What's new

Huawei chief says Chinese tech cos should adopt Chinese chips, not rely on 'inferior' foreign chips

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Huawei chief says Chinese tech cos should adopt Chinese chips, not rely on 'inferior' foreign chips​

After developing their own 5G chipset, Huawei's leadership believes that Chinese tech companies should adopt China-made SoCs and silicon chips, instead of relying on unreliable foreign-developed chips

Mehul Reuben Das Last Updated:September 19, 2023 16:12:27 IST
Huawei chief says Chinese tech cos should adopt Chinese chips, not rely on 'inferior' foreign chips

After developing their own 5G chipset, Huawei's leadership believes that Chinese tech companies should adopt China-made SoCs and silicon chips, instead of relying on unreliable foreign-developed chips
Eric Xu Zhijun, the deputy chairman of Huawei Technologies, a company blacklisted by the United States, has urged China to embrace domestically developed semiconductors, despite acknowledging their lag behind foreign-made chips. This statement comes shortly after Huawei introduced new 5G smartphones featuring a Chinese-made advanced processor, which was hailed as a breakthrough.

Xu emphasized the importance of adopting home-grown semiconductor products, even though there is still a technological gap between these and their foreign counterparts in areas such as chips, servers, and personal computers. He argued that without widespread use of domestically developed products, this gap would never close. Xu made these remarks during a speech at the 2023 World Computing Conference in Changsha, the capital of Hunan province.

His comments align with the current patriotic sentiment in China, fueled by Huawei’s recent launch of the Mate 60 Pro and Mate 60 Pro+ 5G smartphones, which are powered by the advanced Kirin 9000s processor, all proudly made in China. These products have come to symbolize China’s resilience in the face of restrictive US technology sanctions.

Xu’s call for increased adoption of domestic semiconductors reflects Huawei’s commitment to promoting and advancing Chinese technology and innovation, despite the challenges posed by international sanctions and competition.

Xu emphasized the significant challenges posed by US export controls on advanced chips and computing systems. He pointed out that obtaining such technology could be exceptionally challenging, if not impossible, due to these export restrictions. Drawing from their past experiences and projections, Huawei believes that this issue will persist as a long-term challenge.

In light of these constraints, Xu stressed the importance of Chinese firms developing chips based on domestically developed technologies that are free from such restrictions. This approach is seen as a way to minimize uncertainty and ensure access to critical technologies.

Xu also expressed Huawei’s belief that China’s semiconductor manufacturing technology will remain in a catch-up mode for an extended period. The semiconductor industry is at the centre of an ongoing technology rivalry between the United States and China, with the US imposing various trade sanctions that have impeded China’s efforts to achieve technological self-reliance.

Huawei, along with its chip design division HiSilicon, was placed on the US Entity List by Washington in May 2019. In response to tightening trade restrictions imposed by the US in 2020, which covered access to semiconductors developed or manufactured using US technology, Huawei has had to adjust its production processes for smartphones and telecommunications network equipment.

Despite these challenges, the success of its new Mate 60 Pro devices has given Huawei an opportunity to regain a strong foothold in the world’s largest smartphone market. In the second quarter, Huawei made its way back into the top five smartphone vendors in China.

During his speech at the Changsha conference, Eric Xu did not specifically disclose details about the advanced processor used in Huawei’s latest 5G smartphones, adding to the mystery surrounding the origin and production of the Kirin 9000s chip. There have been third-party speculations that this advanced chip was manufactured by the prominent Chinese foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (SMIC), but neither Huawei nor SMIC has officially confirmed this.

Instead, Xu highlighted Huawei’s HiSilicon-designed Kunpeng and Ascend chipsets as alternative central processing units (CPUs) for domestic computers, particularly those used in cloud computing services and for training artificial intelligence language models. This move indicates Huawei’s efforts to promote and develop domestically designed chip solutions as a strategic response to the challenges posed by international trade restrictions.

I wasn't expecting Huawei to be back so soon... I am wondering what else is in the pipe line that we do not know.
First the west believed it would take China decades to make a high performance jet engine, China produced high performing jet engines for both civil and military jets in just couples of years, and then the west believe China was decades away from mastering advanced chip making technology, China achieved it in just a couple of years, now what else a card the west still thinks it is still holding against China?

With the Kirin chips making a comeback to set the example, this will spur more Chinese companies to use domestic chips.

BUT what about software? Huawei should also encourage China to abandon inferior foreign software. The most inferior foreign software I ever had the displeasure of using is Linux. On my Huawei Matebook, Deepin Linux takes a whole 20 secs to boot up when I see the Windows 11 welcome screen in as little as 16-18 seconds. And when opening applications in Deepin Linux, everything feels more sluggish than Windows 11!

The first grave mistake China made was relying on foreign chips.

The second grave mistake China made was basing every single domestic Chinese OS on a Linux distro or kernel (Deepin, OpenKylin etc.)... Linux is an inferior POS junk software China should wean itself off from!!

I wasn't expecting Huawei to be back so soon... I am wondering what else is in the pipe line that we do not know.
It has to be mass commercialization of EUV within 3 years.

When you are near make the enemy believe you are still very far -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

That is what I want to say all the time.

Because USA is politicizing it.

Depending on foreign tech, it's like you are being held as a hostage, you are being blackmailed, your neck is in someone's hand.

It's crazy!

If all humanity can work together, without all the conflicts, suspicions, and backstabbing each other, I'm fine with it.

