What's new

What would you like to have in the JF-17

Mach 2+ capable with super cruise
Thrust vectoring
better gun
Stealth adapted version such as the F-15 Silent Eagle
better radar ( i hear this is already happening)

but you have to remember JF-17 is not meant to replace the F-16 initially

Different body, fuselage altogether. A bigger twin engined plane

I think it is unrealistic to expect JFT to carry 11hardpoints. We have to realize we are sitting at the cusp of 4/5generation switchover. Addition of 3 hardpoints at the belly requires,shifting of the wheels which will require re testing and a delay of 2-5 yrs. Do we really want to be manufacturing JFT in 2025-7(on assumption that the real work starts after induction of block 3).
Ok, boss even though the reply was not to my post but still it some what;

What would you like to have in the JF-17
Not stealth!
All i wish for the plan is to have 3 more hard points. Two under wings for weapons and one under fuselage for POD (to be used when and where required). Wont mention AESA etc as i see them happening already. The ONLY problem might be the weapon station. Perhaps this wish will need the plan to be enlarged, 15% lets say. That will increase lift (larger wings), more composites (already happening) will keep weight low so the plane can then support these three extra hard points as i stated.

Is it too much to ask? :)

If i may elaborate and indulge in a debate on this further?
I partially agree with what you said, we do not want to be producing JF17 in 2025 but as our main line fighter. No problem is still producing these as 4.5 gen planes though to complement the 5th generation fleet that will be in limited numbers.
In fact, another reason why i would want JFT to be able to carry more weapons and have 11 hard points is that the Blk-III and may be beyond Blk-III are most likely to be the aircraft that will be complementing the 5ht gn plane.s The 5th generation planes wont only be in limited numbers but will be able to carry lesser weapons on them in limited enclosed storage space. For that we need JFT which are more adequately armed? Not asking for bomb truck here but will want to see 4-6 BVRAAMs, 2-4 WVRAAMs a POD if required and may be even fuel tank.
Also a reason for wishing for ONLY this is not stealth or such fancy tools is because i think they will have 5th gen. on their sides to fill in that gap.

@Deino @HRK thoughts?

JF-17 IV

*MTOW increased to medium class fighter category
*Engine upgrade 110-120KN
*Aesa Radar
*All axis FBW
*9 Hardpoints
*Integration of ALCM for nuclear strike role
*Increased Internal fuel capacity

:P

probably its time for a new plane

That might be ... but it was not the question.

It's like joining a soccer club and always complaining why you are not allowed to play the ball with your hands.
If you don't like you soccer and prefer handball, one should join a handball club and so if the PAF - or IMO more likely some forum members here - whish de fact a new aircraft, then they should not complain on the JF-17's limitations. It's a fine bird, a true gem IMO but it could never fulfil these too-high expectations as to achieve the same performance a F-16/J-10 or even medium weight fighters could do.

So - not meant against You - I'm indeed tired on these constant wet-dreams of some fan boys one could read in several forums...

Last edited:
For that we need JFT which are more adequately armed? Not asking for bomb truck here but will want to see 4-6 BVRAAMs, 2-4 WVRAAMs a POD if required and may be even fuel tank.
agreed but this depends on powerful engine, what I expect with block-III is more robust avionic with integrated SPJ and AESA radar with IRST

JF-17 IV

*MTOW increased to medium class fighter category
*Engine upgrade 110-120KN
*Aesa Radar
*All axis FBW
*9 Hardpoints
*Integration of ALCM for nuclear strike role
*Increased Internal fuel capacity

:P

Plus
*GAN Active array based internal Jammer
*GAN AESA
*Hardpoints on the intake for pods
*OBOGS
*Increased endurance
*HOBS missile + HMDS
*High speed data link and instant mesh networking
*sensor fusion
*increased climb rate to 300 m/s plus from current 250 m/s

Bubble canopy, different lighter body material, super cruise capability and a newer engine :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom