What's new

West Papua 'becoming a hunting ground' as Indonesian forces open fire on student protesters

Place Of Space

Reaction score
Country
China
1606288981155.png

More than a dozen university students have been injured in an incident in the Papuan capital, Jayapura, with witnesses claiming Indonesian troops opened fire to disperse a peaceful rally.
UPDATEDUPDATED 28/10/2020
BY VIRGINIA LANGEBERG
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

A young man has been severely beaten and a dozen other students injured after Indonesian security forces opened fire on a university rally in the Papuan capital, Jayapura.
Months of fresh demonstrations have gripped the region as thousands of Indigenous West Papuans renew calls for an independence referendum amid a deadly crackdown in the Indonesian-ruled provinces.
Some 13 university students were injured in Jayapura on Tuesday, with victims and witnesses claiming Indonesian troops opened fire to disperse a peaceful rally of about 20 people.

READ MORE
People gather as shops burn in the background during a protest in Wamena on 23 September.

The history behind Papua's resurgent political turmoil

Benny Wenda, from the Liberation Movement of West Papua, said Indonesia was imposing martial law.
"These were live rounds,” Mr Wenda said. “West Papua is becoming more of a hunting ground by special forces.”
Indonesia’s control of the provinces has long been a cause of tension among Indigenous locals with low-level conflict and independence movements simmering for decades.
Despite a heavy military presence in the region and the threat of COVID-19, demonstrations calling for an independence referendum reignited in July.
It came after hundreds of thousands rallied in August and September of 2019, only to be silenced by a flood of more armed troops.

READ MORE
The mounting death toll of West Papua’s latest escalation in violence has seen Australia being pressured to take a stronger stance.

Australia urged to take stronger stance on curbing West Papua bloodshed

It’s estimated up to 70,000 people have been displaced and 250 killed in the past two years of violence.
Victor Yeimo from the West Papua National Committee said action would continue.
“Our message is very clear, West Papuan people need a political solution,” Mr Yeimo said. “We're calling on our Melanesian and Pacific leaders to upgrade its resolution to get the people of West Papua free from the colony of power.”
For West Papuan refugees who fled to Papua New Guinea in the 1970s, there's still hope they will one day be able to return.
“We will stay in PNG for the rest of our life, or if West Papua independence is decided, we go back to our home,” said Olof Wayabgkau, who fled Jayapura in 1975.
SBS News contacted the Indonesian embassies in Sydney and Canberra but did not receive a response.

Our Indonesian bros don't mention this news at ending of last month. We almost have no idea of this breaking news. Never too late to get know what happened here.

Whatever internal or external, we need to know better of the world.
Agreed. But I don't see Chinese members getting all excited.

Agreed. But I don't see Chinese members getting all excited.

Nah, we would like to get more information. Not bored with trains, buildings? Everyone knows it.
We spend time getting new things.

I bet you didn't know the Papua Separatist Army.

And if one really digs very deeply there, he will find the traces of the invisible hands of the FIVE EYES (in particular the hands of the US and AUS) to create chaos / riot / color revolution / separatism... there's Freeport-McMoRan Inc. with its largest gold and copper & possibly uranium mining in Grasberg, West Papua, with values of at least US$100 billion, so far they simply ship the raw mined products to Australia for processing (the smelter facility is located there) but the current Indonesian govt demand them to build a smelter in domestic Indonesia and process the mining domestically.

The FIVE EYES may wish to repeat the story of the East Timor (now known as Timor Leste).

View attachment 690963

More than a dozen university students have been injured in an incident in the Papuan capital, Jayapura, with witnesses claiming Indonesian troops opened fire to disperse a peaceful rally.
UPDATEDUPDATED 28/10/2020
BY VIRGINIA LANGEBERG
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

A young man has been severely beaten and a dozen other students injured after Indonesian security forces opened fire on a university rally in the Papuan capital, Jayapura.
Months of fresh demonstrations have gripped the region as thousands of Indigenous West Papuans renew calls for an independence referendum amid a deadly crackdown in the Indonesian-ruled provinces.
Some 13 university students were injured in Jayapura on Tuesday, with victims and witnesses claiming Indonesian troops opened fire to disperse a peaceful rally of about 20 people.

READ MORE
People gather as shops burn in the background during a protest in Wamena on 23 September.

The history behind Papua's resurgent political turmoil

Benny Wenda, from the Liberation Movement of West Papua, said Indonesia was imposing martial law.
"These were live rounds,” Mr Wenda said. “West Papua is becoming more of a hunting ground by special forces.”
Indonesia’s control of the provinces has long been a cause of tension among Indigenous locals with low-level conflict and independence movements simmering for decades.
Despite a heavy military presence in the region and the threat of COVID-19, demonstrations calling for an independence referendum reignited in July.
It came after hundreds of thousands rallied in August and September of 2019, only to be silenced by a flood of more armed troops.

READ MORE
The mounting death toll of West Papua’s latest escalation in violence has seen Australia being pressured to take a stronger stance.

Australia urged to take stronger stance on curbing West Papua bloodshed

It’s estimated up to 70,000 people have been displaced and 250 killed in the past two years of violence.
Victor Yeimo from the West Papua National Committee said action would continue.
“Our message is very clear, West Papuan people need a political solution,” Mr Yeimo said. “We're calling on our Melanesian and Pacific leaders to upgrade its resolution to get the people of West Papua free from the colony of power.”
For West Papuan refugees who fled to Papua New Guinea in the 1970s, there's still hope they will one day be able to return.
“We will stay in PNG for the rest of our life, or if West Papua independence is decided, we go back to our home,” said Olof Wayabgkau, who fled Jayapura in 1975.
SBS News contacted the Indonesian embassies in Sydney and Canberra but did not receive a response.

This is like your 2nd or 3rd thread on the same topic on the same day...

You're quite excited. Are you @beijingwalker's alt? :D

Our Indonesian bros don't mention this news at ending of last month. We almost have no idea of this breaking news. Never too late to get know what happened here.

Whatever internal or external, we need to know better of the world.
Of course, if not posted here, then we have no idea!

There is so much news every day, impossible to keep updated for all, unless some one highlights it at PDF :D

That's self. You knew it, why don't you post the news. Whatever it's more interesting than reading beijingwalker's trains, city buildings everyday.
I am tired of trains and cities too. You're the one getting so mad because I said it's Indonesia internal matter.
If it had something to do with China, I would be interested.

Of course, if not posted here, then we have no idea!

There is so much news every day, impossible to keep updated for all, unless some one highlights it at PDF :D

I will take the responsibility for introducing Indoensia every weekly. Hope those guys make more big news, otherwise it's holy boring these threads.

That's self. You knew it, why don't you post the news. Whatever it's more interesting than reading beijingwalker's trains, city buildings everyday.
I am tired of trains and cities too. You're the one getting so mad because I said it's Indonesia's internal matter. :lol:
If it had something to do with China, I would be interested.
BTW, I'd rather troll Vietnamese and Indians. :lol:

Me too....I'm glad you took the initiative to educate us about Indonesia. You should also give us your view on the matter.

Gone are the days of "it's their internal matter". No one cares. It's a open world.

Indonesia is hot recently. Sit at the crossroad of QUAD Indo Pacific Strategy.
Indonesia will be hurt badly, their peaceful days is gone I suppose.
The WASP are really good at it.
Let's see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom