What's new

Foxconn founder urges Taiwan to restart talks with mainland China, criticizing Taiwan causing tension

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Foxconn founder urges Taiwan to restart talks with mainland China, criticizing Taiwan ruling party for causing the tension across the strait
By Agency Staff18 July 2023

Foxconn Technology Group founder Terry Gou called for Taiwan and China to resume direct talks, while also criticising the ruling Democratic Progressive Party for causing tensions with Beijing.

Writing in an opinion piece in the Washington Post on Monday, Gou said he had “long advocated the immediate resumption of direct cross-strait negotiations between Taiwan and China as the only way to truly ease tensions and to preserve Taiwan’s democracy, freedom and rule of law”.

He said the two sides should work together under the one-China framework, a reference to the belief among Taiwan’s opposition that China and Taiwan have agreed that they are one nation but that they have different interpretation of what that country is.

Gou has been the subject of speculation that he may run as an independent in the presidential election.

Gou added the government of President Tsai Ing-wen and others in her party “have greatly aggravated the threat of war, isolated Taiwan internationally, damaged our economy, scared away investors and made Taiwan less secure”.

Gou has been the subject of speculation that he may run as an independent in the presidential election in January next year, especially after the opposition Kuomintang nominated New Taipei City Mayor Hou Yu-ih as its candidate.

He made an unsuccessful bid for Taiwan’s top job in 2019. The 72-year-old, whose company assembles the bulk of Apple’s iPhones in China, travelled to the US earlier this year in an apparent effort to rev up his bid to become president.

Chinese leader Xi Jinping has refused to deal with Tsai because she rejects the view held by Beijing that there’s just one China. Beijing has pledged to bring Taiwan under its control someday, by force if necessary.

One China

The Kuomintang, which lost a civil war to China’s now-ruling Communist Party before fleeing to Taiwan in the late 1940s and 1950s, also accepts the notion there’s one China.

Lai Ching-te, the vice president who is leading the race to succeed Tsai as president, has described himself as a “political worker for Taiwanese independence”, though he’s largely avoided making similar comments on the campaign trail.

He has also said Taiwan is already a de facto sovereign nation and therefore does not need to declare independence.

Taiwanese products suck. I needed a screen replacement for my aging laptop. On Aliexpress 99% of the time, they're selling AU Optronics (Taiwanese company) screen so I got one. I couldn't put my finger on my I didn't enjoy watching any videos on it. I was finally able to source a BOE (Mainland company) screen from one seller on Aliexpress.

On paper via Panelook the BOE screen is only slightly better in specs than the AUO screen. It only has 5 degrees better viewing angle, only 2% more NTSC coverage. BUT my the difference in picture output between the BOE and AUO screens are like day and night. CGI models in my anime series finally look life-like!

Thankfully, BOE is the one still making laptop 14-inch 1366x768 TN screens. This kind of laptop is almost extinct like dinosaurs. Thankfully, BOE the one still willing to provide the world with quality TN laptop screens!

Throughout history it always been fate tried to pull the undesirables away from China: HK with its ugly-to-listen-to Cantonese language, Taiwan with its terrible technology products. I know Mandarin sounds much more pleasant than Cantonese and Mainland products are only slightly more superior than Taiwanese products on paper but work much better/more enjoyable in real life!

I think I like the world as it stands. May go contrary against popular opinions, but HK could use some foreign recolonization, and Taiwan, plz China just leave as it. Try and merge Taiwan with Mainland can only get sucky products merge with Chinese companies' own products...

Last edited:
Terry Gou, 狗台铭,is BS, he always kowtows to those who permit interest with him.

Terry Gou, 狗台铭,is BS, he always kowtows to those who permit interest with him.

He changed his mind because of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva (觀世音菩薩).

He is on a big mission to save the world.

I hope he will be successful, but everything will depend on the good karma of everyone.

At least, he is trying.

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva is always the most concern about the End Times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom