What's new

World Economy Slowed as India's GDP Slightly Fell in 2012-13 in USD terms

Indian rupee continued its downward spiral...down 4.4 percent to a record this week in its worst performance since 1993 on signs the U.S. is getting closer to reducing stimulus that fueled demand for emerging-market assets.

At INR 65 to a US $, India's 2012-13 GDP is down to $1.54 trillion....Rs. 100.2 trillion/65.

#RBI actions too little too late as #India 's #financialcrisis intensifies. 1990s Asia currency crisis being repeated?

Haq's Musings: India's GDP Shrank to $1.84 Trillion in 2012-13 in US Dollar Terms

Here's Wall Street Journal quoting BRIC coiner Jim O'Neill as saying “If I were to change it, I would just leave the ‘C’:

SAO PAULO–Former Goldman Sachs Asset Management Chairman Jim O’Neill, who coined the BRIC acronym describing four burgeoning emerging market countries, stands by the term he invented more than a decade ago, but admits that three of the countries have disappointed him in recent years.

The acronym created in 2001 groups Brazil, Russia, India and China, and has become a reference for a perceived shift in economic power toward developing economies.

“If I were to change it, I would just leave the ‘C,’” Mr. O’Neill said in an interview. “But then, I don’t think it would be much of an acronym.”

Economic growth in other BRIC countries has been disappointing, and the economic outlook for developing economies in general has changed in the last few years amid the end of a commodities boom and a slowdown in Chinese growth–which nevertheless remains high compared with that of its counterparts.

Meanwhile, signs of a recovery in the U.S and expectations the Federal Reserve will soon reduce its bond-buying program have helped strengthen the U.S. dollar, sucking money out of emerging markets and putting even more pressure on their less developed economies.

It has become “fashionable” to say the developed world is recovering while emerging markets are all slowing down, Mr. O’Neill said. “But what people don’t understand is the size of China,” he added.

The economist said that if China’s economy grows 7.5% this year, as he expects, that would create an additional $1 trillion in wealth, in U.S. dollar terms. “For the U.S. to contribute at the same level, it would have to grow around 3.75%,” Mr. O’Neill said.

Economists currently expect the U.S. economy to expand 1.5% in 2013, down from 2% projected in May, according to a recent survey by the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.

From 2011 to 2020, Mr. O’Neill said he has assumed average growth for the BRIC countries of 6.6% a year, less than the 8.5% average in the previous decade. Most of it up to now has come from China.

India has been the biggest disappointment among the BRIC countries, while Brazil has been the most volatile in terms of investor perceptions, the economist said.

“Between 2001 and 2004, many people told me I should never have included Brazil. Then, from 2008 to 2010, people told me I was a genius for including Brazil and now, again, people say Brazil doesn’t deserve to be there,” he said.

Brazil’s economic growth, which reached 7.5% in 2010, has been weak since then in spite of multiple government stimulus measures. The country seems doomed to growth of 2% or so in both 2013 and 2014, according to economists’ forecasts.

Brazil’s rapid growth in 2010 raised expectations, but many people forgot that the country is vulnerable to big moves in commodities prices, Mr. O’Neill said.

Another problem, he said, is that private investment remains a small share of the country’s gross domestic product. Brazil’s investment rate has been stuck at around 18% of GDP, the lowest level of any BRIC country, for a decade.

---

“They should only worry if there’s a pickup in inflation expectations; otherwise, they should relax,” he said, before the central bank late Thursday unveiled a massive intervention program to provide relief for the currency.

Brazilian inflation is currently 6.15%, close to the 6.5% ceiling of the central bank’s target range for 2013.

Even in the face of weak growth, Mr. O’Neill says he doesn’t plan to add or subtract letters from his famous acronym.

“If, by the end of 2015, there is persistent weak growth in Brazil, India or Russia, then I might,” he said, noting, however, that he expects Brazil to surprise positively in 2015, possibly even in 2014.

China Only BRIC Country Currently Worthy of the Title -O’Neill - MoneyBeat - WSJ

The relentless rout of the Indian rupee continued with the currency of the Asia’s third largest economy breaching the key level of 66.00 to the dollar on Tuesday, portending that its abysmal plunge to 70 is well nigh imminent.
The rupee’s steep plunge to a new all-time low of 66.24 from 64.30 on Monday was partly on fears over a US-led military strike in Syria, which could push oil prices higher globally, even as investors became more nervous over the astronomical cost of a new move by New Delhi to provide subsidised food to millions of Indians.

The inexorable dive of the rupee did little to cheer the bewildered non-resident Indians in the Gulf who are caught in a paradoxical situation with those who remitted the money over the past few weeks ruing over their loss as the fall of the currency continued unabated.

In 10 weeks or so, the partly convertible Indian currency lost 22 per cent of its value against the dollar-pegged dirham — from just over Rs14 per dirham in May to Rs18.21 on Tuesday.

The new bout of alarm over India’s fiscal deficit in the wake of the $20 billion food security plan eclipsed an announcement by Finance Minister P. Chidambaram that the government had approved infrastructure projects worth $28.38 billion, a step aimed at reviving economic growth and shoring up investor confidence.

Despite Chidambaram’s promise on Tuesday that the government would meet its fiscal deficit target, the rupee plumbed new depths.

Business - Indian rupee in free fall

The relentless rout of the Indian rupee continued with the currency of the Asia’s third largest economy breaching the key level of 66.00 to the dollar on Tuesday, portending that its abysmal plunge to 70 is well nigh imminent.
The rupee’s steep plunge to a new all-time low of 66.24 from 64.30 on Monday was partly on fears over a US-led military strike in Syria, which could push oil prices higher globally, even as investors became more nervous over the astronomical cost of a new move by New Delhi to provide subsidised food to millions of Indians.

The inexorable dive of the rupee did little to cheer the bewildered non-resident Indians in the Gulf who are caught in a paradoxical situation with those who remitted the money over the past few weeks ruing over their loss as the fall of the currency continued unabated.

In 10 weeks or so, the partly convertible Indian currency lost 22 per cent of its value against the dollar-pegged dirham — from just over Rs14 per dirham in May to Rs18.21 on Tuesday.

The new bout of alarm over India’s fiscal deficit in the wake of the $20 billion food security plan eclipsed an announcement by Finance Minister P. Chidambaram that the government had approved infrastructure projects worth $28.38 billion, a step aimed at reviving economic growth and shoring up investor confidence.

Despite Chidambaram’s promise on Tuesday that the government would meet its fiscal deficit target, the rupee plumbed new depths.

Business - Indian rupee in free fall

It's down to 68Rs now apparently. A higher oil price will widen India's CAD and further weaken the rupee. India is screwed royally from behind.

See, that makes sense.

India is cutting their defence budget because India's economy is shrinking in nominal terms.

India Cuts Defense Budget As Economy slows - WSJ.com

This year they actually have LESS money to buy foreign stuff than before. Their economy is shrinking in nominal terms because the Rupee is falling, and no one will accept payment in Rupees they'll want foreign currency.

Since India seems to be stuck at 3-4% economic growth, it seems they'll be getting weaker and weaker over the years.

In fact, I think Manmohan just hinted at cutting India's defence budget AGAIN:

Govt may cut down on defence budget: PM - Times Of India

Manmohan is a hero, he is going to destroy India's capability to defend itself.

India is screwed big time, china with its current rate of economic growth is struggling to create enough well paid jobs for its youth.
India, which has countless times highlighted their young population base is headed for disaster if they can't even break away from the "hindu" rate of growth.

The surge in social problems in India this year is almost certainly attributable to this.

fools are jumping threads now....lol....get a life

fools are jumping threads now....lol....get a life

Remember you idiots started flaming first, we are only responding to the pathetic mess that calls itself India with hard facts that even Indians know themselves.

Remember you idiots started flaming first, we are only responding to the pathetic mess that calls itself India with hard facts that even Indians know themselves.
u were respected by most of the indian members here....but its u who took it from an indian traitor to gdp to poverty....cant u guys come up with something new??....crying about the same s*** again n again...yeah we know we have poor and our economy is not as strong as urz...but at least we do not jump threads like u r doing ryt now....coz we have a life to live....

They respect me because I talk sense.

Unfortunately, the Indian members here do not. Even the Indian President does not, look at this:

India to become superpower by 2012: Kalam - Economic Times
talk sense ??!! u r nothing else but a despo.....wasting ur life jumping threads just to insult indians.....even though u know tat u guys are far better than us...and we know tat too.....

....looks like u r the only unique piece in china....as i know chinese are not like this...they are hard working people...they would never waste their time jumping threads like u are doing ryt now

talk sense ??!! u r nothing else but a despo.....wasting ur life jumping threads just to insult indians.....even though u know tat u guys are far better than us...and we know tat too.....

....looks like u r the only unique piece in china....as i know chinese are not like this...they are hard working people...they would never waste their time jumping threads like u are doing ryt now

Unfortunately I can't say the same for you Indians, you guys are worse than your President who said that India is a superpower in 2012. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom