What's new

What kind of food is this ?

Big sheep or perhaps baby camel. In my opinion it is a baby camel. I don't know how this is appetizing to you. When my father was in airforce in the 70's, Saudi cadets were having parties like this in Karachi airbase. My father was responsible for training their cadets. He once joined them for a feast, but immediately got pissed off when they started picking off meat and throwing it at him.

In Arab culture, this is a sign of respect. My father got pissed off and said 'Why the **** are you throwing meat at me? Am I a dog?'. Out of 60 Saudi cadets, my father only respected 6 or 7 of them because they were professionals. The rest were arrogant, and ended up getting beaten with leather straps on the hot/summer Karachi airbase tarmac by special forces for disrespecting a Pakistani CO.

One of the Saudis climbed a water tower and threatened that he would jump if he was not sent back. He ended up jumping and breaking his legs. After the incident, a liaison officer was brought in. Some big African guy named Farooq, that would let the Saudi cadets know when they are crossing the line again in terms of discipline. So whenever PAF personnel had an issue with the Saudi cadets, they would immediately inform Farooq, and he would take care of it.

Big sheep or perhaps baby camel. In my opinion it is a baby camel. I don't know how this is appetizing to you. When my father was in airforce in the 70's, Saudi cadets were having parties like this in Karachi airbase. My father was responsible for training their cadets. He once joined them for a feast, but immediately got pissed off when they started picking off meat and throwing it at him.

In Arab culture, this is a sign of respect. My father was pissed off and said 'Why the **** are you throwing meat at me? Am I a dog?'. Out of 60 Saudi cadets, my father only respected 6 or 7 of them because they were professionals. The rest were arrogant, and ended up getting beaten with leather straps on the hot/summer Karachi airbase tarmac by special forces for disrespecting a Pakistani CO.

One of the Saudis climbed a water tower and threatened that he would jump if he was not sent back. He ended up jumping and breaking his legs. After the incident, a liaison officer was brought in. Some big African guy named Farooq, that would let the Saudi cadets know when they are crossing the line again in terms of discipline. So whenever PAF personnel had an issue with the Saudi cadets, they would immediately inform Farooq, and he would take care of it.

Lolzzzz about the meat throwing part.

Afghans do it too as per my batchmates who ran a mobile clinic there (out of uniform of course).

And the same huge plate gets whittled down by successive rounds of round table eaters, very neatly keeping the bones aside.

This disgust at jhootha etc. is simply the Indian in you. It's not a middle Easter thing at all.

Cheers, Doc

Lolzzzz about the meat throwing part.

Afghans do it too as per my batchmates who ran a mobile clinic there (out of uniform of course).

And the same huge plate gets whittled down by successive rounds of round table eaters, very neatly keeping the bones aside.

This disgust at jhootha etc. is simply the Indian in you. It's not a middle Easter thing at all.

Cheers, Doc

Pashtuns don't throw meat at anyone. And wtf is jhootha? Do you mean shoe?

Pashtuns don't throw meat at anyone. And wtf is jhootha? Do you mean shoe?

I meant the same hand they are eating with (going into / touching their mouth ) they would pick out the biggest most delectable piece from the central plate and hand it to the doctor saabs as a mark of respect.

They would treat and eat with and be equally respected and protected by both sides there incidentally. Pashtun and Tajik. Though the snide barbs against each other were common.

Cheers, Doc

Had this dish many times. It is tasty. Used to eat it with my Arab friends in university. Barbequed Lamb leg on rice.

I don't like full animal cooked except for the fish. I rather like small pieces of meat cooked thoroughly after removing most the animal fat and cleaning from the blood. Many people seem to ignore that blood is explicitly haram and when you cook full body, remnants of blood are still in the meat and cannot be removed.
Also it feels too extravagant and uncivilised.

Last edited:
I meant the same hand they are eating with (going into / touching their mouth ) they would pick out the biggest most delectable piece from the central plate and hand it to the doctor saabs as a mark of respect.

They would treat and eat with and be equally respected and protected by both sides there incidentally. Pashtun and Tajik. Though the snide barbs against each other were common.

Cheers, Doc

I don't know anything about this. In Pakistan, generally Pashtuns eat from their own plates to my knowledge. Also there is no Indianess in me, my father, or my family. You Indians look different to us, dress different to us and speak differently, forget about the dietary habits.

Here is a picture of my maternal grandfather with my maternal uncle from the late 80's, and I honestly don't see any Indians looking like this.

IrHcvRZ.jpg

Except for maybe an odd Punjabi here or there which I still doubt, you guys really don't have much to do with us. Sorry to break it to you.

I don't know anything about this. In Pakistan, generally Pashtuns eat from their own plates to my knowledge. Also there is no Indianess in me, my father, or my family. You Indians look different to us, dress different to us and speak differently, forget about the dietary habits.

Here is a picture of my maternal grandfather with my maternal uncle from the late 80's, and I honestly don't see any Indians looking like this.

IrHcvRZ.jpg

Except for maybe an odd Punjabi here or there which I still doubt, you guys really don't have much to do with us. Sorry to break it to you.
These are normal looks in Indian Punjab, Haryana and western UP. But i agree this is 10-30%different.

These are normal looks in Indian Punjab, Haryana and western UP. But i agree this is 10-30%different.

I can send another one of my late grandfather.

CusYQaw.jpg

I've yet to see any Indians like my grandfather. From the dress, the way paghri is tied, language, or even diet. But If you say so, I guess Indians must all look like us.

In Arab culture, this is a sign of respect. My father got pissed off and said 'Why the **** are you throwing meat at me? Am I a dog?'. Out of 60 Saudi cadets, my father only respected 6 or 7 of them because they were professionals. The rest were arrogant, and ended up getting beaten with leather straps on the hot/summer Karachi airbase tarmac by special forces for disrespecting a Pakistani CO.

That's why PDF is the best site.

Why that African guy? Was he big and strong or something or are Africans related to Saudis?

That's why PDF is the best site.

Why that African guy? Was he big and strong or something or are Africans related to Saudis?

Go to Saudi Arabia. Most of the executioners are big and strong Africans that swing heavy sword on the heads of criminals. Not sure If this is still going on, but in the 90's we would all hear stories such as this. I could be wrong, because I have never traveled to KSA personally.

Back
Top Bottom