What's new

What are the 'Must Read' books about Pakistan?

no worries :) thanks
hope you're fine!

if you had to choose between

Resistance and Control in Pakistan
by Akbar S. Ahmed (August 26, 2004)

or

The Thistle and the Drone: How America's War on Terror Became a Global War on Tribal Islam
by Akbar Ahmed (March 11, 2013)

which would it be?

I'm fine thank you....how are you ? :)

It would depend really - As I understand both try to make sense about the US War on Terror & the reaction to that in the Muslim World....I hear that the 'Thistle and the Drone' is packed with case-studies so it may serve as being more empirical than most books out there seeing that Akbar S Ahmed is an Anthropologist !

The other book - Resistance & Control in Pakistan - isn't something that I've read though it may explore the topic more from a Pakistani perspective !

I'd go for the Thistle and the Drone but thats just me...though I dunno how either would be relevant in the context of Pakistan's Foreign Policy !

I'm fine thank you....how are you ? :)

It would depend really - As I understand both try to make sense about the US War on Terror & the reaction to that in the Muslim World....I hear that the 'Thistle and the Drone' is packed with case-studies so it may serve as being more empirical than most books out there seeing that Akbar S Ahmed is an Anthropologist !

The other book - Resistance & Control in Pakistan - isn't something that I've read though it may explore the topic more from a Pakistani perspective !

I'd go for the Thistle and the Drone but thats just me...though I dunno how either would be relevant in the context of Pakistan's Foreign Policy !

I'm fine thanks for asking :)
well... for Foreign Policy I think I'm getting

Pakistan's Foreign Policy: A Reappraisal (Oxford Pakistan Paperbacks)
by Shahid M. Amin
and / or
Pakistan's Foreign Policy 1947-2012: A Concise History by Abdul Sattar

and the one by Akbar Ahmed would help me not precisely for Foreign Policy chapter but for the part about FATA ...

actually I still don't understand how FATA and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa work... I mean ...are they the same? but FATA isnt part of the province? :S

I'm fine thanks for asking :)
well... for Foreign Policy I think I'm getting
Pakistan's Foreign Policy: A Reappraisal (Oxford Pakistan Paperbacks) by Shahid M. Amin
and / or
Pakistan's Foreign Policy 1947-2012: A Concise History by Abdul Sattar

and the one by Akbar Ahmed would help me not precisely for Foreign Policy chapter but for the part about FATA ...

actually I still don't understand how FATA and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa work... I mean ...are they the same? but FATA isnt part of the province? :S

FATA and KPK (Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa) aren't the same ! :o:

FATA is a semi-autonomous area directly administered by the Federal Government made up of different Tribal Agencies.

FATA - Official Web Portal

Federally Administered Tribal Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whereas KPK is a Province of Pakistan !

The only similarity between the two is that both are inhabited predominantly by Pukhtoons (Pashtuns) !

Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa- Official Web Portal

The above two Government pages have a 'History' section for KPK & FATA respectively !

If you want a first-hand account you could always talk to @farhan_9909 @Spring Onion @Hyperion @EyanKhan @TaimiKhan - They're either natives of FATA or KPK or both ! :)

FATA and KPK (Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa) aren't the same ! :o:

FATA is a semi-autonomous area directly administered by the Federal Government made up of different Tribal Agencies.

FATA - Official Web Portal

Federally Administered Tribal Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whereas KPK is a Province of Pakistan !

The only similarity between the two is that both are inhabited predominantly by Pukhtoons (Pashtuns) !

Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa- Official Web Portal

The above two Government pages have a 'History' section for KPK & FATA respectively !

If you want a first-hand account you could always talk to @farhan_9909 @Spring Onion @Hyperion @EyanKhan @TaimiKhan - They're either natives of FATA or KPK or both ! :)

ooh uupss hehehe thanks !!! :D will definitely check it out
but why is Peshawar capital of both??
that's what makes me go cou-cou

ooh uupss hehehe thanks !!! :D will definitely check it out
but why is Peshawar capital of both??
that's what makes me go cou-cou

Peshawar isn't the Capital of both ! :o:

Peshawar is the capital of KPK only !

FATA has no capital - Each agency within FATA has a main town where the Political Agent (the Government's Rep) is based.

The only confusion could be that the Governor of KPK also overlooks FATA on behalf of the Federal Government !

You went cou-cou because you're a fake Latina Senorita....the whole world knows that true Senoritas are from Brazil ! :p: :bunny:

You went cou-cou because you're a fake Latina Senorita....the whole world knows that true Senoritas are from Brazil ! :p: :bunny:

why are brasileñas the true señoritas?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :offpost:

Peshawar isn't the Capital of both ! :o:

Peshawar is the capital of KPK only !

FATA has no capital - Each agency within FATA has a main town where the Political Agent (the Government's Rep) is based.

The only confusion could be that the Governor of KPK also overlooks FATA on behalf of the Federal Government !

haha putting aside the mini heart attack you just gave me with that brasileñas thing

... FATA gives me real headaches... sometimes i see maps and there is no fata... some others there it is...
im so narrow minded in these stuff :( are there two fatas? like Kashmir or Gilgit part of FATA?

why are brasileñas the true señoritas?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :offpost:

'Cause Brazil is the Greatest Footballing Nation in the World ! :smokin:

I'm sure Brazilian Ladies Football team could defeat the Mexican Ladies Football team ! :p:

Come to think of it I think both Mexican & Brazilian Ladies Football teams could defeat Pakistani Men's Football team ! :o: :ashamed: :cray:

haha putting aside the mini heart attack you just gave me with that brasileñas thing

... FATA gives me real headaches... sometimes i see maps and there is no fata... some others there it is...
im so narrow minded in these stuff :( are there two fatas? like Kashmir or Gilgit part of FATA?

Then I'm going to give you yet another headache there is also PATA - Provincially Administered Tribal Areas ! :lol:

There is only one FATA made up of a couple of Agencies - I think with South Waziristan being on one end & Upper Dir being the last one !

'Cause Brazil is the Greatest Footballing Nation in the World ! :smokin:

I'm sure Brazilian Ladies Football team could defeat the Mexican Ladies Football team ! :p:

Come to think of it I think both Mexican & Brazilian Ladies Football teams could defeat Pakistani Men's Football team ! :o: :ashamed: :cray:

ahh that sense... yea haha they kick our *** ... hi5

ahh that sense... yea haha they kick our *** ... hi5

Then there is that other thing of Mexican women being Chubby Cows while Brazilian women being slim & smart ! :whistle:

Just Kidding ! :p:

Then I'm going to give you yet another headache there is also PATA - Provincially Administered Tribal Areas ! :lol:

There is only one FATA made up of a couple of Agencies - I think with South Waziristan being on one end & Upper Dir being the last one !

oh-oh
you left me speechless...
have to turn on Robot Mode for me to start studying all these

Then there is that other thing of Mexican women being Chubby Cows while Brazilian women being slim & smart ! :whistle:

Just Kidding ! :p:

WHAT !
:( that hurts my feelings

WHAT !
:( that hurts my feelings

I'm just messing with you ! :D

I haven't really met either a Mexican or a Brazilian yet ! :(

The only latinos that I've met are from Peru, Chile, Argentina & Puerto Rico ! :unsure:

I'm just messing with you ! :D

I haven't really met either a Mexican or a Brazilian yet ! :(

The only latinos that I've met are from Peru, Chile, Argentina & Puerto Rico ! :unsure:

haha i was actually feeling sad but then i remembered Mexico is ranked as number one in obesity (both... adult and children)

are u living in the US? or are those latinos living in Pakistan?!

haha i was actually feeling sad but then i remembered Mexico is ranked as number one in obesity (both... adult and children)

I was only joking....I didn't mean to make you feel sad ! :(

are u living in the US? or are those latinos living in Pakistan?!

I'm living in Pakistan ! :smokin:

I met a few of them when I visited the US & 2-3 of them are living here in Pakistan ! :)

I was only joking....I didn't mean to make you feel sad ! :(

I'm living in Pakistan ! :smokin:

I met a few of them when I visited the US & 2-3 of them are living here in Pakistan ! :)

aww that's ok ...we're obese haha
ohhh! Latinos in Pakistan!! that's great... when latinos are abroad we're so friendly to each other :angel:

working or studying?? and btw what are good universities in Punjab?

Malala book? LOL

yea yea i know.. but they are selling it! i had to buy it ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom