What's new

Why China's Taiwan stance is a bad idea

chineseexpat

New Recruit

Reaction score
1. China should not think it is stronger than it really is at this point. China's economy is only 1/3 the size of the American economy (nominal GDP). China needs Boeing far more than Boeing needs China. Sanctions against Boeing will hurt China far more.

2. And equally important. By not allowing Ma (who is obviously cooperative) to get fresh weapons, his position will become even more weak and he will not be able to win the election.

This is stupid stupid strategy. And I bet it's because of arrogance. This is why I keep on saying it's not the time to brag. It's the time to criticize and see how China can improve itself. China is not yet an industrialized economy but a lot of posters spend so much time bragging like it is one.

China wins playing nice with Taiwan - The Globe and Mail

"China should also try not to damage the increasingly precarious political position of Ma Ying-jeou, who faces re-election in 2012. The Taiwanese President's support ratings have plunged precipitously since he first assumed office in 2008 and his party, the Kuomintang, has suffered embarrassing reverses in recent local and legislative by-elections. If he is unable to buy defensive weapons from the United States, his support will erode even further. "

We chinese never brag. Chinese always think self-effacing is a good morality from the ancient periods. But, that is not the time to be self-effacing when somebody just shitting on our head, bcoz they dont consider our self-effacing as a good morality but a showing of weakness.

BTW: I dont know how about the other company, Boeing need chiness more than chinese need them. China has a market of more than 3000 plan in the recent future. Leaving Boeing we can also choose airbus.:lol:

China should never show weakness. However, China should privately acknowledge that it is weak right now because that is reality. And by knowing reality, good strategy can develop. China can only become strong if there is good strategy. Do you follow this logic?

And do you realize there are only two companies in the world that make big planes. And there will be only two companies for at least 15 YEARS! Do you know what a terrible mistake it will be to simply hand over to Airbus a monopoly on a market in which China will be spending HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars on? Do not be foolish. And you do brag a lot. Cut it out.

China should never show weakness. However, China should privately acknowledge that it is weak right now because that is reality. And by knowing reality, good strategy can develop. China can only become strong if there is good strategy. Do you follow this logic?

And do you realize there are only two companies in the world that make big planes. And there will be only two companies for at least 15 YEARS! Do you know what a terrible mistake it will be to simply hand over to Airbus a monopoly on a market in which China will be spending HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars on? Do not be foolish. And you do brag a lot. Cut it out.

Bcoz you are a chinese so I donnt wanna argue with you here. I agree with your "China can only become strong if there is good strategy", and we should sh@t on other's head who are always trying shitting on us, and if we dont hurt them back, they will do more than they are doing now.

Do you know what a terrible mistake it will be to simply hand over to Airbus a monopoly on a market in which China will be spending HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars on?

I can not understand why spending HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars on airbus instead of boeing is a terrible mistake for china. By the way are you considering these from US stand? And it is aslo a good chance for china to develep her own "big plane" which are processing now.

At last Bcoz you are a chinese and you and me both hope china become good and good. so I donnt wanna argue with you here more. And I think there are much more expert who are better than us in these field have considered your concern..

"I can not understand why spending HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars on airbus instead of boeing is a terrible mistake for china. By the way are you considering these from US stand? And it is aslo a good chance for china to develep her own "big plane" which are processing now."

Spending all that money on Airbus and none on Boeing will be very bad for China because if Airbus knows for sure it will get the Chinese business, they will just give China a bad deal. They will increase prices 15% and China will have no choice but to accept.

China will develop its own jumbo jet business but this is one of the most complex kinds of manufacturing. It will take AT LEAST 20 years, probably 30, for China to have a comparable aerospace company.

"And I think there are much more expert who are better than us in these field"

I am sure there are many greater experts making this decision, but just because they are experts doesn't mean they make the right decisions. We must always be concerned that leaders can be fools.

"I can not understand why spending HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars on airbus instead of boeing is a terrible mistake for china. By the way are you considering these from US stand? And it is aslo a good chance for china to develep her own "big plane" which are processing now."

Spending all that money on Airbus and none on Boeing will be very bad for China because if Airbus knows for sure it will get the Chinese business, they will just give China a bad deal. They will increase prices 15% and China will have no choice but to accept.

China will develop its own jumbo jet business but this is one of the most complex kinds of manufacturing. It will take AT LEAST 20 years, probably 30, for China to have a comparable aerospace company.

I am sure there are many greater experts making this decision, but just because they are experts doesn't mean they make the right decisions. We must always be concerned that leaders can be fools.

Take a look on this thread.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-...aircraft-restructure-intl-airline-market.html

You are right. No more comments.

Did you read this news ? 20-30 years ? i don't think so.

The first Chinese large aircraft is expected to take off for the first time in 2014 before its navigability is certified in 2016. This year saw the beginning of orders being placed. :cheers::china:
Development of Chinese large aircraft to restructure Int'l airline market - People's Daily Online

Chineseexpat.

I agree with you that China is weaker, in absolute term, compared with the US.

However, it all depends from which angle you look at weakness, China

would be slightly stronger than the US comparatively in post-financial crisis era,

in a sense Obama's wars and health plan can not be financed without Chinese money,

thus he needs China slightly more than other way around. I suspect that this dynamic

advantage has been explored fully by China's current tougher policies on both Taiwan

and Tibet as we can see... when two play chess, the weaker party (China in this case)

must and will take advantage of any slight weakness of the counterpart, in order to

stand a chance to win the game. Agree?

As for how to sanction Boeing, and to what extent, is not decided yet. I see there's still

some flexible room remaining.

Overall, I do think the current tougher stance is appropriate strategywise.

Last edited:
Really not sure the strategy taken by the Chinese government this time is good or bad. But I am very sure that Boeing cannot afford to lose the Chinese market to Airbus. It means too much to them either in short term or long term.

By the way, showing achievements or plans in progress (we do accomplish them) is not bragging I think. It is just for feel-good and best wishes.

Last edited:
Really not sure the strategy taken by the Chinese government this time is good or bad. But I am very sure that Boeing cannot afford to lose the Chinese market to Airbus. It means too much to them either in short term or long term.

By the way, showing achievements or plans in progress (we do accomplish them) is not bragging I think. It is just for feel-good and best wishes.

Hey, bro. I think boeing will indeed lost chinese market, and Airbus will not get it too. Take a look at this thread↓ and notice the time of this news.:lol: It seems our gvot has planed this and just wait for a change to say it. And Obama just gave a change.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-...aircraft-restructure-intl-airline-market.html

1. China should not think it is stronger than it really is at this point. China's economy is only 1/3 the size of the American economy (nominal GDP). China needs Boeing far more than Boeing needs China. Sanctions against Boeing will hurt China far more.

2. And equally important. By not allowing Ma (who is obviously cooperative) to get fresh weapons, his position will become even more weak and he will not be able to win the election.

This is stupid stupid strategy. And I bet it's because of arrogance. This is why I keep on saying it's not the time to brag. It's the time to criticize and see how China can improve itself. China is not yet an industrialized economy but a lot of posters spend so much time bragging like it is one.

China wins playing nice with Taiwan - The Globe and Mail

"China should also try not to damage the increasingly precarious political position of Ma Ying-jeou, who faces re-election in 2012. The Taiwanese President's support ratings have plunged precipitously since he first assumed office in 2008 and his party, the Kuomintang, has suffered embarrassing reverses in recent local and legislative by-elections. If he is unable to buy defensive weapons from the United States, his support will erode even further. "

Are you really a Chinese?
你是中国人吗?中国人就得卑躬屈膝吗?钱能代表一切?别人欺负到家门口了我们就得忍?妈的,又是一个卖国精英!还不如阿三。
当年日本侵略中国,日本比中国强大中国人就不能发抗了?怪不得当年汉奸那么多!
Indians are far better than you.

Last edited:

don't need to be so extreme....
He is just giving out his objective views.
Economy, military and diplomacy interconnects, losing in either one will eventually lose all three.
Balancing is the key.

*by the way, if you think China is really as strong as how the western media proclaims.
you already fallen into the trap. Because that was intended for their people, in order to have support from its population for doing anything towards China.

GDP is not everything. It is looking at total money transactions. If I took out a loan to buy a house it is counted toward GDP even though I don't really have the money.

当年日本侵略中国,日本比中国强大中国人就不能发抗了?怪不得当年汉奸那么多!

Don't be too harsh to people who disagree with you. Actually alot of what he says makes sense. We need both airbus and boeing to get the best deal.

And actually sometimes you can see the big picture better if you are outside of China. I can see Taiwan's relations with all other countries better now. Before when I lived in Taiwan all I see is directly related to Taiwan, simply because that how news report it.

Back
Top Bottom