What's new

What do Sindhis want?

niaz

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This is an all Pakistan forum and I thought an idea of what our smaller provinces want would be a good topic for discussion. It is of course clear that the opinion and research is of an idividual. Neverheless it gives some insight to a Sindhi way of thinking.

What do Sindhis want?

By Bina Shah

THE one common thread in all the correspondence I received in response to my article, ‘Respecting Sindh’ (published on June 2), was that education should be made the foremost priority in the entire province.

This is a view shared by urban and rural Sindhis alike. Those who make decisions in and for Sindh would do well to heed the desires of both educated and uneducated Sindhis as the latter’s ignorance should not keep them from identifying the key to the doors of opportunity for their children.

There is a saying amongst the people of the interior: “education can help a blind man see”. It also has another version: “education is the third eye.” Surprisingly, in a study conducted by the Sindh Education Foundation, a villager demonstrated much wisdom. “Education differentiates humans from animals,” he said. Are these words from ignorant, unenlightened people or from the poorest in Sindh who may have never learnt to read or write, but continue to desire a different destiny for their children?

An equal number of readers showed their displeasure at what they took to be my so-called defence of piri-muridi and feudalism. I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry, or bang my head against a wall at the fact that my message was so badly misunderstood by my compatriots. Rather than defend a defunct, corrupt system, I had said that these systems must be thoroughly and honestly evaluated for their strengths and weaknesses in their historical context. It would be ridiculous to suggest that these systems remain unchanged for an eternity. Furthermore, what eventually happens to these systems is up to the people of Sindh, not me. Change will come if people truly desire it, but as long as they continue to criticise from afar and do nothing about the status quo, nothing will happen. If we Sindhis want to see progress in our province, we are going to have to work for it.

However, what is clear is the fact that Sindhis have indulged in such dialogues amongst themselves for decades, but few have listened. What I found in most letters I received was a sense of frustration that vital issues — education, healthy, security, political equality — have long plagued the province, and yet they are given negligible priority at the national level. Sindh is as lost as Atlantis, a modern-day Forgotten Land; an infinite source of revenue for the centre that never receives anything in equal measure.

I had posed a question: what do Sindhis want? And decided to address and answer it in this essay. I therefore emailed this question to all Sindhis who wished to respond. The answers were more telling than anything I could ever write. I will share some of the responses with you, so that this article does not merely expound upon my own ideas, but represents the voices of many.

The first response is a quote from an extremely eloquent letter sent to me by journalist Naween Mangi, who has spent many years reporting from all corners of Sindh. “… disenfranchised, desperately poor, and presently starving Sindhis want … very few things. They want homes; the majority of villagers sleep on baking open grounds. They want water; even in villages where there is plentiful sweet water just seventy feet below the ground, there is no access to it. They want healthcare, where government BHUs stand crumbling and non-functional. They want toilets, where thousands of women are forced to use the fields and disease among children is widespread. And they want schools, not more money for poorly run government schools, but an education that will actually get them jobs.”

Ms Mangi, who is running the Ali Hasan Mangi Memorial Trust, which hopes to work in a single village to establish a model that will address education, health, community empowerment, sanitation, water and housing, adds: “While feudals may have done great things in the past, it is not untrue that many of them have kept their people suppressed beyond humanity. I have met and spent time with dozens of third generation bonded labourers in Thar….Even in more ‘moderate’ districts like Larkana, efforts to set up schools and promote education and openness among people are not taken well by the landlords… moreover, these waderas (feudals) who have both influence and financial means, have done little to provide basic infrastructure or even motivate communities for self-help.”

Dr Shivkumar Israni from Mumbai, a Sindhi Hindu doctor whose parents migrated after Partition, said: “It is sad to read the plight of Sindhis in today’s Sindh in Pakistan. Although in India, Sindhis don’t have a separate state, through their sheer hard work and dedication, they have done exceedingly well. Today, so many educational institutions including colleges, leading hospitals and businesses belong to Sindhi Hindus who came to India after Partition. In fact, many are also known for philanthropy.”

These are just two opinions, but it’s clear that given the right circumstances, Sindhis can achieve tremendous success. So why have we in Sindh allowed our self-esteem to be destroyed, accepted the lowest position in society, allowed the powerful few to triumph at the expense of the weakened many? When are we going to stop blaming others for our plight when it is obvious that we find the status quo more comfortable than change and progress?

I end my columns with a question because I think it is time we Sindhis started looking to ourselves for answers.

The writer is a Pakistani novelist.
binashah@yahoo.com

DAWN - Opinion; June 17, 2008

As a resident of Sindh province, i want,
A) Abolition of Quota system.
2) Equality in jobs and places in educational systems for urban and rural Sindhi(ie based on merit)
3) Sindhi be taught as an additional language to all students to HSC level and an exam at HSC level. in Sindhi.
4) Electronic recordings and regularisation of land holdings for all agricultural/residential holdings and Tax on agricultural incomes.
5) Just and equitable solution of water distribution to all provinces.
6)(MY PET PERSONAL DEMAND) All provinces broken down to divisional structures and have equal representations in the Senate for all dicvisions.
That should set the cat amongst the pigeons.Guys what do you think?
Araz

2) Equality in jobs and places in educational systems for urban and rural Sindhi(ie based on merit)
3) Sindhi be taught as an additional language to all students to HSC level and an exam at HSC level. in Sindhi.
4) Electronic recordings and regularisation of land holdings for all agricultural/residential holdings and Tax on agricultural incomes.
6)(MY PET PERSONAL DEMAND) All provinces broken down to divisional structures and have equal representations in the Senate for all dicvisions.
Araz

Araz,

What is this quota system ? I thought only Indians has tied themselves in this knot.

Araz

Completely agree with all of the points.

I am a little confused about #3 - are you saying that the examinations in all subjects should be held in Sindhi, or just the examination for subjects like the Sindhi language, Pakistan Studies, Islamic Studies etc.?

The former I do not support. I would rather that the entire country get on the same page with curriculum for the sciences and mathematics in English, but the latter I see no issue with.

On #6 - how large are divisions in general? How many in Sindh for example? Creating more administrative units in some form or another is something I strongly support, and I was a little disappointed that nothing of the sort has been even broached by the new coalition government.

Cactus: Yeah, we have quotas to, much maligned.

However in a country with great divides between the haves and the havenots, I am not certain that removing them entirely is a good idea.

Restructuring them might be a better solution in the interim. Quotas for Baloch for example need to be kept, or even increased.

Completely agree with all of the points.

I am a little confused about #3 - are you saying that the examinations in all subjects should be held in Sindhi, or just the examination for subjects like the Sindhi language, Pakistan Studies, Islamic Studies etc.?

The former I do not support. I would rather that the entire country get on the same page with curriculum for the sciences and mathematics in English, but the latter I see no issue with.

On #6 - how large are divisions in general? How many in Sindh for example? Creating more administrative units in some form or another is something I strongly support, and I was a little disappointed that nothing of the sort has been even broached by the new coalition government.

Cactus: Yeah, we have quotas to, much maligned.

However in a country with great divides between the haves and the havenots, I am not certain that removing them entirely is a good idea.

Restructuring them might be a better solution in the interim. Quotas for Baloch for example need to be kept, or even increased.
Sorry Agno.
I should have been a little bit clearer. In point 3 I meant teaching the language and having examinations in it. Sindhi, like all our regional languages is culturally quite rich and it is a fear expressed by many Sindhis that education in Urdu will result in loss of their cultural heritage. I think all regional languages should be compulsarily taught in Pakistan and no restrictions shouldbe placed. So In Sindh if I want to Learn Punjabi or Pushto , the facility should be there.
I think the country is already divided in Divisions, and there are 21 Divisions in Pakistan. Karachi is a division, as is Hyderabad. There are 4 Div in Sindh. As far as administrative setup is concerned, It is easily done as the Divisional Nazim could assume most of the responsibilities and local governance could be more effectivelyadministered. The National assembly should be population based as now. However, i believe that Senate should have equal representation from all division so that nobody feels let down. I dont think it will translate into any significant financial outlay. If you wanted to iron things out one could ally 2 divisions ie Karachi and Multan(for example) where Karachi will let Multan have a proportion of its revenues for its infra structure support for say 6-8 yrs.
Interestingly, if you talk to the Local Politically orientated Sindhis even though they are all in agreement that Punjab is the root cause of all evil in Pakistan, the moment you talk about Governance at Divisional level, they will start trying to find faults with the idea.:lol:
I have so far not heard of any convincing argument against governance at Divisional level. Certainly it clears up all the little voices crying oppression.
WaSalam
Araz

Since the article evokes the example of a Sindhi Hindu whose parents migrated to Mumbaï in 1947, let me give you a counter-example...

While in Karachi this summer, I stumbled upon people of a Hindu community living around the Guru Mandir/Pir Ilahi Bux colony area of the city, the amazing fact being that these people (all of them Sindhi/Rajhastani Hindus) MIGRATED FROM INDIA TO PAKISTAN in 1947. To them this was the freer country and they had a better chance here. The person telling me that was a lawyer from the community.

Last edited:
Araz

i 100% agree this

but if they do this who the go to election to people political system who's run without pablic isues:enjoy:

Araz

I do agree with your points except number 1. Abolition of quota system might hurt smaller provinces at this moment. We need to bring them at part with other provinces in terms of education and then abolish it.

Sindhi and all other regional languages should be taught as a non compulsory additional subject.

Araz bhai!
I think this point is debatable because all the Sindhis in Sindh are not sindhi speaking, there is a very big Urdu speaking community so it can be slightly difficult because we have been hearing one point of making Karachi and adjacent areas as a separate province over the years so this might not be acceptable for urdu speaking community to adopt sindhi as their language.

Regards

Last edited:
Araz bhai!
I think this point is debatable because all the Sindhis in Sindh are not sindhi speaking, there is a very big Urdu speaking community so it can be slightly difficult because we have been hearing one point of making Karachi and adjacent areas as a separate province over the areas so this might not be acceptable for urdu speaking community to adopt sindhi as their language.

Regards

Salman
My brother I was born in Hyderabad Sindh and have lived n arachi since 1966.The point I am trying to make is that irrespective of being English or not we learn French and Spanish in UK. You are allowed to take Arabic as a language if you want. The Mohajir community has been the major culprits in not having taken our Sindhi brothers along. The least we can do if wehave come to live on land where they live isto learn their language and by the same token nvite them to learn our language. After all all Mohajirs that landedd in Punjab ended up speaking Punjabi. My uncle settled in Peshawar and speaks Pushto like a native as does his Son. It is time we(Mohajirs) gave up our "holier than thou "attitude and got down to nation building. it is a sacrifice and a pleasant one that we all have to make.
WaSalam
Araz

Well In Karachi 95% not know how to speaks SINDHI
Majority is Urdu Speaking

one idea :D

Make a new province Includes ( Karachi, Hyderabad , Hub ) .

Well Sindi Speaking Peoples gots all the Jobs on Government Sector . Not Urdu Speaking Peoples

no more prob in my poor pakistan i think one unit is ok for us

Sorry for the necromancy, but what kind of quotas do you guys have? Who are they supposed to benefit?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom