What's new

Will India ever be a "real" super-power?

Will India ever be a "real" super-power?
Will India ever be a "real" super-power? | Rakhee Ghelani

Rakhee Ghelani

When you live in India, it is almost impossible to go a single day without reading something about corruption. Bribes, kick-backs and ‘gratuities’ are a daily part of living here.

My first official experience of this was when I was travelling in an auto-rickshaw, and the driver accidentally went the wrong way down a one-way street. Unfortunately it was one of the rare times I saw a policeman, who swiftly ordered the driver to stop. After a brief conversation, the driver handed over Rs50 and we were on our way. I asked him whether the Rs50 was a fine, and he explained that the fine was Rs100, the Rs50 was what it cost not to get the fine. The lesson learned: Following the law is not a requirement, and actually it’s not even expected.

Just a cursory look at how people drive here is more than enough evidence that laws either don’t exist or people pay no attention to them, and the only ones who enforce them seem to be those who do so purely to line their own pockets. It is a rather sad state of affairs, and I suspect one of the reasons why India will never be a true “super-power”. They have the brains and the manpower, but there is no discipline, or respect for discipline at all…. and no one seems to care!

Whilst not a matter of national importance, one simple example of this is my weekly Circuit class. Circuit is a gym class where there are 12 stations set up and everyone starts at a different station, you then rotate through all the stations by moving one to your right every 60 seconds. In the class I go to each week there is one guy who just does not think he has to follow the rotation, so he moves to different stations every 60 seconds, depending upon what he feels like doing next. It is irrelevant to him that there are 10 other people in the class whose entire work-out is disrupted because he intrudes on their space whenever he feels like it. He has no discipline, has no interest in following simple routine and doesn’t care who it impacts. Sadly, our gym instructor just tolerates his behaviour and makes no attempt to correct it, so the rest of us just have to put up with it.

Yes it is a very simplified way of looking at things, but this is just one example of so many I see every single day.

Another way that India makes it harder on itself to be taken seriously is the levels of bureaucracy. I moved to Mumbai in March and tried to register myself for a PAN card, which means I can be a law-abiding tax paying citizen. I was not able to apply for a PAN card because I didn’t have a formal address (I have an informal rental arrangement), all my legal documentation (such as my OCI card) shows an Australian address and I don’t even have a license. So I was unable to register. This meant I had trouble getting work, for which I would pay tax, because I couldn’t pay tax legitimately without a PAN card. I would also have trouble getting a formal lease arrangement without a PAN card (and which I needed to get a PAN card)….. and the merry-go-round went on (I have now managed to get myself a PAN card, but it took 5 months and a ridiculous amount of paperwork).

Whilst most countries fall over themselves to make it easy for you to pay tax, India manages to find as many barriers as possible to prevent you from complying with the law. It is actually almost easier to do something outside of the law then it is to be a law-abiding citizen. It seems all the bureaucracy is almost designed to stop India from helping itself.

So I find it amusing when I hear people talk about India being a super-power. Yes it has the population and the brain power, but without organisation and discipline and I am not sure India can ever be a super-power. Having high GDP purely because you have a large population doesn’t make you an economic force to be reckoned with in my opinion, true economic power comes from being able to yield it to your advantage. Add on top of that the overwhelming fear that seems to exist in foreign policy, with foreign direct investment restricted in India. It is almost like India wants to behave like a communist state, controlling what can come in and what people can see, but still tries to call itself a democracy. However the only things that appear to prevail in this democracy is corruption and anarchy.

Whilst I don’t condone corruption, the anarchy and lack of discipline is a big part of what gives India its charm, life is certainly never boring.

Then you add on top of this the social issues that prevail in India. High levels of illiteracy, poverty, lack of sanitation…. whilst many are educated, about a third of the population falls below the poverty line (that is about 400 million people, or 25% more than the entire population of the US). With such extreme issues to deal with, and very little visible action to address them, it seems almost like one part of the population is trying to pretend that the other side exists. Whilst I appreciate that the problem is huge and not an easy one to resolve, ignorance doesn’t make a great leader, action does.

Colourful, incredible and challenging…. yes India is all of these things… but a world super-power….I doubt we will see this in my lifetime.

So it has come down to this... you are going to post random blog posts by random people to satisfy your hurt ego.

so you people just wont go away and let us puke even more by turning into cheerleading nastiness!

What do you mean by Cheerleading? :wacko: Chinese are ahead of everyone in copying the Western culture. :lol:

so you people just wont go away and let us puke even more by turning into cheerleading nastiness!

cheap labour? what is indian's per capita income? you are dirt cheap!

I have given you several solutions and if those are not for you low IQs to understand that is not my fault and keep celebrating on your "demographic dividends" which means, oh shall we wait for the next UN's statistics of indians' undernourished kids?

or the PISA test results? Oh no, indian cheerleaders have given up hope on their kids and dropped out of the test altogether! Congratulations on shoving another dirt under the rug!

Leave or leave your replies here I'll give you another round of awakening answers which you keep denying in several hours time!

Your frustrated anger can not change reality. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!11

How pity that a country famous for its cheap labor have to think of importing contractual labor.

How dare you mocking Indians having one of the cheapest labor in Asia, you must be a shameless false flagger trying hard to defame the upcoming SUPERPOWER India:lol:

CU8sm7F.jpg

China becomes the third highest labour cost in Asia

PS, to be honest, the only India super power stuff i could think of at this moment will be "India super power" in open defecation (with a top of the world domination number of 650 millions+):lol::omghaha:

LOL, your Bollywood is a complete copycat of Hollywood. You're so obsessed with the west, you even want to copy their skin color, fairness cream anyone? :rofl:

Do you have anything Chinese left in your Chinese culture except for food or Chinese characters(which you learn to pronounce using imported Latin writing system). How could China even project her soft-power.

LOL, your Bollywood is a complete copycat of Hollywood. You're so obsessed with the west, you even want to copy their skin color, fairness cream anyone? :rofl:

BBC News - India: Bollywood 'mesmerized' Chinese into crossing border

How dare you mocking Indians having one of the cheapest labor in Asia, you must be a shameless false flagger trying hard to defame the upcoming SUPERPOWER India:lol:

CU8sm7F.jpg

PS, to be honest, the only India super power stuff i could think of at this moment will be "India super power" in open defecation (with a top of the world domination number of 650 millions+):lol::omghaha:

So you accepted India as Super power. Thanks. Now it is CCP's turn to accept that.

I notice you aren't taking any logic. :wacko:

A false flag...

let me be the first to celebrate on india's overtaking China as the largest country in world in terms of headcounts.

I hope indians can achieve that sooner, say in 2025. I thinik it is all achievable. Try harder cheerleaders!

Would you wish that to happen even earlier, in 2020? eh, cheerleaders?

It can happen. All the CCP needs to do is to make it a 0 child policy....

They can take some more steps to make it happen next year as well...

Do you have anything Chinese left in your Chinese culture except for food or Chinese characters(which you learn to pronounce using imported Latin writing system). How could China even project her soft-power.

Plenty, we are the world's oldest continuous civilization. For a start, our skin color is chinese, we don't bleach our skin to be white :laughcry: :rofl:

I do not have the stomach to fight with the few deluded Chinese 1 cent army here. Because I do not see China as an enemy either militarily, ideologically, or spiritually. Never have been.

Something like this.

02-china_movie_ripoffs.jpg

You can watch more here.
When copycat becomes cultural norm in China: Foreign movie posters ripped off

Plenty, we are the world's oldest continuous civilization. For a start, our skin color is chinese, we don't bleach our skin to be white :laughcry: :rofl:

Most of which don't exist today.

not to be a troll here -- but to be a "superpower" then 60% of your population can't be poor and lacking toilets or basic sanitation

super-powers also require a mindset.....one of unity and one of doing everything possible to be business friendly, ripe for investment, and getting rid of red tape. It takes infrastructure. india lags far behind any "superpower"

the 2000s have been very good for india but their growth rates seem to be on the decline; in fact they may have to resort to lending from IMF

so in a short answer, it would be "NO"......they do have a large (over) population not to mention large repatriation from overseas and that in itself would suffice in keeping its economy going.

understand what a "superpower" is first

Not again!!! Don't show your ignorance all the time...

images

Zhang Xi

In the West, tanned complexions represent youth and beauty; in China, however, pale, white skin is the hallmark of a glamourous woman. This deep-rooted ideal has been the foundation of the skin-whitening business.

"Get white" messages are inescapable in this part of the world. Ghostly, white faces fill the scenes of popular Chinese TV dramas. Pale Chinese models peer from the pages of glossy magazines, pout on billboards and in cinema advertisements. And pamphlets with bleached faces jostle for counter space at local department stores.

Models tout products such as Blanc Expert, White-Plus, White-Light, Future White Day, Blanc Purete, Fine Fairness, Active White, White Perfect and Snow UV.

Skin whitening, skin lightening and skin bleaching refers to the practice of using chemical substances in an attempt to lighten skin tones or provide an even skin complexion by lessening the concentration of melanin, which determines the colour of the skin.

not to be a troll here -- but to be a "superpower" then 60% of your population can't be poor and lacking toilets or basic sanitation

super-powers also require a mindset.....one of unity and one of doing everything possible to be business friendly, ripe for investment, and getting rid of red tape. It takes infrastructure. india lags far behind any "superpower"

the 2000s have been very good for india but their growth rates seem to be on the decline; in fact they may have to resort to lending from IMF

so in a short answer, it would be "NO"......they do have a large (over) population not to mention large repatriation from overseas and that in itself would suffice in keeping its economy going.

understand what a "superpower" is first

Yes, we will study the kabaili areas and especially Parchinar to see how a Superpower looks like.

With all the advanced infrastructure and business friendly policies.

And the collective punishment of the kabailis...

Yes, we will study the kabaili areas and especially Parchinar to see how a Superpower looks like.

With all the advanced infrastructure and business friendly policies.

And the collective punishment of the kabailis...

I'm afraid you've been spending too much time in your meth lab.

by the way -- electricity and water are free in Parachinar; there was a blockade of supplies there in '08 until about a couple years back -- but agriculture exists as we have our own rivers.

I'll tell you, nobody in Parachinar goes to sleep hungry.

Something like this.

LOL those were Chinese B movies, even then it's just the poster copy. Your Bollywood A list movies copied everything from Hollywood, you even copied Chinese and Korean movies :omghaha:

Nobody beats Bollywood in copying!

Aap Ki Khatir
The Wedding Date

Agni Sakshi
Sleeping With The Enemy

Aitraaz
Disclosure

Ajnabee
Consenting Adults

Awarapan
A Bittersweet Life

Akele Hum Akele Tum
Kramer Vs. Kramer

Baazigar
A Kiss Before Dying

Black
The Miracle Worker

Bheja Fry
Diner de cons (French), The Dinner Game (English)
Bunty Aur Babli
Bonnie & Clyde

Chachi 420
Mrs. Doubtfire

Chamatkar
Blackbeard's Ghost

Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets
The Usual Suspects

Chor Machaaye Shor
Blue Streak

Deewana Mastana
What about Bob?

Deewane Huye Pagal
There's Something About Mary

Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke
A Walk in the Clouds

Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin
It Happened One Night

Ek Chhoti Si Love Story
Krótki film o miłości (A Short Film About Love)

Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena
Confidence

Fool n Final
Snatch

Footpath
State of Grace

Garam Masala
Boeing Boeing

Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega
While You Were Sleeping

Humraaz
A Perfect Murder

Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin
Analyze This

Hum Tum
When Harry Met Sally

Inteha
Fear

I See You
Just Like Heaven

Jism
Body Heat

Judwaa
The Twin Dragons

Kaante
Reservoir Dogs

Kahin Pyar Na Ho Jaye
The Wedding Singer

Khoon Bhari Maang
Return to Eden

Koi... Mil Gaya
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta
Liar Liar

Life in a...Metro
The Apartment

Main Aisa Hi Hoon
I am Sam

Main Khiladi Tu Anari
The Hard Way

Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya?
Cactus Flower

Malamaal Weekly
Waking Ned

Manorama Six Feet Under
Chinatown

Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai
My Best Friend's Wedding

Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
Anger Management

Murder
Unfaithful

Naqaab
*** the I

Paap
Witness

Partner
Hitch

Phir Milenge
Philadelphia

Pyar to hona hi tha
French Kiss (film)

Raaz
What Lies Beneath

Saaya (film)
Dragonfly (film)

