What's new

1000 KG Glide Bomb Capable of hitting a target 100 KM away was successfully tested.

First all AFAIK we dont have a project like that.We need to realistic in here.And Do we have an aircraft or a launching platform for such a weapon ?
US have strategic bombers like B 1,B2,B 52 etc.So one bombing sortie would be enough fo fry an AAD like that of China.
But we dont have such a superior airpower nor launching platforms.
So against China our option will be cruise missiles especially .Brahmos (Air launch version) and also others.

Do not joke please.One doesn't need a strategic bomber like B2 or B 52 to launch a 500 kg powered glide bomb!!Any strike fighter can do the job.Why do you think IAF got the the MKIs with their 8 ton payload capability for --- for showcasing them into air shows??!!Besides,Brahmos is not the ready made solution for each and every purpose with its cost being the chief limiting factor.In contrast,powered glide bombs and dedicated anti airstrip version can do the job at a fraction of the cost.

Do not joke please.One doesn't need a strategic bomber like B2 or B 52 to launch a 500 kg powered glide bomb!!Any strike fighter can do the job.Why do you think IAF got the the MKIs with their 8 ton payload capability for --- for showcasing them into air shows??!!Besides,Brahmos is not the ready made solution for each and every purpose with its cost being the chief limiting factor.In contrast,powered glide bombs and dedicated anti airstrip version can do the job at a fraction of the cost.

Still not enough for Chinese.Perhaps they can sustain a saturated attack by these bomb.They excellent AAD capabilities.

I remember reading about Pakistan testing a glide bomb about 7 or 8 years ago....

Pakistan may not want to have a 1000kg bomb to hit 100 km, PAF can already use H-2 (60 km range) & H-4 (120 km range) with good accuracy, if you have seen USAF's SDBs you will know that now a 250 kg bomb can be more accurate and deadly against fortified enemy and they even use it for SEAD.

Congrats to India.

Welcome to a capability club that has been in South Asia since 2001.

Tactical air support was an after thought that came for the F-16. As such, stand off weaponry was focused on the H-2 and H-4 programs which have been in service since 2004.
Too bad, you folks are going to miss all the fun that comes with imposing a clusterfuck on your enemy using the cluster-bomba.

cbu1051[1].jpg

Still not enough for Chinese.Perhaps they can sustain a saturated attack by these bomb.They excellent AAD capabilities.

But this kind of PGMs actually are far cheaper and simpler to produce than a typical SAM round.So advantage is with the attacker.A more sustainable option to counter this kind of threat would be gun based CIWS rather than SAMs.

Too bad, you folks are going to miss all the fun that comes with imposing a clusterfuck on your enemy using the cluster-bomba.

View attachment 177707

While the CBU type munition is a very deadly and necessary weapon to have,a more pressing need of the hour is a dedicated anti runway version,preferably a powered one with a Durandal type warhead that can destroy enemy airstrips from stand off distances without the strike aircraft needing to enter the SAM envelope.That kind of a glide bomb will also be far cheaper than a cruise missile would be and that's why can used more generously for mounting a saturation attack to overwhelm the enemy ADGE.After the air fields are taken out,the rest will become just a turkey shoot.

But this kind of PGMs actually are far cheaper and simpler to produce than a typical SAM round.So advantage is with the attacker.A more sustainable option to counter this kind of threat would be gun based CIWS rather than SAMs.

While the CBU type munition is a very deadly and necessary weapon to have,a more pressing need of the hour is a dedicated anti runway version,preferably a powered one with a Durandal type warhead that can destroy enemy airstrips from stand off distances without the strike aircraft needing to enter the SAM envelope.That kind of a glide bomb will also be far cheaper than a cruise missile would be and that's why can used more generously for mounting a saturation attack to overwhelm the enemy ADGE.After the air fields are taken out,the rest will become just a turkey shoot.

That is not where the problem lies.The situation in LAC is far different than the LoC.The fact is the within 100km of the next side of LoC that within the Pakistan ,they have a lot of critical installation including SAM,Military bases ,Radar installations .Even their capital is nearer to western side of the LoC.

But in LAC Chinese dont have any critical assets .They can install their AAD way beyond than 100 km and when time arises for a bombing campaign we should have cross the LAC in turn they will activate their long rang SAM.
PLAAF is also an another headache.Ultimately LAC will give tough time And a LoC approach wouldnt work in LAC

SAMs not only counter PGM's but the aircraft that launches them too, so any advantage (economic or otherwise) is with them. Not to mention that they are China and we are India - much numerical superiority on their side anyway. And I don't think that anyone would want to use a Stand-off weapons (esp. of such limited range) against Chinese ADGE when better options i.e ARM/CM/Tactical Ballistic etc are available. Stand-off weapons are within the SAM range of Chinese S-300 copies so those are a comlpete no-no for SEAD/DEAD.
CIWS only provides point defense compared to Area defense of their S-300 and its clones so thats incomparable.

Anti-runway cluster bombs huh? Something like this I believe
Apache (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This one is a cruise missile. Anyway, I don't think Glide bombs of any kind are going to be useful in the northern theater for SEAD/DEAD (for reasons mentioned above). Not to mention that you are completely discounting PLAAF here. In any war, we'll be defending our asses, not taking theirs.

As far as taking out ADGE is concerned, I don't know what has runways got to do with that. ADGE will have to be taken out before we get to their runways unless you got B-2's.

That is not where the problem lies.The situation in LAC is far different than the LoC.The fact is the within 100km of the next side of LoC that within the Pakistan ,they have a lot of critical installation including SAM,Military bases ,Radar installations .Even their capital is nearer to western side of the LoC.

But in LAC Chinese dont have any critical assets .They can install their AAD way beyond than 100 km and when time arises for a bombing campaign we should have cross the LAC in turn they will activate their long rang SAM.
PLAAF is also an another headache.Ultimately LAC will give tough time And a LoC approach wouldnt work in LAC

Man,do you suffer from some sort of comprehension disability or something??How many times do I need to reiterate that I am talking about a POWERED variant of this glide bomb.............POWERED,something in the line of AGM-154 JSOW-ER which has a range of about 500 km when launched from 40000 ft AGL!!My advice to you ---- please read,consume,digest,assimilate and then and only then put up your reply......always in that order.

Bhai just tell me whether this is a glide bomb or something like Apache anti-runaway cruise missile as pointed out by Great one:undecided:??
P.S.-I am really confused in this matter and hence need your technical help:-)

Man,do you suffer from some sort of comprehension disability or something??How many times do I need to reiterate that I am talking about a POWERED variant of this glide bomb.............POWERED,something in the line of AGM-154 JSOW-ER which has a range of about 500 km when launched from 40000 ft AGL!!My advice to you ---- please read,consume,digest,assimilate and then and only then put up your reply......always in that order.

First of all.
Do we have any such projects?If yes I will agree with you.At current situation we dont know whether there is a project likeisin there or not .
People are not realistic in there.
Did you actually think you can take on China like that way ?
Man you are talking about a nation having entire stealed tech and R&D .We dont know whether they acquire S400 or not .If not they will surely copy it.
Your version of PGM is also not applicable in China case.
You have to encounter PLAAF .You cant take them as the same way of the PAF.
Only thing you can do in northern theatre is a blitzkerg ops with Brahmos support .Indian Forces cant sustain against them for a long time .

Hehehe
A powered glide bomb LOL. What you are talking about essentially alludes to a cruise missile.
AGM-154 has a range of only 110 km when launched from high altitude even with fast-air.

Edit: OOPS My mishtake. Didn't look for the ER. Never mind, its still in developement and we don't know its cost/weight etc.

SAMs not only counter PGM's but the aircraft that launches them too, so any advantage (economic or otherwise) is with them. Not to mention that they are China and we are India - much numerical superiority on their side anyway. And I don't think that anyone would want to use a Stand-off weapons (esp. of such limited range) against Chinese ADGE when better options i.e ARM/CM/Tactical Ballistic etc are available. Stand-off weapons are within the SAM range of Chinese S-300 copies so those are a comlpete no-no for SEAD/DEAD.
CIWS only provides point defense compared to Area defense of their S-300 and its clones so thats incomparable..

Not again!!Man how many times do I have to repeat myself that I was talking about a POWERED variant of this glide bomb with the keyword being POWERED,like the AGM-154 JSOW-ER.Please check out its range when launched from sufficient altitude -------- twice than that of the S 300PMU2 and its copies deployed by PLA in TAR.And forget about using TBMs against enemy ADGE,they are neither cost effective for nor geared towards such a role.And again,do not just compare the specs like a typical fanboy,take comparable cost of the systems being discussed also under consideration.Ask yourself a few questions like
1.What does a single S 300/HQ 9 round costs to manufacture??
2.What would be the cost for guidance kit??
3.Which one is easier to manufacture and in turn easier to replenish??

In any case,I wasn't talking about using such PGMs to take out the ADGE but to knock the airstrips out of commission which is very much possible to pull off even on the northern front,if a powered variant like JSOW-ER can be developed.The talk of ADGE came inadvertently came up because,as even a kid would know,all the air fields are protected with ADS of some sort or other and to you need to overwhelm the defenses in order to cripple your targets.

Anti-runway cluster bombs huh? Something like this I believe
Apache (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This one is a cruise missile. Anyway, I don't think Glide bombs of any kind are going to be useful in the northern theater for SEAD/DEAD (for reasons mentioned above). Not to mention that you are completely discounting PLAAF here. In any war, we'll be defending our asses, not taking theirs.

As far as taking out ADGE is concerned, I don't know what has runways got to do with that. ADGE will have to be taken out before we get to their runways unless you got B-2's.

And yes,I was thinking like someone like the MBDA Apache.And I still can not seem to understand how you came to the conclusion that I was talking about employing glide bombs in SEAD/DEAD role (not withstanding the fact that indeed they can be used in the role)!!I was from the start talking about runway destructions. And no,I never discounted the PLAAF.How can I discount world's 3rd most powerful air force in the world!!In fact that's the reason I am advocating about a powered variant with longer reach than this one in discussion.........so that IAF strike packages do not have to venture much deeper into TAR.Please try to read between the lines,one can not explain every detail!!

Not again!!Man how many times do I have to repeat myself that I was talking about a POWERED variant of this glide bomb with the keyword being POWERED,like the AGM-154 JSOW-ER.Please check out its range when launched from sufficient altitude -------- twice than that of the S 300PMU2 and its copies deployed by PLA in TAR.And forget about using TBMs against enemy ADGE,they are neither cost effective for nor geared towards such a role.And again,do not just compare the specs like a typical fanboy,take comparable cost of the systems being discussed also under consideration.Ask yourself a few questions like
1.What does a single S 300/HQ 9 round costs to manufacture??
2.What would be the cost for guidance kit??
3.Which one is easier to manufacture and in turn easier to replenish??

In any case,I wasn't talking about using such PGMs to take out the ADGE but to knock the airstrips out of commission which is very much possible to pull off even on the northern front,if a powered variant like JSOW-ER can be developed.The talk of ADGE came inadvertently came up because,as even a kid would know,all the air fields are protected with ADS of some sort or other and to you need to overwhelm the defenses in order to cripple your targets.

And yes,I was thinking like someone like the MBDA Apache.And I still can not seem to understand how you came to the conclusion that I was talking about employing glide bombs in SEAD/DEAD role (not withstanding the fact that indeed they can be used in the role)!!I was from the start talking about runway destructions. And no,I never discounted the PLAAF.How can I discount world's 3rd most powerful air force in the world!!In fact that's the reason I am advocating about a powered variant with longer reach than this one in discussion.........so that IAF strike packages do not have to venture much deeper into TAR.Please try to read between the lines,one can not explain every detail!!
My mistake as I said. I didn't follow the dialogue from the beginning and only from where you quoted me. That changes various points of my argument which considered a normal SOW of 100-150km range. (I didn't even know the ER version of JSOW existed)

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom