What's new

'We are captives': Iranian actor criticises Tehran government

sammuel

Reaction score
Country
Israel
~

" We are captives " : Iranian actor criticises Tehran government

“I fought this dream for a long time and didn’t want to accept it. We are not citizens. We never were. We are captives…,” she wrote.

BBYUbXA.img

Iran’s most popular female actor has bluntly criticised the government in Tehran in a post on Instagram, telling her almost 6 million followers that “we are not citizens” but “captives”.

Taraneh Alidoosti – who has appeared in an Oscar-nominated film and acclaimed TV dramas – made her comments on Sunday, as Iranians took to the streets in a series of anti-regime protests.

“I fought this dream for a long time and didn’t want to accept it. We are not citizens. We never were. We are captives…,” she wrote.

Alidoositi said that she had replaced her profile picture with the colour black in mourning for demonstrators shot dead by security forces last November. The colour had nothing to do with official “mourning” following the assassination on 3 January of Iran’s top general Qassem Suleimani by a US drone, she added.

The actor’s intervention comes amid reports that Iranian authorities have fired live ammunition to disperse protesters in Tehran, wounding several people. The protests broke out after the government admitted on Friday its military had accidentally shot down a Ukrainian passenger jet, killing 176 people.

Alidoosti has previously spoken out against Donald Trump’s decision to impose visa bans on Iranians. In 2017 she boycotted the Oscar awards ceremony after The Salesman in which she starred was nominated in the best foreign language film category. The blanket ban was racist, she said.

She played the lead role in the film, directed by Asghar Farhadi. It is about a couple whose relationship is thrown into disarray after an intruder surprises her in the shower. Hardliners criticised Alidoosti after she returned from promoting the film at the Cannes film festival with a feminist tattoo on her arm.

Alidoosti also starred in a popular Iranian online TV series set in the 1950s, which has echoes in politics today. Shahrzad, the most expensive production of its kind in Iran, brought Iranian lifestyle under the late Shah to the screen, depicting snooker clubs, women and men partying together, cabarets and drinking alcohol.

She describes herself on her Twitter profile as an “actor, feminist, translator, mom”.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...actor-criticises-tehran-government/ar-BBYUduX

Alidoositi said that she had replaced her profile picture with the colour black in mourning for demonstrators shot dead by security forces last November. The colour had nothing to do with official “mourning” following the assassination on 3 January of Iran’s top general Qassem Suleimani by a US drone, she added.

The actor’s intervention comes amid reports that Iranian authorities have fired live ammunition to disperse protesters in Tehran, wounding several people. The protests broke out after the government admitted on Friday its military had accidentally shot down a Ukrainian passenger jet, killing 176 people.

Alidoosti has previously spoken out against Donald Trump’s decision to impose visa bans on Iranians. In 2017 she boycotted the Oscar awards ceremony after The Salesman in which she starred was nominated in the best foreign language film category. The blanket ban was racist, she said.

She played the lead role in the film, directed by Asghar Farhadi. It is about a couple whose relationship is thrown into disarray after an intruder surprises her in the shower. Hardliners criticised Alidoosti after she returned from promoting the film at the Cannes film festival with a feminist tattoo on her arm.

Alidoosti also starred in a popular Iranian online TV series set in the 1950s, which has echoes in politics today. Shahrzad, the most expensive production of its kind in Iran, brought Iranian lifestyle under the late Shah to the screen, depicting snooker clubs, women and men partying together, cabarets and drinking alcohol.

She describes herself on her Twitter profile as an “actor, feminist, translator, mom”.

Last edited:
Journalists quit Iranian state broadcaster over crash cover-up

Presenter Gellare Jabbari apologised to Iranians ‘for the 13 years I told you lies’

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor

Mon 13 Jan 2020 18.34 GMTLast modified on Mon 13 Jan 2020 19.04 GMT

Shares

Demonstrations have broken out in Iran over the downing of a Ukrainian passenger jet which killed all 176 people onboard. Photograph: STR/AFP via Getty Images
At least two presenters working for the Iranian state broadcaster IRIB have announced they have quit their jobs, with a third saying she quit some time ago after having told lies on behalf of the state for 13 years.

Gelare Jabbari apologised in an Instagram post, writing: “It was very hard for me to believe that our people have been killed. Forgive me that I got to know this late. And forgive me for the 13 years I told you lies.”

Zahra Khatami quit her role at IRIB, saying: “Thank you for accepting me as anchor until today. I will never get back to TV. Forgive me.”

Her fellow anchor Saba Rad said: “Thank you for your support in all years of my career. I announce that after 21 years working in radio and tv, I cannot continue my work in the media. I cannot.”

The journalists’ statements are part of a crisis of confidence following the initial attempts by state officials to deny that Ukrainian jetliner 752 had been shot down by mistake by members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp (IRGC) air defence force.

The crisis is leading even some of the news agencies most closely associated with the regime to start reporting on the street protests, or a least to start addressing the allegations about a potential state cover-up.

The Tehran-based Association of Iranian Journalists said in a statement that the country was witnessing “a funeral for public trust” that was damaging the already shaky reputation of Iran’s official media.

Speaking candidly on BBC Radio Today, Ghanbar Naderi, a commentator on Iran’s state-run Press TV, admitted: “There is little trust in the government and people want more freedom. The lies they said about the shooting down of the aeroplane [have] lost public trust. The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps know it very well.”

He added: “Millions and millions took [to] the streets following the assassination of Qassem Suleimani. It was a rare moment of unity but the IRGC blew it. As a journalist you need to be able to sleep at night. I will never ever distance myself from the truth. This a great nation. It has made many mistakes that are unacceptable. If the IRGC shot down a civilian airplane, I have no choice but to condemn it.”

FacebookTwitterPinterest
The crisis around flight 752 is one of the worst Iran’s government has faced in more than 40 years. Photograph: Abedin Taherkenareh/EPA
The Association of Iranian Journalists said: “The publication of false information has had a severe impact on public confidence and public opinion, and more than ever shook the media’s shaky position. The situation has become so complex. We lie loudest when we lie to ourselves; and Islamic Republic of Iran state television employees acknowledge that their credibility has been lost. Unaware that the credibility of this media and most of the domestic media had long since vanished.

“It should be noted, however, that other media outlets objected to the situation, but the Islamic Republic of Iran’s state television favoured it. This incident showed that people cannot trust official data and journalists should try to fill this gap as much as possible.”

Many Iranian newspapers appear to be angry because they felt their readerships were turning to international media to find out the truth about the crash.

For instance, the reformist newspaper Etemad has persistently demanded since the weekend to know for how long the IRGC knew that it had shot down the plane and whether senior figures in the government were really not informed until Friday.

Play Video
0:31
Iran video appears to show missile striking Ukrainian plane – video
Commentary in the reformist press and on Twitter had been hugely critical of what writers described as “structural lies” by state institutions, as well as lack of coordination between the country’s civilian aviation authority and IRGC. Etemad has called on officials not just to apologise, but to resign.

The head of the Iranian civilian aviation authority, Ali Abedzadeh, has been most subject to criticism. Abedzadeh had told reporters: “The story that the plane was shot down by a rocket cannot be true under any circumstances … It is impossible from the scientific point of view.”

The authority subsequently apologised for “inconsistency in the information provided”, adding: “We have not been under any pressure or advice to conceal the reality and have no intention of concealing the reality … We have released the information we believed … and we are sorry for the mistake.”

Reporters Without Borders ranks Iran as 170th in the world press freedom index out of 180 countries. It says state control of news and information is unrelenting and at least 860 journalists and citizen-journalists have been imprisoned or executed since 1979.

“Independent journalists, citizen-journalists and independent media are constantly subjected to intimidation, arbitrary arrest and long jail sentences imposed by revolutionary courts at the end of unfair trials,” the organisation claims. Reformist newspapers are often shut.

Social influencers on Twitter often find their thoughts banned by either targeted or generalised internet shutdowns.

That said, papers do manage to carry debates about government errors including the timing of November’s petrol price hike, rampant corruption, the Guardian Council disqualification of parliamentary candidates and the spiralling cost of housing.

But the scale of the cover-up by the state, and the current outpouring of shamed regret by senior IRGC commanders, has given some media leeway to attack the catalogue of errors that led to the deaths of some many Iranians. Overseas ambassadors have also felt obliged to apologise over inaccurate information they gave in the wake of the incident.

