What's new

Why no Pakistani helicopter manufacturing/assembling program?

Dear,

Pakistan operates a very small Chopper Fleet, with ~40 Attack (AH-1 Cobra) , 60~80 Medium Transport (Mi17,Bell412,Puma), 20~30 Small Transport (Aluette/Lama,Fennec), and ~20 Marine. This small requirement does not warrant an economically viable Helicopter development program, since you need to produce at-least 150~200 articles to get break even.

Many defense programs like F22 and B2 have been financial burden on US economy since the 750+ F22 mark and 60+ B2 mark were not reached. The development cost of these programs was around 60 Billion USD each just for R&D.

Pakistan cannot afford to invest 200~500 Million USD on an R&D effort just to produce 30~40 articles of a single type.

Its much much cheaper to buy them off the shelf for the time being.

Regards,
Sapper

Pakistan has a Small Economy, It cannot Afford to Go for R&D. And Its always Wise enough to Purchase until everything settles Down, Need High Level of Infrastructure to Go ahead with R&D, At this Point of time, Pakistan is not capable enough for it....

Pakistan has a Small Economy, It cannot Afford to Go for R&D. And Its always Wise enough to Purchase until everything settles Down, Need High Level of Infrastructure to Go ahead with R&D, At this Point of time, Pakistan is not capable enough for it....

Nice view...you are absolutely right.... :pakistan: SHIKA KUCH!!!

Emotions par na jao apni akal ladao.

we have huge budget constrains.. nor our defense experts are interested in this our sole focus is on thunder now.. once we get with thunder i think pakistan will do some thing to solve this problem as well.

Dear,

Capability and Financial Viability are two different things.

Pakistan CAN make a heli ... we choose not to because the R&D will not be financially viable.

Example 1:
India has a HUGE economy, then why is India not making its own Aircraft Carrier and instead buying/leasing it from Russia. Its because India just needs one, and its not best idea to go through the entire R&D effort just to produce a single article.

Example 2:
I can buy groceries and bake a birthday cake in my house, do a little R&D and bake 100's of different variations of the same chocolate cake and settle on a single precise formula for a cake for my friend's birthday party. It would have been lot easier and better if I had just bought the cake from a professional bakery.

Its not the capability, rather financial viability.

Regards,
Sapper

Dear,

Capability and Financial Viability are two different things.

No Dear,these two are Co-Related

Pakistan CAN make a heli ... we choose not to because the R&D will not be financially viable.

Thats the same What I said, And More over, you need better Infrastructures in every point of time When the research achieves its peak

Example 1:
India has a HUGE economy, then why is India not making its own Aircraft Carrier and instead buying/leasing it from Russia. Its because India just needs one, and its not best idea to go through the entire R&D effort just to produce a single article.

India is making Its Aircraft carrier(IAC,project71)
India is making 3 of these Aircraft carriers, Apart from this India also Is buying Aircraft carriers from Russia.... Why not?? India got the capacity

Example 2:
I can buy groceries and bake a birthday cake in my house, do a little R&D and bake 100's of different variations of the same chocolate cake and settle on a single precise formula for a cake for my friend's birthday party. It would have been lot easier and better if I had just bought the cake from a professional bakery.

This is where we both have two different Mentalities, We are productive, We not only do a cake but also try to earn the money spent for building that cake and a profitable amount too.... Where as You are only concerned about giving money but not Having both money and product in Your hands.

You cannot Say that, India Explored space when our economy was fragile,in 1960's we had an aspiration to grow.... even after fighting wars, we have been Buying and researching Our Stuffs

Regards,
Sapper

Regards
LCA Tejas

Last edited:
No Dear,these two are Co-Related

This is where we both have two different Mentalities, We are productive, We not only do a cake but also try to earn the money spent for building that cake and a profitable amount too.... Where as You are only concerned about giving money but not Having both money and product in Your hands.

Regards
LCA Tejas

Thanks dear,

Whats the make/origin of the computer and its OS you are using ?? That should help answer your question.

Regards,
Sapper

Thanks dear,

Whats the make/origin of the computer and its OS you are using ?? That should help answer your question.

Regards,
Sapper

My Laptop Is (HCL) Hindustan computers Limited, and My Operating system is Bharat Operating System(BOS)

And My Question for you is still Pending, Hope You answer it for me..
Regards
LCA tejas

Well if we now invest 500 Million of indegenous attack helicopter program rather then buying any eurocopter or any other attack heli

then we can export this attack helli to many countries like
malaysia,UAE,saudi arabia,azerbaijaan,sudan,egypt and many other countries affter a decade we can get 500Million frm the export profit

Well if we now invest 500 Million of indegenous attack helicopter program rather then buying any eurocopter or any other attack heli

malaysia,UAE,saudi arabia,azerbaijaan,sudan,egypt and many other countries affter a decade we can get 500Million frm the export profit

Can Pakistan afford to Put 500million in R&D now?? Especially When the Economy is a bit fragile,When having War on terrorism, And at the most when Your neighbour is Piling up the Arms.......A Joint venture is the Most profitable area where Pakistan needs to concentrate Upon

HERE...is my zaid hamid..
I like your confidence...

Can Pakistan afford to Put 500million in R&D now?? Especially When the Economy is a bit fragile,When having War on terrorism, And at the most when Your neighbour is Piling up the Arms.......A Joint venture is the Most profitable area where Pakistan needs to concentrate Upon

No Pakistan cant now afford.and ther is no partner for JV..china has its own indegenous attack heli program and turkey also..

bt if we our economy grow by 4.5% next year and again 5.5% next year then i think pakistan can put 500Million for R&D for attack heli..
nt now bt in 2012 .
i heard pakistan is already buying 20-25 eurocopter and only 0n3 eurocopter cost 31Milion.means 600 Million
so its better to invest them in R&D.if nt eurocopter then pak will buy chineese attack heli or turkey when they are ready..
so i was just giving an idea

No Pakistan cant now afford.and ther is no partner for JV..china has its own indegenous attack heli program and turkey also..

bt if we our economy grow by 4.5% next year and again 5.5% next year then i think pakistan can put 500Million for R&D for attack heli..
nt now bt in 2012 .
i heard pakistan is already buying 20-25 eurocopter and only 0n3 eurocopter cost 31Milion.means 600 Million
so its better to invest them in R&D.if nt eurocopter then pak will buy chineese attack heli or turkey when they are ready..
so i was just giving an idea

It makes sense sir, but before Launching such Initiative, Its always Advisable to take help from those experienced in this, Just Like India did, while making ALH dhruv, After that India carried on LCH with its own platform and rejected the help of other companies in our next project LUH and Medium Lift helicopter which is underway...

In my view, structural dynamics and aeroelasticity as well metallurgy involved in the tilt- rotar and tilt wing are far more complex in rotary wing aircraft as compared to fixed wing aircrafts. That is why while fixed wing aircraft were already in large scale production from 1920’s, helicopters and gyros only came on their own after WW2.

Also due to having much larger number moving parts, any modern helicopter is less safe than any modern aircraft.

Don’t think $500-million would be sufficient to design and build a brand new helicopter ab initio. The money would be better spent on research for upgrading the JF-17.

It would be much cheaper to produce a simple light helo such as Aloutte under licence to gain experience and take it from there. Just as we did with Mashaaq.

Back
Top Bottom