What's new

Why Russia's President Is 'Putin the Great' in China

Chinese-Dragon

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
China
BEIJING—In the recommended-reading section of Beijing's Wangfujing bookstore, staff members have no doubt which foreign leader customers are most interested in: President Vladimir Putin, or "Putin the Great" as some Chinese call him.

Books on Mr. Putin have been flying off shelves since the crisis in Ukraine began, far outselling those on other world leaders, sales staff say. One book, "Putin Biography: He is Born for Russia," made the list of top 10 nonfiction best sellers at the Beijing News newspaper in September.

China's fascination with Mr. Putin is more than literary, marking a shift in the post-Cold War order and in Chinese politics. After decades of mutual suspicion—and one short border conflict—Beijing and Moscow are drawing closer as they simultaneously challenge the U.S.-led security architecture that has prevailed since the Soviet collapse, diplomats and analysts say.

A poll by In Touch Today, an online news service run by China's Tencent Holdings Ltd., put Mr. Putin's approval rating at 92% after Russia annexed Crimea in March.

"Putin's personality is impressive—as a man, as a leader. Chinese people find that attractive. He defends Russia's interests," says Zhao Huasheng, an expert on China-Russia relations at Shanghai's Fudan University. "Russia and China can learn a lot from each other."

It is partly realpolitik. Russia needs China's market and capital, especially as Western sanctions over Ukraine bite, the analysts say, while Beijing sees Moscow as a source of diplomatic support and vital energy resources.

"Putin and Xi Jinping are quite similar," says Yu Bin, an expert on China-Russia relations at Wittenberg University in Ohio. The leaders are from the same generation—they are both 61—and both want to re-establish their countries as world powers and challenge Western dominance following periods of perceived national humiliation.

Mr. Xi came to power two years ago succeeding Hu Jintao, whom party insiders saw as an uncharismatic leader unable to inspire popular support or defend China's national interests. "I think China, after 10 years of Hu Jintao, started to look for a strong leader," says Mr. Yu. "In that context, the Chinese leadership does look to Putin. There's a parallel experience."

Mr. Xi has since made his relationship with Mr. Putin a priority. He chose Russia for his first foreign visit as Chinese president and was one of the few world leaders to attend the Sochi Winter Olympics. Mr. Xi has met Mr. Putin nine times since taking office, most recently at a Central Asian security forum in Tajikistan last month.

"I have the impression we always treat each other as friends, with full and open hearts," Mr. Xi told Mr. Putin in Moscow last year, according to an official Kremlin transcript. "We are similar in character."

He told Russian students later that China and Russia were both going through "an important period of national rejuvenation" and had "the best great-power relationship" in the world.

Why Russia's President Is 'Putin the Great' in China - WSJ

---------------------------
http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-russias-president-is-putin-the-great-in-china-1412217002

@vostok, @senheiser

I think it is a very important point that Xi Jinping chose Russia as his first destination after he came to power. That was long before the current crisis in relations between Russia and the US as well.

Putin - the personification of the winds of change, hope for the non-Orwellian future of humanity. Putin - a leader of the planetary revolt against Western tyranny.
The world got a chance to unite traditions and cultures, rather than postmodern's total assimilation.

Putin - the personification of the winds of change, hope for the non-Orwellian future of humanity. Putin - a leader of the planetary revolt against Western tyranny.
The world got a chance to unite traditions and cultures, rather than postmodern's total assimilation.

Putin is a great leader, you guys are lucky. :tup:

What do you think of Xi Jinping by the way? I think it's true what Xi Jinping said, that he and Putin are similar in character.

I think Xi Jinping will restore China's national pride, just like Putin did for Russia.

Putin is a great leader, you guys are lucky. :tup:

What do you think of Xi Jinping by the way? I think it's true what Xi Jinping said, that he and Putin are similar in character.

I think Xi Jinping will restore China's national pride, just like Putin did for Russia.
I think you're right. Every Chinese will be proud to say: "I am Chinese."
I think Xi is strong enough to become a partner of Putin in scrapping the old Western world order and building new one.

I think you're right. Every Chinese will be proud to say: "I am Chinese."
I think Xi is strong enough to become a partner of Putin in scrapping the old Western world order and building new one.

I agree with you. :cheers:

Check out this article too:

------------------------

Why Xi Jinping Is China’s Putin | The Diplomat

"Recently an American friend saw my article on Gorbachev and asked me who I think Xi Jinping is more like, Gorbachev or Yeltsin? My answer? Neither. Xi is more like Putin.

Xi Jinping chose Russia as the destination of his first visit abroad after assuming office as the president of China. Over the past year, Xi has met with Putin many times, more than he has met with any other world leader. This has been interpreted as China prioritizing “good neighbor” diplomatic relations, or as China and Russia trying to join together to confront the U.S. However, most political and media analysts overlooked an anecdote from last March, when Xi paid a visit to Russia. Russian media reported a conversation in which Xi told Putin,“I feel that our personalities are quite similar.” Official Chinese media also picked up this piece of news, which we can take as an indication that Xi actually did say this.

This remark seems a bit abrupt. It doesn’t really fit with Chinese leaders’ customary diplomacy. Talking about someone’s “personality” is generally a private topic, both in the East and the West. Such a remark is not like the easy diplomatic clichés: “our countries are separated only by a narrow strip of water,” or “we share the same historical traditions and cultural background”. Even among Western officials, who tend to have more casual exchanges, we rarely hear leaders bring up their own personalities. Even though Xi has been unconventional in his speeches since assuming office, his remarks about sharing a similar personality with Putin was remarkable enough to catch my attention.

To become the top leader of a country usually requires a unique personality, and Putin might be one of the most unique leaders out there. His personality has puzzled and perplexed most westerners, but Xi obviously admires Putin. Why else would he say that the two men have similar personalities?"

No one there to be with china so suddenly PUTIN KI JAI HO all over china. well will putin help china in war against india? Would love to see....

No one there to be with china so suddenly PUTIN KI JAI HO all over china. well will putin help china in war against india? Would love to see....

lool what do you mean by Putin helping China in war against India?:o: There will never be a war between 2 nuclear armed country, maybe little border skirmishes and thats it.. Moreover i dont think neither of the 2 country need any help from a foreign power in the event of war.

Coming back to topic, Putin has established a cult personality and has absolute power in Russia similar to Stalin. This isnt good for a country since in the event he falls sick or something happens to him, the country might become unstable due to political fights for succession/vacuum this will create. A one man country is never good, just like what Kadaffi did in Lybia, ro saddam in Iraq, When you are nomore there, it will be difficult for a smooth transition to take place.

Russia has to eastablish a strong counter power institutions which limits power of the president and which can challenge a person's authority and prevent him from doing whatever he wants(like swiwtching a puppet prime minster to president, only to come back as president the next term.lol this is making a joke of others.lol) . In this regard i will say India and even the communist authoritarian Chinese have a better system than Russia, since they both have a system that garantess no one person acquires absolute power as he has to rely on his party support and cant stand more than 2 terms no matter how he tries.

Finally, Putin thinks hes strong, but going head on against the west/U.S will only spell trouble for Russia(it has already affects its growth prospect/GDP growth fell drastically), India and China are smart not to go on head against us just yet, since they are still not strong enough, they still need more time. For they know we still control/dominate the world for now in every aspect.:cheers: Russia is in a hurry to reassert itself, in doing so, it has attracted our attention(which hitherto will have directed to other emerging powers in Asia) and will be dealt with appropriately.

Russia should not be bothered with UK, UK is pretty much irrelevant nowadays.

China can't match Russia's deterrent power against America.

Russia holds Western Europe hostage. It can turn off the oil and gas, and freeze Western Europe to death.

China doesn't hold any such (non-military) cards.

Russia-China getting closer is the beginning of the end of the Western dominance.

Russia and China as a united power has all it needs to check genocidal Western murderers.

Russia has energy, metals, space technology, military technology, etc.
China has massive market, capital, manufacturing, civilian technology, deep and liquid capital markets, etc

Both countries should accelerate the use of their currencies.

Both countries need to kick out Western NGO's.

The biggest mistake the barbaric Western regimes made was to make the Russia-China relationship as close as it is. They are the 2 countries that can provide alternatives to Western monopolies.

China can't match Russia's deterrent power against America.

Russia holds Western Europe hostage. It can turn off the oil and gas, and freeze Western Europe to death.

China doesn't hold any such (non-military) cards.

You are right.

Though we do have deterrent power in our region. For example, see our seizure of the Scarborough shoal in 2012, despite the Philippines having a "mutual defence treaty" with America. Compare that to Russia's annexation of the Crimea in 2014, despite America having promised to protect Ukraine's territorial integrity in exchange for them giving up nukes.

One of the big problems China has right now is that we import a lot of natural resources, that's where Russia has a big advantage since they are not vulnerable in this area.

However the truth is that China is VERY rich in terms of natural resources. For example, we have the largest Shale Gas reserves in the world (enough to last thousands of years) as well as borderline monopolies on the extraction/production of various important raw materials (rare earths are the ones that come up on the news but there are many others).

We also have a tremendous amount of potential renewable energy, a joint research report between Tsinghua and Harvard Universities estimated that wind power alone could fulfill all of China's energy needs by 2030. Sure maybe it is not realistic to use only wind power, but the point is the potential is there.

If we can supplement this with our massive Shale gas and oil reserves, not to mention a vastly expanded pipeline network to Russia and Central Asia (we have pipelines but not enough) then we can "buy" ourselves the kind of strategic freedom that Russia has right now.

Russia being a partner for us is quite vital in these plans. Not just in terms of resources, but more so in terms of the diplomatic and military aspects of our future development. Russia is after all a former superpower, and we are still a developing country, we still have a lot to learn from them.

China's energy needs

That's a very good point.

With the advances in energy technologies, the larger countries will become less hostage to energy blackmail. The politics of energy sanctions may become obsolete and it would be interesting to see what takes their place in international arm-twisting.

That's a very good point.

With the advances in energy technologies, the larger countries will become less hostage to energy blackmail. The politics of energy sanctions may become obsolete and it would be interesting to see what takes their place in international arm-twisting.

Currency too.

There is a huge initative right now, especially in China and Russia to start internationalizing the Yuan and the Ruble, to have a payment system that is not dominated by the US (Russia wants to use China UnionPay instead of Visa/Mastercard), and to have an alternative to organizations like SWIFT.

It will take around 10-20 years before we reach a "decent" level of comprehensive national power in world politics (based on hard power like economy/military), which would be more commensurate with our position as the number one most populated country in the world. And even then, that will only be the beginning.

The Chinese Mainland certainly has the potential to reach the per capita levels of HK, Singapore, Macau, etc. Just meet some of their students to see, they are amongst the most dedicated and hardworking people I have met.

All this middle east conflict is about the West wanting its companies to profit and to control the energy supplies to China which the West views as its number 1 long term challenge.

Back
Top Bottom