Additional reporting by Michael Safi

As 2020 begins…
… we’re asking readers, like you, to make a new year contribution in support of the Guardian’s open, independent journalism. This has been a turbulent decade across the world – protest, populism, mass migration and the escalating climate crisis. The Guardian has been in every corner of the globe, reporting with tenacity, rigour and authority on the most critical events of our lifetimes. At a time when factual information is both scarcer and more essential than ever, we believe that each of us deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.

You’ve read 5 articles in the last four months. More people than ever before are reading and supporting our journalism, in more than 180 countries around the world. And this is only possible because we made a different choice: to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.

We have upheld our editorial independence in the face of the disintegration of traditional media – with social platforms giving rise to misinformation, the seemingly unstoppable rise of big tech and independent voices being squashed by commercial ownership. The Guardian’s independence means we can set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Our journalism is free from commercial and political bias – never influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This makes us different. It means we can challenge the powerful without fear and give a voice to those less heard.

None of this would have been attainable without our readers’ generosity – your financial support has meant we can keep investigating, disentangling and interrogating. It has protected our independence, which has never been so critical. We are so grateful.

As we enter a new decade, we need your support so we can keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. And that is here for the long term. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minu

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...iranian-state-broadcaster-over-crash-cover-up

This topic is way above your intelligence, you should stick to commenting on Punjabi mujra and the usual kanjar khana threads.
Who invited you kid stick to your am leaving PDF thread weren't you supposed to be quitting I know your a attention seeker so here is your daily dose off attention my little dog

~

" We are captives " : Iranian actor criticises Tehran government

BBYUbXA.img

Iran’s most popular female actor has bluntly criticised the government in Tehran in a post on Instagram, telling her almost 6 million followers that “we are not citizens” but “captives”.

Taraneh Alidoosti – who has appeared in an Oscar-nominated film and acclaimed TV dramas – made her comments on Sunday, as Iranians took to the streets in a series of anti-regime protests.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...actor-criticises-tehran-government/ar-BBYUduX

Ooooh ! She’s going to get arrested

Sheis right, the mullahs are like a parasite that has taken over the body. This parasite needs to be removed if the iranian people want to live the way they want. See how propaganda mouthpieces of mullahs jere present iran and see how the reality is. Mods should make sure propaganda mouthpieces are not alowed here and only free people should contribute.

Who invited you kid stick to your am leaving PDF thread weren't you supposed to be quitting I know your a attention seeker so here is your daily dose off attention my little dog

I came back just to put down inferior morons like you. Like I said leave these topic to the people who know what happens outisde their pind. Now go smoke some weed and chill out with your ''boys'' in your 2008 Vauxhall Corsa.:lol:

I believe the regime change will prove to be fatal for cpec directly affecting Pakistan's economic and security parameters. In middle eastern societies there's either stability or anarchy and nothing in between, case in point Iraq, Syria Yemen.

Time to re activate the Pakistani veterans in Tehran to teach these ultra nationalists a lesson like 2009 and 17

I came back just to put down inferior morons like you. Like I said leave these topic to the people who know what happens outisde their pind. Now go smoke some weed and chill out with your ''boys'' in your 2008 Vauxhall Corsa.[emoji38]
Awe you cameback for a little treat here doggy doggy. Please go ahead and open another thread for am leaving part 2. Oh and just to let you know before you get all excited like a attention seeking dog again no one gives a shit pal.You can carry on trying to hunt the Persian cat on PDF like a good dog would do but make sure to wag your tail before you see yourself out the second time

Majority of Iranian or Arabs those who comes Europe or North America pretty much they have same mentality. In my personal experience. I used to be a member of ghussal team. Many time bodies for tadfeen comes from hospital or emergency , a man only with muslim name. Some closed friends of deceased refer for muslim burial and hospital social worker contact the mosque, if they accept for burial. Muslim religious places usually accept those bodies. But, looking at history, I ask this question many times to myself, how easily to disconnect yourself from your people and died like this.....The unknowns.
As compared to Indians and Pakistanis burials, it always crowded.

>>Bunch of Tehran shitlibs cry on twitter to get white knights in the west on their side

>>oooooo regime change

Forgets Iran is like 80 million people strong and that vast majority are ok with regime

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom