What's new

what iis the current status about the long range air defence missile deal

Of course i don't get you wrong :) but i don't know the cyprus situation. What is this about?

Exactly that is the problem. The US policy when it comes to selling equipment to us is like the weather. The interest groups in the US are controlling the congress and that makes them a very unreliable Ally (?). So why the hell should we continue buying US-made equipment.

That's why we should make our own (military tech) and stop relying on other countries which we are slowly.
But for the time being America is still our number one arms supplier, most of the time it's reliable but sometimes it pauses or just simply disagrees with our 'shopping list' whether its because of a political disagreement or worried about the technology been given which might upset the balance of power in the region.

Legionnaire I came here to discuss military affairs. I have no interest in arguing with random people online for the hell of it I do plenty of that in video games. I usually respect everyone's decision and I am sorry if I lashed out at you. But you shouldn't call people on simple mistakes rather correct them in a gentlemen like manner instead of stating that I'm ignorant because I forgot/didn't know a certain country had a particular weapons system in operation.
With that note let me again tell you that this is not a trip to the local mini mart. Spending millions of dollars on military gear which is brought to protect your country isn't something that simply boils down to which is best on offer. Your relationship with that country must be analyzed past and present. Why would you purchase equipment from an uneasy ally? What happens if they stop supporting your systems? Look at Israel.
Also there is no such thing as 'best'. Every weapons system considered for purchase must pass carefully laid out requirements and pass a certain percentage overall which is not provided to the seller. India for example has very different requirements compared to a EU nation for the simple fact that it's mostly humid and mountainous (ex; the 'best' helicopter doesn't operate well at high temperatures where the 4th best does therefore will have better chance of being picked).

Stating that something is better (especially without an explanation) when discussing complex military gear makes you sound childish and shows you lack a high degree of knowledge.

Stating that something is better (especially without an explanation) when discussing complex military gear makes you sound childish and shows you lack a high degree of knowledge.
Which is exactly why i said "the best offer" and not "the best system". While i do agree that Raytheon's PAC3 offer is way more likely to win, doesn't mean Eurosam and HQ9 doesn't stand a chance. We may not be allies but we have some kind of relationship with each of these countries.

How can i be thinking that there's only one parameter especially after my last post? What you screwed up about is to see that Russian and Chinese bids has some merit in them too, if they hadn't the would not be invited to join the tender.

Does anyone know when the competition starts for the SAM?
You mean when will it end? could be the next SSIK meeting but it's of high probability that the decision will be postponed again. We've just changed the requirements of the tender.

I can't say anything, really. At this point nobody can.

Back
Top Bottom