What's new

War crimes and denial

Bhairava

Reaction score
ONE of the most disturbing TV documentaries I have seen recently was Channel 4’s Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields when it was aired in the UK a fortnight ago. Chronicling the last few days of the murderous civil war against the Tamil Tigers that ended in triumph for government forces two years ago, it is a searing indictment of the methods used in the final phase of the last battle in Mullivaikal.

To recap: after months of largely conventional warfare, the outgunned and outnumbered Tamil Tigers had been pushed into an ever-shrinking corner of a sand spit between a large lagoon and the sea. This area was now surrounded by the closing pincers of the army from two sides, while the navy maintained a tight blockade along the sea. Refusing to surrender, the Tigers drove around 300,000 terrified Tamil civilians before them to use as human shields. Anybody trying to flee was ruthlessly gunned down.

Before the endgame, the Tigers – or the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Elam, to give them their full name – had maintained a state within a state in the north and east of the country, collecting taxes, running services, and controlling the Tamils there with an iron hand. Families were forced to hand over a boy each for the cause, and these child soldiers were routinely deployed on dangerous missions, including suicide attacks. The hundreds of thousands of Tamils who had fled to form a thriving diaspora abroad were often blackmailed to donate to a fund that financed the war effort.

All in all, the LTTE, led by Prabahakaran, was probably the deadliest terrorist organisation in the world. It pioneered the use of suicide attacks, killing many politicians, including Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi. But despite his efficient killing machine, Prabahakaran was not politically adept: when offered major concessions, including a substantial degree of autonomy, he rejected the peace proposals. Later, he called for a boycott, enforced at gunpoint, just before the presidential election. This ensured victory for the hawkish Mahinda Rajapakse, and sent his opponent, Ranil Wickramesinghe, into political irrelevance, together with his search for a peaceful end to the civil war.

So all in all, the Tamil Tigers were not very nice people. But this neither explains nor condones the brutality displayed by the Sri Lankan armed forces in the final days of the war. The Channel 4 documentary, compiled from footage shot by Tamils trapped in the fighting, as well as sequences filmed on cellphones by Sri Lankan soldiers, shows scenes straight from hell.

A field hospital is shown being shelled again and again while doctors and nurses struggle to save lives under desperate conditions. Children, traumatised by days of intense bombardment, are killed and wounded as they try and flee. Corpses are scattered around on the beach as civilians seek cover. And in the gruesome finale, trophy films recorded on cell phones by audibly laughing soldiers show naked, bound men – presumably captured Tamil Tigers – being made to kneel and shot in the back of their heads. We are also shown women who have been raped and killed.

The film has been met with a chorus of condemnation, and demands for a full international enquiry. Over the years, as stories of excesses committed by the army have filtered out, the international community has called for an impartial investigation into allegations of crimes against humanity. Most recently, a UN report has repeated the charge that both the government and the LTTE committed major human rights abuses.

But the fact is that almost the entire leadership of the Tamil Tigers was wiped out in the final hours of the war, many of them while trying to surrender. So that leaves the Sri Lankan government left to answer the charges against its armed forces. Unsurprisingly, Rajapakse and his spokesmen reject all allegations out of hand, insisting that it will set up a ‘truth and lessons-learnt’ commission to investigate.

According to a WikiLeak, US ambassador to Sri Lanka, Patricia Butenis, wrote to the State Department:

“There are no examples we know of a regime undertaking wholesale investigation of its own troops or senior officials for war crimes while that regime or government remained in power. In Sri Lanka this is further complicated by the fact that responsibility for many alleged crimes rests with the country’s senior civilian and military leadership, including President Rajapakse and his brothers and opposition candidate General Fonseka.”

Since this cable was written early last year, General Fonseka, the army chief and war hero, was defeated in the presidential election, and subsequently arrested for corruption. He remains in jail, awaiting trial. That leaves the president and his brother and defence secretary Gotabaya facing the charges of war crimes.

Clearly, as long President Rajapakse is in power, there is no possibility of an impartial enquiry into the last days of the war. But more than the ruling family, most ordinary Sri Lankans from the majority Sinhala community are in denial. Whenever I have mentioned the Channel 4 documentary, or earlier footage that has surfaced, some Sri Lankans have insisted that the films have been doctored.

When I point out that Jon Snow, the presenter of the documentary, is a very respected and experienced journalist, and that Channel 4 would hardly use tainted material, I am told about how the West is out to get Sri Lanka. As a Pakistani, I am very familiar with this paranoid narrative. But when I ask why any foreigner would want to frame Sri Lanka, nobody has a coherent explanation, apart from mumbling about the country’s strategic location along major sea-lanes.

Indeed, Jon Snow did state that Channel 4 had the footage checked by experts, and they confirmed that it had not undergone any tampering. Nobody has yet explained why Channel 4 would be gunning for Sri Lanka’s leaders.

Wars are never pleasant, and throughout history, soldiers have committed terrible atrocities. But civilised nations and disciplined armies do investigate allegations of exceptionally brutal acts. In Pakistan, we never conducted the kind of accountability required by the war crimes committed by our troops in present-day Bangladesh 40 years ago. As a result, most Pakistanis are still in denial. Sri Lanka should not repeat Pakistan’s mistake.

War crimes and denial

Shame shame Sri Lanka and the international community who choose to turn blind eye to such institutional killers.

Counter-Insurgency is tough business, you cannot hope to put down the enemy by making kissy faces at them. You have to be ruthless and firm. The Sri-lankans did just that. You need to make examples out of them so as to discourage others from joining their ranks.

It is what you did during Operation Blue Star, the excessive and blatant use of force had little to do with neutralizing the weak Sikh resistance, it had more to do with establishing India's dominance.

Counter-Insurgency is tough business, you cannot hope to put down the enemy by making kissy faces at them. You have to be ruthless and firm. The Sri-lankans did just that. You need to make examples out of them so as to discourage others from joining their ranks.

It is what you did during Operation Blue Star, the excessive and blatant use of force had little to do with neutralizing the weak Sikh resistance, it had more to do with establishing India's dominance.

Then what is the difference between terrorists and a nation's army ? I am appalled that you, a service man, can condone such inhuman things.

A field hospital is shown being shelled again and again while doctors and nurses struggle to save lives under desperate conditions. Children, traumatised by days of intense bombardment, are killed and wounded as they try and flee. Corpses are scattered around on the beach as civilians seek cover. And in the gruesome finale, trophy films recorded on cell phones by audibly laughing soldiers show naked, bound men – presumably captured Tamil Tigers – being made to kneel and shot in the back of their heads. We are also shown women who have been raped and killed.

What civilized nation with a bit of humanity left in them does these things ?

Extending that logic do you agree to the alleged Indian actions in Kashmir ?

Op.Blue Star was an entirely different operation which can be compared to Lal Masjid siege and not to this.

Almost all killed were heavily armed militants and not children and women.Still we dont remain in denial about that.

Then what is the difference between terrorists and a nation's army ? I am appalled that you, a service man, can condone such inhuman things.

Counter-Insurgency is not conventional warfare. I do not condone the killing of civilians or innocent parties but if there are facilitators or actors involved, then a sufficient show of force is necessary.

What civilized nation with a bit of humanity left in them does these things ?

One which has lost thousands of innocents and has spent 30 years locked in civil war with an enemy that rejects all attempts at forging peace.

Extending that logic do you agree to the alleged Indian actions in Kashmir ?

You don't need a nod from me for that, this policy is already in effect since Kashmir was annexed by India.

Op.Blue Star was an entirely different operation which can be compared to Lal Masjid siege and not to this.

They are both cases in point. They are the same thing, Op Blue Star is a single chapter out of a conflict.

