What's new

Why These 3 Acquisitions are Critical for PAF:

elitepilot09

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Although the PAF has been making great strides as of late, there remain some sectors in which there must be an improvement before the end of the decade. Time and time again, we see wishlists on these forums; some of them are outrageous, and others incomprehensible. But in my opinion, there is a very strong need for 3 'game changing' acquisitions and developments which are completely attainable and not out of reach (in terms of budget, politics etc.).

1. The Original Option of 18 F-16 Block 52's

2gznw6P.jpg

PAF must exercise its option to acquire the 18 F-16 Block 52's which were part of the original deal a few years ago. Because US congress already approved them, it would not be a matter of 'if', but rather a matter of 'when'. Also, considering that PAF has ample munitions (500+ AMRAAM C-5's, JDAM kits etc.) which are only compatible with the F-16, it would be the best option as far as adaptability and logistics are concerned.

In addition, the F-16 blk52, with the right combination of armament and equipment such as the AN/ALQ-211 EW Suite and Sniper pod (both of which PAF has) - in my opinion - is the most deadliest platform in the subcontinent.

2. Changes of JF-17 Block 2

t7qx0dJ.png

On another note, before Pakistan keeps forcing the JF-17 down the throats of its potential customers, it should mature the platform and incorporate some of the basics which Air Forces around the world now look for.

As far as I'm concerned, PAF shed the light on the JF-17 too damn early. It should have only been introduced to defence exhibitions and major presentations around the world this year and once a good number of features which I have underlined above were implemented on to the aircraft. I have a very very strong feeling that these shortcomings are why China hasn't inducted this fighter in its fleet. The resume of this plane would have been much more convincing, powerful and dangerous once a super power had it actively deployed in its Air Force. Let's not forget that by successfully exporting this jet, both the air force, as well as the economy, have a lot to gain.

3. Long range SAM/Anti-ballistic missile defence.

7UgCo9q.jpg

While Pakistan employs a mix of Aspide-2000 and Crotale for air defence, PAF still does not have a long range surface to air missile platform. The viable option here is most probably the HQ-9/FD-2000, this system has also been selected recently by Turkey. Moreover, having such a capability can be a serious deterrent to any misadventures taken by the enemy.

Pakistan don't need to be in rush. There's no country in the world can dare Pakistan. It's too late since 1999. we are way more powerful than we can imagine. Our only problem is multiple enemies and weak government or politicians. If we get smart and brave leaders we are good to go. Tighten laws, control crupption, let forces take care of enemies, let governments to complete their terms, watch how quick you will be strongest and stable country in he world.

Pakistan don't need to be in rush. There's no country in the world can dare Pakistan. It's too late since 1999. we are way more powerful than we can imagine. Our only problem is multiple enemies and weak government or politicians. If we get smart and brave leaders we are good to go. Tighten laws, control crupption, let forces take care of enemies, let governments to complete their terms, watch how quick you will be strongest and stable country in he world.

Agree.... After Gen.Raheel, things have changed dramatically. But we have to be alert and updated when it comes to inventory.

Agree.... After Gen.Raheel, things have changed dramatically. But we have to be alert and updated when it comes to inventory.
Absolute agree with you that's why instead buying from different countries we should focus to develope our own weapons, devices...ect. Forget about what your enemies got. Develope new weapons that your enemies don't have. Your enemies are not fool. They not going to panic directly. So focus on new creation or developments. Let them worry about what you are going to creat. We need game changing strategies.

No one commenting has read the relevant post and responded appropriately. I would put the following up for discussion.
1. With the US looking to withdraw from Afghanistan and the period of approval for additional F16 having elapsed PAF would have to reapply to 0purchase the plane. The Congress in its current mood is unlikely to approve any further sales. We maybe able to pick up another couple of squadrons of 16s either from the US or from other sources but it is a situation of wait and watch. As before US approval would be required.
2. JFT Bl.2 is coming online. Changes are coming about as they are being tested and revalidated. However the pròcess takes time and PAC cannot be asked to hurry.
3. There have recently been some acquisitions from China. The forum is a buzz with whispers of Pakistan having acquired the HQ9. NO one will openly admit to their existance but the chances are we have the system. There are also moves to acquire the land based version of HQ16 with a view to replacinv the old Crotale based system. However at best all one can say is that this issue is a work in progress.
araz

Although the PAF has been making great strides as of late, there remain some sectors in which there must be an improvement before the end of the decade. Time and time again, we see wishlists on these forums; some of them are outrageous, and others incomprehensible. But in my opinion, there is a very strong need for 3 'game changing' acquisitions and developments which are completely attainable and not out of reach (in terms of budget, politics etc.).

2gznw6P.jpg

PAF must exercise its option to acquire the 18 F-16 Block 52's which were part of the original deal a few years ago. Because US congress already approved them, it would not be a matter of 'if', but rather a matter of 'when'. Also, considering that PAF has ample munitions (500+ AMRAAM C-5's, JDAM kits etc.) which are only compatible with the F-16, it would be the best option as far as adaptability and logistics are concerned.

In addition, the F-16 blk52, with the right combination of armament and equipment such as the AN/ALQ-211 EW Suite and Sniper pod (both of which PAF has) - in my opinion - is the most deadliest platform in the subcontinent.

t7qx0dJ.png

On another note, before Pakistan keeps forcing the JF-17 down the throats of its potential customers, it should mature the platform and incorporate some of the basics which Air Forces around the world now look for.

As far as I'm concerned, PAF shed the light on the JF-17 too damn early. It should have only been introduced to defence exhibitions and major presentations around the world this year and once a good number of features which I have underlined above were implemented on to the aircraft. I have a very very strong feeling that these shortcomings are why China hasn't inducted this fighter in its fleet. The resume of this plane would have been much more convincing, powerful and dangerous once a super power had it actively deployed in its Air Force. Let's not forget that by successfully exporting this jet, both the air force, as well as the economy, have a lot to gain.

7UgCo9q.jpg

While Pakistan employs a mix of Aspide-2000 and Crotale for air defence, PAF still does not have a long range surface to air missile platform. The viable option here is most probably the HQ-9/FD-2000, this system has also been selected recently by Turkey. Moreover, having such a capability can be a serious deterrent to any misadventures taken by the enemy.
1: in future we will. When, possibly soon
2: work is going on.
3: already got few batteries, will get more when time will be rught

1- Don't need F16 , no immediate need , we got few planes from Jordan and upgrading
2 - Block 2 is already being constructed so all is going according to schedule
3- Air defence batteries , this will improve over time

2gznw6P.jpg

t7qx0dJ.png

7UgCo9q.jpg

Well it should be 4 aqusitions at number four should be third option for 4.5th Generation Fighter Jet. With most likely option SU-35 or J-11 D or J-10 B.

I say we should have around 120 F-16 and atleast 3 or 4 squadrons doesn't matter of j-11D if possible ask for some equipments to be made in PAK aswell so we can reduce the cost and Last HQ-9 means advanced s300 we should get more of those as well.....

2gznw6P.jpg

t7qx0dJ.png

7UgCo9q.jpg

That's...actually pretty reasonable. God knows, there are so many fan boy lists on here.

However, I disagree on the acquisition of further f-16s. The money should be spent on developing the jf-17, with a portion of the funds being saved up for a next generation fighter.

PAF is no longer in a rush. With the Rafale deal close to falling apart, the PAF can take a lot longer to make an acquisition, one that I believe should be a part of a long term goal in mind (such as a next Gen fighter). Newer f-16s are going to be no match for IAF's ambitious (and very achievable) goals.

The Congress in its current mood is unlikely to approve any further sales.
Just show interest in J-31 and they will open up automatically as they did in case of helis.

@elitepilot09

Thank you for you post. All these three acquisition are extremely critical to the air force. The F 16 opportunity was available till recently last year. Paf must find anther 50---70 F16's pre-owned in good condition.

As for the JF 17----we might see some interesting update on the electronics on this aircraft----. Paf has decided that it the bread and butter of the air force and they will maximize its potential.

Their focus is on the aesa and possibly on the powerplant as well. The chinese aesa is available with a 1000 T / R modules---which is a very good number of modules for a radar that can fit this aircraft---the J 10 B otoh has an aesa with 1200 T / R modules---which would put in the capability of the Blk 60 F 16..

The other option is a aesa from the Italians---extremely potent aesa---with possibly a 270 deg view.

Now---with a potent aesa---if this aircraft gets an off bore sight missile launch capability---this aircraft will be the little monster----.

And as for SA LR batteries----there is no ifs and buts about it----the need is to cover 150---200 miles range and high altitude as well.

Combined arab forces has a larger fighter fleet than israel but lacked quick reaction sams in 1967. A preemptive strike became a decisive factor decimating their fleet. Same kind of protection is both necessary for airbases and nuclear assets mainly which would be the prime targets to reduce your fighting and deterrant capability. High altitude sams are necessary to prevent this kind of preemptive strike with the bonus of limited but improving anti ballistic missile capability and effective detection of ballistic missiles launched at you as an early warning for ballistic missile attack so you can strike back before they hit you. So it would prevent the preemption idea from coming to opposing forces minds.

Last edited:
The question really is, what exactly, the difference between a medium fighter like J-10b and JF-17?What sets JF-17 and J-10 apart?

Is it the range? Is it the avionics? Is it the weaponry? Is it the Radar? Is it the growth prospects? Is it low radar signature?

Compact range is more in JF-17, hence its not the point. Avionics could be identical, Weaponry is same, JF-17 can have the same radar of J-10 ...

So the what is that which makes J-10B stand apart from JF-17?

Is it stealth? If so JF-17 being smaller will have a definite edge.and extensive usage of composites will bring down the visibility on radars.

JF-17 is and will more of a Pakistani fighter than Chinese and the growth prospects of these fighter will be on parallel with the future of PAF .

If Mastan's wishlist is based on what India is buying or planning to buy, then that's because India's home grown program or an alternative to find jets apart from heavy to maintain Su-30s have been stuck deep in indecisive dramas and policy paralysis along with an absurd bargaining .

Ofcourse the next BIG purchase should be J-31s when its ready. Until then the focus should be solely on inducting and training the PAF into JF-17 specific force along with adding the fighter with all the goodies that China can offer and stop worrying about what other buy.

The only advantage between a Medium fighter must be a twin jet, but that's not an issue since J-10B is also a single engine fighter..

So be happy with the fighter you have.

It has immense growth potential , is cheaper and is apna (own).

JF-17 is not prepared considering the intensity of enemy threat, it is designed considering PAF doctrine... smart airforce?
JF-17 can knock out, most of Indian fleet e.g. mirages and migs. in all war scenarios.
While all the bombing missions of over glorified SU-27 of IAF, will be countered by SAMs.
India SU were humiliated in American Redflags and due to its sluggish maneuverability are considered as trucks in air.
Only advantage IAF have over PAF is numbers... and no one can change the fact that the probability of survival increase if the numbers are increased, here the trouble is IAF pilots, for which I'm willing to bet will refuse to fly in any Indo-Pak war scenario.

Just show interest in J-31 and they will open up automatically as they did in case of helis.
It is 5 to 7 yrs away from integration. We could play 5his game with the J10B however we must be vary that the Chinese partners are fully on board with the ploy or it might cause offence.Also we need to remember that the 16s assembly line will shut down at some stage.
Araz

Back
Top Bottom