What's new

What are the similarities/differences of Bengali peoples in Bangladesh vs India

Though a Non-Bengali

The difference that i find between Dhaka & Calcutta are
dialect Bangladeshi Bengali's speak with a more rural accent ,while their Indian counterpart speak a more urbanized accent , Dhaka People are either rich,very rich or are downward poor (though now their is some assemble of a middle class) , contrary to this in Calcutta it is a much more balanced one , where you have a very large share of middle class ,upper middle class & lower middle class & then poor (but not downward poor) , in Dhaka you have restaurant's a'lot of restaurant's but they are all very expensive & not for all , contrary to this , Calcutta has restaurant's but they are not that expensive & many can eat there , & then Calcutta has a very vibrant street food culture where , people both from an middle class familes to a poor's can eat & eat well ( Calcutta , after all is known as the city of joy ) Dhaka is obviously more clean no doubt about it , but with an tense atmosphere of stress , Calcutta on the other hand is not very clean in fact , its a bit on the dirty side , but the atmosphere is nonetheless one which is much more relaxing & comfortable , Roads in Calcutta are not very clean ,Roads in Dhaka on the contrary are cleaner but , Dhaka all also has a very severe traffic jam problem , Calcutta also has a very vibrant night life for all ,be it middle class or lower middle class Calcutta hardly sleeps , don't know about Dhaka's night life though , so cant say

Mostly correct, only one issue - your memory of Kolkata is probably that of 90's when you last visited Kolkata? Kolkata was made a lot cleaner since, while it's still not anywhere near global standard but there's been improvement. Read this article in Daily Star - Dhaka vs Kolkata | The Daily Star

Kolkata also has a very rich class but they mostly not Bengalis, I think Bangladeshis managed to decode the key to success in business while Indian Bengalis still in search of their own entrepreneur class. Here in states also, I see lot of Bangladeshish doing great in albeit small time businesses while Indian Bengalis mostly compromised of Engineers, Doctors, MBAs, scholars.

Mostly correct, only one issue - your memory of Kolkata is probably that of 90's when you last visited Kolkata? Kolkata was made a lot cleaner since, while it's still not anywhere near global standard but there's been improvement. Read this article in Daily Star - Dhaka vs Kolkata | The Daily Star

Kolkata also has a very rich class but they mostly not Bengalis, I think Bangladeshis managed to decode the key to success in business while Indian Bengalis still in search of their own entrepreneur class. Here in states also, I see lot of Bangladeshish doing great in albeit small time businesses while Indian Bengalis mostly compromised of Engineers, Doctors, MBAs, scholars.

mate you took my post emotionally , Read : again

Dhaka People are either rich,very rich or are downward poor (though now their is some assemble of a middle class) , contrary to this in Calcutta it is a much more balanced one , where you have a very large share of middle class ,upper middle class & lower middle class & then poor (but not downward poor) , in Dhaka you have restaurant's a'lot of restaurant's but they are all very expensive & not for all , contrary to this , Calcutta has restaurant's but they are not that expensive & many can eat there , & then Calcutta has a very vibrant street food culture where , people both from an middle class families to a poor's can eat & eat well ( Calcutta , after all is known as the city of joy ) Dhaka is obviously more clean no doubt about it , but with an tense atmosphere of stress , Calcutta on the other hand is not very clean in fact , its a bit on the dirty side , but the atmosphere is nonetheless one which is much more relaxing & comfortable , Roads in Calcutta are not very clean ,Roads in Dhaka on the contrary are cleaner but , Dhaka all also has a very severe traffic jam problem ,

so now you see mate , you took my positive post negatively ,where by i highlighted that Calcutta is a city for all rich , poor ,middle class upper middle class , while in Dhaka you either have people who are rich or you a have people who are downward poor (that's a depressing sight ) & that is why i wrote in Dhaka the atmosphere is of tense & stress while in Calcutta its much more relaxing & comfortable in other words i clearly stated Calcutta is better of the two albeit diplomatically , obviously i have to choose my words carefully , or else you know better then i do ,what type of a sh!t storm i will face here (& i added the word rich now, but really of all i din't expect you to take my post so negatively & completely opposite to what i meant)

Last edited:
mate you took my post emotionally , Read : again

so now you see mate , you took my positive post negatively ,where by i highlighted that Calcutta is a city for all rich , poor ,middle class upper middle class , while in Dhaka you either have people who are rich or you a have people who are downward poor (that s depressing sight ) & that is why i wrote in Dhaka the atmosphere is of tense & stress while in Calcutta its much more relaxing & comfortable in other words i clearly stated Calcutta is better of the two albeit diplomatically , obviously i have to choose my words carefully , or else you know better then i do ,what type of a sh!t storm i will face here (& i added the word rich now, but really of all i din't expect you to take my post so negatively & completely opposite to what i meant

by the way last i was there two years ago , my mom is indian & a very pro India anti-pak-bd @ that one at that iam half bihari half indian
No no, rather you were pretty accurate, i was trying to describe the difference between super rich of kol and dhaka like dhaka has managed to grow a class of bengali businessmen while most businessmen in kol are still marwaris . Dont be afraid of shitstroms and dont be diplomatic!

No no, rather you were pretty accurate, i was trying to describe the difference between super rich of kol and dhaka like dhaka has managed to grow a class of bengali businessmen while most businessmen in kol are still marwaris . Dont be afraid of shitstroms and dont be diplomatic!
but I clearly wrote besides all the dirty & what not, Calcutta is better of the two ,hey new york is dirty but that doesn't mean its poor, i know merwaris bro they are crorepatis (kala dhan ka kings) dhaka guys are narrow minded all they see is coti takar bari are lakh takar gadi while they completly ignore the poor , they eat inside high restaurants while many poor look from the outside its cruel to praise something so sick like that , in Calcutta there are food for everybody heck , i myself love rasta ka bhuna ghost , dhaba ka tadka & kati roll much more then anything dhaka can offer

Last edited:
Nobody tagged me here either, but then again I don't have much experience with Indian Bengalis. I would like to know the difference in cuisine preparation and general use of spices and other ingredients. I used to work at a store/mini-restuarant in Queens. It was owned by an Indian family from Delhi, they were very friendly and it was a decent job. My family got along with there's and we decided to offer them food as gift during my boss' birthday. At first they were hesitant but, really liked it once they gave it a try. Later, they state it was far superior to the Bengali cuisine that West Bengalis made. Now, when I provided the same service to my Indian American friends they all agreed that our cuisine was better. Just curious, are there any certain differences that result in this difference?

They speak Bangla (Bengali)

I don't want to comment on other points,But I can comment on this...

Bengali Language has 4 Major dialect(It depends whether it is 4 or 6 or more based on various experts' work) Regions

These are-
Rarh, Banga, Kamarupa and Varendra.But every regions consists multiple dialects

In West Bengal,Rarh and its modernized variation(What they call "Dialects of people living next to the Ganges) are popular.But there are also Manbhum Bengal.

In Bangladesh,their bengali comes under Varendra dialect regions and mainly 2 dialects-Eastern andouth Eastern(under which Mymensingh,Sylhet,Chittagong etc comes) and South Bengal Dialects(Chuadanga,Jessore etc)

These dialects are massive and most people doesn't understand some if not most of others.A person who specks Rurh Bengal will possibly hardly understand a single word spoken in Chittagong Bengali or Bengali from Purulia(which comes under Manbhum).

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
Suffice to say I'm not an expert on this, though I would like to see your comparison. Maybe you can show that to me for, inspiration?

there are a few diffrences i came across when i deu to bieng in retail buisness have met many bangladeshies and indian bongolies

bangladeshies are a bit intorvert type while indian bongolies think they are the best and often want to show the world about there supiriorty even where its not required

bangladeshies speak bengali with a very easy manner while indian bongolies try to proove there sueriorty in language with excessive use of alphabet "o" intead of "a" and sometimes overstrech it during conversation

bangladeshies i have met are clear & proud about there relgeon and indian bongolies are confused about it

Back
Top Bottom