Almost all killed were heavily armed militants and not children and women.Still we dont remain in denial about that.

They had ARs a dozen RPGs maybe, that's it.

Counter-Insurgency is not conventional warfare. I do not condone the killing of civilians or innocent parties but if there are facilitators or actors involved, then a sufficient show of force is necessary.

Children are not innocent ? Fleeing women are not innocent ?

And this sufficient show of force entails bombing a hospital again and again to show who is powerful ? It entails taking photos of naked,bound men being shot on the back of their heads by laughing soldiers ?

One which has lost thousands of innocents and has spent 30 years locked in civil war with an enemy that rejects all attempts at forging peace.

And why the war started in the first place ? It was the same nation that socially,politically and economically discriminated one set of population for about 4 decades and deprived them of its citizenship and which still refuses to equally treat them.The war did not start in a vacuum.

You don't need a nod from me for that, this policy is already in effect since Kashmir was annexed by India.

I know that we don't need any nod from Pakistan. Just asking the self-righteous who start lecturing moral principles to India regarding its conduct which even during the worst part of the insurgency was never as inhumane as this.

They are both cases in point. They are the same thing, Op Blue Star is a single chapter out of a conflict.

They had ARs a dozen RPGs maybe, that's it.

On the contrary the Gurudwara was heavily fortified with RPGs, HMG, ARs and was being trained by a man who created the Mukti Bahini - Maj Gen Shabeg Singh

Entire Punjab was shut down. Indira chose a sacred Sikh day to attack. The day was the birth anniversary of the Sikh religion founder. This was a diabolical move to teach the Sikhs 'Indira lessons' from all over the world who come to the Golden Temple. Thousands were slaughtered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Children are not innocent ? Fleeing women are not innocent ?

There is no way to verify this claim, but I am sure that the Sri-lankan soldiers would not have fired on fleeing women and Children because they were sufficiently busy with the Tamil Tigers.

And this sufficient show of force entails bombing a hospital again and again to show who is powerful ? It entails taking photos of naked,bound men being shot on the back of their heads by laughing soldiers ?

The hospital if being used as a C&C centre is a fair target. As for summary executions, I do not support them, not in any way but I can't blame the soldiers that carry them out. These men have witnessed some very disturbing acts, have seen their finest friends fall before them, have seen their comrades being executed summarily by the enemy, some crack and look for revenge. Disciplinary action must be taken against these men, I must stress.

And why the war started in the first place ? It was the same nation that socially,politically and economically discriminated one set of population for about 4 decades and deprived them of its citizenship and which still refuses to equally treat them.The war did not start in a vacuum.

The Tamils were facing discriminatory attitude for the Sinhalese population, however, it was the Tamil themselves who rejected peace offers such as complete autonomy.

I know that we don't need any nod from Pakistan. Just asking the self-righteous who start lecturing moral principles to India regarding its conduct which even during the worst part of the insurgency was never as inhumane as this.

That's because India has never had to face a co-ordinated insurgency in Kashmir.

On the contrary the Gurudwara was heavily fortified with RPGs, HMG, ARs and was being trained by a man who created the Mukti Bahini - Maj Gen Shabeg Singh

That is still not the type of fortification one would need armour to clear.

P.S: I think you are of the view that I enjoy killing, do understand that my outlook on COIN is much different from the average person because I have been involved in fighting the TTP in Bajaur since 2008. I have had to make tough calls, because if I show unnecessary compassion, others pay with heir life.

Why is the spotlight on sri lanka when americans and israelis are responsible for far more war crimes all over the world. Even if we were to accept sri lankans have comitted war crimes and we dont americans and israelis have done far than what is being alleged here.

There is no way to verify this claim, but I am sure that the Sri-lankan soldiers would not have fired on fleeing women and Children because they were sufficiently busy with the Tamil Tigers.

Inspite of your belief ,The proofs say differently so and various UN findings have confirmed that Sinhala soldiers did indulge in massive war crimes.

The hospital if being used as a C&C centre is a fair target. As for summary executions, I do not support them, not in any way but I can't blame the soldiers that carry them out. These men have witnessed some very disturbing acts, have seen their finest friends fall before them, have seen their comrades being executed summarily by the enemy, some crack and look for revenge. Disciplinary action must be taken against these men, I must stress.

Too much "ifs and buts" friend. In the closing stages of the war the Tigers did not put up a single fight because not only were they out numbered they were faced with a massive lack of ammo due to IN's action on the high seas.

The Tamils were facing discriminatory attitude for the Sinhalese population, however, it was the Tamil themselves who rejected peace offers such as complete autonomy.

Complete autonomy was never offered and the onus was on the Sinhalese for pacifying the Tamils by providing them equal opportunities and not the other way around. A clause was always there that made the Tamil provincial Govt subservient to the Sinhalese Parliament.

But why this discussion ? There is certain code of conduct a national army of a country must adhere to and the Sri Lankan soldiers themselves behaved exactly like the terrorists they were seeking to vanquish.

That's because India has never had to face a co-ordinated insurgency in Kashmir.

You are kidding right ? The militants manned armored bunkers and no-go-areas in the heart of Sri Nagar till the late 90's.

That is still not the type of fortification one would need armour to clear.

The Indian handling of the Op.Blue star was never defended. JUst that apart from damage to the shrine itself there was not much civilian casualties and most killed were militants who were prepared to fight till death.

P.S: I think you are of the view that I enjoy killing, do understand that my outlook on COIN is much different from the average person because I have been involved in fighting the TTP in Bajaur since 2008. I have had to make tough calls, because if I show unnecessary compassion, others pay with heir life.

No amount of strategy can be kept as defense if you are bent on arty shelling hospitals, refugee camps killing unarmed children, women and elders. That is what terrorists do not uniformed soldiers.

Inspite of your belief ,The proofs say differently so and various UN findings have confirmed that Sinhala soldiers did indulge in massive war crimes.

The report is based on speculation and on testimony from activists who also lacked facts to back up their claim. Until a confirmed body count is presented. I cannot accept it as a fact.

Too much "ifs and buts" friend. In the closing stages of the war the Tigers did not put up a single fight because not only were they out numbered they were faced with a massive lack of ammo due to IN's action on the high seas.

Yes, they were outnumbered and were offered to surrender but they chose not to. Thus sealing their own fate.

Complete autonomy was never offered and the onus was on the Sinhalese for pacifying the Tamils by providing them equal opportunities and not the other way around. A clause was always there that made the Tamil provincial Govt subservient to the Sinhalese Parliament.

They were offered a deal in which Tamil areas would be governed solely a Tamil administration but would remain a part of Ceylon or Sri-Lanka as we now know it. Which is just short of independence.

But why this discussion ? There is certain code of conduct a national army of a country must adhere to and the Sri Lankan soldiers themselves behaved exactly like the terrorists they were seeking to vanquish.

Agreed, a code of conduct must be followed, but in the heat of battle, a soldier may act out of the code.

You are kidding right ? The militants manned armored bunkers and no-go-areas in the heart of Sri Nagar till the late 90's.

It was a localized resistance, an insurgency is fluid and launches attacks in various parts of the country.

The Indian handling of the Op.Blue star was never defended. JUst that apart from damage to the shrine itself there was not much civilian casualties and most killed were militants who were prepared to fight till death.

Which as stated above is just another side of the story, the Sikhs claim there were massive civilian casualties. As no neutral source can back either side's claim. It is still debated on. As will be the case in Sri-Lanka.

No amount of strategy can be kept as defense if you are bent on arty shelling hospitals, refugee camps killing unarmed children, women and elders. That is what terrorists do not uniformed soldiers.

I have observed my men in battle, they would never endanger the lives of their fellow countrymen, no matter how threatened they might feel from them. Unless of course they are active belligerents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom