What's new

With eye on China, India deploys Akash missiles in northeast !

Yep,it should be 144 akash SAM'a as per the wiki link , but the link also says that a total of 3000 akash missiles have been developed as of yet :) , i wonder were all of those missiles have been deployed. :)
8 launchers at both IAF base, and almost 100 launchers in northern India and 48 in eastern india including north east.

just for a example if we make a straight line up of a single Akash squadron, it will cover and provide protection to almost 400 kms per squadron in army while in airforce it will come down to 200 kms.

Last edited:
one good response I found on Prasun Sengupta's blog
There are few other good posts.
-----------------
Along the LAC, China does not enjoy superior situational awareness due to its inability to lay hands on new-generation MALE-UAVs capable of flying over high-altitude mountainous terrain. All it has are locally-developed manually-launched CH-802 mini-UAVs like the Skylark. It is for this reason the PLA Border Defence Regiments regularly undertake long-range patrols (LRP) & transgress over India-claimed territory & such patrols never stay put for more than 4 hours. The IA too undertakes similar LRPs over China-claimed territory, albeit on a much lesser scale since the IA has access to a certain type of non-Israeli MALE-UAV (the US-supplied General Atomics Predator) that outperforms its Chinese counterpart (the CH-4A Wing Loong). Furthermore, unlike the IAF’s EL/M-2060P SAR pods, the PLAAF does not possess anything of this kind. All that the PLA can therefore field as early warning systems are about 10 ELINT/SIGINT outposts stretching from Aksai Chin right up to Num La.

:rofl:

ignorance bordering on incredulity。:enjoy:

By the way,Akash is simply a piece of junk that belongs in 1960s。

Or was it 1970s?:D

sorry but thats incorrect figures. There will be 294 Akash SAMs stationed in ready to fire mode.

For IAF,
Battery = four self-propelled Launchers(3 Akash SAMs each) = 4*3 =12.
Squadron=Two batteries =12*2=24.
India has now begun deploying six Akash surface-to-air missile (SAM) squadrons in the northeast= 6*24=144.

Each Akash battery consists of four self-propelled Launchers (3 Akash SAMs each), a Battery Level Radar - the Rajendra, and a Command post (Battery Control Centre). Two batteries are deployed as a Squadron (Air Force), while up to four form an Akash Group (Army configuration).
Akash (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@sancho @Abingdonboy

Well,our IAF and IA do not seem to share the view as you do.In fact,IAF was so confident on the capabilities and growth potential of Akash MkI that they rejected the idea of jointly developing the Maitri QRSAM system and went ahead with more Akash orders.

But at the end,I know I just wasted my time and energy on you.You are free to believe in whatever that makes you sleep at night.Personally,I've got no problem with that.

Well,our IAF and IA do not seem to share the view as you do.In fact,IAF was so confident on the capabilities and growth potential of Akash MkI that they rejected the idea of jointly developing the Maitri QRSAM system and went ahead with more Akash orders.

But at the end,I know I just wasted my time and energy on you.You are free to believe in whatever that makes you sleep at night.Personally,I've got no problem with that.

This is Sham ! s300's and air-defence units should have been put up ages ago !
What are they waiting for Christmas ?

For IAF,
India has now begun deploying six Akash surface-to-air missile (SAM) squadrons in the northeast= 6*24=144.
my bad. Didn't notice that these will be going to IAF. You are correct on these 6 squadrons.

For IAF,

The numbers you have and the other members have stated are actually the numbers of missiles mounted on the launchers, i.e. the number of missiles kept in ready to fire mode. In addition to these missiles, a significant number of them are carried as reloads by trucks which form an integral part of the battery/squadron.

The following images show the other, low-profile vehicles that make up the Akash missile battery/group. Note that this list is not exhaustive.

15_714477.jpg
14_714803.jpg

3-716802.jpg
12-723505.jpg

13-723859.jpg

Once the initial fusillade has been fired from the launcher, the vehicles shown above prep the reload missiles and mount them on the empty launcher, and wa la. The process may take upto 20 minutes, but under adverse conditions, even more.

Pics credits to Livefist

The numbers you have and the other members have stated are actually the numbers of missiles mounted on the launchers, i.e. the number of missiles kept in ready to fire mode. In addition to these missiles, a significant number of them are carried as reloads by trucks which form an integral part of the battery/squadron.

The following images show the other, low-profile vehicles that make up the Akash missile battery/group. Note that this list is not exhaustive.

15_714477.jpg
14_714803.jpg

3-716802.jpg
12-723505.jpg

13-723859.jpg

Once the initial fusillade has been fired from the launcher, the vehicles shown above prep the reload missiles and mount them on the empty launcher, and wa la. The process may take upto 20 minutes, but under adverse conditions, even more.

Pics credits to Livefist
And yes we are talking about ready to launch missiles.

For IAF,
my bad. Didn't notice that these will be going to IAF. You are correct on these 6 squadrons.
or perhaps you were correct.

In March 2009, Tata Power's Strategic Engineering Division ( Tata Power SED) announced that it had secured the INR 1.82 Billion order for 16 Akash launchers to be delivered in the next 33 months.
In January 2010, it was revealed that the Indian Air Force had ordered for 6 more squadrons. Each squadron will consist of 125 missiles, bringing the order to 750 missiles for 6 squadrons.The first two squadrons will consist of 48 missiles each while future squadrons will vary in number depending on the IAF.

In February 2010, the Indian Air Force accepted the Akash missile system as a substantial part of its arsenal.The total Indian Air Force orders thus far consist of 8 squadrons making a total of 1,000 missiles. :)
1000 Akash(SAM's) for IAF :devil:
:smokin:

is it ?? chal tu s400 laga de koi ni !

Arey yaar,aap kam se kam itna to batao ki kaun si S 300??The S 300 is a much boarder term used by NATO to describe a whole family of different SAMs.There are literally dozens of S 300 variants out there,which one you are talking about??

And besides,why would India need to deploy a heavy SAM like say, S 300 PMU2 against PLAAF??Heavy SAMs like these were developed to primarily engage high altitude bombers with secondary anti Tactical Ballistic Missile capabilities!!But due to their heavy weight,these SAMs have got somewhat poor lateral acceleration,which is more important to successfully engage modern highly maneuverable strike fighter like the J 10s and J 11s of PLAAF. That's the reason why PLAAF has deployed their Buk copies in TAR to counter the IAF fighters.So why should India be an exception??The best bait would be to deploy the combo of Barak 2ER SAMs for area defense and the Akash ESHORADS for point defence.Seems like IAF is going in that direction anyway,so no S 300.

Back
Top Bottom