What's new

Xinjiang's Breathtaking Landscapes

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

The Taklamakan Desert is the 2nd largest desert in the whole world and takes up almost 1/3 of the entire Xinjiang province.

The famous Hemu village is located near the Kanas Lake in Altay, Xinjiang. It’s one of the most popular places for professional photographers in the region, especially during the fall months when the leaves turn various colors.

The Keketuohai National Park is one of the most beautiful and least-recognized parks in China. Many compare it to Yosemite in the US.

Photo credit: Joshua Holko

Sometimes referred to as “Xinjiang’s Grand Canyon”, this incredible place is located near Aksu.

Beautiful apricot blossoms year Yili, Xinjiang spring up every year and provide incredible photos.

The Flaming Mountains of Turpan provide an incredible backdrop for some of the most interesting Silk Road history in the world.

Fields of lavender in Xinjiang, China. Xinjiang is one of the largest producers of lavender in the world.

The Stone Fort in Tashkurgan is a great place to see the Pamir mountains as well as the beautiful Golden Grasslands.

Keketuohai-English-Map-583x479.jpg

It is unbelievable to learn that such a remote location like Keketuohai can be so developed and modernized. Over 10 miles of concrete paths, air conditioned buildings and golf carts are just a few of the amenities you’ll find – and there are plans to build a nice 4-star hotel in place of the yurts!

Commercial development within national parks isn’t a Chinese creation (Yosemite and Yellowstone in the US are the same way) but there is a certain loss of “outdoor” feel when you’re walking along a concrete path. It’s not enough to overshadow the incredible beauty of nature, however, and there are still plenty of opportunities to veer off the paved road.

http://1tv2o1g0gwh145y5v53ozm13.wpe...nt/uploads/2013/01/Keketuohai-English-Map.jpg
Monument near the entrance. Courtesy China.org.cn

Photo credit: This is Xinjiang

Photo credit: This is Xinjiang

World’s Largest Uyghur Nut Cake

Because a regular-sized nut cake just doesn’t have the same impact, one Uyghur entrepreneur decided to bake and sell the world’s largest nut cake.

Giant-Nut-Cake.jpg

Adili Maimaititure first opened his online nut cake store in 2012 and he had no idea how popular it would become. The plant in Changsha now produces over 5 metric tons of nut cake every day. Not sure what a Uyghur nut cake is?

Uyghur-Sweets-583x437.jpg

A brief description from the photographer Stephen Lioy:

“Though they can be found throughout China, these Uyghur sweets somehow taste best when traveling through Xinjiang. At the bazaar in Kashgar, this stuff was so sticky that it ripped the braces right off the back of my upper teeth. It was so good that, the damage already being done, I finished the rest of it anyways.”

Xinjiang-High-Speed-Train-625x352.jpg

Sitting here in this comfortable high-speed train watching the Xinjiang countryside whiz by forces me to remember the first time I stepped foot in this incredible region.

I remember the majestic snow-capped TianShan presiding over the vast swaths of farmland. I remember seeing herds of sheep and camels out the window. I remember feeling like Xinjiang’s desert wasteland extended on forever.

I also remember being cramped in a small car that felt like it was going to fall apart at speeds exceeding 60km/hr. Today, I’m cruising in a beautiful new high-speed train that glides smoothly along Xinjiang’s desert at 200km/hr.

Xinjiang’s Strange Natural Landforms

These places in Xinjiang defy classification. Truthfully, photos don’t really do them justice but it’s worth a try anyway :)

Xinjiang’s “Grand Canyon” (天山大峡谷)

One of the most beautiful, little-known places to visit in southern Xinjiang is the Xinjiang Grand Canyon, also known as the Keziliya Grand Canyon. Captured brilliantly here by photographer Joshua Holko, these valleys stretch for about 5 kilometers at an average depth of 1500 meters.

5 Colored Hills (五彩滩)

The Five Colored Hills, sometimes referred to as “Rainbow Beach” is an amazing combination of color and landscape that comes alive at dawn and dusk. Located in between Karamay and Altay in the northern part of Xinjiang, it would be easy to pass by this place unless you were looking for it.

Karamay Ghost City (魔鬼城)

So named because of the sounds the wind makes when passing through these landforms, Karamay’s Ghost City is a collection of what is known as “Yardang” formed by wind erosion. Ghost City’s claim to fame is that scenes from the well-known Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon movie were filmed here (among many other, lesser-known Chinese films).

Koktokay (可可托海)

Located in the Altay region in northern Xinjiang, Koktokay National Park (often transliterated from Mandarin as Keketuohai) offers some interesting rock formations similar to what you might find at Yosemite Park in the United States. The rock pictured here, named “The God Rock”, is a prominent feature in an all-around gorgeous park.

There are plenty of great places to visit here in Xinjiang but there are only a few truly iconiclandmarks that seem to represent the region as a whole. These places are for the most part man-made, whether in the recent past or in ancient times.

Kashgar’s Old Town (喀什古城)

Once a centerpiece of ancient Silk Road life, Kashgar’s Old Town has undergone a lot of change over the past 5 years. After plans to raze the Old Town were publicized back in 2009, international outcry ensured that at least some of the original Old Town would remain intact (seen in the photo above). Since then, they’ve rebuilt sections of Kashgar’s Old Town.

Turpan’s Emin Minaret (苏公塔)

Although historically insignificant, the Emin Minaret in Turpan has become a tourist favorite over the years. The Uyghur brickwork on the minaret is amazing and it’s a fun place to tour. Oddly enough, half of the adjoining mosque decided to collapse a few years ago, but it’s since been rebuilt.

Kizil Thousand Buddhist Caves (克孜尔千佛洞)

Covering a 2 kilometer stretch of cliff, these 236 caves make the Kizil Thousand Buddha Caves the largest collection of caves in this particular area (there are other, less popular caves nearby). Like almost every other cave you’ll see in Xinjiang, this too was “raided and pillaged” by explorers in the early 1900’s.

Kashgar’s Id Kah Mosque (艾提尕尔)

Very few buildings represent a region quite like the Id Kah Mosque represents Xinjiang and, specifically, Kashgar. The yellow tiles are almost as memorable as the massive courtyard inside. During important Muslim festivals, tens of thousands of Uyghur men descend on this mosque to pray and if you’ve never seen it…it’s an unbelievable sight.

Turpan’s Jiaohe Ancient City (交河故城)

If the aforementioned Emin Minaret is the most iconic building in Turpan, then the Jiaohe Ancient Ruins are the most interesting. These ruins offer a chance to walk through history, imagining busy streets, mud-brick homes and massive temples with relatively well-preserved ruins.

Urumqi’s Grand Bazaar (大把杂)

Although you’ve probably seen pictures of this minaret here in Urumqi, most people don’t realize that the Urumqi International Grand Bazaar is actually quite new…as in built in mid 2000’s! Visiting the Urumqi Grand Bazaar is still fun, though, and it’s possible to go to the top of the minaret to get a bird’s-eye view of the city.

483322_10150959235443059_1379189573_n.jpg

Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, China

how can i reach this National park by road or rail ?? from Pakistan ..:crazy_pilot:
When u reach the capital of Xinjiang, Urumqi, there is a train to Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province where Zhangjiajie is located, 3973km/ 41hours (Train Z136, hard bed 635yuan, soft bed 1055yuan). In Changsha, u can take a bus, there is expressway to Zhangjiajie, just a coupe of hours. Of course, u take take a flight from Urumqi to Changsha. There is also an airport in Zhangjiajie, but u have to transfer in Xi'an, Urumqi-Xi'an-Zhangjiajie, 1600yuan(50% off from 3500yuan)

Seasonal Xinjiang Spectacles
Most of what has already been mentioned is worth visiting year round. There are a few places, however, whose beauty can only really be appreciated at certain times of the year. These seasonal views sometimes last a couple weeks and sometimes last only a couple days.

Spring – Xinjiang’s Apricot Blossoms

Every year around the end of March to early April, photographers and travelers descend on Xinyuan county in northwestern Xinjiang to experience the Apricot blossoms. The gorgeous pink buds create an incredible but short-lived display along the grasslands of the area.

Spring – Narat Grasslands

Perhaps the idea of large tracks of land covered in grass sound boring, but the gentle rolling terrain mixed with gorgeous flowers extending as far as the eye can see is breathtaking. The Narat Grasslands (known in Chinese as “Nalati”) are an excellent place to enjoy the new blossoms of spring.

Summer – Huocheng Lavender Fields

The Yili region of Xinjiang has become known for their production of lavender – they claim to produce 95% of China’s lavender sub-products. During the summer months these fields of lavender clothe the region in a royal purple that is stunning.

Autumn – Xinjiang Poplar Forrest

Xinjiang’s Tarim basin is home to one of the world’s only Poplar Forrest Natural Reserves. These trees, which are often described as “living fossils”, look gnarly and twisted and turn a colorful yellow and orange during the autumn months.

Winter – Hemu Village

Just west of Kanas Lake in northern Xinjiang’s Altay region you’ll find the picturesque Hemu Village. Although it’s really a great place to visit any time of the year, it has a special winter wonderland feel to it during the snowy months of winter.

The Turd above wants to own everything without hard labor. Nothing comes fro free. Huawei empowers their high speed line, but even that comes at a price.

One of China’s most photographed Xinjiang landscapes, this bend in Kanas Lake is hard to beat.

Photo credit: Paul Chong

Forest of poplar trees in Xinjiang provide a great contrast to the desert and the mountains.

Excellent @TaiShang
Woww that Kanas bend seems like a heaven or some magic land.

Xinjiang Safety Update | Traveler Feedback
August 13, 2014 |

If you’re like many people I know, the idea of traveling to Xinjiang is both exotic and scary. Exotic because of all the Central Asian culture and natural beauty but scary because of all the negative international press the region has received with the recent bombings and riots.

It’s completely understandable for you to second guess your travel plans to Xinjiang and along the Chinese Silk Road, but before you do I implore you to read the rest of this article. I live here in the Xinjiang capital of Urumqi with my family and although there may be risks involved with living here the truth is that we have always felt incredibly safe.

But why just take my word for it? I recently asked a number of readers to give me their feedback on recent trips to Xinjiang and I wanted to share their responses to questions about Xinjiang safety here. Although my advice is to always be cautious and use common sense when traveling out here, perhaps what these travelers have to say will set your mind at ease concerning your travel plans to Xinjiang.

Eric Johnson
Date of Xinjiang Travel
: April 2014
“We (two families of six Americans) spent a week hoofing it across Xinjiang from its northeast corner to a mountainous pass into Kyrgyzstan which required special permission to cross. We used train, plane, and rental car (sometimes with driver, sometimes self-drive). From vineyards to glaciers, scenery was gorgeous, culture interesting, people everywhere welcoming. We never felt threatened in the least. Our major challenge was finding a bar in Kashgar!”

Maxime Dossin
Date of Xinjiang Travel
: June 2013
“Xinjiang is definitely safe for foreigners. I travelled by bicycle last year from Mongolia to central Asia and had problems only with police, as it was during juni-july, when it was complicated in Turfan and Hotan. Policemen erased pictures on my camera, put me in a bus between Balguntay and Yining… Uyghurs and Hans were lovely.”

Rémi Hugouvieux
Date of Xinjiang Travel
: 2012
“Well, I must say that I never felt unsafe during my trip in Xinjiang back in 2012. You are sometimes the only Westerner around, so people might seem a little curious, but no hostility whatsoever from locals. The most striking violence-related concern was the many, many gun-bearing troops, what reminded me of the nasty things that had happened there. But on a personal level I never felt as a potential target. Of course don’t be dumb or provocative, the average traveller’s common sense is more than enough for you to enjoying your stay in this fabulous region.”

Alan Simmons
Date of Xinjiang Travel
: May 2014
“I made a visit to Urumqi in May and had an amazing time exploring the city. People were really friendly, prices were reasonable (some things were very cheap), and government security measures throughout the city really seemed to provide a worry free environment while we were there. Because so few tourists were there at the time, we really had a great time exploring the Da Bazaar area of the city.”

Cameron Martus
Date of Xinjiang Travel
: Current
“I have been in Urumqi for a week now and have felt perfectly safe at all times. In fact I feel far more comfortable here than I would be in an American city — I’m not used to cities and in America I tried to avoid going into one. Everyone is very nice, and people are usually very helpful if I ask them something. There are many police, military, and other security people stationed at many places, but they all seem very nice and polite, and their presence probably causes the place to be safer.”

Rod Poirier
Date of Xinjiang Travel
: 2013
“I spent a couple of weeks traveling alone from Urumqi through to Kashgar and on to Kyrgyzstan. While out in the region I neither experienced problems nor felt unsafe at any time. Best experience was the Kashgar market.”

These are the travelers who responded, but I’ve met many more who have passed through Urumqi and would likely say similar things.

Now there are times when travel caution is advised, particularly if your embassy encourages you not to come (which has happened before) but don’t think you need to cancel your travel just because of what you read on the news.

When u reach the capital of Xinjiang, Urumqi, there is a train to Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province where Zhangjiajie is located, 3973km/ 41hours (Train Z136, hard bed 635yuan, soft bed 1055yuan). In Changsha, u can take a bus, there is expressway to Zhangjiajie, just a coupe of hours. Of course, u take take a flight from Urumqi to Changsha. There is also an airport in Zhangjiajie, but u have to transfer in Xi'an, Urumqi-Xi'an-Zhangjiajie, 1600yuan(50% off from 3500yuan)

i just love these floating mountains :smitten: i will surely visit this place by road now in next year with my friends :angel::enjoy: and thanks for your information :D its very good idea to travel by road to china i guess :D in this summer i will be visiting pak china bordering area after it my my gilgit baltistan chapter will end and will move ahead with china next destination for my traveling INSHA ALLAH :china::pakistan:

Seasonal Xinjiang Spectacles
Most of what has already been mentioned is worth visiting year round. There are a few places, however, whose beauty can only really be appreciated at certain times of the year. These seasonal views sometimes last a couple weeks and sometimes last only a couple days.

Spring – Xinjiang’s Apricot Blossoms

Every year around the end of March to early April, photographers and travelers descend on Xinyuan county in northwestern Xinjiang to experience the Apricot blossoms. The gorgeous pink buds create an incredible but short-lived display along the grasslands of the area.

Spring – Narat Grasslands

Perhaps the idea of large tracks of land covered in grass sound boring, but the gentle rolling terrain mixed with gorgeous flowers extending as far as the eye can see is breathtaking. The Narat Grasslands (known in Chinese as “Nalati”) are an excellent place to enjoy the new blossoms of spring.

Summer – Huocheng Lavender Fields

The Yili region of Xinjiang has become known for their production of lavender – they claim to produce 95% of China’s lavender sub-products. During the summer months these fields of lavender clothe the region in a royal purple that is stunning.

Autumn – Xinjiang Poplar Forrest

Xinjiang’s Tarim basin is home to one of the world’s only Poplar Forrest Natural Reserves. These trees, which are often described as “living fossils”, look gnarly and twisted and turn a colorful yellow and orange during the autumn months.

Winter – Hemu Village

Just west of Kanas Lake in northern Xinjiang’s Altay region you’ll find the picturesque Hemu Village. Although it’s really a great place to visit any time of the year, it has a special winter wonderland feel to it during the snowy months of winter.

The Turd above wants to own everything without hard labor. Nothing comes fro free. Huawei empowers their high speed line, but even that comes at a price.

:smitten::smitten::smitten: boyy you keep coming the pictures :enjoy:

and do tell me how much time it will require to explore xinjang ?? and that floating mountains national park ??? number of days including traveling ? you advice will be highly appreciated :enjoy: and about night life of cities there in that province ?

and do tell me how much time it will require to explore xinjang ?? and that floating mountains national park ??? number of days including traveling ? you advice will be highly appreciated :enjoy: and about night life of cities there in that province ?

The province is huge, so, preplanned visits would probably be more productive in terms of seeing as much as possible.

From the travel guide:

5 Unforgettable Experiences on the Karakoram Highway
November 7, 2014

When my friend and I decided to pay a visit to Xinjiang back in May 2012, the aspect of the trip I was most excited about was the opportunity to tackle the Karakoram Highway as it stretched from Kashgar all the way to the Sino-Pakistani border in Kunjerab Pass.

I’d read some fascinating posts about the often bumpy but wonderfully scenic drive on various sites (including this one) and couldn’t wait to stretch my legs and give my camera a workout after three months in built up, smoggy Nanjing.

While Urumqi didn’t feel a whole lot different from the Han dominated and designed cities I’d left on the east coast, the 36 hour trip to and from the border offered me some of my absolute favorite travel memories.

#5 – Lunch in Opal

The first stop after departing from Kashgar, the muddy streets and ramshackle huts of tiny Opal were our first introduction to just how different Xinjiang province is from the heavily urbanized and industrialized Jiangsu province we’d called home.

If we were under the illusion we were in a touristy spot, Opal definitely dispelled that…”

In stark contrast to the Jaguars and Ferraris that prowled the streets outside the upscale malls of Jiangsu province, here were donkey drawn carts and hobbled together vehicles weaving their way down muddy streets lined with vendors selling everything from refreshments to batteries to antique furniture.

As the last real pit-stop before Tashkorgan, we stopped off in Opal for a traditional lunch of Uyghur naan, traditional kawaplar (kebabs), and laghman (noodles, mutton, and vegetables) while seated cross-legged on a raised platform offering a view of the surrounding streets and stores.

It was an intriguing glimpse into a more traditional way of life than the hustle and bustle of the city, and we certainly drew a lot of curious glances of our own from the locals.

After eating our fill, we took the time to wander the streets and snap some photos of a much simpler kind of life to what we’d come to expect from China. If we were under the illusion we were in a touristy spot, Opal definitely dispelled that for us.

#4 – Kunjerab Pass
It might seem odd that the final destination of our trip – the pass where China ends and Pakistan begins, would be so low on the list. It’s both an indication of how stunning other elements of the trip were and how out of it with altitude sickness I was when we arrived.

With snow everywhere, the pass is certainly a visually spectacular destination. A little dazed, I vaguely recall stumbling around to snap pictures of icicles hanging from barbed wire while a bus load of religious travelers sang their praises while saluting the sun.

Scenery-along-the-Karakoram-Highway-625x468.jpg

There’s a real sense of isolation and desolation up there in the mountains, where even China’s immense industrial reach hasn’t quite managed to extend. Aside from a few ramshackle buildings, you’d be forgiven for thinking the entire area had been abandoned to the elements.

#3 – Visiting a Local Family
I couldn’t point it out on a map, but somewhere between Lake Karakul and Tashgorkan we pulled off the highway and travelled across a swaying bridge that spanned a turbulent mess of rocks and racing water.

These people… possessed the kind of view that people from wealthier backgrounds would pay top dollar.”

On the other side we met a local family and their modest homestead, where children played merrily in the dusty earth while various livestock looked on with disinterest at our passage.

While mother worked at baking bread in their large outdoor oven, the patriarch of the family proudly showed us his home and allowed us to snap photos of the truly stunning view he and his family could take in every morning.

It was an odd feeling, seeing these people who had so little in a material way, but who possessed the kind of view that people from wealthier backgrounds would pay top dollar. Snow-capped mountains towered overhead and the world sprawled out beneath us, while this family scratched out a living in their own tiny corner of it all.

A-beautiful-Yurt-in-Xinjiang-625x833.jpg

#2 – Lake Karakul
Ringed by snowy peaks and looking both crystal clear and forbiddingly cold, Lake Karakul is one of the more well-known landmarks along the Karakorum Highway. Icy cold winds battered us as we clambered out of the van to stretch our legs and take in the thin mountain air, and with the winds came eager locals looking to sell us felt hats and jewellery.

With their insistent sales pitches, it was perhaps a bit hard to take in the quiet that must naturally hang over the lake, but with no buildings in sight aside from a few yurts, it’s certainly possible to soak in the natural beauty on display.

Xinjiangs-Karakul-Lake-625x392.jpg

#1 – Tashgorkan
Even two and a half years on, the border town of Tashkorgan remains neck and neck with Jiuzhaigou as my favorite place in China. There was something tangible about the serenity that hangs over this isolated mountain town – China’s westernmost outpost.

From the solemn ruins of the Stone Fort that stands as testament to China’s ancient history down to the newly erected wooden walkways that draw intricate patterns atop the verdant grasslands below, there’s no shortage of peace and quiet to be found in the town.

Tashkorgan-Xinjiang-625x416.jpg

We started our morning picking carefully over the ruins of the Stone Fort and finished it chatting with a local woman as she did some sewing while watching over the yaks grazing on the impossibly green grass. The cheerful laughter of the stream and the occasional squeak of a water wheel were our only accompaniment to the impossibly big skies and the vastness of the grasslands. It was a transcendent moment.

Northern Xinjiang | Winter Skiing Paradise

I’m going to go ahead and make a prediction here: by 2020, northern Xinjiang will become China’s winter sports mecca. The region is already set to host the Chinese National Winter games in 2016 and they’ve recently completed a massive sports complex for the event near the capital of Urumqi.

There’s still a long way to go before Xinjiang is ever considered among the great places to ski in the world but there’s still plenty of beautiful scenery and nice slopes to be had here. According to China Daily there are over 200 ski resorts in Xinjiang.

For most travelers, there are really three possible places you should consider skiing:

• NanShan (Urumqi): just an hour south of Urumqi there are plenty of places to ski and this is also where that new winter sports complex has been built. The skiing isn’t fantastic but it’s convenient. If you don’t have the time/money to go further north, it’s not a terrible option. Also, it’s possible to hike NanShan during the winter.
  • Heavenly Lake: there is skiing near Heavenly Lake which can be a great option. The scenery is gorgeous but it takes about an hour longer to get to Heavenly Lake than NanShan, potentially cutting your skiing time.
  • Altay: if you have the budget to take the flight north into beautiful Kazakh country, these slopes are more of the real deal. Ski tourism is still young but it’s growing and there’s plenty of opportunity.
NanShan-Xinjiang-Skiing-625x366.jpg

Slopes at Urumqi’s NanShan (Photo credit: SkiChina.com)

Outside of winter sports, traveling northern Xinjiang during the winter is doable but tough. Places like Heavenly Lake and Kanas Park are usually open but are prone to close after a strong snow. Expect very cold temperatures and virtually no other tourists.

Traveling by car to various places usually isn’t bad but again, it’s all dependent upon the weather. There is a train from Urumqi to Burqin (the closest city to Kanas) and flights to Altay that can be incredibly cheap in the winter (I saw them for 160RMB last week!).

There are some tourist agencies in Urumqi that can arrange a hiking or cross-country skiing tour through northern Xinjiang. The views of places like Hemu Village covered in snow are great but they come at a high cost in personal comfort!

hemu-winter.jpg

Southern Xinjiang | Frozen Silk Road
The good news is that if you’re coming to Xinjiang to see the ancient Silk Road, it’s still open for business during the winter.

Keep in mind, though: some people are under the mistaken impression that the presence of the massive Taklamakan Desert in southern Xinjiang means that it won’t be cold during the winter. Not so. In fact, the Taklamakan is considered a “cold desert climate” and is sometimes covered in a thin blanket of snow.

So let me walk through a few of Xinjiang’s more popular locations and give a clearer picture of what they’re like in the winter:

• Turpan: considering that much of what makes Turpan interesting is made of mud-brick, it’s going to be the same color whether in winter or in summer! Seriously, though, Turpan can get really cold in the dead of winter but most all of the tourist destinations will be open for business. I recommend hiring a driver for the day just so you never get stuck waiting outside for transportation. It’s also quite convenient to take the new high speed train from Urumqi to Turpan.
  • Hami: for most people I would recommend skipping Hami during the winter. Sites of interest within the city are few and the grasslands that are popular outside the city will be dead.
  • Kashgar: Definitely go to Kashgar! The weather is cold but still worth walking around outside. Taking a trip up the Karakoram Highway is hit or miss but there’s still plenty to see within the city – the Id Kah Mosque, Apak Khoja Mausoleum, the Old City…the list goes on and on. If you do want to travel up the Karakoram Highway to Karakul Lake, you’ll need to hire a tour guide that can arrange a home stay. All the yurts will be abandoned and unusable during the winter.
  • Khotan: if you’re intent on taking a trip down to Khotan, I wont’ stop you. Daily life isn’t quite as interesting in the winter – which is part of the allure of Khotan – but you can always take a bus across the Taklamakan Desert on your way back to Urumqi.
Kashgar-Old-City-Snow-625x403.jpg

Photo credit: Kashgar Travel

Bottom line: it’s entirely possible to take a trip along the ancient Silk Road during the winter, just make sure you’re well-dressed for the journey.

Back
Top Bottom