What's new

When Urdu was the dominant language in Afghanistan

My grandma doenst know Urdu. My grandpa says that he learned it in his 30s. There’s 0 documentation on now everyone just spoke Urdu. Very weird and fascinating.
@Talwar e Pakistan views
Urdu is spoken in Pakistan today because of the British, not Akbar.

Prior to the British; Urdu, mainly known as Hindustani or Hindi back then was primarily concentrated in the Hindustan (UP and Delhi) region. Early British agents that travelled to modern-day Pakistan (then principally comprised of the Sikh Empire and the Emirates of Sindh) keenly observed how "none could speak the language of Hindustan", how Farsi was the official language and even noted local Farsi dialects spoken by the common people, which the British agents referred to as "Sindho-Persian".

In the late 1800s, the British began to aggressively promote Urdu/Hindustani as a part of an effort to unite their ethno-linguistically diverse subjects of the British Raj under a more central identity and language. To achieve this in modern-day Pakistan; Farsi and local languages were vigorously repressed. One method was to offer locals to trade in literature for money, as an example, there is a British poster in the Lahore museum that states "Two annas for a sword and six annas for a Punjabi qaida", the confiscated literature were then publicly burnt. Local languages were expounded as uncouth and vulgar compared to "civilized and refined" Urdu. This pro-Urdu propaganda article from 1930 Peshawar for example describes Pashto as a 'bullock cart' while Urdu as a 'motor car':
View attachment 815483

However the most successful method of promoting Urdu was propagating Urdu as an "Islamic language". Urdu was popularized as a language integral to the Muslim identity and with the rise of Muslim nationalism and the 1867 Urdu-Hindi controversy, this belief was strengthened. The Ulema and the Muslim intellectual elite (Aligarh movement) of Hindustan also strongly publicized Urdu as a "Muslim language". These initial inroads of Urdu into modern-day Pakistan consequently saw the rapid rise of the Indian Deobandi and Barelvi sects, whose madrassas and sermons helped bring Urdu to the common masses.

We speak Urdu today because of the British.

My grandma doenst know Urdu. My grandpa says that he learned it in his 30s. There’s 0 documentation on now everyone just spoke Urdu. Very weird and fascinating.

That's true. Nobody spoke this language except the Indian Muslims from purely Hindu states. Its a British imposed language. Even today, nobody knows it except metro cities of provinces as compared to people who knew Persian back then.

That's true. Nobody spoke this language except the Indian Muslims from purely Hindu states. Its a British imposed language. Even today, nobody knows it except metro cities of provinces as compared to people who knew Persian back then.

Also, due to Urdu as our language, we remained like Indians in habits, dressing and identity.

Also, due to Urdu as our language, we remained like Indians in habits, dressing and identity.

Check my latest thread. I mentioned you there

Check my latest thread. I mentioned you there

We needed a national language to unite the country, and we managed to do that. Can't change it now. Also Urdu is considered a Pakistani language now anyway. National unity is working so best not try to create issues where they don't exist.

Moving forward we have much bigger issues to worry about.

Vast majority of country has accepted Urdu . Iqbal poetry is all in Urdu/Persian and that's where you will find Pakistans ideology. We don't bother to read Iqbals poetry that's why we are lost

We needed a national language to unite the country, and we managed to do that. Can't change it now. Also Urdu is considered a Pakistani language now anyway. National unity is working so best not try to create issues where they don't exist.

Moving forward we have much bigger issues to worry about.

Vast majority of country has accepted Urdu . Iqbal poetry is all in Urdu/Persian and that's where you will find Pakistans ideology. We don't bother to read Iqbals poetry that's why we are lost

I won't agree that national unity is increasing. Rest, you're correct.

I won't agree that national unity is increasing. Rest, you're correct.

I think we are in a much better position than in previous decades. We should all at individual level promote unity and we should be advocating for the revival of Iqbals poetry, honestly it has the whole guide for Pakistan's rise, I don't know why we have never bother to implement anything from it, the day we start doing so will be the day we start progressing

Also even Afghans have started to speak Urdu ...

I mean look at IEA'S health minister:

Last edited:
I think we are in a much better position than in previous decades. We should all at individual level promote unity and we should be advocating for the revival of Iqbals poetry, honestly it has the whole guide for Pakistan's rise, I don't know why we have never bother to implement anything from it, the day we start doing so will be the day we start progressing

Also even Afghans have started to speak Urdu ...

I mean look at IEA'S health minister:

In my grandma’s village everyone can speak Urdu due to mobilization of mass media. Post 2000 Urdu comprehension and command increased drastically. But in the 60s and 70s? Nahhhhh

This is a nonsensical article, Urdu was not even dominant in modern-day Pakistan at that time let alone Afghanistan.

Where does it say that urdu is a dominant language?
It was used for communication with those who have different mother tongue. It is still used in Pakistan, Sindhi and Pashtun communicating in Urdu, Punjabi and Balochi communicating in Urdu.

Last edited:
Urdu will be there for a long time. simply because its so closely related to Hindi. Bollywood has popularized Urdu in Afghanisthan. Urdu has successfully established itself as a Link Language.
Language that most people in North speak right now is mix of English(1 or 2 words in each sentence) + Urdu/Hindi.

What makes you say that?
Hate is the reason. This language don't belong here. And tbh, my elders adopted this language for no good reasons. What quiad was thinking when he declared urdu as national language? Who spoke that here?

Hate is the reason. This language don't belong here. And tbh, my elders adopted this language for no good reasons. What quiad was thinking when he declared urdu as national language? Who spoke that here?
And what language should the national language be then?

Arabic would just be sucking off the Arabs, hopefully that never ever happens. The language should have links with Pakistan somehow.

It's too late changing the national language now anyway

And what language should the national language be then?

Arabic would just be sucking off the Arabs, hopefully that never ever happens. The language should have links with Pakistan somehow.

It's too late changing the national language now anyway
Punjabi or English.
Edit: or we will accept Chinese anyway in few years.

Doesnt matter needed a neutral language that didn't prefer any ethnicity which was a good idea otherwise there would be fighting Iver language. Jinnah was wise and prevented this disaster

English is already the national language and Punjabi would literally cause turmoil throughout Pakistan, and it wouldn't remove our links with India anyway.

What's wrong with Urdu?
Making issues out of nothing...
Jinnah was wiser than us because he knew we would fight over things like language. Urdu is great as its neutral. Understand this blessingng and move on. Everyone has accepted urdu and is happy about it

Does matter needed a neutral language that didn't prefer any ethnicity which was a good idea otherwise there would be fighting Iver language. Jinnah was wise and prevented this disaster

Making issues out of nothing...
Facts, Jinnah had foresight

Urdu ensured equality as no major ethnic group's specific language was chosen.

Back
Top Bottom