What's new

Why isn't bhangra and giddha practised in pakistan's punjab?

I've traveled the length and breadth of Pakistani Punjab and I've never seen this kind of dance being done anywhere

Culture does evolves , Bhangra as formalized in the videos posted above has been done mostly by UK resident Sikhs

This form is not really done in most parts of Punjab , be it it in india or Pakistan
you are totally wrong with this assumption @dev_moh said....bhangra is very famous and almost all punjabi kids have tried to do it...heck even i have done 4 performances in group/solo bhangra..and was once leaned it with classic dhol(it is used to create beat by coach)

upload_2016-8-29_5-30-38.jpeg

btw those who dont know..gidda is female version of bhangra

One question, Does anyone use Written Punjabi Language in Pakistan ?
Panjabi is written in Shahmukhi script in Pak like in the old times of bulley shah,Waris Shah and even the sikh court.

Our Punjabi uses the Nastaliq script. Urdu has been inserted deeply in our roots that no regional language is written anywhere. Only Urdu and English are written in Pakistan. Only sindhi is written differently to Urdu.

Sindhi,Pashto,Balochi etc all uses similar scripts .. And can be read by Urdu speakers.

Our Punjabi uses the Nastaliq script. Urdu has been inserted deeply in our roots that no regional language is written anywhere. Only Urdu and English are written in Pakistan. Only sindhi is written differently to Urdu.

Its same alphabet used by sufi punjabi poets long before urdu. If anyone can read/write urdu then he can read/write punjabi as well or anyother native Pakistani language like pashto, balochi or Sindhi. But obviously if he's native speaker of these languages to begin with.

Bhangra originated from sialkot, so it would be weird if they don't do it there.
sialkot is my nanka :D
Yes we do have bhangra at weddings at the beat of the dhol and when celebrating any event :D

Just check all election celebrations in Pakistan bhangra at the end i a must :p:
But We dont do mix gender bhangra like in India

Proper Bhangra is very coordinated.
Nothing ritual about it. Its just folk dance.

Gidha is performed by the girls, where they sing Folk songs and dance taking turns.

That freestyle thing happens in marriges or parties after getting drunk:p:

Thats Bhangra.

Thats Gidhaa

So, is it Punjabi written in urdu or different alphabets are used ?
Ithey inj Punjabi ikhi jeondi ey
اتھے پنجابی انج لکھی جاوندی اے

So, is it Punjabi written in urdu or different alphabets are used ?
well basically like Urdu it is written in Nastalique alphabets,
there is a newspaper in Lahore published by Khabrain group with the name
Khabran in Punjabi

You are not Pakistani, change your flag or stop asking retarded questions about Pakistan.

Now on topic, Bhangra is dance of mirasis and is looked down upon by izzat dar people in west punjab. So it's not as popular apart from maybe in weddings when mirasi drummers are invited.

I'm not sure where you got this from. Bhangra is a traditional Punjabi dance and is performed at almost all festivals. It's one of the dances that armed forces officers prefer along with a couple of other traditional ones.

Bhangra and giddha in pre partitioned punjab were created in muslim majority area's like the bhangra was made in Sialkot and took root in Gujranwala, Sheikhpur,Gujrat and Gurdaspur which was muslim majority state and giddha was made in bist doab which was also muslim majority but why didn't pakistani punjabi's still practice these dance forms i know a few do bhangra but i never seen someone do giddha who is a pakistani.
It may or not may be practiced in Pakistan but they are definitely popular there..go and watch comments under youtube videos of giddha and bhangra..you will find majority from Pakistan.

I hear that Sikh/Hindu bhangra in Punjab is different from bhangra in Panjab. Is there any truth in it?

Banned? - No.
Haram - Yes.

Songs are allowed, musical instruments are not.
Musical instruments are allowed; but only certain.

About 20,000 and a few diaspora in there
No, I think there is much more.

It's one of the dances that armed forces officers prefer along with a couple of other traditional ones.
Attan is much more popular within the Army.

But are Music, Dance, Drinking & Smoking really banned by Islam?
Some forms of Music and Dance are banned. Drinking and Smoking are outright banned.

Back
Top Bottom