What's new

1 dead, 1 seriously injured in Canadian Snowbirds jet crash

Blacklight

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
One dead, another injured after a Snowbird plane crashes into Brocklehurst house, near Kamloops Airport
Victor Kaisar
May 17, 2020 12:09 pm
Snowbird-Crash-Submitted-Unknown-Credit.jpg

UPDATE – A member of the Snowbirds team is dead and another was taken to hospital after a Snowbird plane crashed into a house on Glenview Avenue, in the Brocklehurst area of Kamloops, just before noon today.

“It is with heavy hearts that we announce that one member of the CF Snowbirds team has died,” said a tweet from the Royal Canadian Air Force. “We can confirm that we have contacted all primary family members of those involved.”

“Our previous statement indicated that the surviving member of the crash suffered serious injuries, we can confirm that their injuries are not considered life threatening.”

A defence source told The Canadian Press that Captain Jenn Casey, a public affairs officer with the Canadian Forces, died in the incident. That source was granted anonymity, according to the Canadian Press, because officials have yet to publicly confirm the identity of the crash victim.

“We received multiple calls about the crash at 11:42 a.m. and dispatched some of our paramedics,” Peter Darbyshire, with BC EHS, told NL News just before 2 p.m. “At this point…I don’t have a condition for you.”

The mayor of Kamloops, Ken Christian, says the crash has shaken the city to its core.

“The military have indicated that they are sending an investigation team to Kamloops and they will be here shortly,” Christian said, in an update to media on Sunday afternoon.

“In the meantime, the birds are grounded here in Kamloops and we have extended every thing that the city of Kamloops and Kamloops Airport can do for the Snowbirds team while they are here.”

Christian says the crash is especially tragic since it was just yesterday that the Snowbirds flew into Kamloops as part of Operation Inspiration.

“I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the Kamloops Airport – YKA – for their response,” noted Christian. “Kamloops Fire and Rescue, the BC Ambulance Service, the RCMP and in particular our dispatchers, and I met personally with our dispatchers earlier this afternoon.”

Canada’s Defence Minister, Harjit Sajjan took to twitter to say he is deeply saddened by the news of today’s plane crash.

“My thoughts are with all those involved. The Canadian Forces are working with local authorities and will update as information becomes available,” he said.

Also in a tweet, Shadow Minister of National Defence, James Bezan noted that he too was saddened to learn of the incident in Kamloops.

“We pray for the Snowbird who was hospitalized and mourn the loss of the fallen, Bezan added. “You are in our thoughts and prayers.”

Kamloops Fire Chief Mike Adams says firefighters were on scene roughly five minutes after the crash. In an interview with NL News, he confirmed that there were no injures to any of the people who were in the house on Glenview Avenue, as they were able to evacuate before the fire.

“The house that was impacted and then houses adjacent were evacuated as well,” Adams said. “Those people are back in their homes at this time, and then obviously we’ve cordoned off the area to begin an investigation in partnership with the RCMP, and military representatives.”

“We also thank the community and neighbours in that area for being very cooperative and allowing us to do the good work that we do.”

BC RCMP Southeast District Spokesperson Cpl. Jesse O’Donaghey says police are asking for people with any video footage to call them at 250-828-3000.

This is the second second crash involving the Snowbirds aerobatic team in less than a year.

Witness Describe Scene

Shannon Forrest was watching the two planes take off this morning by Kamloops Airport when she saw the incident happen in front of her eyes.

“I saw the one plane continue to go forward and then the plane that crashed, he had veered off to the side and went up higher, and then he started to spin around,” she told NL News.

“And I thought he was doing a trick, and I realized that the plane had died, and it started to spiral downwards, and then I saw the two deployments. I believe there was two pilots, but it may only be one, I don’t know, but I saw two chairs deploy of the plane, and then the plane crashed and hit the ground.”

Social media was full of several pictures and video showing black smoke in the area by Kamloops Airport taken by numerous eyewitnesses.

“We were looking towards the airport and somebody on the second floor [of RiverBend Manor] said he heard a big bang and then the big plume of smoke went up,” said witness Drina Latrace. “Its bad, whatever it is.”

Kenny Hinds, who lives in a house seven doors down from the crash site, said it looked like the living room of the house where the crash occurred was on fire.

“I just started running down the street. And I got there maybe a minute after it crashed and there was a couple of residents that had their hoses out and they were trying to put the flames out because it hit a house,” he told the Canadian Press.

“It looked like most of it landed in the front yard, but maybe a wing or something went through the roof perhaps.”

The Snowbirds aerobatics team was scheduled to make a trip from Kamloops to Kelowna via Merritt, Princeton, and Vernon today as part of Operation Inspiration during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Operation Inspiration started in Nova Scotia earlier this month and was aimed at boosting morale as Canadians continue to struggle with the pandemic.

“I’ve seen the Snowbirds since I was a little kid at Abbotsford and things like that,” Geoff, who declined to provide his last name, told NL News. “I was pretty excited to see them come in yesterday and this isn’t’ the way I wanted it to go.”

– With files from Brett Mineer, Bill Cowen, Jon Keen, and The Canadian Press

Photo submitted. More details will be added as they become available.

It is with heavy hearts that we announce that one member of the CF Snowbirds team has died and one has sustained serious injuries. We can confirm that we have contacted all primary family members of those involved. More information will be communicated in the near future.

— Royal Canadian Air Force (@RCAF_ARC) May 17, 2020

I have been in touch with @HarjitSajjan about the @CFSnowbirds crash in Kamloops, BC. My thoughts are with the brave members of the @RCAF_ARC. The CAF will provide an update as soon as possible.

— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) May 17, 2020

The #RCAF has been made aware that a Canadian Forces Snowbirds aircraft crashed in the vicinity of Kamloops, BC. Our priority at this time is determining the status of our personnel and supporting emergency personnel. When appropriate, more information will be made available.

— Royal Canadian Air Force (@RCAF_ARC) May 17, 2020

Here’s a video that was sent to us at @RadioNLNews from earlier this morning. #Kamloops pic.twitter.com/hc61YWscmQ

— Victor Mario Kaisar (@supermario_47) May 17, 2020

Photo via Delta McKean

A @CFSnowbirds just went down in Brock. Pilot ejected. #Kamloops pic.twitter.com/ZUJoM3Eby0

— ᎷᎥᏦᏋ (@MikeGT79) May 17, 2020

Emergency crews including Kamloops Airport’s aircraft rescue fleet are responding to an aircraft crash off airport involving a Canadian Snowbirds jet. More information to follow.

— Kamloops Airport (@KamloopsAirport) May 17, 2020

Sensitive content, and not my picture, but this was shared with Radio NL News by an eye-witness. #Kamloops #Snowbirds pic.twitter.com/8YWYff5tVU

Video from @JonKeenNLSports. @BC_EHS has confirmed that one person was taken to hospital from this crash scene. #Kamloops @RadioNLNews pic.twitter.com/F7RUlUmDGA

They do a frigging flyby to show support in COVID and this happens. What a miserable sorry state of an air force. What a joke. Canada is yet to start phasing out aging F-18.

832-IMG0042-800.jpg

Canadian-Snowbird-team-performs-aerobatic-maneuvers-625x302.jpg

sn-700x420.jpg

kamloops-snowbird-crash-kam-matters-1.jpg

snowbird.jpg

CT-114 Tutor
Overview
The distinctive roar of its turbojet engine announces that the celebrated CT-114 Tutor is passing overhead. As the aircraft flown by the Snowbirds—Canada’s famed Air Demonstration team—the nimble Tutor is a Canadian Air Force icon.

The Tutor was originally procured in the mid-1960s to train student pilots. It was replaced in 2000 by the CT-156 Harvard II and CT-155 Hawk. Today, the Tutor is flown primarily by 431 Squadron’s Snowbirds. However, it is also used in aircraft testing at the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment (AETE) in Cold Lake, Alberta.

The Tutors flown by the Snowbirds are slightly modified from the training version. In addition to show features, the modified version has a more highly-tuned engine to enhance performance during low-level aerobatic flying.

Technical specifications
Length 9.75 m
Wingspan 11.12 m
Height 2.84 m
Weight 2,575 kg (Empty)
Power General Electric J85-CAN-40 turbo jet
Thrust Reaches 18,000 feet in less than 6 mins, can do sustained 2G turns at 25,000 feet
Speed 741 km/h (Maximum)
Service Ceiling 11,850 m
Range 648 km
Crew 2
Year(s) procured 1962
Quantity in CF 26
Location(s)
15 Wing Moose Jaw, SK
4 Wing Cold Lake, AL

One dead after Canadian Snowbirds jet crashes into home
  • 1 hour ago
At least one person has died after an aerobatic Canadian air force jet crashed into a residential neighbourhood while doing a flyover.

Another crew member was seriously injured when the plane hit a house in the city of Kamloops, British Columbia.

One pilot was able to eject before the crash on Sunday, video showed.

The Snowbirds jet had been on a tour "to salute Canadians doing their part to fight the spread of Covid-19", according to the team's website.

The Snowbirds perform aerobatic stunts for the public, similar to Red Arrows in the UK or the US Blue Angels.

The crash happened on Sunday morning, shortly after the jet took off.

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that one member of the CF Snowbirds team has died and one has sustained serious injuries," the Royal Canadian Air Force said in a tweet.
Video posted on Twitter showed two jets climbing into the air from what is believed to be the Kamloops Airport before one catches on fire.

Witness Annette Schonewille told CBC News: "The one plane continued and the other one, there was two puffs, it looked like puffs of smoke and one... was a ball of fire," she said.

"No noise, it was strange, and then the plane just did a cartwheel and fell right out of the sky. Just boom, straight down, and then a burst of black, black smoke."

After it hit the front garden of a home in Kamloops, residents ran outside in an attempt to put out the fire.

"I just started running down the street. And I got there maybe a minute after it crashed and there was a couple of residents that had their hoses out and they were trying to put the flames out because it hit a house," neighbour Kenny Hinds told the Associated Press.

"It looked like most of it landed in the front yard, but maybe a wing or something went through the roof."

Meanwhile, resident Nolyn McLeod told CBC he saw the plane curve into the street and hit the bedroom window of his neighbour's house.

Photos published in Canadian media appeared to show a parachute on the roof of the house.

The city of Kamloops is around 200 miles (320km) northeast of Vancouver in the West Coast Canadian province. It has a population of 90,000.

In October, a Snowbirds jet crashed into an uninhabited area before an air show in the US city of Atlanta, after the pilot ejected.

832-IMG0042-800.jpg

Canadian-Snowbird-team-performs-aerobatic-maneuvers-625x302.jpg

sn-700x420.jpg

kamloops-snowbird-crash-kam-matters-1.jpg

snowbird.jpg

CT-114 Tutor
Overview
The distinctive roar of its turbojet engine announces that the celebrated CT-114 Tutor is passing overhead. As the aircraft flown by the Snowbirds—Canada’s famed Air Demonstration team—the nimble Tutor is a Canadian Air Force icon.

The Tutor was originally procured in the mid-1960s to train student pilots. It was replaced in 2000 by the CT-156 Harvard II and CT-155 Hawk. Today, the Tutor is flown primarily by 431 Squadron’s Snowbirds. However, it is also used in aircraft testing at the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment (AETE) in Cold Lake, Alberta.

The Tutors flown by the Snowbirds are slightly modified from the training version. In addition to show features, the modified version has a more highly-tuned engine to enhance performance during low-level aerobatic flying.

Technical specifications
Length 9.75 m
Wingspan 11.12 m
Height 2.84 m
Weight 2,575 kg (Empty)
Power General Electric J85-CAN-40 turbo jet
Thrust Reaches 18,000 feet in less than 6 mins, can do sustained 2G turns at 25,000 feet
Speed 741 km/h (Maximum)
Service Ceiling 11,850 m
Range 648 km
Crew 2
Year(s) procured 1962
Quantity in CF 26
Location(s)
15 Wing Moose Jaw, SK
4 Wing Cold Lake, AL

One dead after Canadian Snowbirds jet crashes into home
  • 1 hour ago
At least one person has died after an aerobatic Canadian air force jet crashed into a residential neighbourhood while doing a flyover.

Another crew member was seriously injured when the plane hit a house in the city of Kamloops, British Columbia.

One pilot was able to eject before the crash on Sunday, video showed.

The Snowbirds jet had been on a tour "to salute Canadians doing their part to fight the spread of Covid-19", according to the team's website.

The Snowbirds perform aerobatic stunts for the public, similar to Red Arrows in the UK or the US Blue Angels.

The crash happened on Sunday morning, shortly after the jet took off.

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that one member of the CF Snowbirds team has died and one has sustained serious injuries," the Royal Canadian Air Force said in a tweet.
Video posted on Twitter showed two jets climbing into the air from what is believed to be the Kamloops Airport before one catches on fire.

Witness Annette Schonewille told CBC News: "The one plane continued and the other one, there was two puffs, it looked like puffs of smoke and one... was a ball of fire," she said.

"No noise, it was strange, and then the plane just did a cartwheel and fell right out of the sky. Just boom, straight down, and then a burst of black, black smoke."

After it hit the front garden of a home in Kamloops, residents ran outside in an attempt to put out the fire.

"I just started running down the street. And I got there maybe a minute after it crashed and there was a couple of residents that had their hoses out and they were trying to put the flames out because it hit a house," neighbour Kenny Hinds told the Associated Press.

"It looked like most of it landed in the front yard, but maybe a wing or something went through the roof."

Meanwhile, resident Nolyn McLeod told CBC he saw the plane curve into the street and hit the bedroom window of his neighbour's house.

Photos published in Canadian media appeared to show a parachute on the roof of the house.

The city of Kamloops is around 200 miles (320km) northeast of Vancouver in the West Coast Canadian province. It has a population of 90,000.

In October, a Snowbirds jet crashed into an uninhabited area before an air show in the US city of Atlanta, after the pilot ejected.
I had seen this exact same jet a couple of times and actually talked to the demised Captain Jenn last year about the CF-18.

RIP, Captain. To my knowledge, the birds are not equipped with zero-zero ejection seats. From the video, you can't even tell if the parachutes actually opened. And the jet was a couple hundred feet in the air (at least). Waiting on the official report to explain why the jet banked high and to the left almost immediately after takeoff.

They do a frigging flyby to show support in COVID and this happens. What a miserable sorry state of an air force. What a joke. Canada is yet to start phasing out aging F-18.
No wonder the RCAF is facing a pilot shortage. And that is just one symptom of the rot plaguing the entire Canadian Armed Forces. That's what happens when you have a government who swears not to buy F35s but won't even provide a good replacement for its aging Hornets. I mean, their most recent purchase was aging (and retired) RAAF Hornets. There is no hope for a better RCAF under Trudeau; the force has come a long and pitiful way from its influence during and after the Second World War.

Public Affairs Officer Killed in Snowbirds Crash, Pilot Reported in Serious Condition.
May 18, 2020
The Canadian Forces have reported that Capt. Jennifer Casey died on Sunday, May 17, 2020 in the crash of a Canadair CT-114 Tutor belonging to the Snowbirds flight demonstration team.

The pilot of the two-seat aircraft, Pilot Capt. Richard MacDougall, remains in serious, but “not life-threatening” condition according to a post on Twitter from the Snowbirds. Sunday’s crash occurred in a residential area of Kamloops, British Columbia, in western Canada.

Video from the accident showed that both crewmembers onboard the aircraft ejected as the CT-114 Tutor descended almost vertically from low altitude immediately following takeoff. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

According to a report filed by Tim Petruk of Kamloops This Week, “Witnesses saw at least one pilot eject before the plane crashed. He landed on the roof of a house on nearby Schreiner Street and was rescued by Kamloops Fire Rescue. A witness told KTW a second person, a female, appeared to have succumbed to her injuries.”

Capt. Jennifer Casey, of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, joined the Canadian Forces in 2014. She worked as a public affairs officer for the Snowbirds since November, 2018. She had also worked with the Canadian CF-18 Demo Team. Capt. Casey earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Dalhousie University, a Bachelor of Journalism from the University of King’s College, and a Master’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Royal Roads University. Prior to joining the Canadian Forces, Jennifer Casey worked as a, “Reporter, anchor, and producer with NEWS 95.7 in Halifax, a sister station of NEWS 1130” according to a report on the local citynews1130.com.

Emotional tributes to Capt. Casey appeared across social media on Sunday, praising her as a highly capable, warm, professional ambassador for the Canadian Forces. Aviation photographers from Canada and North America shared photos of Capt. Casey posing with airshow fans, aviation media and crewmembers of the Snowbirds. Numerous stories of Capt. Casey’s accommodating style and exceptional work ethic accompanied the many photos and memorials.

CaptCasey_40.jpg

Capt. Jennifer Casey had an impressive academic and professional resume as a journalist for the Canadian Forces. (Photo: via CF Snowbirds/Twitter)

CaptCasey_10.jpg

Capt. Jennifer Casey died on Sunday in the crash of a Canadian Forces CF-114 Tutor of the Snowbirds jet demonstration team. (Photo: via CF Snowbirds)

AND WHAT IS THE OPTIONS TO REPLACE F-18, EF-2000/RAFALE THEY REJECTED THEM, GRIPPEN NOT SUITABLE FOR CANADIAN AIR FORCE RANGE IS THE PROBLEM, SO WHAT IS THE OTHER OPTIONS???

AND WHAT IS THE OPTIONS TO REPLACE F-18, EF-2000/RAFALE THEY REJECTED THEM, GRIPPEN NOT SUITABLE FOR CANADIAN AIR FORCE RANGE IS THE PROBLEM, SO WHAT IS THE OTHER OPTIONS???
Brother, why are all your posts in Upper Case / Caps Lock On? It is considered screaming.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom