What's new

Yuan Class coming PN's way?

is yuan a copy of a russian sub - if so, then we have to be careful here! russian subs dont have a good reputation!

is yuan a copy of a russian sub - if so, then we have to be careful here! russian subs dont have a good reputation!

Its design is said to be a mixture of the Russian Kilo Project 636 & Chinese Song Class submarine. The best features from both these submarines have been brought together to make this baby.

doesn't make sense......Why would we want European systems in Chinese body?....If it is altogether a new class joint development with China, then it seems an opportunity to add value to each other.

Perhaps I was unclear in my assessment. What I meant was that PN is acquiring tech on the basis of transfer from EU. We can incorporate this tech when we build the next sub, as i suspect PN would not just acquire all these skills to then lay them to waste. Whether it is the same Yuan which we build or some other joint project , is open to debate. However, knowing the way Pakistani Army thinks, they will go for a project which is proven and achievable. That may mean relying on a proven design initially. I hope I have gotten my point across.
regards
Araz

what u do of shape if sub doesent deliver to ur required results u make a pickle of subs subs are meant to silent killers not preety killers. every sub has its plus and minos points i dont se yuan shape too bad dont go on shape go onb technology

how does the latest yuan compare to the agosta 90B or the scorpene? in terms of 'capability'

Type 039A/B (Yuan Class) Diesel-Electric Submarine

a689c66bbce23da953fad52e541eb620.jpg

The Type 039A/B, codenamed Yuan Class by the NATO, is a new type of non-nuclear submarine introduced by the PLA Navy in 2004. The submarine was built by Wuchang Shipyard in the inland Hubei Province. The Type 039A is reportedly China’s first submarine to be incorporated with an advanced air-independent propulsion (AIP) system, which enhances the submarine’s underwater performance and reduce its vulnerability to detention.

The Yuan Class appears to be a mixture of Chinese indigenous designs and Russian influence, with four diving planes and a single large shaft. The teardrop shaped hull and large sail suggest heavy Kilo influence. A pair of foreplanes are positioned in the middle of the sail. The hull of the submarine is covered with rubber anti-sonar protection tiles to reduce the risk of detection.

It was reported that the Yuan Class was equipped with an indigenously-developed AIP system, which allows the submarine to remain submerged on battery at slow speed for days or even weeks without having to surface to recharge batteries. The tactical flexibility, small size, and inherent stealth of such a system offers conventional diesel-electric submarines a remarkable increase in capability, making them dangerous threat to conventional and even nuclear submarines. It is believed that the AIP system used by the Type 039A may be a 100 kilowatt Stirling-cycle heat engines with external combustion design, developed by the 717 Institute of the China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC).

The submarine has six 533mm bow torpedo tubes (2 above, 4 below), which can launch a range of Chinese indigenous or Russian wire-/acoustic-/wake-homing torpedoes, as well as the 80km-range YJ-82 submarine-launched anti-ship missile. For mine warfare missions, the submarine can carry 18~24 mines in its torpedo tubes.

The first-of-class hull No. 330 was launched on 31 May 2004, but its commission may have been delayed due to technical difficulties. Construction of the second hull began in 2006 and the submarine was launched in 2007. The two boats differ in the sail design and water holes arrangement.

what does it turn out to be when compared with uboat?

how does the latest yuan compare to the agosta 90B or the scorpene? in terms of 'capability'

Well Sir, in my opinion all we can do is speculate at this stage, we know Agosta 90B, Scorpene performance publicly, but the Chinese platform is not known to anyone outside, nor its performance.

Only a person in the PN having tested or compared both the platforms would be able to give an insight.

But i do believe it would be equal to or superior then Agosta, can't say about Scorpene.

Chinese have progressed a lot in the naval sector in last decade, evident from the surface fleet latest ships, so hopefully their submarines would have also progressed a lot in the last decade, and Chinese inducting the Song/Yuan class submarines in numbers may suggest them to be capable enough that Chinese are inducting them in their fleet.

why u friends living in the dreams which thing is not thinked by PN PN is still comitted to U 214 and they will till now for some reasons PN is quit but im sure they will sign the deal in 2010 and in future we might go for song class not yuan

Perhaps I was unclear in my assessment. What I meant was that PN is acquiring tech on the basis of transfer from EU. We can incorporate this tech when we build the next sub, as i suspect PN would not just acquire all these skills to then lay them to waste. Whether it is the same Yuan which we build or some other joint project , is open to debate. However, knowing the way Pakistani Army thinks, they will go for a project which is proven and achievable. That may mean relying on a proven design initially. I hope I have gotten my point across.

I have heard that PN can only assemble a submarine (eg. agosta). The actual tech/suites need to be imported as pak does not have the permission(or capability) to make these. In fact somebody here referred to it as "Transfer of Assembly of Tech" more than TOT.

If you are not referring to the assembly of a submarine then the only way to get european tech into Yuan would be to let the chinese reverse engineer these illegally and I reckon that won't go down well with the europeans.

russian subs dont have a good reputation!

Oh really? Care to substantiate that conclusion?

The Russian Kilo Class submarine first entered service in the early 1980s. It was designed by the Rubin Central Maritime Design Bureau, St Petersburg. Subsequent developments have led to the current production versions, the Type 877EKM and the Type 636. A successor, the Lada (Project 677) was launched in November 2004.

Rubin is developing an air-independent propulsion (AIP) system which could be available for retrofit to the other versions. The Kilo submarine was originally built at the Komsomolsk shipyard but is now constructed at the Admiralty Shipyard in St Petersburg. China has two Type 636 submarines, the second of which joined the Chinese fleet in January 1999

Type 636 is designed for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and anti-surface-ship warfare (ASuW) and also for general reconnaissance and patrol missions. The Type 636 submarine is considered to be to be one of the quietest diesel submarines in the world. It is said to be capable of detecting an enemy submarine at a range three to four times greater than it can be detected itself
SSK Kilo Class (Type 636) Attack Submarine - Naval Technology

The Russian Kilo class submarine first entered service in the early 1980s. It was designed by the Rubin Central Maritime Design Bureau, St Petersburg. Subsequent developments have led to the current production versions, the Type 877EKM and most recently, Type 636. The submarines are constructed at the Admiralty Shipyard in St Petersburg

24 Kilo class submarines are in service in the Russian Navy (most of the older designs).

Kilo class submarines have also been exported to Iran, China, India, Poland, Romania and Algeria. China has two Type 877EKM, Iran has three Type 877EKM and India has ten Type 877EKM (Sindughosh Class). The Type 877EKM is designed for anti-submarine (ASW) and anti-surface ship (ASuW) warfare.
SSK Kilo Class (Type 877EKM) Attack Submarine - Naval Technology

Project 636, sometimes called "The Black Hole" by the US Navy for its uncanny ability to "disappear", is thought to be one of the quietest diesel-electric submarine classes in the world
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo_class_submarine
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/877.htm

The first submarine entered service in the Soviet Navy in 1982, and the class remains in use with the Russian navy. 17 vessels are believed to still be in active service with the Russian Navy, while 7 vessels are thought to be in reserve. So far, 33 vessels have been exported to several countries:

Algeria - 2 Original Kilo, 2 Improved Kilo to be commissioned between 2009-2010.
People's Republic of China - 2 Original Kilo, 10 Improved Kilo.
India - 10 Kilo designated the Sindhughosh class.
Poland - 1 Kilo ORP Orzeł.
Indonesia - 8 Improved Kilo ordered in Sept 2007, Scheduled to arrive at 2009.
Iran - 3 Kilo.
Romania - 1 Kilo - (Delfinul).
Russia - 17 Kilo in active service (B-445; B-459 Vladikavkaz; B-464 Ust'-Kamchatsk; B-471 Magnitogorsk; B-494 Ust'-Bolsheretsk; B-800 Kaluga; B-871 Alrosa; B-808 Yaroslavl'; B-177 Lipetsk; B-806; B-340; B-190; B-227; B-260 Chita; B-345; B-394; B-402 Vologda), 7 in reserve.
Vietnam - 6 Improved Kilo on order, first delivery of 2 ships in 2010, completion of order in 2011 with a total of 12 mentioned in December 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo_class_submarine#Operators

Not only well rated and liked, but also built in substantial numbers for both domestic and export markets. Sounds like a winner to me.

Last edited:
i dont think china will be ready to sell you yaun class sub because it has one one of its class sub active and other in testing stage so they may sell you song class

Back
Top Bottom