What's new

Why not an indigenous Pakistani jet engine?

Developereo

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
What is stopping Pakistan from building an indigenous jet engine?

The basic design is well known and I assume we can manufacture the requisite materials, so, other than patents, what is stopping us from developing/copying one ourselves?

I assume we have been servicing our military aircraft all these years, so we have some operational facilities also.

I am not being facetious. Clearly I am not a rocket scientist so I am quite curious what are the major hurdles.

Producing jet engine is the most difficult task from what i've heard.Even harder then missiles.

It is impossible given Pakistan's current development level to manufacture an engine. Even China, light years ahead of us is struggling to make an indigenous engine, I dont think it is possible and unnecessary.
Araz

Jet engine is first foremost and most difficult part of jet making, Engine's are no jokes, uptil now only Russians & Americans and Europeans r masters of this field, we can already see the miserable failure of Kaveri engine and we can also see the way Chinese with all their money pouring into R&D are still struggling for making good engines

Jet engine is first foremost and most difficult part of jet making, Engine's are no jokes, uptil now only Russians & Americans and Europeans r masters of this field, we can already see the miserable failure of Kaveri engine and we can also see the way Chinese with all their money pouring into R&D are still struggling for making good engines

Clearing some misconceptions, Neither Kaveri is the single project ever done by India nor a failure. "GTX37-14U" is the first ever turbofan produced in India with 44.5kn dry and 64.3kn full reheat in 1977. Followed by "GTX37-14UB", which had a maximum thrust of 88.9kn with a larger frontal area. The original LCA intended turbofan was "GTX-35" with five stage HP compressor. But with higher fuel consumption due to higher reheat levels leads to advanced version of Kaveri, originally designated as "GTX-35VS" with six stage compressor stages and FADEC. So far Kaveri has achieved 4774 kgf of dry and 7000 kgf of reheat (shortfall of 20% IAF requirement). Until now more than 20 engines are produced and flight testings are going on.

In the area of aero engines China is far better league than of India. Started with basics and will mature very soon.

What is stopping Pakistan from building an indigenous jet engine?

The basic design is well known and I assume we can manufacture the requisite materials, so, other than patents, what is stopping us from developing/copying one ourselves?

I assume we have been servicing our military aircraft all these years, so we have some operational facilities also.

I am not being facetious. Clearly I am not a rocket scientist so I am quite curious what are the major hurdles.

Diffrence between the rest of the world and us if they want it they will work on it till they get what they want.

we will prefer to just buy it from them and come up with every excuse in the book to justify it.

So what you are saying is Americans Russians And europeans Are Born with that information and there is just no way for REST to build it.

No one and i mean No one can learn to swim unless they jump in water first

Diffrence between the rest of the world and us if they want it they will work on it till they get what they want.

we will prefer to just buy it from them and come up with every excuse in the book to justify it.

Do you think you could contribute to this development somehow? If it is going to take 10 years, it would take 10 years if we start after another 5 years or start right now. So lets take the first step today. Pakistan is blessed with one of the best brains of the world so lets engage them. I have platform which enthusiasts can use to collaborate online and I would offer it for free. SO?

^^^ Here is the first step. Go to any Pakistani missile storage station. Pick a Babur cruise missile and open it up.

I think we are very new in the field of jet manufacturing, at the moment we should only concentrate on the technology and upcoming in new generation jets.

Developing jet engine is not that easy as the engine of Car, Bike, buses etc

I think Pakistan should work on automobile industry rather then manufacturing jet engine. We still import bike, car and buses engine. First step is to develop these things in Pakistan which are comparatively easier. Meanwhile we can become expert in manufacturing or assembling jets and can think about Jet engine manufacturing.

We are already in Jet Manufacturing and few years down the road we will get mature in this field. By that time we may require our own engine to minimize reliance on foreign technology and expense on the Jet and maximize Profits and Exports.
I think we should start investing lightly in R&D for Jet Manufacturing.

Little to disagree with there - we can begin by doing R&D for making parts, building the technical and manufacturing base, then moving on to sections.

It's unfair to ourselves by saying that only X, Y or Z CAN build - anyone willing CAN - we owe it to ourselves, our ultimate goal is to be able to be the primary suppliers to our defence.

Yes, and we need minimum deterance.We don't have billions for R&D.Unlike India, we can only work on projects which can become sucessful because Pakistan has to get the best out of it's money.

Well, as far as money goes, we need a smooth talker who can charm some of those petro$$$ off the Arabs to fund an 'Islamic' technology base, immune to Western blackmail.

We (and other Muslim countries) can provide the brains. We just need the $$$.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom