What's new

Windows XP is a HUGE security risk

You probably dont know what kind of budget US has.
The only systems that have not went for eCycle are those techs which are obsolote and US have either abondended them or have a replace in place.
Maintaining age old system is much more costlier then upgrading to new system. Just go out and ask for a 2/4 MB ram that 486 or pentium based machine used and figure out how much it costs to get something like that.

I know their budget genius.

If the system works, they probably see no need to upgrade it. Maintaining it shouldn't be difficult, it's a damn floppy!

Wrong. MS DOES provide source code under NDA if you are a large enough customer. It was actually provided to China and it got leaked on the internet. Also the detailed PDBs used in kernel driver development contain a lot of information as well.

Custom Linux distro IS THE way to go. Any software that can't be ported should be rewritten.

Microsoft GSP program gives controlled access to review code, it doesnt provide rights to change or compile the code, so governments cant build there own windows version.

I know their budget genius.

If the system works, they probably see no need to upgrade it. Maintaining it shouldn't be difficult, it's a damn floppy!

Go to local market and ask for a floppy. Not sure if you side of country is still stuck in 90's in that regard. Here its next to impossible to source a 1.44 floppy forget 3.5 inch floppies.

Go to local market and ask for a floppy. Not sure if you side of country is still stuck in 90's in that regard. Here its next to impossible to source a 1.44 floppy forget 3.5 inch floppies.

They kept them from the old days genius, they don't actively buy new ones.

They kept them from the old days genius, they don't actively buy new ones.

Well I guess you have no idea about the avg lifespan of floppies and how floppies works.
Secondly you dont know that floppies uses in American system where milspec flopies, custom built with titanium jackets, millitary grade plastic substrate and specialized iron fills. They cost almost as much as a desktop or laptop.
Even after that there lifespan was not expected more than 5yrs. So as per procedure they would need to be destroyed and replaced with freshly produced floppies.

When Air Gapped systems a.k.a Critical national security communication equipments are not safe from NSA hacking what Linux or Windows XP going to do infront of NSA ? @Zibago @CriticalThought

Case in Point, America gain access to Chinese air gapped systems installed in Green room of PTA

April 2013 presentation detailing CNE (Computer Network Exploitation)

juTDKto.png

Page 2: PMR (Program Management Review) Agenda

nDzLtgx.png

Page 3: Details of Pakistan CNE (Computer Network Exploitation)

mkC8zKV.png

Page 4: Details of Lebanon CNE (Computer Network Exploitation)

fAfzpRW.jpg

Well I guess you have no idea about the avg lifespan of floppies and how floppies works.
Secondly you dont know that floppies uses in American system where milspec flopies, custom built with titanium jackets, millitary grade plastic substrate and specialized iron fills. They cost almost as much as a desktop or laptop.
Even after that there lifespan was not expected more than 5yrs. So as per procedure they would need to be destroyed and replaced with freshly produced floppies.

No, I don't sit in my basement reading about computers all day like some dead-beat. I'll leave that to you guys.

When Air Gapped systems a.k.a Critical national security communication equipments are not safe from NSA hacking what Linux or Windows XP going to do infront of NSA ? @Zibago @CriticalThought

Case in Point, America gain access to Chinese air gapped systems installed in Green room of PTA

April 2013 presentation detailing CNE (Computer Network Exploitation)

juTDKto.png

Page 2: PMR (Program Management Review) Agenda

nDzLtgx.png

Page 3: Details of Pakistan CNE (Computer Network Exploitation)

mkC8zKV.png

Page 4: Details of Lebanon CNE (Computer Network Exploitation)

fAfzpRW.jpg

So that means just give up and raise the white flag? They don't have any magic. Their capabilities are bound by the laws of physics. If you are using their hardware and software, the details of which you don't understand, consider yourself compromised. If you are letting electromagnetic, audio, physical (pressure, vibrations etc), and chemical signals escape and get detected, consider yourself compromised. Finally, if you have a sellout in your ranks, consider yourself compromised. That's just about it. I have said this before and I will say it again: not acquiring knowledge and expertise in manufacturing and designing electrical and electronic systems is outright treason on the part of our leaders. They are fundamentally incompetent as leaders. This is a FAIL FAIL. It's a DOUBLE FAIL. Its like in 1973 Bhutto hadn't decided to acquire nuclear technology. This is the kind of stuff that makes us a failed state.

All this talk about Win XP takes me back to the beta testing days of XP when it was called "Whistler"...it never was stable back then, but was released anyway ( marketing thing)..it went up to about SP4 ( service pack 4) before someone came up with a replacement Kernel and called it Vista ( which was a colossal turd in it's own right ).

All that said it was a workstation OS and security as we know it now was not that big an issue. When XP went end of life, everyone breathed as HUGE sigh of relief. 64-bit kernels are the way forward so if anyone is using XP.. DON'T - Just DON'T!! :-)

Back
Top Bottom