What's new

1000 KG Glide Bomb Capable of hitting a target 100 KM away was successfully tested.

NOTAM

Experimental flight trial of around 100km range weapon

INDIA EAST COAST – OFF BALASORE (.) CHARTS 31 301 351 3011 INT 71 INT 706 (.)
EXPERIMENTAL FLIGHT TRIAL SCHEDULED FROM ITR LAUNCH ON 16 DEC FROM
0530 – 0730 AND 0830 – 1030 UTC AND 17 DEC FROM 0530 – 0730 AND 0830 – 1030 UTC AND
18 DEC FROM 0530 – 0730 UTC IN AREA BOUNDED BY
(A) 21-22.51N 086-58.52E (B) 21-45.63N 087-57.18E
(C) 21-28.17N 088-05.11E (D) 21-05.55N 087-06.20E
2. NO OVER FLIGHT AND SHIPPING PERMITTED IN DANGER ZONE
3. CANCEL THIS MSG 180830 UTC DEC 14

16_dec.jpg

China is much capable than us.And unlike Pakistan they have large landmass and they also have superior AAD capabilityboth in quantity or for a certain extent in quality.Perhaps two or more saturated bombing wouldnt be enough for them.
100km is too much for Pakistan.But in the case of China they can park their AAD much deeper from LaC and at the same time may can target our aircraft .

I guess,for China DRDO will have to develop a powered variant of this glide bomb,like the AGM-154 JSOW-ER.They might add a miniaturized pulse-jet or turbojet engine and if dropped from high altitude,say 40-45k feet AGL,then it could easily cover a distance of 400-500 km.That should do the job against the perceived threat of the strong ADGE, fielded by China.Besides,if I remember correctly,then there was a talk about a long range anti airstrip weapon and anti radiation missile being developed,I wonder what happened to those.

Incorrect. The projectile motion in rarified atmosphere is of greater duration than at sea level (Bofors with about 30 km range in deserts was firing above 40 kms in Siachen). The average altitude where the aircraft will be releasing the weapon for a glide to be enabled for a 100 km travel will be greater than 30,000 ft when in sea level conditions. So the drag (since the bomb has no thrust of its own and is a free fall weapon) will be greater for operations in sea level. Not so in the high altitude region. Although toss bombing may have to be resorted to. Anyways just a thought. Lets see how it plays out.

this is how i thought, for example

1000kg glide bomb
A. released at 10,000 meters(30,000 ft ) to sea level = altitude traveled = 10,000m
B.released at 10,000 meters(30,000ft) to Tibetan plateau(avg ht = 4000m) = altitude traveled = 6,000m

so the glide from the 6000th meter to 10000 meter is reduced in B. which certainly will reduce the range.

this is how i thought, for example

1000kg glide bomb
A. released at 10,000 meters(30,000 ft ) to sea level = altitude traveled = 10,000m
B.released at 10,000 meters(30,000ft) to Tibetan plateau(avg ht = 4000m) = altitude traveled = 6,000m

so the glide from the 6000th meter to 10000 meter is reduced in B. which certainly will reduce the range.

Don't bother. Your logic is off. You are totally letting the drag be irrelevant for the glide of the bomb on its downwards trajectory. The drag (resistance) is being determined by the density of air (negligible in high altitude area) ... which is hardly of any consequence in the higher altitudes of the Gobi Desert (Tibetan Plateau). The Chinese concentration of troops takes place on that plateau and within 20 kms of International Boundary (you cant have troops massing at a staging area 50 kms from the border). Their forming up points (FUPs) of infantry will be within 5 to 7 kms of border as high altitude (the plateau is at an average of 15-8000 ft ASL) causes severe fatigue even to acclimatized troops in terms of walking with battle load and then starting offensive operations. It is a whole load of permutations and combinations. Work it out. Employability in North is as good as in West.

I remember reading about Pakistan testing a glide bomb about 7 or 8 years ago....

Don't bother. Your logic is off. You are totally letting the drag be irrelevant for the glide of the bomb on its downwards trajectory. The drag (resistance) is being determined by the density of air (negligible in high altitude area) ... which is hardly of any consequence in the higher altitudes of the Gobi Desert (Tibetan Plateau). The Chinese concentration of troops takes place on that plateau and within 20 kms of International Boundary (you cant have troops massing at a staging area 50 kms from the border). Their forming up points (FUPs) of infantry will be within 5 to 7 kms of border as high altitude (the plateau is at an average of 15-8000 ft ASL) causes severe fatigue even to acclimatized troops in terms of walking with battle load and then starting offensive operations. It is a whole load of permutations and combinations. Work it out. Employability in North is as good as in West.

drag component is same for 10000th meter to 6000th meter in both scenarios A & B?

in your example of artillery shell,

A. happens entirely at low level
B. happens entirely at high level

i am not sure of my other thought

without drag, one cannot glide. (gavity+weight - drag = it will drop straight down)

without drag we will need propulsion to move side wise

- in shell , drag opposes the forward movement reducing the velocity
- in gilde, drag opposes the downward movement, bigger the wing, greater the glide

Last edited:
I guess,for China DRDO will have to develop a powered variant of this glide bomb,like the AGM-154 JSOW-ER.They might add a miniaturized pulse-jet or turbojet engine and if dropped from high altitude,say 40-45k feet AGL,then it could easily cover a distance of 400-500 km.That should do the job against the perceived threat of the strong ADGE, fielded by China.Besides,if I remember correctly,then there was a talk about a long range anti airstrip weapon and anti radiation missile being developed,I wonder what happened to those.

First all AFAIK we dont have a project like that.We need to realistic in here.And Do we have an aircraft or a launching platform for such a weapon ?
US have strategic bombers like B 1,B2,B 52 etc.So one bombing sortie would be enough fo fry an AAD like that of China.
But we dont have such a superior airpower nor launching platforms.
So against China our option will be cruise missiles especially .Brahmos (Air launch version) and also others.

Incorrect. The projectile motion in rarified atmosphere is of greater duration than at sea level (Bofors with about 30 km range in deserts was firing above 40 kms in Siachen). The average altitude where the aircraft will be releasing the weapon for a glide to be enabled for a 100 km travel will be greater than 30,000 ft when in sea level conditions. So the drag (since the bomb has no thrust of its own and is a free fall weapon) will be greater for operations in sea level. Not so in the high altitude region. Although toss bombing may have to be resorted to. Anyways just a thought. Lets see how it plays out.

you need air to float on. Less air density means you glide less and fall quicker. High altitude range for this weapon will be reduced significantly after compensating for lesser glide height available.

Say you drop from 30,000ft at sea level, the distance it will have covered at 15,000ft will be less than what it will cover from 15,000ft to 0ft due to much higher air density available at lower altitudes. When you're dropping from 30,000ft onto a surface that's already 10,000ft above sea level, the range per drop height will drop significantly. But that also depends on the design of the bomb and it's wing. If it has wings that extend more for higher altitudes, it could compensate for this.
Maybe they'll develop a special high altitude version...

We can reduce anything into dust in 100 KM from our border by releasing a bomb from MKI flying in our sky.

Great to know we have that option available now. SO when those monleys line up at our border ready to snaek in,,,,we have a solution

We can reduce anything into dust in 100 KM from our border by releasing a bomb from MKI flying in our sky.
Welcome to a capability club that has been in South Asia since 2001.

How come Pakistan didn't buy CBU-105 in the F-16 upgrade?

Tactical air support was an after thought that came for the F-16. As such, stand off weaponry was focused on the H-2 and H-4 programs which have been in service since 2004.

Can you explain the possible threats to an enemy AAD with this bomb?
I don't believe I'm the expert to answer this question, maybe @Oscar can help you out.

While it can be countered by AAAs and other close-in AA weapons, it still is a great standoff platform for IAF to use against Pakistan simply because most of the potential targets are not more than 200 km deep, and this much payload aboard a heavy fighter (Su-30 MKI) is one hell of an amazing capability to have.

Can you explain the possible threats to an enemy AAD with this bomb?

The opposite view may be more important. i.e from the PoV of the fighter. It can now attack enemy AAD from outside of its range and hence remain out of danger whilst being able to attack the target.

Islamabad is roughly 70 kms from the LOC.
And only an idiotic commander will think of using it against that or a callous one.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom