What's new

10 years in making, Astra advanced air combat missile may be ready in 2016

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Astra_PTI.jpg

The missile’s “muscle-power”, in terms of range, has already been successfully tested nine times from Sukhoi-30MKI fighter jets since last year. The “brains” will be tested next month. When the brains and brawn are tested together by mid-2016, India will finally be able to brandish its own Astra air-to-air missile.

India may have developed surface-to-surface nuclear missiles like the Agni-V, which can strike targets over 5,000-km away, but has struggled to develop a complex BVR (beyond visual range) air combat missile like Astra for over a decade now.

Once the all-weather Astra is ready, India will join a handful of countries like the US, Russia, France and Israel which have developed such sleek missiles capable of detecting, tracking and destroying highly-agile hostile supersonic fighters packed with “counter-measures” at long ranges. Indian fighters are currently armed with Russian, French and Israeli BVR missiles, which cost a packet in the absence of a cheaper indigenous alternative.

“The Astra missile, with a range from 44 to 60km, is coming up very well. I am confident it will be able to meet the revised project completion date of December 2016,” said DRDO chief Dr S Christopher, talking to TOI on Thursday.

“After the Akash surface-to-air missile, Astra is the next advanced tactical missile to be made fully indigenously. We are also planning to integrate the missile with the Tejas light combat aircraft. The Astra-II will have a range of 100-km,” he added.

49682042.cms

The Astra project was sanctioned in March 2004 at an initial cost of Rs 955 crore. But the missile missed several deadlines due to persisting technical glitches, and could actually be fired from a Sukhoi-30MKI for the first time in May last year.

Since then, the 3.8-metre long missile, which flies at a speed of over four times the speed of sound at Mach 4.5, has been successfully fired with “pre-fed, fixed target coordinates” nine times. Next month, the “captive trials” will begin to complete the “electronic loop” or prove the missile’s brains with “target lock-on and destroy” capabilities.

For this, the missile will be armed with terminal radio-frequency seekers but without any warheads or propellants. The subsequent stage will see the missile being fired in “full configuration” at “actual manoeuvring targets” mimicking enemy fighters by mid-2016.

DRDO says Astra has “excellent” ECCM (electronic counter-counter measures) to tackle jamming by hostile aircraft, active radar terminal guidance and other features for “high single-shot kill probability” in both head-on and tail-chase” mode. The IAF is keeping its fingers crossed.

10 years in making, Astra advanced air combat missile may be ready in 2016 - The Times of India

Very less information is available for Astra, except range, test, I know developing a bvr missile is more difficult than the Ballastic missile, but why India is not giving some thought of Barak for A2A bvr.

Very less information is available for Astra, except range, test, I know developing a bvr missile is more difficult than the Ballastic missile, but why India is not giving some thought of Barak for A2A bvr.

India is indeed going for I-Derby-ER for A2A which will be first integrated to Tejas ( due to its improved 2052) and subsequently ( Depending on performance etc) on other platforms. This new Derby is claimed to be a game changer wrto A2A performace (e.g. No escape zone, kill prob etc) and is more advanced than our Astra and R77 derivatives. So IAF is doing a wait and watch for Astra and will only induct if there is any improvement over its legacy A2A of R77.

PS: Barak is not for A2A.

India is indeed going for I-Derby-ER for A2A which will be first integrated to Tejas ( due to its improved 2052) and subsequently ( Depending on performance etc) on other platforms. This new Derby is claimed to be a game changer wrto A2A performace (e.g. No escape zone, kill prob etc) and is more advanced than our Astra and R77 derivatives. So IAF is doing a wait and watch for Astra and will only induct if there is any improvement over its legacy A2A of R77.

some thought of Barak for A2A bvr. means making BVR on the Barak tech.

DRDO says Astra has “excellent” ECCM (electronic counter-counter measures) to tackle jamming by hostile aircraft, active radar terminal guidance and other features for “high single-shot kill probability” in both head-on and tail-chase” mode. The IAF is keeping its fingers crossed.

10 years in making, Astra advanced air combat missile may be ready in 2016 - The Times of India

India is as good as anyone is electronics now.
Propellants is also no more an issue due to Russia help who is the world leader is propellants.
Only hurdles are Seeker and propulsion.

some thought of Barak for A2A bvr. means making BVR on the Barak tech.
Not sure if that is possible as the most important part 'Seeker' is done by Israel and other tech (like pulse motor, Propellent etc) is done by india which I believe will anyway be used in Astra kinda projects. So I am not sure on what else can be reused here. whereas missiles like Meteor, I-Derby ER, Mica, AMRAAM D are in different league and getting any tech from these may not be possible ( No country will give).

i hope by adding DSI tech to barak they can make it more stealthy and even with a few adjustments in its navigation and control surfaces make it a potent BVR... PS i might be wrong as im no engineer :D

i hope by adding DSI tech to barak they can make it more stealthy and even with a few adjustments in its navigation and control surfaces make it a potent BVR... PS i might be wrong as im no engineer :D
:D Nice one :)

Astra if done properly( Achieves its goals) will definitely be better than R77. Other technology which we have like Ramjet (Used in Akash) will definitely improve its range/lethality.

:D Nice one :)

Astra if done properly( Achieves its goals) will definitely be better than R77. Other technology which we have like Ramjet (Used in Akash) will definitely improve its range/lethality.

One more a** kicking weapon from indian stable in making. Astra Mk2 shall be an A** kicking weapon with over 100 KM range with a speed in excess of Mach 4.

I hope we can get the scramjet tech incorporated.

Last edited:
The next big step for us is with seeker, The current one is a very old tech from russia and prone to jamming/self-defense If we can replace the seeker with ours( Slightly better than current) then it would be amazing.
Ofcourse it will take quite some time to reach to current level tech of Mica.

Good luck to India-under Modi India seems to be flexing its military muscles-perhaps this should concern us Pakistanis?

I do not think India is flexing its muscles but trying to keep its house in order. Well Pakistanis will feel threatened if there is any news or even if there is no news. Last night was watching a video from Pervez Hoodbhoy and felt sad about ordinary citizens of your country due to wrong priorities of the Army/nation.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom