What's new

What kind of food is this ?

Suprised never came across this
But makes sense as the size of meal is for group of people must be only specialty for big events

Big sheep or perhaps baby camel. In my opinion it is a baby camel. I don't know how this is appetizing to you. When my father was in airforce in the 70's, Saudi cadets were having parties like this in Karachi airbase. My father was responsible for training their cadets. He once joined them for a feast, but immediately got pissed off when they started picking off meat and throwing it at him.

In Arab culture, this is a sign of respect. My father got pissed off and said 'Why the **** are you throwing meat at me? Am I a dog?'. Out of 60 Saudi cadets, my father only respected 6 or 7 of them because they were professionals. The rest were arrogant, and ended up getting beaten with leather straps on the hot/summer Karachi airbase tarmac by special forces for disrespecting a Pakistani CO.

One of the Saudis climbed a water tower and threatened that he would jump if he was not sent back. He ended up jumping and breaking his legs. After the incident, a liaison officer was brought in. Some big African guy named Farooq, that would let the Saudi cadets know when they are crossing the line again in terms of discipline. So whenever PAF personnel had an issue with the Saudi cadets, they would immediately inform Farooq, and he would take care of it.

What kind of insane nonsense is this? You have told this fairytale story a few times. Nobody in KSA or any Arab country for that matter throws freaking meat at guests as some sign of respect. PDF Is "bullshit central" by large but this story is one of the more crazy ones that I have heard (now once again). The only thing that is thrown out is food or garbage and in a trashcan. Not at a freaking guest.:lol:

Arabian (in particular)/Arab hospitality is world famous for a reason.

https://stepfeed.com/6-ways-arab-hospitality-knows-no-bounds-0354

Find me a single written reference (academic or non-academic) that shows that absurd imaginary practice, LOL. You can't.

Arabian/Arab cuisine is world famous for a reason and one of the most influential cuisines in the world. Cuisines from Spain (Latin American by default) to Indonesia have been influenced by Arab cuisine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_cuisine

Barbecuing, grilling etc. sheep, goat, game, camel (more rare) is usually a practice done by rural people or the few remaining Bedouins. Done all across the Arab world and it is incredibly tasty and numerous methods of meat/seafood preparation is used in the process.

Go to Saudi Arabia. Most of the executioners are big and strong Africans that swing heavy sword on the heads of criminals. Not sure If this is still going on, but in the 90's we would all hear stories such as this. I could be wrong, because I have never traveled to KSA personally.

True. The few remaining executioners are all Afro-Arabs and inherit the job. Nowadays nobody wants to do it so many executions occur in prisons by shooting.

I must admit this looks fantastic

Bedouin/tribal gathering. Baby camel (incredibly tasty, lean and healthy meat) and lamb.

its nice and best thing is i did not have gastric after eating so much

Such feasts are not too rarely serving 1000's of people. Sometimes 10.000's if it is a special gathering.

A lot of food waste though, sadly.

But everything that involves meat, seafood and fire is huge thing in KSA and most Arab countries. There are literally 100's of different cooking methods in this regard. It is a science itself.

BTW how this thread can turn into some kind of "racial discussion" between Pakistanis and Indians, I don't know? Once again.:lol:

Last edited:
It is called Madfoun.

It can be made from lamb or camel,

You take the animal, clean it, spice it.

Then you dig a deep enough hole, and let coals burn in it until they are red.

Then you take half cooked rice, and place that in the bottom tray,
the meat along with any veggies goes on top.

Seal the hole, air tight.

Cooking time is aprox 6 hours.

What comes out is very slow cooked meat, with the rice and everything else cooked in that steam.

the closest pakistani equivalent is dam-pukht.

:cheers:

:o: Tasty or not I can never bring myself to feast upon anything that looks like that.

So you won't eat lamb (the best and most expensive meat out there aside from rare game)? Or baby camel meat which is one of the most healthy meat out there and not cheap either?

Ok, your lose.

BTW those are dishes for real men. It's not fine dining like other typical Arab dishes like Kabsa, Mandi, Mansaf etc. etc.

The above is for eating at home or restaurants.

Feasts are a different game.
Bonfire, Arabian coffee, Arabian tea, dates, Arabian frankincense (it originates from Arabia) burning in the background, nice music, poetry, storytelling, beautiful nature, night sky, you are out in the open thus fresh air and a feeling of true "freedom" etc. Tons of people to socialize with. You cannot look at it in isolation. It needs to be experienced first hand.