Sangharsh
The Silence of the Lambs

Sarkar
The Godfather

Tathastu
John Q

Taxi No. 9211
Changing Lanes

The Killer
Collateral

The Train
Derailed

Welcome
Mickey Blue Eyes

Zeher
Out of Time

Zinda
Oldboy

Partner (2007) Hitch
Bichhoo(2000) Léon(1994)
Hum kaun hai The Others
36 China Town Once Upon a Crime
Aitraaz disclosure
Jism Body Heat
The Train (2007, Emraan Hasmi) Derailed
Dansh (2005) Death and the Maiden (1994)
Sangharsh (1999) Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Ek Din 24 Ghante (2003) Run Lola Run)
Parichay (1972) The Sound of Music (1965)
Josh (2000) West Side Story (1961)
Deewane Huye Paagal (2005) There is Something About Mary.

Naksha
The Rundown (2003)

The Killer
Collateral (2004)

Krrish
Paycheck (2003)

Tathastu
John Q (2002)

Shaadi Se Pehle
Meri Biwi Ki Shaadi (1979)

Rang De Basanti
All My Sons (1948)

Zinda
Oldboy

Mr Ya Miss
Hot Chic (2002)

Sauda - The Deal
Indecent Proposal (1993)

Ek Ajnabee
Man On Fire (2004)

Chocolate
The Usual Suspects (1995)

Salaam Namaste
Nine Months (1995)

Main Aisa Hi Hoon
I Am Sam (2001)

Kyon Ki...
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Aabra Ka Dabra
Harry Potter (2001)

Dhoom
The Fast and the Furious (2001) &Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Hum Tum
When Harry Met Sally... (1989)

Murder
Unfaithful (2002)

Taarzan: The Wonder Car
Christine (1983)

Qayamat: City Under Threat
The Rock (1996)

Koi... Mil Gaya
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982), Forrest Gump (1994)

Aapko Pehle Bhi Kahin Dekha Hai Meet the Parents (2000)

3 Deewarein
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Kucch To Hai
I Know What you did Last Summer (1997)

Chor Machaaye Shor
Blue Streak (1999) & Hindi Movie Gol Maal (1979)

Awara Paagal Deewana
The Whole Nine Yards (2000)

Deewangee
Primal Fear (1996)

Kaante
Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Raaz
What Lies Beneath (2000)

Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai My Best Friends Wedding (1997)

Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai American Pie (1999)

Kuch Khatti Kuch Meethi
The Parent Trap (1998)
Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta
Liar Liar (1997)
Karobaar: The Business of Love
Indecent Proposal (1993)
Kartoos
Point of No Return (1993).
Baadshah
Nick Of Time, The Mask, Rush Hour, Mr. Nice Guy

Judwaa
The Twin Dragons.
Papi Gudia

Child's Play (1988).
Fareb
Unlawful Entry (1992)
Agni Sakshi
Sleeping with the Enemy (1991)
Daraar
Sleeping with the Enemy (1991
Akele Hum Akele Tum
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
Sauda
Indecent Proposal (1993)
Yaarana
Sleepng with the Enemy (1991)
Criminal
The Fugitive (1993)
Hum Hain Kamaal Ke
See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989).
Akayla
Cobra (1986).
Main Azaad Hoon
Meet John Doe (1941).
Maalamaal

Brewster's Millions (1985).

Janbaaz

Duel in the Sun (1946)
The Burning Train
Shinkansen Daibakuha (1975)

Fight Club – Fight Club
Akele Hum Akele Tum – Kramer vs Kramer
Paap – Witness
Zeher – Out of Time
Main Aisa Hi Hoon – I Am Sam
Heyy Babyy – Three Men and a Baby
Agneepath – Used a lot of references to Scarface
Road – The Hitcher
Dhamaal – Rat Race
Black – The Miracle Worker
Bade Miyan Chote Miyan – Some scenes inspired from Bad Boys
Salaam Namaste – Nine Months (1995)
Kyon Ki – One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
Kucch To Hai – I Know What you did Last Summer (1997)
Awara Paagal Deewana – The Whole Nine Yards (2000)
Deewangee – Primal Fear (1996)
Kartoos – Point of No Return (1993)
Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai – American Pie (1999)
Yaarana – Sleeping with the Enemy (1991)
Murder – Unfaithful (2002)
Krrish – Some part inspired from Paycheck
Dil lage – Sabrina
Mein Anari tu khiladi – The hard way
The Train – Derailed
Speed – Cellular
Malamaal Weekly – Waking Ned Divine
Ek Ajnabee – Man on Fire
The Killer – Collateral
Raaz – What Lies Beneath
Kaante – Reservoir Dogs
Chocolate – The Usual Suspects
Alag – Powder
Deewane Huye Paagal – There’s Something About Mary
Hum Tum – When Harry Met Sally /Before Sunset
Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai – My Best Friend’s Wedding
Aap Ki Khatir – The Wedding Date
Kyonki Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta – Liar Liar
Papi Gudia – Child’s Play
Zinda – Old Boy (Korean Movie, not Hollywood)
Main Hoon Na – Never Been Kissed
Dil Hai ki Manta nahi – It Happenned One night / Sure Thing
Ram Jaane – Angels with Dirty Face
Phir Hera Pheri – Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Taxi # 9211 – Changing Lanes
Aak Ruka Hua Faisala – 12 Angry men
sadak – taxi driver
darr – cape fear
takkar – unlawful entry (also see fareb)
Bachke Rehna Re Baba – Heartbreakers
Bunty aur Babli – Bonnie & Clyde
Kya Kool Hain Hum – The Monster
Maine Pyar kyun kiya – Cactus Flower
Yakeen – Shattered
Ghulam – On the waterfront
Aitbaar – Fear
Sholay – The seven samurai / magnificent seven
munnabhai mbbs – patch adms
ghajini – Memento
God father – inspired Sarkar and Sarkar Raj
Bruce Almighty – God Tussi Great ho
Kahi Pyar na Ho Jaye – The Wedding Singer
Life in a metro – the Apartment
u me aur hum – the notebook
love story 2050 – the time machine
Mr ya miss – Switch
sequel to partner – Wedding crashers
Omkara – othello
aitraaz – disclosure
Chori chori – house sitter
ek hasina thi – double jeporody
musafir – U turn
mujshe shaadi karogi – anger management
qayamat – the rock
kuch kuch hota hain – sleepless in seattle
chak de india – miracle on ice
jab we met – a walk in the clouds
race – bad lovers
andaz apna apna – dirty rotten squandrel
dhoom2 – payback
Naksha – The Rundown (2003) / Welcome to the Jungle
Tathastu – John Q
Shaadi Se Pehle – Meri Biwi Ki Shaadi
Rang De Basanti – All My Sons
Mr Ya Miss – Hot Chic
Sauda The Deal – Indecent Proposal
Aabra Ka Dabra – Harry Potter
Dhoom – The Fast and the Furious & Ocean’s Eleven
Taarzan: The Wonder Car – Christine
Koi Mil Gaya – E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Forrest Gump
Aapko Pehle Bhi Kahin Dekha Hai – Meet the Parents
3 Deewarein – The Shawshank Redemption
Chor Machaaye Shor – Blue Streak & Hindi Movie Gol Maal
Kuch Khatti Kuch Meethi – The Parent Trap
Karobaar: The Business of Love – Indecent Proposal
Baadshah – Nick Of Time, The Mask, Rush Hour, Mr. Nice Guy
Judwaa – Comedy of Errors/ The Twin Dragons.
Fareb – Unlawful Entry (also see takkar)
Agni Sakshi – Sleeping with the Enemy
Daraar – Sleeping with the Enemy
Criminal – The Fugitive
Hum Hain Kamaal Ke – See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Akayla – Cobra
Main Azaad Hoon – Meet John Doe
Maalamaal – Brewster’s Millions
Janbaaz – Duel in the Sun
The Burning Train – Shinkansen Daibakuha
Partner - Hitch
Bichhoo – Léon
Hum kaun hai – The Others
Bazigar – A kiss before dying
36 China Town – Once Upon a Crime
Jism – Body Heat
Raghu Romeo – Atame! (also known as Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down)
Dansh – Death and the Maiden
Sangharsh – Silence of the Lambs
Ek Din 24 Ghante – Lola Rennt (also known as Run Lola Run)
Gulzar’s classic Parichay – The Sound of Music
Josh – West Side Story
Dostana – I now pronounce you chuck and larry

Back
Top Bottom