What's new

World miracle:Running on the roof of the worldQinghai–Tibet railway

Beijing's subway for unlimited ride,one ticket is 2 yuan,(0.30 $). uniform fare for taking the bus is 0.30yuan,less than 0.05$.

Now this is what indian railways in particular and india in general need to learn from China!! a top-notch tech marvel, built in record time, and running smoothly, while also taking care of comfort needs! Our railways are still in the same 3rd class state in which Mahatma Gandhi used to travel...

Congrats to the Chinese members... and I hope we do "catch up" with them in the foreseeable future...

Wow tibet is a beautiful place. Can some chinese friends tell me the speed of those trains. How long does is take to travel from
Qinghai to Tibet.

Now this is what indian railways in particular and india in general need to learn from China!! a top-notch tech marvel, built in record time, and running smoothly, while also taking care of comfort needs! Our railways are still in the same 3rd class state in which Mahatma Gandhi used to travel...

Congrats to the Chinese members... and I hope we do "catch up" with them in the foreseeable future...

But look at the IR fare...from Trivandrum to Delhi its around 3000km and the charge for 2 tier AC is INR 2220 (approx USD 44) & if you are travelling by luxurious Rajadhani, its INR 5240 (approx USD 105).

But look at the IR fare...from Trivandrum to Delhi its around 3000km and the charge for 2 tier AC is INR 2220 (approx USD 44) & if you are travelling by luxurious Rajadhani, its INR 5240 (approx USD 105).

Believe me, my friend, if one can afford to travel in AC II tier or above, he can afford a little more money for sure if he gets the quality.. Just last week, i went from Kochi to Goa in "Okha express".. and that must be the dirtiest train ever (and I have travelled a lot..). It was stinking, the inner roof was all black with dirt, the mattresses were torn, and there were mice and cockroaches everywhere... the wash basin was jammed... and this was 3rd AC... i went to sleeper class, and that was worse than what u could expect in an Indian jail... now cost apart, is it "human" to make the normal people travel in such general and sleeper coaches???

and its not because of lack of money... its because of apathy and corruption... all of us, we the indians, need a huge kick in the a$$ to start working and respecting our nation... only lip-praise and singing patriotic songs along with buying a 5 Re worth tricolour on 15th aug/ 26th jan won't do anything...

Wow tibet is a beautiful place. Can some chinese friends tell me the speed of those trains. How long does is take to travel from
Qinghai to Tibet.

These are not high speed trains because of technological challenge and the need to protect Tibet's fragile ecological system, according to Wiki:

The operational speed is 120 km/h, 100 km/h over sections laid on permafrost. The total length of Qingzang railway is 1956 km (1215 mi).

So this should give 20+ hours. Here's the price:

Xining-Lhasa
Distance: 1,972 KM
Hard seat: 226 yuan (US$28) (Picture I posted above)
Hard sleeper (6 berth room): 523 yuan(US$65)
Soft Sleeper (4 berth root): 810 yuan (US$101)

Three classes in Chinese train carriage.
The “hard seat”,
t5uhc.jpg
7hoVM.jpg

the“hard berth”
bj5GW.jpg
ADaXd.jpg

and the“soft berth”
Bp9wf.jpg
mbcCN.jpg

So the price is different.

Qinghai–Tibet railway tickets price are a little more expensive than the other common railways for its high construction cost。
for example,Beijing to Lhasa 3753 miles : hard seat $57.3 hard berth $121 soft berth $187.6

This is the actual picture of Qinghai-Tibet train:

Hard seat:

226 yuan (US$28) (Picture I posted above)

Hard sleeper: 523 yuan(US$65):
0_P1020957.JPG

Soft sleeper: 810 yuan (US$101)
20074251831263.jpg

It is of similar configuration of all Chinese trains (other than short-distance ones), Hard sleeper and soft sleeper look the same for all kinds of trains, regardless of high speed or not. For new trains, hard seat look a bit fancier.

These are not high speed trains because of technological challenge and the need to protect Tibet's fragile ecological system, according to Wiki:

The operational speed is 120 km/h, 100 km/h over sections laid on permafrost. The total length of Qingzang railway is 1956 km (1215 mi).

So this should give 20+ hours. Here's the price:

Xining-Lhasa
Distance: 1,972 KM
Hard seat: 226 yuan (US$28) (Picture I posted above)
Hard sleeper (6 berth room): 523 yuan(US$65)
Soft Sleeper (4 berth root): 810 yuan (US$101)
It is years ago,the latest price is
Hard seat: 219 yuan
Hard sleeper : 513 yuan
Soft Sleeper : 796 yuan

I am always amused to see the quality of chinese rolling stock. Looks top notch.
This is one thing the Indian Raiways should learn from you guys. Even though things are improving, the quality of the rolling stock isnt that great with the exception of first class in Rajdhani exp.

Even the new ones lack visual appeal compared to the chinese ones.
http://www.faltublog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/interior-design-of-double-decker-train-in-india.jpg
Luckily no problem in reliablity though

The workmanship of the Indian train is indeed not good at all. Some of the trimmings and edges look dangerous for passengers in case of an emergency break.

Chinese trains look sleek and have a great workmanship, but I don't like the colour scheme and the fabric they use fo the seats and berths. There is still too much kitsch and frills making them look completely out of place in a modern environment. That's the "software" China is still lacking.

Götterdämmerung;2528582 said:
Chinese trains look sleek and have a great workmanship, but I don't like the colour scheme and the fabric they use fo the seats and berths. There is still too much kitsch and frills making them look completely out of place in a modern environment. That's the "software" China is still lacking.

Chinese in general prefer light and bright colors (that's why trains and subway are usually in white/blue scheme) and that's why IKEA is popular among middle class bourgeoisies. I feel western culture feel dark colors more noble and tasty. It took me some time to adapt to this when buying homes in US. :laugh:

Chinese in general prefer light and bright colors (that's why trains and subway are usually in white/blue scheme) and that's why IKEA is popular among middle class bourgeoisies. I feel western culture feel dark colors more noble and tasty. It took me some time to adapt to this when buying homes in US. :laugh:

It has nothing to do with light or dark, it's the frills that just don't match well with a clean and sleek environment. But if you go back to classical China, dark and matt colours were prefered by the educated elite. You should read In Praise of Shadows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki. A wonderful read on Eastern aesthetics and beauty. The bright colour thing is a more recent development, which I think has nomadic (Manchu) and peasant roots.

Believe me, my friend, if one can afford to travel in AC II tier or above, he can afford a little more money for sure if he gets the quality.. Just last week, i went from Kochi to Goa in "Okha express".. and that must be the dirtiest train ever (and I have travelled a lot..). It was stinking, the inner roof was all black with dirt, the mattresses were torn, and there were mice and cockroaches everywhere... the wash basin was jammed... and this was 3rd AC... i went to sleeper class, and that was worse than what u could expect in an Indian jail... now cost apart, is it "human" to make the normal people travel in such general and sleeper coaches???

and its not because of lack of money... its because of apathy and corruption... all of us, we the indians, need a huge kick in the a$$ to start working and respecting our nation... only lip-praise and singing patriotic songs along with buying a 5 Re worth tricolour on 15th aug/ 26th jan won't do anything...

Lets face it ..When did human comfort got precedence in India? The Govt always thinks that their work is done as long as they give cheap and efficient transport.

When the world was moving ahead in air conditioned Hondas & Toyotas, GoI thought that we are better off driving bulky Ambassadors and maruti 800s.

Back
Top Bottom