What's new

10,000 Kalashnikovs expected to arrive in Kabul from Russia next month

Well sarcasm apart, ALP with a size of 30,000+ really need to be equiped with these new AKs; ALP has proven to be a lethal force against all local insurgents.

I thought the ALP has been accused of gross human right's violation, preying on local communities, and a major reason who rural folk end up supporting the Taliban.

I thought the ALP has been accused of gross human right's violation, preying on local communities, and a major reason who rural folk end up supporting the Taliban.

Not all of their units; their ranks were exploited by local former jihadi commanders and used the force as per their own interests but that too has changed since their establishment.

I can give you an example of my own native province which lays south of Kabul; there were too much insecurity that poured out of villages into main highway but units of ALP established in the province since then security has improved quite alot in the villages and thus there is almost zilch terror incident in the highway from last 2 years.

Not all of their units; their ranks were exploited by local former jihadi commanders and used the force as per their own interests but that too has changed since their establishment.

I can give you an example of my own native province which lays south of Kabul; there were too much insecurity that poured out of villages into main highway but units of ALP established in the province since then security has improved quite alot in the villages and thus there is almost zilch terror incident in the highway from last 2 years.

hey what can I say, I am not on the ground -- however I wonder if there are other reasons for this increased security -- remember causation is not correlation. Further I know, for middle class Afghans the ANA can do no wrong, but one would not expect the ALP to be better than the ANA (or would one) -- and at least now the consensus is that the ANA is a pretty limited force.

Further, from your own admission, warlords are misusing the ALP for their own ends, I wonder who these new rifles will go to? where they are needed or to equip a Warlord's personal posey?

So again for someone on the outside I would remain skeptical.

Another thought that crossed my mind the other day is that the donation of 10,000 rifles by Putin is even news? Are we this starved of positive developments from Afghanistan?

hey what can I say, I am not on the ground -- however I wonder if there are other reasons for this increased security -- remember causation is not correlation. Further I know, for middle class Afghans the ANA can do no wrong, but one would not expect the ALP to be better than the ANA (or would one) -- and at least now the consensus is that the ANA is a pretty limited force.

Further, from your own admission, warlords are misusing the ALP for their own ends, I wonder who these new rifles will go to? where they are needed or to equip a Warlord's personal posey?

So again for someone on the outside I would remain skeptical.

Another thought that crossed my mind the other day is that the donation of 10,000 rifles by Putin is even news? Are we this starved of positive developments from Afghanistan?

Warlords used to misuse the ALP, that has been tackled now at large scale and their men's intrusion in ALP ranks are limited.

This news might not hold any wieght in terms of military assistance but it has something that shows Russia's stake in this war and it's support to the same poeple (current government) who faught them decades ago so simple the foes become allies. Upper House speaker was a hardcore mujahid within Ustaad Sayaf's party who faught the Russians and he on his visit to Russia, sealed this AKs deal with Russia.

Back
Top Bottom