What's new

Why the Afghan Taleban feel confident

From what I know, the Taliban did initially move to wards the eradication of the poppy crop, as well as act against the warlords, criminals and brigands that had made life hell for so many Afghans (Pashtun areas primarily). This contributed to support for them from the local populace. But it is also true that the Taliban consequently slid away from a lot of those ideals resulting in an upsurge in drug production (per UN figures). It was an extremely good source of revenue for them, and was also necessary to keep the local population pacified as they failed to deliver on "ending war" and "good governance" as it related to providing development and economic growth to the areas under their control.

Other way round. Initially the Taliban did not control drug production, but towards the end of their rule they started to stop drug production. To be honest, if I were an Afghani living in Afghanistan, I'd have welcomed them, given what the situation was like under Rabbani. But the Taliban made dumb mistakes.

It is a matter of convenience to see puppets everywhere, depending upon the flavour of the season! :)

The King of Afghanistan (pre-1980s) was not a puppet.

Najibullah was a puppet (you disagree the Soviets installed him?)

Rabbani was not a puppet.

Karzai however is a puppet (you think he'd have come to power if the 2001 invasion did not occur?)

As has been said earlier, since Karzai is not backed by Pakistan, he automatically is taken to be a puppet.

Understandable.

Other way round. Initially the Taliban did not control drug production, but towards the end of their rule they started to stop drug production. To be honest, if I were an Afghani living in Afghanistan, I'd have welcomed them, given what the situation was like under Rabbani. But the Taliban made dumb mistakes.

totally agree

That's not true. The Taliban commanders of today were the Mujahideen commanders of the 1980s. Even Mullah Omar is acknowledged to have been part of the Mujahideen.

I meant in an Ideological way, they are doing totally opposite of what they promised.

Karzai however is a puppet (you think he'd have come to power if the 2001 invasion did not occur?)
that pretty much proves he is a puppet. Odd enough, his family members live a few blocks away from me here is US. we've known them since i was a born:)
I've bought a corolla from them! over here, we stereotype all afghanies to be car dealers:lol:

Back
Top Bottom