But not under this current bad situation.

With the Kirin chips making a comeback to set the example, this will spur more Chinese companies to use domestic chips.

BUT what about software? Huawei should also encourage China to abandon inferior foreign software. The most inferior foreign software I ever had the displeasure of using is Linux. On my Huawei Matebook, Deepin Linux takes a whole 20 secs to boot up when I see the Windows 11 welcome screen in as little as 16-18 seconds. And when opening applications in Deepin Linux, everything feels more sluggish than Windows 11!

The first grave mistake China made was relying on foreign chips.

The second grave mistake China made was basing every single domestic Chinese OS on a Linux distro or kernel (Deepin, OpenKylin etc.)... Linux is an inferior POS junk software China should wean itself off from!!
CHINA BOSS/CEO: We need to create an alternative software ecosystem!

CHINA CODER #0000001: Hey, I know the perfect solution... Let's create a Linux derivative!

CHINA CODER #0000002: Linux derivative!

CHINA CODER #9999999: ... Linux derivative!

UNCLE SAM: Muahahahaha!! Welcome to the STONE AGE, China! Enjoy your shietty slow-arse Linux ecosystem!!

CPC OFFICIAL: But WHY?!?!

CHINA BOSS/CEO: Because we're too slothful. And we think foreign technology is superior to our own...

HUAWEI: Shame on you!

Last edited:
PART II

CHINA BOSS/CEO: We need to create an online MMORPG game and go global with it!

CHINA CODER #0000001: Hey, I know the perfect solution... Let's use the Unity engine!

CHINA CODER #0000002: Unity engine!

CHINA CODER #9999999: ... Unity game engine!

UNITY CEO: Muahahahahaha!! Enjoy the Unity game engine tax, China! $0.20 per unique game install from here on in... We'll make millions off games like Genshin Impact!

CPC OFFICIAL: But WHY!?!?

CHINA BOSS/CEO: Because we're too slothful. And we think foreign technology is superior to our own...

HUAWEI: Shame on you! Don't you even know the Huawei Phoenix Game engine been around for some time? It can even do ray-tracing on good mobile specced systems. And besides although we charge a good fee upfront, it doesn't come with a per user install game tax later on!

The interview was from 7 months ago. I don't think he expected that China overcame it this fast

ASML CEO Says Chip Controls Will Push China to Create Own Technology

That's because Linux is Open Source and getting stuff for free instead of spending money on complete R&D or getting a license from some Western controlled OS (like Mac OS X did with Unix) is not in their interest.

That's because Linux is Open Source and getting stuff for free instead of spending money on complete R&D or getting a license from some Western controlled OS (like Mac OS X did with Unix) is not in their interest.
SURE.
You must mean how Mac OS X is getting stuff for free from Berkeley UNIX which is open source, instead of spending money on complete R&D.

Darwin is the core Unix operating system of macOS (previously OS X and Mac OS X), iOS, watchOS, tvOS, iPadOS, visionOS, and bridgeOS. It previously existed as an independent open-source operating system, first released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, Mach, and other free software projects' code, as well as code developed by Apple.

For those who not familiar, when Apple realized their OS is a DUD, they copied code from open source UNIX.
No surprise here when their boss, Steve Jobs is very proud of STEALING.

Steve Jobs: “Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal”

The Xerox Thieves: Steve Jobs & Bill Gates

SURE.
You must mean how Mac OS X is getting stuff for free from Berkeley UNIX which is open source, instead of spending money on complete R&D.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
I specifically said Mac OS X is based on Unix

The real point (which seems to have completely gone over your head) is why doesn't some smart Chinese University come out with an original OS that Huawei and other Chinese companies can use.

BSD Unix was around 1989.

Are only Western Universities capable??
What have Chinese Universities been doing for the last 30 years in terms of R&D to help Chinese companies stop needing to leverage Western controlled OS tech??

Why are we even talking about Linux or Unix when it comes to Chinese OS's???

Last edited:

Linux technically is not an OS, it's the kernel. OS has lot more than just the kernel, though it should be said the kernel is an extremely important part.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
I specifically said Mac OS X is based on Unix

The real point (which seems to have completely gone over your head) is why doesn't some smart Chinese University come out with an original OS that Huawei and other Chinese companies can use.

BSD Unix was around 1989.

Are only Western Universities capable??
What have Chinese Universities been doing for the last 30 years in terms of R&D to help Chinese companies stop needing to leverage Western controlled OS tech??

Why are we even talking about Linux or Unix when it comes to Chinese OS's???
SURE, why is the US still using paper and paper money.
Why doesn't some smart American come out with an original material so that the US can use.
While at it, the US should try not to use anything related to gunpowder.

I am sure you are not involved with coming up with Unix or Linux or contribute any code to it.
You seem to be only good at TROLLING "China is Bad".

In case you are so DUMB, R&D to innovate requires lots of money.
You know, that stuff that the IMPERIAL COLONIZERS got by ROBBING and KILLING the natives of resource rich lands and enslave them for SLAVE LABOR.

China now have the funds to do innovative R&D without committing crimes against humanity.
Check out who helped Boeing build the first plane, and the Chinese lady who helped solved the nuclear problem for Enrico Fermi.
No worry, China now can fund their people to discover things for themselves and not help Western parasites get credit for their work.

I think it was not reported here Huawei's next OS will not be based on AOSP. They are breaking away from that path. It's called "Harmony Next"

Harmony Next.jpg

Back
Top Bottom