What's new

Why Pak Didn't Opted for J-10 Aircraft.

Sunny4pak

BANNED
Reaction score

The J-10 (Jian 10 or Fighter 10) is China’s indigenously built multirole fighter aircraft developed by the Chengdu Aircraft Industry. Chengdu Aircraft Industry is part of the China Aviation Industry Corporation I (AVIC I). In the West, the J-10 aircraft is known as the Vigorous Dragon.

It is estimated that up to 300 J-10 fighter aircraft will be manufactured. China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) includes the army, navy, air force and strategic rocket force

Pakistan Air Force has shown interest in the Jet back in 2006. However, as of 2012 PAF dropped J10 Option, instead shifted its focus on JF-17 Thunder Advancement & Upgrades.

J10 having three variants (i.e. J10A, J10B & J10C) Previous two variants production is taken by the latest variant.

J10 is considered to be a multirole Fighter Jet with A2A & A2G roles. With the stated speed of Mach 2.2 it has 11 hardpoints to house following weapons in different configurations;

Air-to-air missiles:

Air-to-surface missiles:
  • Laser-guided bombs: (LT-2)
  • Glide bombs: (LS-6, GB3, GB2A, GB3A)
  • Satellite-guided bombs: (FT-1)
  • Unguided bombs: 250 kg, 500 kg

Externally mounted avionics pods:

Last edited:
dear member
please give an English sumnary
for the benefit of our non Urdu speaking readers.

Background
milestones
variants
specifications
role
payload

components, their origin

Pakistan's review/ evaluation
results of evaluation
reasons for dropping in bullet points

Debated countless times. Anyways, I am still in the camp that believes J-10 should have flown with the crescent.
The reason is the focus behind its continuous improvement is directly maintained by PLAAF itself.

But for financial constraints PAF chose JFT. Still, wont be a bad idea to have J10C though in minimal numbers.

Debated countless times. Anyways, I am still in the camp that believes J-10 should have flown with the crescent.
The reason is the focus behind its continuous improvement is directly maintained by PLAAF itself.

But for financial constraints PAF chose JFT. Still, wont be a bad idea to have J10C though in minimal numbers.

The J-10 could have formed the proper Medium-Heavy Weight Fighter category for PAF; and onto of that syncing with JF-17 in a net centric environment would have been perfect. On top of that the payload capacity of the plane was perfect for PAF situation as well.

If Pakistan had a better economy all PAF fanboys wild fantasies such as Mirage-2000 J-10C Grippen (when Pakistan had a chance back in 2000s) would have been possible.
hmmm ... I don't know about 'strong economy.

If Pakistan simply had oil/gas like the GCC and Iran, then it would've imported nice weapons from the West.

But if Pakistan had a sound economy (structurally speaking), then would it have needed to import weapons? For us to have a good economy without oil/gas, we would've done well in manufacturing, technology R&D, etc. If anything, if we had a good economy, we would've had JF-17 Block-III in 2010, and would've seen AZM fly in 2020.

@Chak Bamu @Syed1.

Pakistan never rejected J-10 from the very start Pakistan had J-10c with Chinese engine in sight.

Why j-10 was not opted because at that moment we had F-16 and Mirage which were fulfilling short term gap very successfully.

Pakistan then opted for JF-17 as Pakistan needed a work horse for the replacement of J-7 and the jet was needed in huge numbers so nothing was available at price which could out weight Jf17.

Mistake which people commonly make is that they compare Jf17 with J-10. What you need to understand is both are in different class of air crafts and fulfill different roles.

J-10C is not rejected but still an option on the table which will be used if there is a need to bridge the short term gap.

hmmm ... I don't know about 'strong economy.

If Pakistan simply had oil/gas like the GCC and Iran, then it would've imported nice weapons from the West.

But if Pakistan had a sound economy (structurally speaking), then would it have needed to import weapons? For us to have a good economy without oil/gas, we would've done well in manufacturing, technology R&D, etc. If anything, if we had a good economy, we would've had JF-17 Block-III in 2010, and would've seen AZM fly in 2020.

@Chak Bamu @Syed1.

Hi,

You are too smart to bring in " funds "---but I guess I have to get my daily surprise.

Where did the money come of 8 submarines---how about 4 type 054's---???

Discussed since this forum started and there are countless threads on the matter.
Two main reasons.
Zardari didn't release the money to PAF for them the contribute the agreed amount in R&D of J-10 program.
China's own failure to mass produce a reliable jet engine.

Well as per my memory, Pakistan was set to purchase around 70 F16s during the Musharraf era, order was later reduced to 36 due the funds being diverted to the earthquake relief( perhaps one of the greatest frauds in pak history). We had the US approval as well as the funds to purchase them.

However in the end we didn’t opt of j10s because we had f16s available. Also, at the time j10a was the only available model. So f16cs was obviously the superior choice.

If Pakistan had a better economy all PAF fanboys wild fantasies such as Mirage-2000 J-10C Grippen (when Pakistan had a chance back in 2000s) would have been possible.

Well, not going in to the past, but recent skirmishes after decades have proven one thing, India had mirage 2000s on 27th Feb 19. Didn't pay any dividends to IAF. So we better let the ghost of the past to rest.

I am all for JF 17, even compared to J 10 C. JF 17 has given Pakistan capacity to work on latest development, which would pay huge dividend in the future. There is nothing better to learn and do the job yourself.

Back
Top Bottom