Reaction score
Country
Canada
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Why the Afghan Taleban feel confident

Why the Afghan Taleban feel confident
By David Loyn
BBC News

The Taleban in Wardak test-fired their weapons openly

In Afghanistan, the Taleban now claim to have influence across most of the country and have extended their area of control from their traditional heartland in the south.

They are able to operate freely even in Wardak Province, neighbouring the capital Kabul, as a BBC camera crew who filmed them recently found.

One of their commanders in Wardak, Mullah Hakmatullah, said they do not control the roads nor the towns, but they hold the countryside and have increasing support because of the corruption of the administration.

"The administration do not solve people's problems. People who go there with problems have to give a lot of money in bribes and then they gut stuck there," Mullah Hakmatullah said.

'Much better now'

Support from villagers is essential to their ability to continue operations through the winter months.

Local people said that they were willing to help the Taleban because they supported their brand of justice.

In one of the villages under their control, people willing to come forward and talk to the BBC said that security was much better now that the Taleban were there.

One of them, Gul Wazir, said that the Taleban were prepared to try to resolve small problems.

"Even if it's a minor thing, the Taleban will sort it out. Before (when the government of President Karzai was in control) it was not like that. They did not pay attention to us and the poor people were ignored."

The Taleban group showed off weapons, including a heavy machine gun they said they had captured from government forces.

They test-fired them in broad daylight, apparently not fearing retaliation from government nor international forces.

They were armed with AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

Nearby the burnt-out wreck of a government vehicle was left from a recent confrontation with Afghan national forces.

Orders from the south

The overall military commander of the Taleban in Wardak, Mullah Rashid Akhond, claimed to have 2,000 active fighters.

The fighters say locals support their brand of justice

He said that he was operating an administrative system with orders coming from Kandahar in the south, just like during the days of the Taleban government that fell in 2001.

He said that the Taleban were running their own courts. "People are taking their cases away from the government courts and coming to us. Now there is no robbery in our area."

Many of the suicide bombers who go to Kabul come from this area, just an hour's drive away. Mullah Akhond justified them, saying that most of the attacks are now carried out by Afghans themselves, not foreign fighters.

Six years ago the Taleban found it hard to recruit. They put their increasing success now down to official corruption, the slow pace of reconstruction and the presence of foreign troops.

'Unstable environment'

Speaking in London, the former Afghan Interior Minister Ali Ahmad Jalali said that the rise of the Taleban was caused by weakness in the central government.

Many of the suicide bombers who attack Kabul come from Wardak

"I think it is a major threat. What moves people is not ideology, but an unstable environment among the existing networks of clans, tribes, aggrieved people, drug traffickers, opportunists, and unemployed youth.

"It is the kind of problem that can be solved only with the establishment of good governance."

Mr Jalali is a potential presidential candidate in next year's election, as President Karzai faces increasing international pressure to deliver swift results.

But if anything, the battle for Afghanistan is harder now than it was after the Taleban were first forced out of power in Kabul.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like things are getting worse for NATO and the US in Afghanistan. The Northern Alliance seems to have lost support in the countryside and that does not bode well for their hold on power.

"Looks like things are getting worse for NATO and the US in Afghanistan."

Ummm...that true.

What surprises me is how ineffective the taliban have been at wresting control from the legally elected afghan gov't. As weak, corrupt, and unstable as it is, Afghanistan should hang low on the tree. Nothing is perfect. Elected gov't. improves over time if given the chance. Pakistan may one day discover this principle.

"The Northern Alliance seems to have lost support in the countryside and that does not bode well for their hold on power."

The president is pashtu. That explains their loss.:lol:

zpak, if you think that there'll be a return to 1996 in Kabul, you're crazy. It won't happen. The taliban are a social and cultural tragedy who serve as your useless fools so long as they stay pointed at Afghanistan.

Pray that they don't change their interest to Islamabad instead. Mehsud already has.

"The Northern Alliance seems to have lost support in the countryside and that does not bode well for their hold on power."

Please. Even the Afghans know that "the pashtu" is a puppet, why not you? You think the Soviet backed Najibullah (also "a pashtu") was not a puppet?

I thought it was an N.A. puppet problem? Now it's a pashtu puppet problem? Both?:lol::lol:

It is a matter of convenience to see puppets everywhere, depending upon the flavour of the season! :)

Taliban are passing through another phase of their struggle.

!st phase .Wage guerilla war and force NATO to call air strikes killing Innocents.There by winning their SYMPATHIES.

2 PHASE .Win sympathies and give justice to Locals.

3 phase By sympathies get control of TOWNS and ROADS to JAM every thing.

4 Phase get sophisticated weapons to dominate roads and to attack NATO bases and High alt Bombers.

NATO IS GONE.NATO has already LOST THE WAR.Their DEFEAT will soon come.

It is a matter of convenience to see puppets everywhere, depending upon the flavour of the season! :)

Ditto.

Taliban are passing through another phase of their struggle.

Taliban are not the same people who fought in 1980's for the freedom.

!st phase .Wage guerilla war and force NATO to call air strikes killing Innocents.There by winning their SYMPATHIES.

Do you think that exploding bomb in the busy market wins peoples hearts & minds?

2 PHASE .Win sympathies and give justice to Locals.

What justice are you talking about? like closing down the schools & taking away entertainment from these Afghani people who have endured war & hardship all their lives?

3 phase By sympathies get control of TOWNS and ROADS to JAM every thing.

4 Phase get sophisticated weapons to dominate roads and to attack NATO bases and High alt Bombers.

Even Pakistan is struggling to get high altitude SAMs, I doubt it if Taliban can even get a decent Anti tank missile.

NATO IS GONE.NATO has already LOST THE WAR.Their DEFEAT will soon come.

NATO has not lost yet, They will not spoon feed Afghani people all their life.
The financial cost is rising & this war is becoming unpopular in Washington.

The NATO can pack up and go home.

I feel sorry for Afghani people, they have been pawn in this game of power for the last 30 years. In the end its the Afghani people who are defeated, culturally, economically & socially.

Are you a PAKISTANI:pakistan:.I being a PAKISTANI am happy at TALIBANS success in AFGHANISTAN cuz it would give us strategic depth and THROW OUT the INDIANS out of Afghanistan and they would also not SHELTER BLA and Taliban would not allow RAW and others to CREATE TROUBLE in BALOCHISTAN.They would also THWART American plans to redraw map of PAKISTAN and denuclearize us. which is the future of PAKISTAN.Oh YOU ARE LIVING IN CANADA.Have U forgotten your own PM considering TROOP withdrawal.

Remember Balochistan is the future of Pakistan .If we get rid of BLA and their SUPPORTERS(NATO with help pf Taliban) then we can get 50 billion$ transit fee from Gwadar alone and exploit 27 billion barrels oil,250 trillion cubic feet gas and high amount of gold reserves

Are you a PAKISTANI:pakistan:.I being a PAKISTANI am happy at TALIBANS success in AFGHANISTAN cuz it would give us strategic depth and THROW OUT the INDIANS out of Afghanistan and they would also not SHELTER BLA and Taliban would not allow RAW and others to CREATE TROUBLE in BALOCHISTAN.They would also THWART American plans to redraw map of PAKISTAN and denuclearize us. which is the future of PAKISTAN.Oh YOU ARE LIVING IN CANADA.Have U forgotten your own PM considering TROOP withdrawal.

Remember Balochistan is the future of Pakistan .If we get rid of BLA and their SUPPORTERS(NATO with help pf Taliban) then we can get 50 billion$ transit fee from Gwadar alone and exploit 27 billion barrels oil,250 trillion cubic feet gas and high amount of gold reserves

yes, I am Pakistani,

I have meet many Afghani here, and 3 of them are best friends; guess what? All of them hate Taliban.

What you have stated above is a mere speculation & holds no water.

Can you give some evidence that US is trying to denuclearize Pakistan & redraw it? And why will Taliban not allow RAW,BLA ?

Last time I heard was that they were working against pakistan

I hope you understand Strategic depth for Paksitan.

Understand and then write.

"Looks like things are getting worse for NATO and the US in Afghanistan."

Ummm...that true.

What surprises me is how ineffective the taliban have been at wresting control from the legally elected afghan gov't. As weak, corrupt, and unstable as it is, Afghanistan should hang low on the tree. Nothing is perfect. Elected gov't. improves over time if given the chance. Pakistan may one day discover this principle.

zpak, if you think that there'll be a return to 1996 in Kabul, you're crazy. It won't happen. The taliban are a social and cultural tragedy who serve as your useless fools so long as they stay pointed at Afghanistan.

Pray that they don't change their interest to Islamabad instead. Mehsud already has.

Hey S-2 dont get me wrong, I'm as anti-Taliban as most. But I hate the Norther Alliance a lot more. I'm just trying to point out that NATO/US need to pick up their game.

They really need to reflect on whether their parternership with the Northern Alliance is really helping their cause. I dont think it is especially with the blatant corruption most of the NA like to take part in. Plus its obvious that most NA warlords are cheifs in the drug smuggling racket.

The idea that the Taliban are actually able to win "hearts and minds" in the country side and maintain law and order, something which the NA have failed at doing speaks volumes.

Maybe new tactics or strategies are in order?

Your hating the Northern Alliance is nothing unusual.

They are after all not Pathans with whom you can find some similarity.

That much for RR's theory of Islam and it being one!

What's the big deal? They are also Moslems!

The ethnicity does count when the chips are down!

Therefore, it is my request that we face the reality and not spin bogus dreams!

S-2;133773]"Looks like things are getting worse for NATO and the US in Afghanistan."

Ummm...that true.

So let me get this straight when Pakistan decide to help TAliban come to power They were dictators and bad for Afghanistan.but when uncle installed karzai its elected government.:what:
Hate to tell you mate but other then some parts of Kabul the so called elected government controls nothing so as far as i can see its the elected :rofl:government thats ineffective Americans may discover that one day.:usflag:

Iam not even going to touch rest of your ridiculous statement but we don't need to exploit any thing out of our own lands you twit.:angry:

Whats really pathetic is the support given to NATO by pakistani's who think they are better for pakistan, then the taliban in power in afghanistan.
The same fools where rejoicing at the fall of the taliban after the US attack and where convinced that was the last we would see of the taliban.....how wrong you where and how right was i.

Back
Top Bottom