What's new

US to rely on India if Afghan supply route is not opened: official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure.. other .. very very expensive ways.

The reason Pakistan high command decided not to accept or go ahead with Mush plan on Kashmir which India agreed with is because in the long term Indian companies will find it more expensive than Chinese companies worldwide without transit routes and India will at some time in the future either resign to being less competitive than Chinese or accommodate Pakistan to some degree on an overall peace and agreement with Pakistan on borders. Money and the economy will convince India to accommodate Pakistan.

I am here to reply this thread ...not your million lines garbage post....I dont have 3-4 hrs to read your post..next time write small and sensible post ...everybody will read and reply...

It's not garbage it is news articles which expose India's issues with transit issues. You think it is garbage because you dont want to accept it. If you think it is important to comment then read if not dont call it garbage as you dont know what it is

You are oversimplifying the things.. If only paying extra 87 million a month was a problem then US wouldn't have been arranging another supply route. The article of Washington post you're quoting also says other things "While U.S. officials have acknowledged that using alternate transportation routes for Afghan war supplies is more expensive and takes longer, the total costs had not been revealed until now".

Its not only about US an entity called NATO is also there, it also needs supplies. An important fact that everyone seems to be missing here is the withdrawal of the forces from Afghanistan.

Absolutely:

Western countries scramble for Afghan exits
By Fozil Mashrab

TASHKENT, Uzbekistan - As international forces prepare for withdrawal from Afghanistan, Western countries are already in talks with Afghanistan's Central Asian neighbors to bring their troops and military equipment back home.

The Pakistani route and the Northern Distribution Network (NDN) running through Central Asian countries are the two viable routes for international forces to withdraw from Afghanistan.

The United States and Afghanistan are in the process of negotiating an accord for a long-term US presence in Afghanistan

after 2014, when most foreign combat forces are due to withdraw. The US wants some advisers and special forces to stay on.

There are also "emergency scenario options" in the event either or both of the Pakistani route or/and the NDN are closed. This would require airlifting military equipment to Ulyanovsk airport in Russia or even to a suitable military airport in India, and from there transporting it to the nearest port city.

The Pakistani route, which has remained closed since November 2011 after a "friendly fire incident" involving North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) forces at the AfPak border area which killed 26 Pakistani soldiers and wounded dozens others, was partially reopened earlier this year to allow the US and NATO to ship food items to Afghanistan.

Currently, both US and Pakistani authorities are in search of a mutually acceptable arrangement that would allow both sides to scale down negative feelings and fully reopen the Pakistani route.

Such an arrangement could include a sharp increase in transit fees for US and NATO convoys crossing Pakistani territory, while the US could also insist that Pakistani military forces provide stronger security for these convoys.

Meanwhile, Western governments have already started to cultivate Afghanistan's Central Asian neighbors by dispatching their top military officials and defense ministers to various capitals.

Since the beginning of 2012, apart from frequent visits of US military officials to respective Central Asian countries, United Kingdom Defense Secretary Philip Hammond, Latvian Defense Minister Artis Pabriks and more recently Federal Defense Minister of Germany Thomas de Maiziere and Polish Defense Minister Tomasz Siemoniak have visited Uzbekistan, the key Central Asian country that is part of the NDN. The UK deputy defense secretary is expected to visit Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan in the near future.

It has been reported that the US government has already secured the consent of some of the Central Asian countries to use their territory to bring heavy military equipment out of Afghanistan.

Other NATO member countries, especially those that have large military contingents in Afghanistan, such as the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, Poland, are also trying to secure similar arrangements for themselves.

However, there have also been some dissenting voices among Western countries with regards to the costs involved in withdrawing troops and equipment from Afghanistan using the NDN though Central Asia.

In particular, French Defense Minister Gerard Longuet was reported recently to have voiced his preference for using the Pakistani route in view of the higher costs involved for transporting military equipment through Central Asian countries compared to the Pakistani route.

France and other NATO countries' military officials have been quietly angry over various negative incidents involving US troops in Afghanistan recently; these they believe help fuel anti-US and anti-Western feelings in Afghanistan and put their troops at increased danger. The killing of several French soldiers by an Afghan trainee recently is a case in point.

Recently, the US government has intensified its efforts to reach out to the Pakistani government by resuming high-level talks to convince it to reopen the Pakistani route.

United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's meeting with Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar on the margins of the "Somali Conference" in London and the visit of General James Mattis, commander of US Central Command, to Pakistan in February are part of the bilateral efforts to mend ties.

Both sides seem to be slowly edging towards reconciliation, for their own reasons. After a decade of military cooperation with the US on Afghanistan, Pakistan seems to have developed dependency on the billions of dollars in US military and financial aid it receives and which was suspended last year when relations between the countries deteriorated precipitously.

What is more, Uzbekistan's "no" to allowing its territory to be used for the transit of "lethal" military equipment to and out of Afghanistan adds urgency to US efforts to talk sweet to Pakistan.

At the same time, the US plans to utilize the "Tajikistan-Kyrgyzstan-Kazakhstan-Russia-Latvia" route bypassing Uzbekistan as an alternative to transport heavy military equipment out of Afghanistan.

Most probably, the US will strip everything "lethal" from its heavy military equipment to transport through Uzbekistan rather than take the long and tortuous route bypassing Uzbekistan though Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.

Moreover, in an effort to secure Central Asian countries' cooperation and goodwill for transporting equipment out of Afghanistan, the US and British governments have dangled the prospect of donating some of their military equipment to those countries that allow the transit of material. This would be in addition to transit and other fees paid to each Central Asian country.

The high cost involved aside, the NDN also some advantages over the Pakistani route - the security of the convoys.

Previously, frequent attacks by Pakistan based pro-Taliban militant groups on US and NATO convoys and scenes of burning trucks carrying fuel and other military vehicles were part of the picture for using the Pakistani route.

Therefore, the security of the convoys will be an important calculation for Western countries that wish to make an "honorable" and smooth exit from Afghanistan, rather than being seen as getting chased out of the country and plundered on the way out.

According to Western observers, both the NDN and the Pakistani routes will need to remain open to allow for a timely and orderly withdrawal of Western troops and military equipment from Afghanistan - the failure to reopen the Pakistani route might lead to the rescheduling of withdrawal deadlines.

Fozil Mashrab is a pseudonym used by an independent analyst based in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.

Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

Mate I have read all these articles and more to come to the conclusion. What I find irritating is that someone who you can tell by their post dont know their head from their arm then comes on here and argues as if they know whats going on. I do hope some of you read it and then come and explain what conclusions you would come to rather than glib comments of how America will fly supplies into Afghanistan from India

Yes you were ignored because clearly you have ulterior motives and you want to see India play a role which no one wants it to play in the neighbourhood. A role it is ill equipped to fulfill.

Well Americans wouldn't keep asking for it to be reopened would they if what you said was correct or it didn't bother them??

I for one have no idea how they will do it via India....They maybe referring to Iranian port which they may have acknowledged as an Indian base. But then it may be speculation.

Its all may...dont have proof for this. So whats the point of commenting.?

I for one have no idea how they will do it via India....They maybe referring to Iranian port which they may have acknowledged as an Indian base. But then it may be speculation.

Its all may...dont have proof for this. So whats the point of commenting.?

But how will you get Iranians to do a deal that allows American supplies through so Americans can have a base to keep an eye on Iran and possibly launch an attack on them

But how will you get Iranians to do a deal that allows American supplies through so Americans can have a base to keep an eye on Iran and possibly launch an attack on them

Why not? Iranians can allow the transport if India takes the liability of what happens in the port. India can also play a mediator here. US needs India for strategic needs and Iranians need us for their oil and a vent against sanctions.

Yes you were ignored because clearly you have ulterior motives and you want to see India play a role which no one wants it to play in the neighbourhood. A role it is ill equipped to fulfill.
How is this comment a response to what I posted?

Well Americans wouldn't keep asking for it to be reopened would they if what you said was correct or it didn't bother them??
My dad makes about Rs 80 lakhs per annum but I still see him negotiating a purchase worth Rs 50,000 and see him happy if he is able to save Rs 5,000 on that. If he didnt save that, would it break him.. Not at all.. But he still tries to save that dough, because Rs 5000 saved is an excellent dine out for 4 on a Friday evening. Same applies here..

Why not? Iranians can allow the transport if India takes the liability of what happens in the port. India can also play a mediator here. US needs India for strategic needs and Iranians need us for their oil and a vent against sanctions.
:rofl::rofl:

How is this comment a response to what I posted?

My dad makes about Rs 80 lakhs per annum but I still see him negotiating a purchase worth Rs 50,000 and see him happy if he is able to save Rs 5,000 on that. If he didnt save that, would it break him.. Not at all.. But he still tries to save that dough, because Rs 5000 saved is an excellent dine out for 4 on a Friday evening. Same applies here..

Mate are you guys just missing the plot:)

What has the fact that I am a premium member got to do with anything??. They are not rants they are newspaper articles. Cant you swallow the fact that our forefathers deprived you of geo strategic location?? you cant bear it can you to even read these artilces??

I believe higher the rank of the member, more is the responsibility and lesser should be the Mod tolerance towards posted nonsense from that member.. Posting walls of text just because you have time to waste without any thought behind it really is a waste of bandwidth and forum resources in my view..

Simple India odes not have geo strategic location that Pakistan has because it is not Pakistan lol.

And ain't I glad for that.. It is your geostrategic location that has forced you in to the endless war for last 4 decades and got you in the mess you find yourself in. Its like a blessing in disguise upside down ;)

You are oversimplifying the things.. If only paying extra 87 million a month was a problem then US wouldn't have been arranging another supply route. The article of Washington post you're quoting also says other things "While U.S. officials have acknowledged that using alternate transportation routes for Afghan war supplies is more expensive and takes longer, the total costs had not been revealed until now".

Its not only about US an entity called NATO is also there, it also needs supplies. An important fact that everyone seems to be missing here is the withdrawal of the forces from Afghanistan.

The 87 million dollars is the total cost of using alternate means to supply troops in Afghanistan. While 87 million a month is not a killer for the war effort, US certainly would want to save that money if it can. And hence the efforts.. I did not get your comment about the Withdrawal

I think even most Indian members agree that using India to supply Afghanistan is a long shot, which begs the question why the US would suggest it in the first place. Certainly, they are not stupid and can read a map better than most of us.

The only thing I can think of is that it is a message to the Pakistani government, perhaps a bit of scare mongering. If so, it is truly lame and smacks of desperation because the last thing in the world the US wants is to rely on Putin.

I can't believe the US has been reduced to silly, patently amateurish scare tactics like these.

I think even most Indian members agree that using India to supply Afghanistan is a long shot, which begs the question why the US would suggest it in the first place. Certainly, they are not stupid and can read a map better than most of us.

The only thing I can think of is that it is a message to the Pakistani government, perhaps a bit of scare mongering. If so, it is truly lame and smacks of desperation because the last thing in the world the US wants is to rely on Putin.

I can't believe the US has been reduced to silly, patently amateurish scare tactics like these.

Agree with you - The USA are showing "an act of desperation" - I also believe the Indian government are not as naive as perhaps one or two on here and realize the "chest thumping excercise" this is as far as the USA are concerned. Do they think we were born yesterday?

Still works when they wield the economic sanction card...not everyone but most...Americans might be fishing... for reaction from Pak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom