What's new

Why the Afghan Taleban feel confident

yes, I am Pakistani,

I have meet many Afghani here, and 3 of them are best friends; guess what? All of them hate Taliban.

Thats weird all my afghan mates love the taliban.

Can you give some evidence that US is trying to denuclearize Pakistan & redraw it? And why will Taliban not allow RAW,BLA ?

Last time I heard was that they were working against pakistan

"denuclearize Pakistan"....have you not been reading the western press for the last couple of months?

"why will Taliban not allow RAW,BLA".....becauce when they where in power they did not allow india or the BLA to operate from there country in the open.

Your hating the Northern Alliance is nothing unusual.

They are after all not Pathans with whom you can find some similarity.

That much for RR's theory of Islam and it being one!

What's the big deal? They are also Moslems!

The ethnicity does count when the chips are down!

Therefore, it is my request that we face the reality and not spin bogus dreams!

Wow, you manage to come up with alot from a false assumption. I have nothing against the non-Pashtun elements of Afghanistan. I remember quite clearly that Pakistan actually supported many groups in the NA during the Soviet invasion. Ahmed Shah Masood recieved plenty of support from the Pak intelligence during the struggle against the Soviets.

My dislike of the NA has nothing to do with their ethnic makeup as you try so hard to portray it as. BUt of what they did post soviet withdrawal. THeir constant infigting and their pillaging, rape and destruction of Afghanistan forced Pakistan to support the Taliban, who seemed somewhat sane back then. Heck even the US gave them support at the time.

The article clearly points out the fact that the NA is the main cause of the resurgence of the Taliban. I think its time the US recognizes the fact and cleans house in Afghanistan, say instead of the placing unfair pressure on the Pakistani government.

Oh and please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

At the risk of sounding a little racist the other Afghani sects are not hated because of their culture. It's just that in Pakistan they are usually viewed upon as drugs smugglers and petty crooks.

On a strategic level, this government is providing militant support to India's RAW. Something that the Taliban wouldn't have done out of their own non-Muslim hating nature. It is beneficial to have actual Pashtu control rather than have an Americanized Pashtun fella in the center who does the bidding of the Hazaras and Uzbeks.

Taliban are passing through another phase of their struggle.

1st phase .Wage guerilla war and force NATO to call air strikes killing Innocents.There by winning their SYMPATHIES.

The same is happening in Pakistan now. The army should pinpoint the terrorists, if the PAF bombs the local people, all of them will turn against the military and that would be deadly to the moral of our Army which is already very low.

I feel sorry for Afghani people, they have been pawn in this game of power for the last 30 years. In the end its the Afghani people who are defeated, culturally, economically & socially.

Makes lot of sense. I agree with you. No good to have them as our neighbours.

"At the risk of sounding a little racist the other Afghani sects..."

Excusable by a moderator, perhaps, but dangerous nonetheless as it colors this arrogant perspective-

"It is beneficial to have actual Pashtu control rather than have an Americanized Pashtun fella..."

Racist against whom, may I ask, beside the Turkomen, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazaris, etc.? America too? Asim, does his accent bother you? "Actual Pashtu control", as though by any reasonable standard Karzai is not?

The issue, bluntly, is your dismay that there is no pashtu puppet running the Afghan gov't at your bidding.

That last group of pashtu puppets helped some guys kill three thousand civilians in a day.

Asim, the Taliban are knee-deep in opium.

Afghan Opium Production- Jane's Intelligence Review

"In recent Afghan history, opium poppy cultivation has been fairly regular, ranging from 54,000 to 80,000 hectares and depending mostly on climatic factors. As for the 91,000 and the 8,000 hectares harvested respectively in 1999 and 2001, yielding 4,581 and 185 tonnes of opium, they clearly stand out as statistical extremes and exceptions. However, while both occurred under the Taliban rule, only the second (185 tonnes/8,000 hectares) can be clearly attributed to a political decision, that of Taliban-imposed opium suppression, and not to economic or climatic factors. However, the Taliban prohibition has had consequences for today's production (quick restoration and, most likely, increase) that should be remembered before any other similar ban - enforced hastily and without compensative income available for the resource-poor - is planned.

Until 2000, Taliban policies were influenced by a combination of internal and external factors, many of which are still prevalent today. On the internal level, Afghanistan's socio-economic situation made, and still makes, opium production one of the only means of providing access to land, labour and credit for many of its farmers, most of whom are either tenants or sharecroppers. The Afghan peasantry's heavy dependence upon opium production, associated with politico-territorial realities of a tribal society with fragile political allegiances, prevented the Taliban from making any attempts at eradication during their few years in power. Abdul Rashid, the director of drug control for Kandahar province in 1997 said at the time that, at least without external aid, it was 'simply not possible to eradicate the poppy without alienating the farmers'. Nevertheless, the Taliban banned opium production in 2000, either to secure international support or, as some have speculated, to drive opium prices up to benefit from additional income. The move was unexpected and extremely successful, at least in the short term, as only 185 tonnes were harvested in 2001, much less than the 3,276 tonnes of 2000. Moreover, only 35 out of the overall 185 tonnes was effectively harvested across Taliban-held territory. The rest came from northern areas controlled by the United Front, notably from Badakhshan.

The 2002 restoration of opium production to pre-ban levels (3,400 tonnes) suggests that the Taliban prohibition was most likely politically and economically unsustainable without strong international aid. Factors in the micro-level economics of opium production in Afghanistan even suggest that the Taliban prohibition made the renewal of production at increased levels an imperative. Under the salaam loan system, Afghan peasants without capital traditionally borrow important sums or benefit from advances against takings: their opium crops are thus sold one or two years in advance at half the price of their value. This credit system, the only available in the country, keeps many farmers in debt at the same time as it makes their survival possible."

The taliban gov't presided in 1999 over the harvest of 4581 tons of opium. Cultivation wasn't banned until 2001 and this report suggests that it would have been unsustainable by the Taliban in any case.

Racist comments coupled with a weak case don't make for good discourse.:disagree:

Why not they feel confident they are the peoples who colepse One Super Power of the World, and unfortunatlly they are in the chance again to Colepse the remaining Super Power of the world... they are the breavist peoples to me on the Planet ... Dont you peoples agreed and they fight the wars of other on there Lands

"At the risk of sounding a little racist the other Afghani sects..."

Excusable by a moderator, perhaps, but dangerous nonetheless as it colors this arrogant perspective-

"It is beneficial to have actual Pashtu control rather than have an Americanized Pashtun fella..."

Racist against whom, may I ask, beside the Turkomen, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazaris, etc.? America too? Asim, does his accent bother you? "Actual Pashtu control", as though by any reasonable standard Karzai is not?

The issue, bluntly, is your dismay that there is no pashtu puppet running the Afghan gov't at your bidding.

That last group of pashtu puppets helped some guys kill three thousand civilians in a day.

Asim, the Taliban are knee-deep in opium.

Afghan Opium Production- Jane's Intelligence Review

"In recent Afghan history, opium poppy cultivation has been fairly regular, ranging from 54,000 to 80,000 hectares and depending mostly on climatic factors. As for the 91,000 and the 8,000 hectares harvested respectively in 1999 and 2001, yielding 4,581 and 185 tonnes of opium, they clearly stand out as statistical extremes and exceptions. However, while both occurred under the Taliban rule, only the second (185 tonnes/8,000 hectares) can be clearly attributed to a political decision, that of Taliban-imposed opium suppression, and not to economic or climatic factors. However, the Taliban prohibition has had consequences for today's production (quick restoration and, most likely, increase) that should be remembered before any other similar ban - enforced hastily and without compensative income available for the resource-poor - is planned.

Until 2000, Taliban policies were influenced by a combination of internal and external factors, many of which are still prevalent today. On the internal level, Afghanistan's socio-economic situation made, and still makes, opium production one of the only means of providing access to land, labour and credit for many of its farmers, most of whom are either tenants or sharecroppers. The Afghan peasantry's heavy dependence upon opium production, associated with politico-territorial realities of a tribal society with fragile political allegiances, prevented the Taliban from making any attempts at eradication during their few years in power. Abdul Rashid, the director of drug control for Kandahar province in 1997 said at the time that, at least without external aid, it was 'simply not possible to eradicate the poppy without alienating the farmers'. Nevertheless, the Taliban banned opium production in 2000, either to secure international support or, as some have speculated, to drive opium prices up to benefit from additional income. The move was unexpected and extremely successful, at least in the short term, as only 185 tonnes were harvested in 2001, much less than the 3,276 tonnes of 2000. Moreover, only 35 out of the overall 185 tonnes was effectively harvested across Taliban-held territory. The rest came from northern areas controlled by the United Front, notably from Badakhshan.

The 2002 restoration of opium production to pre-ban levels (3,400 tonnes) suggests that the Taliban prohibition was most likely politically and economically unsustainable without strong international aid. Factors in the micro-level economics of opium production in Afghanistan even suggest that the Taliban prohibition made the renewal of production at increased levels an imperative. Under the salaam loan system, Afghan peasants without capital traditionally borrow important sums or benefit from advances against takings: their opium crops are thus sold one or two years in advance at half the price of their value. This credit system, the only available in the country, keeps many farmers in debt at the same time as it makes their survival possible."

The taliban gov't presided in 1999 over the harvest of 4581 tons of opium. Cultivation wasn't banned until 2001 and this report suggests that it would have been unsustainable by the Taliban in any case.

Racist comments coupled with a weak case don't make for good discourse.:disagree:

The Taliban's ban on opium products has cost many people their livelihoods. But no one dares defy the ban.

Last year 2000 Afghanistan produced almost 4,000 tonnes of opium. This year's 2001 figure is zero.

Bernard Frahi of the UN Drug Control Program confirms those numbers. But now, he says, Afghanistan's farmers need help.
"Since they did something that is remarkable, and deserve respect by the international community, they deserve our respect and support to help their families," he said.

Taliban are not the same people who fought in 1980's for the freedom.

That's not true. The Taliban commanders of today were the Mujahideen commanders of the 1980s. Even Mullah Omar is acknowledged to have been part of the Mujahideen.

My theory of Islam? What are you on about? There's hardly a unified Ummah on any issue. You get Muslims just like in any other religion hating other people of the same religion.

Hey S-2 dont get me wrong, I'm as anti-Taliban as most. But I hate the Norther Alliance a lot more. I'm just trying to point out that NATO/US need to pick up their game.

They really need to reflect on whether their parternership with the Northern Alliance is really helping their cause. I dont think it is especially with the blatant corruption most of the NA like to take part in. Plus its obvious that most NA warlords are cheifs in the drug smuggling racket.

The idea that the Taliban are actually able to win "hearts and minds" in the country side and maintain law and order, something which the NA have failed at doing speaks volumes.

Maybe new tactics or strategies are in order?

Good post.

At the risk of sounding a little racist the other Afghani sects are not hated because of their culture. It's just that in Pakistan they are usually viewed upon as drugs smugglers and petty crooks.

On a strategic level, this government is providing militant support to India's RAW. Something that the Taliban wouldn't have done out of their own non-Muslim hating nature. It is beneficial to have actual Pashtu control rather than have an Americanized Pashtun fella in the center who does the bidding of the Hazaras and Uzbeks.

Correct imo

My dislike of the NA has nothing to do with their ethnic makeup as you try so hard to portray it as. BUt of what they did post soviet withdrawal. THeir constant infigting and their pillaging, rape and destruction of Afghanistan forced Pakistan to support the Taliban, who seemed somewhat sane back then. Heck even the US gave them support at the time.

The article clearly points out the fact that the NA is the main cause of the resurgence of the Taliban. I think its time the US recognizes the fact and cleans house in Afghanistan, say instead of the placing unfair pressure on the Pakistani government.

Oh and please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

That is the same as my opinion from what I know of the situation.

From what I know, the Taliban did initially move to wards the eradication of the poppy crop, as well as act against the warlords, criminals and brigands that had made life hell for so many Afghans (Pashtun areas primarily). This contributed to support for them from the local populace. But it is also true that the Taliban consequently slid away from a lot of those ideals resulting in an upsurge in drug production (per UN figures). It was an extremely good source of revenue for them, and was also necessary to keep the local population pacified as they failed to deliver on "ending war" and "good governance" as it related to providing development and economic growth to the areas under their control.

Back
Top Bottom