What's new

Western Radar/Grifo-E selected for JF-17?

Akh1112

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
So, im sure you have all seen the poster at the PAC Kamra stand at the Dubai Airshow. On the poster, they mention they produce AESA radars, the photo of the radar is interesting. It looks nothing like either of the Chinese Radars for the JF-17 and actually looks more like a Grifo-E(antenna wise). What do you think?

poster:
PAC-Dubai-Air-Show-2019-2.jpg

now, look at the antenna on the radar.

compare it with this, the LKF601E.
images.jpg

Here is the KLJ-7A

0_MxTbBaZNnGch19m3_.jpg

This is the model of the KLJ-7A with the side arrays, the mechanically steered one has a similar antenna too.

Compare all of these with the Grifo-E on a Leonardo M346.
grifo_e_video.jpg

So, im sure you have all seen the poster at the PAC Kamra stand at the Dubai Airshow. On the poster, they mention they produce AESA radars, the photo of the radar is interesting. It looks nothing like either of the Chinese Radars for the JF-17 and actually looks more like a Grifo-E(antenna wise). What do you think?

poster:
View attachment 592006

View attachment 592007

Here is the KLJ-7A

View attachment 592008

This is the model of the KLJ-7A with the side arrays, the mechanically steered one has a similar antenna too.

View attachment 592009
@HRK @Dazzler @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @LKJ86 @Trailer23

poster:
View attachment 592006

View attachment 592007

Here is the KLJ-7A

View attachment 592008
Too unclear to say something definitive.

View attachment 592009
That is a bit of a reach, in my humble opinion.
Clearly mentioned that it is indigenous and in as much there can be any variation on looks in the local design.
I doubt Leonardo will be allowed to share their TRM's with a Pakistani design. This locally designed AESA is more likely to be made with the assistance of the Chinese rather than the Leonardo people.

But I could be wrong.

poster:
View attachment 592006

View attachment 592007

Here is the KLJ-7A

View attachment 592008

View attachment 592009
its almost confirmed that JF-17 block-3 will have Chinese KLJ-7A, but may be for Export it will equipped with Grifo-E for some coustomers , if costumer ask, bro

Clearly mentioned that it is indigenous and in as much there can be any variation on looks in the local design.
I doubt Leonardo will be allowed to share their TRM's with a Pakistani design. This locally designed AESA is more likely to be made with the assistance of the Chinese rather than the Leonardo people.

But I could be wrong.
or this option for some export customers

But I could be wrong.

I am basing it off of the fact that PAC manufactures radars, specifically for the JF-17, i dont see indigenous, but i might just be missing it lol. However, i guess you can also say that because it may be manufactured at Kamra, it counts as indigenous. Leonardo and Pakistan/PAC have a long history and work together, the Falco/Burraq is produced by us and is a licensed design of the Falco, i assume the older Grifo's in service with mirage/J7 are also manufactured by PAC but are of Italian design.

its almost confirmed that JF-17 block-3 will have Chinese KLJ-7A, but may be for Export it will equipped with Grifo-E for some coustomers , if costumer ask, bro

or this option for some export customers

I dont think it has been confirmed, i am just speculating though. However, it wouldnt make sense for us to export the better variant, besides, it would mean export controls. However, what i can see is Chinese radars being used as a kind of MLU update for block I and II variants with the higher end solution being used on the III

Ma'am @messiach has confirmed that the AESA is being built locally with assistance from outside. Which most likely, in my opinion, are the Chinese. No western source would want to help Pakistan in an in-house AESA development venture.

I am basing it off of the fact that PAC manufactures radars, specifically for the JF-17, i dont see indigenous, but i might just be missing it lol.
It says on the poster "Strengthening National Defense Through Self-Reliance" and it also says on the poster "Products".

Ma'am @messiach has confirmed that the AESA is being built with locally with assistance from outside. Which most likely, in my opinion, are the Chinese. No western source would want to help Pakistan in an in-house AESA development venture.

Sir :P*

Also, as i said this is purely speculation, however, i am interested in knowing where he has got his information from, whether it is even credible, considering it is being passed on as fact. Also, Pakistan and Italy have great defense ties, as i said, Selex/Leonardo have been working with Pakistan for a long time and have great relations, we have had visits from their CEO and they have set up an office in Islamabad. I cannot see a single reason for Selex not partnering up with PAC considering these things would also be ITAR free so there wouldnt be any sanctions/export controls preventing transfer.

Ma'am @messiach has confirmed that the AESA is being built locally with assistance from outside. Which most likely, in my opinion, are the Chinese. No western source would want to help Pakistan in an in-house AESA development venture.

It says on the poster "Strengthening National Defense Through Self-Reliance" and it also says on the poster "Products".

But the JF-17 is a joint venture, the MALE UAV uses foreign parts, for example, PAC signed a MoU with Havelsan form mission computers etc.

Leonardo and Pakistan/PAC have a long history and work together, the Falco/Burraq is produced by us and is a licensed design of the Falco, i assume the older Grifo's in service with mirage/J7 are also manufactured by PAC but are of Italian design.

Also, as i said this is purely speculation, however, i am interested in knowing where he has got his information from, whether it is even credible, considering it is being passed on as fact. Also, Pakistan and Italy have great defense ties, as i said, Selex/Leonardo have been working with Pakistan for a long time and have great relations, we have had visits from their CEO and they have set up an office in Islamabad. I cannot see a single reason for Selex not partnering up with PAC considering these things would also be ITAR free so there wouldnt be any sanctions/export controls preventing transfer.
In my humble opinion, you should first find out who ma'am Messiach is before questioning her source.
You are new to the forum, the onus is on you to do a little digging.

In my humble opinion, you should first find out who ma'am Messiach is before questioning her source.
You are new to the forum, the onus is on you to do a little digging.

as i said, i am only speculating lol, i am absolutely new to the forum but i do have an idea of what i am talking about. I do not know who the person you are referring to is, it is normal to question the source as it is being portrayed as fact whereas i as i said am speculating. I am not doubting anyone's credibility but will remain wary until i am informed otherwise. As far as i am aware, there has not been any leaks/confirmation as to what radar will be equipping the III.

But the JF-17 is a joint venture, the MALE UAV uses foreign parts, for example, PAC signed a MoU with Havelsan form mission computers etc.
I think there is a world of difference in stakes and importance where a force multiplier like an AESA radar is concerned. Also I doubt, Grifo-E will be compatible with Chinese BVR munitions.

I think there is a world of difference in stakes and importance where a force multiplier like an AESA radar is concerned.

but i still dont understand how you are saying no western firms would co-operate when Leonardo has been.

I dont think it has been confirmed, i am just speculating though. However, it wouldnt make sense for us to export the better variant, besides, it would mean export controls. However, what i can see is Chinese radars being used as a kind of MLU update for block I and II variants with the higher end solution being used on the III
Most probably this option for export costumers, which will not like/satisfied KLJ-7A or LFK performance, JF-17 has capability to carry and utilized western armaments because its have open system architecture (1753 data bus) but US/West wont allow Pakistan to carry and Utilized western weapons from JF-17, so least Chance we will get western AESA for JF-17 Block-3
as for upgrades of older block-1/2 LFK is the option because it is air cooled and consume less power as compare to KLJ-7A

Back
Top Bottom