What's new

10 Incredible Facts About India’s Mars Mission That Will Make You Super Proud

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India

Early in the morning, while most of us were probably in our beds, history was created as India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (M.O.M.) successfully entered the orbit of the red planet. The I.S.R.O. pulled off an incredible feat of frugal engineering and helped us join an elite club of space-faring nations to have accomplished this stellar feat.

The internet has been abuzz and congratulations have been pouring in. Here are a few facts about the mission which every Indian would be proud of.

1. India is the first country in the world to have succeeded in putting a probe into Mars’s orbit in the very first attempt.
1.jpg

2. This is, hands down, the most cost effective Mars Mission to have ever been undertaken.
2.jpg

3. On an average, every Indian has probably contributed about Rs. 5 per person towards the mission.
So pat yourselves on the back.
3.JPG

4. At Rs 450 Crore for 780 Million km, the mission cost about Rs 5.77 per km. That is cheaper than what many auto-rickshaws charge in the country.
4.jpg

5. N.A.S.A. took 5 years to complete its “Maven” Mars Orbiter. The I.S.R.O. took just 15 months to complete Magalyaan.
5.jpg

6. They even managed to make it weigh about 1,350 kilograms. That’s less than your average S.U.V.
6.jpg

7. The odds were stacked against us. Of the 51 Mars missions attempted across the world so far, 21 have failed. But we nailed it.

8. India will join the U.S, Europe and Russia in an elite group of countries to have successfully undertaken a mission to Mars.
8.jpg

9. The success of the mission will solidify India’s reputation as a competent and low cost base for sophisticated engineering.

9.jpg

10. And by the way, this happened. Awesomeness!

last.jpg

Ok these are some facts to make Indians proud.

But what is the purpose of this mission? Can it give any new info which we dont know already?

Ok these are some facts to make Indians proud.

But what is the purpose of this mission? Can it give any new info which we dont know already?
One of its objectives is to verify the presence of methane on the surface of Mars. If it can do that, it would be new info, just like our moon mission was the first in the world to confirm the presence of water on the moon.

This little baby will keep taking images (not just photographs, but different sensors) of Mars that will lead to a better understanding about our nearest planet. It's about cumulative accumulation of knowledge, not one grand "Eureka!" moment where a great discovery is made.

Early in the morning, while most of us were probably in our beds, history was created as India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (M.O.M.) successfully entered the orbit of the red planet. The I.S.R.O. pulled off an incredible feat of frugal engineering and helped us join an elite club of space-faring nations to have accomplished this stellar feat.

The internet has been abuzz and congratulations have been pouring in. Here are a few facts about the mission which every Indian would be proud of.

1. India is the first country in the world to have succeeded in putting a probe into Mars’s orbit in the very first attempt.
View attachment 81723
2. This is, hands down, the most cost effective Mars Mission to have ever been undertaken.
View attachment 81739

3. On an average, every Indian has probably contributed about Rs. 5 per person towards the mission.
So pat yourselves on the back.
View attachment 81740

4. At Rs 450 Crore for 780 Million km, the mission cost about Rs 5.77 per km. That is cheaper than what many auto-rickshaws charge in the country.
View attachment 81741

5. N.A.S.A. took 5 years to complete its “Maven” Mars Orbiter. The I.S.R.O. took just 15 months to complete Magalyaan.
View attachment 81742

6. They even managed to make it weigh about 1,350 kilograms. That’s less than your average S.U.V.
View attachment 81743
7. The odds were stacked against us. Of the 51 Mars missions attempted across the world so far, 21 have failed. But we nailed it.

8. India will join the U.S, Europe and Russia in an elite group of countries to have successfully undertaken a mission to Mars.
View attachment 81754

9. The success of the mission will solidify India’s reputation as a competent and low cost base for sophisticated engineering.

View attachment 81755
10. And by the way, this happened. Awesomeness!

View attachment 81756

I am not proud of it :disagree:

One of its objectives is to verify the presence of methane on the surface of Mars. If it can do that, it would be new info, just like our moon mission was the first in the world to confirm the presence of water on the moon.

This little baby will keep taking images (not just photographs, but different sensors) of Mars that will lead to a better understanding about our nearest planet. It's about cumulative accumulation of knowledge, not one grand "Eureka!" moment where a great discovery is made.

Ok thanks for the info. But NASA already said there are methane gas on Mars, by image.
NASA - Martian Methane Reveals the Red Planet is not a Dead Planet

But again curiosity didnt find any methane
Mars Mystery Deepens: Curiosity Rover Finds No Sign of Methane

Lets see what this baby finds out with its different sensors.
And BTW your signature is hilarious :rofl:

i am not proud because i am not indian, you missed my tricky statement :jester: but i am happy about thinking of asian country is now matching up with western countries :enjoy: and near future more asian countries will join the club, it is asian century baby :thinktank::mps:
Yup bang on!
& in future if you need satellites up there, ISRO would be the most cost effective way to go.

Yup bang on!
& in future if you need satellites up there, ISRO would be the most cost effective way to go.
i guess you don't know, we are going to join space satellite club too in next year :victory1:

Ok thanks for the info. But NASA already said there are methane gas on Mars, by image.
NASA - Martian Methane Reveals the Red Planet is not a Dead Planet

But again curiosity didnt find any methane
Mars Mystery Deepens: Curiosity Rover Finds No Sign of Methane

Lets see what this baby finds out with its different sensors.
And BTW your signature is hilarious :rofl:

The presence of methane has not been conclusively confirmed. Anyway the MAVEN probe that NASA sent and reached mars two days ago, has much more sophisticated sensors than ours. They have sent 20+ probes to Mars earlier, while this is India's first attempt. The odds are that it would be NASA that verifies the presence of Methane. ISRO has treated this mission as a stepping stone - a platform from which to leapfrog to new heights, a "proof of concept" that we have the expertise and knowledge base to undertake such complex missions. The biggest achievement of today is that we were able to hurl an object towards Mars, and put it in orbit around the red planet; future missions will be much more complex, and much more rewarding in terms of concrete results.

My signature is meant to serve as a warning to jealous neiighbours to not belittle a society that is much more sophisticated than theirs - if they do so, they will end up eating humble pie.:D

Back
Top Bottom