What's new

What I saw in New-Delhi

adjust to delhi's standards of varying arrogants and rudes?? :lol:

huzoor, think before writing and don't justify "blame the victim" mentality.

people should be gentle and polite, whether in delhi or in madras... or exit the world.

Don't agree - You can't force your own sensibilities on the world.

It is also the case of degrees - What may be brash, rude and arrogant to European sensibilities may not be to American one - they might not even notice it. Various socio-cultural and environmental factors go into shaping the tone and behavorial patterns and these are acquired over decades if not centuries - an individual has very less control over it contrary to what it may seem

Don't agree - You can't force your own sensibilities on the world.

i am not expecting every second person to spout poetry but when i am being polite with people, isn't it fair to expect decent behavior from the other side??

gentleness and lack of chaos are marks of civilized culture, yes?? :)

It is also the case of degrees - What may be brash, rude and arrogant to European sensibilities may not be to American one - they might not even notice it. Various socio-cultural and environmental factors go into shaping the tone and behavorial patterns and these are acquired over decades if not centuries - an individual has very less control over it contrary to what it may seem

to your last line, a individual surely is aware of what he is saying, and if he continues to be impolite, it would be because he thinks his current region expects and allows him to be so, or even if removed from his region, he is expected to carry his region with him.

to your point of case of degrees, sure, but we must make effort to point mark out these varying degrees in conversation methods and get it to acceptable decent level.

please read also my post just above yours - my reply to baajey.

He is a typical islamist and nothing except Islamist political system of Dark desert age is good for him.

now how did islam come into this?? :hitwall:

@jamahir

stop BSing and playing the victim card everywhere. Your friend is useless as far as narrating his experience in Delhi is concerned. Hardly anyone in Delhi uses tu; In fact, in cities like Bombay and Poona, people use tu much more often than they use aap not because they mean less respect to the person they're speaking with, but because correct/proper Hindi isn't one of our strong points down here, and most people don't give much importance to the correct usage of respectful-sounding Hindi. Delhiites for the most part, use aap everywhere.

i only said that my friend found aggression and quarrelsome attitude in delhi... i never said that in south india are only found great conversationalists but my friend was talking about people like him and me who are gentle talkers.

you can be right about bombay and poona but i believe my friend about delhi... in fact, that is my old understanding too from various non-direct sources.

they must think it is manly to talk in aggressive manner.
agree, they seem to think that being a little sophisticated hurts their down under. on the other hand thoh, the ones who are second generation educated (by that i mean their fathers were also educated) are much cultured while talking to ppl coming from diffrenet parts of the country, but when they talk to each other, they return to "tu-tadak".

but i would say, all this aggression surely contributes to existence in haryana of khap panchayats.
dunno about that. panchayats in villages are less about imparting fair decisions and acting more to preserve the patriarchal BS present in our society since ages.

and imagine, if a bunch of them landed up in usa or iceland and spoke in the same manner as in gurgaon... will they be tolerated?? :)
lol.....i m dying to see that altercation.
haryanvi jat vs texan red neck

i only said that my friend found aggression and quarrelsome attitude in delhi... i never said that in south india are only found great conversationalists but my friend was talking about people like him and me who are gentle talkers.

you can be right about bombay and poona but i believe my friend about delhi... in fact, that is my old understanding too from various non-direct sources.

Who said anything about south India? I'm only saying that your friend is totally wrong about the average joe in Delhi using tu more than aap. Your friend's observations are plain wrong.

adjust to delhi's standards of varying arrogants and rudes?? :lol:

huzoor, think before writing and don't justify "blame the victim" mentality.

people should be gentle and polite, whether in delhi or in madras... or exit the world.

Have you even been to Delhi? Just sitting in some south Indian town commenting about Delhi as if you are expert? Again I am repeating, The problem is with your friend, because the kind of generalist argument he has used clearly shows his complacency. Having said that, Delhi is not for everyone. Some people should stick to their owns with gentle talks and keep talking gentle till their death bed in their own town. Better not visit Delhi if you can't behave properly.

Hame to Koi Invitation bhi nahi deta milne ke liye jab main pune aun.

@vsdoc

Of course you are invited too bro. If you are coming to Pune please let me know.

I agree wholeheartedly with @Bombaywalla

Tu and tere ko is very common in Pune and Mumbai.

My dad is a Kanpur born Lucknow educated man who has lived his whole working life in Jamshedpur. For a bawa, he has excellent Hindi takes great pride in it.

He is understandably mortified by bambaiyya Hindi. And makes fun of all and sundry. Batata, kaanda, ek aakkha do ardha, etc. etc. Its legion in our household.

Does not mean we are being rude or less than courteous.

When we are rude and less than courteous, the one in front is seldom left in any doubt.

My Hindi was great too as long as I was a Bihari. In college too, with so many North Indian and Punjabi friends.

But then I got married and became a Puneri resident versus a migrant student.

That was the beginning of the end.

Last edited:
I too from pune

@vsdoc, @nstorm, @ravi kiran

Chalo great. We will start a thread one of these days and plan a get together. Seems to be a sizeable crowd.

Each of us will take a printout of his/her Profile page with the DP and the ID and safety pin it to his/her pocket. :D

And since Webbie or Aero will not be around, this will include ALL IDs, active and past. :angel:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom