started in the hotel kitchen, police officer Tauqeer Naeem said.

The exact cause of the fire was not yet known, he said, adding that four of the people who died were women.

Dr. Semi Jamali at Karachi's Jinnah's Hospital said some foreigners were among those being treated for burns. Suffocation caused more deaths, she said.

JS115333208_AFP_Pakistani-residents-transport-the-body-o-large_trans++pN6hdwAPtU33FfxTupVL7VGNnvcZ5Z_jrtPyXRRklbY.jpg

Pakistani residents transport the body of a fire victim outside a hospital following a fire at Regent Plaza Hotel in Karachi Credit: ASIF HASSAN/AFP/Getty Images
Most of Pakistan's buildings do not meet safety standards.

TV footage of the incident showed guests at the hotel using bedsheets to climb down from windows.

"We tied the bed sheets together to make a rope, and used that to climb down from the fourth floor," said Khalid Mehmood, one of the injured, speaking from his hospital bed. "We also had to jump mid-way, as the bed sheets weren't long enough."

JS115328736_REUTERS_A-foreign-guest-carrying-her-belongings-as-she-leaves-after-a-fire-erupted-in-a-large_trans++oQmI6CCYeWXI2SDtPW01M2hQWn7KX8qF_PP9qwsakA4.jpg

A foreign guest carrying her belongings as she leaves after a fire erupted in a hotel early morning in Karachi, Pakistan Credit: AKHTAR SOOMRO/Reuters
A man standing at a balcony kept waving for help but the hotel did not have any means of reaching him, a survivor, Hamid Ali, told a local Pakistani TV channel.

He said the guests were sleeping when the fire broke out.

"Four to five hours everybody was looking helpless , crying for help and nobody was there to help them," said another of the injured, Muhammad Saeed, under treatment at the hospital

Several Pakistani cricket players were also staying at the hotel, and one of them broke his ankle when he jumped down, said Naeem, the police officer.

Back
Top Bottom