Afterwards hunting or falconry. Great stuff.

:o: Tasty or not I can never bring myself to feast upon anything that looks like that.

You would not eat such tasty lamb?:lol: You are missing out big time.

I know that you South Asians eat much less meat and seafood than we Arabs do but I know from first hand experience that you eat much more meat than the Indians and Bangladeshis. I expected such meat feasts to be popular in Pakistan as well. Maybe not to this extend but anyway.

Last edited:
I think Pakistan needs a Saudi Cousin Franchise for real food not just Shawarma which is kinda like fast food, would not mind trying out the meal from that large gigantic plate with super large Roasted Camel/Lamb

I think Pakistan needs a Saudi Cousin Franchise for real food not just Shawarma which is kinda like fast food, would not mind trying out the meal from that large gigantic plate with super large Roasted Camel/Lamb

Such Arabian/Arab dishes cannot be served in regular restaurants as it takes half a day (at least) or sometimes 1 day or more (if there are many dishes which is often the case) to prepare it and a few chefs are not enough to prepare it. It's not like you can make an open bonfire or prepare meat underground in most conventional restaurants.

Shawarma, falafel, kebab etc. are mostly indigenous fast foods in KSA and the Arab world. It's something you eat casually and not in a large gatherings or settings. I tend to eat such food when I am on the run, busy or hungry for a quick "snack". There are many such "snack" dishes in Arabian/Arab cuisines. In KSA we have local versions and dishes found nowhere else. Lots of sweets, pastries, dumplings etc. More healthy stuff like meze as well.

Actual dishes at home that involve meat or when you are out are prepared in traditional ways often.

I once made a thread about Hijazi cuisine (that had 25-30 pages or something). I posted close to 100 dishes, videos, descriptions in Arabic and English etc.

Watch until the end in both of the two videos!

I can send another one of my late grandfather.

CusYQaw.jpg

I've yet to see any Indians like my grandfather. From the dress, the way paghri is tied, language, or even diet. But If you say so, I guess Indians must all look like us.

Your grandfather looks Arab. Where you not part of a Punjabi tribe that claims Arab ancestry? Well, there you have your answer.:lol:

I am dead serious. A lot of Sindhis and Punjabis have Arab admixture as well as Baloch people. People in Arabia, if they have South Asian admixture, usually have it from those 3 groups as well due to settlements and intermarriages throughout the ages. I know that you guys are in love with the Turks (not the actual Turks of Central Asia mind you) but as far as West Asia/Middle East goes you guys are closest to Iranians and Arabs by far. The West Asian component in you is mostly Arab/Semitic as per the haplogroups and the fact that the earliest Neolithic people emerged in Sham/Northern Arabia/Iraq.

Last edited:
Yeah Madfun.
It's Delicious.

BUT in such big gathering, A lot of it, is thrown out, even though many are given pcs in their way out and so on... Still a lot of good untouched parts are thrown out...

It's usually 4 for that size of small/middle pcs... But 2-3 more at the table could limit the lose...

There is those who can finish it to the bone... nonetheless...

Ps: In those I were part of ofc... Could differ with others...

Yeah Madfun.
It's Delicious.

BUT in such big gathering, A lot of it, is thrown out, even though many are given pcs in their way out and so on... Still a lot of good untouched parts are thrown out...

It's usually 4 for that size of small/middle pcs... But 2-3 more at the table could limit the lose...

There is those who can finish it to the bone... nonetheless...

Ps: In those I were part of ofc... Could differ with others...

Food waste in general is a huge thing in KSA and the GCC. It's criminal as it is contrary to Arabian customs and hospitality. Generosity and huge portions have always been a key component but throwing this much food out (talking about mostly ordinary families here as well) is a more new thing due to the wealth.

A lot of leftover food is given out to needy expats, the few needy natives (remember that KSA is one of the largest welfare states in the world and that people who cannot earn money themselves for various reasons are helped by the state or family/friends which tend to be very close-knitted in KSA in general). I would even claim that family is far above everything and cultivating family relations.

Things like sending your elders to some nursing home is unthinkable and that is paradoxical as locals are buying, watching etc. all the newest Western products as soon as they come out be it movies, clothing, gadgets, trends etc. and can afford them besides being well-travelled and well-connected.

It's not strange to see some Saudi Arabian (my age, early 20's) that just graduated as a doctor in Canada to feel the need to go to the desert or mountains for such feats and traditional pursuits and feel the "freedom". This is also normal among the youth that venture out in their SUV's to sleep in a traditional tent overnight out in the wild. It's popular in the West to venture out to some cabin in the weekends to get "disconnected" from the modern world but I find it particular prevalent in KSA.

Yet very old-fashioned (in my eyes positive in this case) traditions remain upheld at all costs. It's quite a paradox. You are surrounded by modernity everywhere yet certain Western practices (despite easily accomplishable in theory) are a big no go.

Heyenas feed the same way..Not much difference between the two beasts..both feed on carcasses..

You need to see a doctor bro (I thought that your obsession got cured after a several month long break but I was wrong), especially considering that various grilled meats (lamb, goat, chicken, camel etc.) are eaten in Algeria as well and in the exact same fashion. Especially in rural areas. KSA has one of the highest urbanization rates in the world. 80%+ of all citizens live in cities.

Last edited:
These are normal looks in Indian Punjab, Haryana and western UP. But i agree this is 10-30%different.

Not really, Haryanvis and UP people look closer to cental south Indians.

Food waste in general is a huge thing in KSA and the GCC. It's criminal as it is contrary to Arabian customs and hospitality. Generosity and huge portions have always been a key component but throwing this much food out (talking about mostly ordinary families here as well) is a more new thing due to the wealth.

A lot of leftover food is given out to needy expats, the few needy natives (remember that KSA is one of the largest welfare states in the world and that people who cannot earn money themselves for various reasons are helped by the state or family/friends which tend to be very close-knitted in KSA in general). I would even claim that family is far above everything and cultivating family relations.

Things like sending your elders to some nursing home is unthinkable and that is paradoxical as locals are buying, watching etc. all the newest Western products as soon as they come out be it movies, clothing, gadgets, trends etc.

Yet very old-fashioned (in my eyes positive in this case) traditions remain upheld at all costs. It's quite a paradox. You are surrounded by modernity everywhere yet certain Western practices (despite easily accomplishable in theory) are a big no go.

You need to see a doctor, especially considering that various grilled meats (lamb, goat, chicken, camel etc.) are eaten in Algeria as well and in the exact same fashion. Especially in rural areas.

It's All around the Region, too much Food Waste. Even in everyday meals... 60% Of the Bread is wasted... 30-40% Bigger Portion... And With Time, Ppl give less and less to those in Needs, Nowadays even the poor will be offended to receive a meal...

Anyway, Culture or not, If something is done wrong, then it should be changed. EVen more When a century ago or less, such portion wasn't the norm, Back in The days, My 95 years old Grandfather already called such practice an Heresy... Even though he was from a wealthy family, He told us...That even the Bey wasn't given a full Cow or Baby Camel in the special occasion...

So it's mostly something "Recent" even if Recent in this case is 90-70 years old...

In South Tunisia... You can even get " A full Camel"... Even if it's rare... They do it sometimes...

Your grandfather looks Arab. Where you not part of a Punjabi tribe that claims Arab ancestry? Well, there you have your answer.:lol:

I am dead serious. A lot of Sindhis and Punjabis have Arab admixture as well as Baloch people. People in Arabia, if they have South Asian admixture, usually have it from those 3 groups as well due to settlements and intermarriages throughout the ages. I know that you guys are in love with the Turks (not the actual Turks of Central Asia mind you) but as far as West Asia/Middle East goes you guys are closest to Iranians and Arabs by far. The West Asian component in you is mostly Arab/Semitic as per the haplogroups and the fact that the earliest Neolithic people emerged in Sham/Northern Arabia/Iraq.

Not arab admixture but arains have less indigenous Indian then typical south asian from India. But its similar to other tribes in punjab/sindh apart from dalit like communities who tend to be more Indian admixture and look wise.

Big sheep or perhaps baby camel. In my opinion it is a baby camel. I don't know how this is appetizing to you. When my father was in airforce in the 70's, Saudi cadets were having parties like this in Karachi airbase. My father was responsible for training their cadets. He once joined them for a feast, but immediately got pissed off when they started picking off meat and throwing it at him.

They may have been joking otherwise we would find some youtube videos of this arab custom.

Not arab admixture just less indigenous Indian then typical south asian from India.

They may have been joking otherwise we would find some youtube videos of this arab custom.

Arabs ruled significant parts of modern-day Pakistan and due to Arabs controlling the Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean trade for millennia people-to-people contacts occurred and this can be seen in modern-day DNA although we are talking about a minority here. Arabs, in particular in Eastern Arabia (all those small GCC states and the coastal Eastern province of KSA, have around 5-10% admixture from South Asia (mostly modern-day Pakistan). It's due to what I described above. In Oman it is higher due to Baloch migrations/employment for the Omani empire/Baloch looking for greener pastures) that have long been naturalized/Arabized and intermarrying locals.

Your non-South Asian component is mostly (aside from Central Asian) from the Middle East/West Asia which is Arab/Semitic heartland and most of your haplogroups (Y-DNA and the maternal) originate in the Arab world. Neolithic migrations to Pakistan also occurred from the Arab world (more precisely Sham, Northern Arabia and Iraq/Mesopotamia).

IVC (although we know nothing about their rulers, no names, what language they spoke, unlike contemporary civilians in Arabia such as Dilmun, Sumer, Magan etc.) were also trade partners of those civilizations native to Arabia. This is described in academic works in detail.

https://www.harappa.com/answers/was...etween-harappans-and-mesopotamians-direct-one

There is no denying about any of those aforementioned facts.

Anyway the guy looks Arabs (facial features).

In fact, I believe, that it has already been proven or at least strongly hypothesize that the original settlers of the IVC were from Arabia/Western Asia originally. This might explain why they worshipped cows/bulls which is also something that occurred earlier in Magan, Dilmun, Sumer etc.

Similar statues have been discovered as well. In fact Arabian statues are larger than any next door Mesopotamian or Harappan statues. Found in the Eastern Province. It's impossible for there not to have been a close relationship back then.

The Worshiping Servant statue (2500 BC), above one metre in height, the statue is much taller than any possible Mesopotamian or Harappan models[42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia

Last edited:
Did someone mention meat. I am here. What are we having

It's All around the Region, too much Food Waste. Even in everyday meals... 60% Of the Bread is wasted... 30-40% Bigger Portion... And With Time, Ppl give less and less to those in Needs, Nowadays even the poor will be offended to receive a meal...

Anyway, Culture or not, If something is done wrong, then it should be changed. EVen more When a century ago or less, such portion wasn't the norm, Back in The days, My 95 years old Grandfather already called such practice an Heresy... Even though he was from a wealthy family, He told us...That even the Bey wasn't given a full Cow or Baby Camel in the special occasion...

So it's mostly something "Recent" even if Recent in this case is 90-70 years old...

In South Tunisia... You can even get " A full Camel"... Even if it's rare... They do it sometimes...

Yes, it is prevalent practically everywhere (I have no reason to believe that it is any different in say China or even India) so I am not singling out the GCC here but it is a huge problem, if you ask me. Not only talking about food here. Wasting water by using outdated agricultural techniques (luckily changing lately for the batter), wastefulness during the summer (millions if not billions of liters of water is wasted during the 4 summer months to make everything look green, if you ask me native plants that are resistant to summer temperatures and arid conditions should be planted in the millions = problem solved, keep the rest to a few public parks or private gardens).

I catch myself throwing out food as well but I try to limit it and always tend to feel a bit "bad" afterwards when I think about 100's millions of people who have no such luxury (if not billions).

Those huge portions are always for huge/large gatherings. The logic is "better be save than sorry". The host (as per Arabian hospitality customs) is expected to shower you with food etc. As you know fear of "losing face" is a big no go in our part of the world for good and bad. Often bad. So people prefer spending a lot of money on food (later to throw say 30% out) rather than buy less than what will be eaten and lose face in the process.

However it is changing among the youth. Vegetarians (which were unthinkable just 2 decades ago) are emerging and thinking about the planet and not being wasteful is hip/popular.

Government bodies have also started campaigns online to target the youth and in recent months millions of trees have been planted for instance. Yet much more is to be done. People are not quite as environmentally conscious as in the West.

I agree. What a coincidence. I have a paternal grandfather that is 95 years old and still kicking.:cheers: May God bless their souls and give them a few more years at least.

Back
Top Bottom