What's new

US Politics

Trump's economic proposals could produce a prolonged recession

Moody's Analytics analysis: Trump presidency would 'significantly' hurt economy

By Nolan D. McCaskill 06/20/16

Donald Trump’s presidency would “significantly” weaken the country, driving the U.S. into a “lengthy recession” with nearly 3.5 million job losses and a 7 percent unemployment rate, according to a Moody’s Analytics analysis released Monday.

The analysis examined the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s economic plans at face value, based on interviews, speeches and his campaign website. The authors of the report, however, warned that quantifying the real estate mogul’s economic polices “is complicated by their lack of specificity.”

“Broadly, Mr. Trump’s economic proposals will result in a more isolated U.S. economy. Cross-border trade and immigration will be significantly diminished, and with less trade and immigration, foreign direct investment will also be reduced,” Mark Zandi, Chris Lafakis, Dan White and Adam Ozimek wrote in the report.

His policies would also diminish the country’s growth prospects, grow federal government deficits, increase the nation’s debt and finance his “mix of much lower tax revenues and few cuts in spending” with “substantially more government borrowing.”

“Driven largely by these factors, the economy will be significantly weaker if Mr. Trump’s economic proposals are adopted. Under the scenario in which all his stated policies become law in the manner proposed, the economy suffers a lengthy recession and is smaller at the end of his four-year term than when he took office,” the authors wrote. “By the end of his presidency, there are close to 3.5 million fewer jobs and the unemployment rate rises to as high as 7%, compared with below 5% today. During Mr. Trump’s presidency, the average American household’s after-inflation income will stagnate, and stock prices and real house values will decline.” Read more

You mean to tell me he has something in common with "La Raza" ("The Race")?? :woot:
I don’t like to argue for the sake of arguing, I don’t really have time for that, I already gave you several references (American Heritage Dictionary, Encyclopedia thefreedictionary, University of Oregon, The urbandictionary) but you totally ignored /rejected them, your reply was so hilarious, I mean seriously, since you learned Spanish in school that makes you a bigger authority on Spanish-language than the references? :D

Actually i never heard of this guy, just came across his video and decided to post it. But you seem to know every racist person it seems, and you support one too :lol: .
It is always a good idea to know your enemies and keep an eye on them. :D

A newly-released Hilary Clinton email confirmed that the Obama administration has deliberately provoked the civil war in Syria as the “best way to help Israel.”

In an indication of her murderous and psychopathic nature, Clinton also wrote that it was the “right thing” to personally threaten Bashar Assad’s family with death.

In the email, released by Wikileaks, then Secretary of State Clinton says that the “best way to help Israel” is to “use force” in Syria to overthrow the government.

The document was one of many unclassified by the US Department of State under case number F-2014-20439, Doc No. C05794498, following the uproar over Clinton’s private email server kept at her house while she served as Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013.

Although the Wikileaks transcript dates the email as December 31, 2000, this is an error on their part, as the contents of the email (in particular the reference to May 2012 talks between Iran and the west over its nuclear program in Istanbul) show that the email was in fact sent on December 31, 2012.

The email makes it clear that it has been US policy from the very beginning to violently overthrow the Syrian government—and specifically to do this because it is in Israel’s interests.

“The best way to help Israel deal with Iran’s growing nuclear capability is to help the people of Syria overthrow the regime of Bashar Assad,” Clinton forthrightly starts off by saying.

Even though all US intelligence reports had long dismissed Iran’s “atom bomb” program as a hoax (a conclusion supported by the International Atomic Energy Agency), Clinton continues to use these lies to “justify” destroying Syria in the name of Israel.

She specifically links Iran’s mythical atom bomb program to Syria because, she says, Iran’s “atom bomb” program threatens Israel’s “monopoly” on nuclear weapons in the Middle East.

If Iran were to acquire a nuclear weapon, Clinton asserts, this would allow Syria (and other “adversaries of Israel” such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt) to “go nuclear as well,” all of which would threaten Israel’s interests.

Therefore, Clinton, says, Syria has to be destroyed.

"Iran’s nuclear program and Syria’s civil war may seem unconnected, but they are. What Israeli military leaders really worry about — but cannot talk about — is losing their nuclear monopoly.

An Iranian nuclear weapons capability would not only end that nuclear monopoly but could also prompt other adversaries, like Saudi Arabia and Egypt, to go nuclear as well. The result would be a precarious nuclear balance in which Israel could not respond to provocations with conventional military strikes on Syria and Lebanon, as it can today.
"

"If Iran were to reach the threshold of a nuclear weapons state, Tehran would find it much easier to call on its allies in Syria and Hezbollah to strike Israel, knowing that its nuclear weapons would serve as a deterrent to Israel responding against Iran itself."

It is, Clinton continues, the “strategic relationship between Iran and the regime of Bashar Assad in Syria” that makes it possible for Iran to undermine Israel’s security.

This would not come about through a “direct attack,” Clinton admits, because “in the thirty years of hostility between Iran and Israel” this has never occurred, but through its alleged “proxies.”

"The end of the Assad regime would end this dangerous alliance.
Israel’s leadership understands well why defeating Assad is now in its interests.
Bringing down Assad would not only be a massive boon to Israel’s security,
it would also ease Israel’s understandable fear of losing its nuclear monopoly.
Then, Israel and the United States might be able to develop a common view of when the Iranian
program is so dangerous that military action could be warranted.
"​

Clinton goes on to asset that directly threatening Bashar Assad “and his family” with violence is the “right thing” to do:

"In short, the White House can ease the tension that has
developed with Israel over Iran by doing the right thing in Syria.
With his life and his family at risk, only the threat or use of
force will change the Syrian dictator Bashar Assad’s mind.
"​

The email proves—as if any more proof was needed—that the US government has been the main sponsor of the growth of terrorism in the Middle East, and all in order to “protect” Israel.

It is also a sobering thought to consider that the “refugee” crisis which currently threatens to destroy Europe, was directly sparked off by this US government action as well, insofar as there are any genuine refugees fleeing the civil war in Syria.

In addition, over 250,000 people have been killed in the Syrian conflict, which has spread to Iraq—all thanks to Clinton and the Obama administration backing the “rebels” and stoking the fires of war in Syria.

The real and disturbing possibility that a psychopath like Clinton—whose policy has inflicted death and misery upon millions of people—could become the next president of America is the most deeply shocking thought of all.

Clinton’s public assertion that, if elected president, she would “take the relationship with Israel to the next level,” would definitively mark her, and Israel, as the enemy of not just some Arab states in the Middle East, but of all peace-loving people on earth.
Oh my goodness, accidentally, you again ended up posting racist propaganda, do you know who runs that website from where you got this third rate propaganda?

In an indication of her murderous and psychopathic nature, Clinton also wrote that it was the “right thing” to personally threaten Bashar Assad’s family with death.
@Desert Fox - When DT openly calls of killing the families of Terrorists, the world screamed itself hoarse with shick & anger. Now will they do the same for Hillary? Why punish his wife & kids for his crimes?
Will they bother opening their mouths now
It sounds like a typical Republican propaganda, but I could be wrong, so can you please provide a source?

@Desert Fox @RabzonKhan - I feel Hillary is just like a Republican when it comes to Foreign Policy & interventionism going by her actions & what I heard about her; is it true?

No wonder so many Bernie Sanders supporters & Far-Left guys hate her
To an extent that is true, the mainstream Democrats and Republicans have similar view on important foreign policy issues.

Now, do we really want Mr. Chapter 11 (Chapter 11 bankruptcy basics) to run our economy, hell no!

Now imagine that, a filthy rich is going to give tax breaks to his fellow filthy rich and we the hard-working Americans will end up with trillions of dollar more debt.

Last edited:
since you learned Spanish in school that makes you a bigger authority on Spanish-language
Yeah, more than you for sure.

"Viva La Raza" ("Long Live The Race")

What does Viva la Raza mean?- Spanish Dictionary

It is always a good idea to know your enemies and keep an eye on them. :D
Your doing a good job keeping any eye on Hillary.

Oh my goodness, accidentally, you again ended up posting racist propaganda, do you know who runs that website from where you got this third rate propaganda?
Bring me proof wikileaks.org is racist.

Clinton: Destroy Syria for Israel

Last edited:
Yeah, more than you for sure.

"Viva La Raza" ("Long Live The Race")

What does Viva la Raza mean?- Spanish Dictionary
http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/148238/what-does-viva-la-raza-mean
So in other words, the translation’s of American Heritage dictionary, Enclopedia thefreedictionary, Urban dictionary and the University of Oregon are all incorrect/wrong, right?

Okay, since you are so determined to call the Latinos racist, please enlighten us, as I’m sure there will be many others who would be interesting to know the answer, what is their race?

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=La+Raza&submit.x=41&submit.y=26

According to the American Heritage Dictionary La Raza means:

Mexicans or Mexican Americans considered as a group, sometimes extending to all Spanish-speaking people of the Americas.

American Spanish, the people.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/La+Raza+Unida+Party

Partido Nacional de La Raza Unida (National United Peoples Party[1] or United Race Party[2])

http://blogs.uoregon.edu/mecha/programming/ruyc/

University of Oregon

Raza Unida Youth Conference
The motto of Raza Unida Youth Conference is Educación: El Derecho De La Raza! (Education: The Right of the People!).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Viva la raza

Viva la raza: Long live the people (and or race)

Viva mi raza: long live my people

In one of your previous post you said “Gente means strictly people in Spanish”, actually, it can also mean, folk, town and dweller. The point I’m trying to make here is that it is not easy to translate a foreign language into English.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&...AhVM0WMKHT3BA_4QPAgD#hl=en&q=gente+in+english

noun

people personas, gente, pueblo, habitantes, amigos, nación

folk gente, pueblo, familia, parientes, nación, unidad

town ciudad, pueblo, municipio, población, habitantes, gente

dweller habitante, morador, residente, gente, viviente

Your doing a good job keeping any eye on Hillary.
:rolleyes:

Bring me proof wikileaks.org is racist.

Clinton: Destroy Syria for Israel
I was not referring to WikiLeaks, but the long full of propaganda article you posted, where is the link to that article?

So in other words, the translation’s of American Heritage dictionary, Enclopedia thefreedictionary, Urban dictionary and the University of Oregon are all incorrect/wrong, right?

Okay, since you are so determined to call the Latinos racist, please enlighten us, as I’m sure there will be many others who would be interesting to know the answer, what is their race?

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=La+Raza&submit.x=41&submit.y=26

According to the American Heritage Dictionary La Raza means:

Mexicans or Mexican Americans considered as a group, sometimes extending to all Spanish-speaking people of the Americas.

American Spanish, the people.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/La+Raza+Unida+Party

Partido Nacional de La Raza Unida (National United Peoples Party[1] or United Race Party[2])

http://blogs.uoregon.edu/mecha/programming/ruyc/

University of Oregon

Raza Unida Youth Conference
The motto of Raza Unida Youth Conference is Educación: El Derecho De La Raza! (Education: The Right of the People!).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Viva la raza

Viva la raza: Long live the people (and or race)

Viva mi raza: long live my people

In one of your previous post you said “Gente means strictly people in Spanish”, actually, it can also mean, folk, town and dweller. The point I’m trying to make here is that it is not easy to translate a foreign language into English.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&...AhVM0WMKHT3BA_4QPAgD#hl=en&q=gente+in+english

noun

people personas, gente, pueblo, habitantes, amigos, nación

folk gente, pueblo, familia, parientes, nación, unidad

town ciudad, pueblo, municipio, población, habitantes, gente

dweller habitante, morador, residente, gente, viviente

:rolleyes:
Actions speak louder than words. There are no Chinese, Bangladeshi, Somalian, Pakistani, or Filipino immigrants in the racist organization of "La Raza" ("The Race"), thus it is a racist organization.

I was not referring to WikiLeaks, but the long full of propaganda article you posted, where is the link to that article?
It's from wikileaks. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it racist.

Your beloved Hillary murdered thousands of Arabs and Africans directly and indirectly (Iraq, Libya, Syria). But you don't care because realty is you give two hoots about racism. You're only concerned about your gravy train coming to a full stop once Trump gets elected.

Last edited:
The Donald Trump dove myth: why he’s actually a bigger hawk than Hillary Clinton
Hillary Clinton is, without a doubt, a hawkish Democrat. She has been consistently to the interventionist right of the party mainstream on issues like the Iraq War, the Afghanistan surge, and arming the Syrian rebels.

Donald Trump, by contrast, has criticized the Iraq War and the Libya intervention. He's been skeptical of America's commitments to defend traditional allies in Europe and East Asia, and said the Middle East in general is "one big, fat quagmire" that the US should stay out of.

This sure makes it sound like Trump is some kind of dovish neo-isolationist, a principled skeptic of military intervention. Clinton seems like a superhawk by contrast. Steve Schmidt, a prominent Republican strategist who ran John McCain's 2008 campaign, put this theory well during an MSNBC appearance in early May: "Donald Trump will be running to the left as we understand it against Hillary Clinton on national security issues."

But the problem is that the way "we understand" Trump's national security position is bollocks. Trump isn't a leftist, nor is he a pacifist. In fact, Trump is an ardent militarist, who has been proposing actual colonial wars of conquest for years. It's a kind of nationalist hawkishness that we haven't seen much of in the United States since the Cold War — but has supported some of the most aggressive uses of force in American history.

As surprising as it may seem, Clinton is actually the dove in this race.

Trump wants to start wars for oil — literally

(Sovfoto/UIG via Getty Images)
An Iraqi oil pipeline.
In the past five years, Trump has consistently pushed one big foreign policy idea: America should steal other countries' oil.

He first debuted this plan in an April 2011 television appearance, amid speculation that he might run for the GOP nomination. In the interview, Trump seemed to suggest the US should seize Iraqi oil fields and just operate them on its own.

"In the old days when you won a war, you won a war. You kept the country," Trump said. "We go fight a war for 10 years, 12 years, lose thousands of people, spend $1.5 trillion, and then we hand the keys over to people that hate us on some council." He has repeated this idea for years, saying during one 2013 Fox News appearance, "I’ve said it a thousand times."

Trump sees this as just compensation for invading Iraq in the first place. "I say we should take it [Iraq's oil] and pay ourselves back," he said in one 2013 speech.

During the 2016 campaign, Trump has gotten more specific about how exactly he'd "take" Iraq's oil. In a March interview with the Washington Post, he said he would "circle" the areas of Iraq that contain oil and defend them with American ground troops:

POST: How do you keep it without troops, how do you defend the oil?

TRUMP: You would... You would, well for that— for that, I would circle it. I would defend those areas.

TRUMP: Yeah, I would defend the areas with the oil.

After US troops seize the oil, Trump suggests, American companies would go in and rebuild the oil infrastructure damaged by bombing and then start pumping it on their own. "You’ll get Exxon to come in there … they’ll rebuild that sucker brand new. And I’ll take the oil," Trump said in a December stump speech.

Trump loves this idea so much that he'd apply it to Libya as well, telling Bill O'Reilly in April that he'd even send in US ground troops ("as few as possible") to fight off ISIS and secure the country's oil deposits.

To be clear: Trump's plan is to use American ground troops to forcibly seize the most valuable resource in two different sovereign countries. The word for that is colonialism.

Trump wants to wage war in the name of explicitly ransacking poorer countries for their natural resources — something that's far more militarily aggressive than anything Clinton has suggested.

This doesn't really track as "hawkishness" for most people, mostly because it's so outlandish. A policy of naked colonialism has been completely unacceptable in American public discourse for decades, so it seems hard to take Trump's proposals as seriously as, say, Clinton's support for intervening more forcefully in Syria.

Yet this is what Trump has been consistently advocating for for years. His position hasn't budged an inch, and he in fact appears to have doubled down on it during this campaign. This seems to be his sincere belief, inasmuch as we can tell when a politician is being sincere.

Trump's dovishness on Libya and Syria is also a myth

Donald Trump
(Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Now, you might say that this kind of hawkishness is offset by Trump's skepticism of wars launched by George Bush and Barack Obama. Maybe Trump would realize that his plans for stealing Iraqi and Libyan oil are beyond the pale once in office, and his more dovish instincts would come to the fore.

The problem is that Trump's instincts are not actually that dovish. Trump is selling a story of his own prescience about American military failure that we know, for a fact, is false. Indeed, he has a consistent pattern of saying things that sound skeptical of war, while actually endorsing fairly aggressive policies.

Sometimes this is a matter of outright lying. Throughout the campaign, Trump has trumpeted his opposition to the Libya war, telling Joe Scarborough on May 20 that it was a "disaster" and that "I would have stayed out of Libya."

Except that's not what he said at the time. In a March 2011 vlog post uncovered by BuzzFeed's Andrew Kaczynski and Christopher Massie, Trump full-throatedly endorsed intervening in the country's civil war — albeit on humanitarian grounds, not for its oil.

"Qaddafi in Libya is killing thousands of people, nobody knows how bad it is, and we’re sitting around," Trump said. "We should go in, we should stop this guy, which would be very easy and very quick. We could do it surgically, stop him from doing it, and save these lives." In a later interview, he went further, endorsing outright regime change: "if you don’t get rid of Gaddafi, it’s a major, major black eye for this country."

Shortly after the US intervention in Libya began in March 2011, Trump criticized the Obama administration's approach — for not being aggressive enough. Trump warned that the US was too concerned with supporting the rebels and not trying hard enough to — you guessed it — take the oil.

"I would take the oil — and stop this baby stuff," Trump declared. "I’m only interested in Libya if we take the oil. If we don’t take the oil, I’m not interested."

At no point did he express skepticism about Libya becoming a failed state or express concerns that military intervention hadn't been authorized by Congress. Trump's instincts on Libya were for war, full stop. His only criticism was that Obama wasn't selfish enough in how it was prosecuted.

Today, when it comes to Syria, Trump talks a lot about the risks of military intervention, whereas Clinton has played up our obligation to try to end the conflict. "I would have stayed out of Syria and wouldn’t have fought so much for Assad, against Assad," Trump said. "We’re supposed to fight ISIS, who is fighting Assad."

But the two of them support more or less the same military escalation in Syria. Both Clinton and Trump have proposed carving out "safe zones" in the country, which means clearing out a chunk of its territory and protecting it from aggressors.

Trump sees this as the answer to the Syrian refugee crisis — if you can keep the Syrians there, they won't have to come over here (or to Europe). "What I like is build a safe zone, it’s here, build a big, beautiful safe zone and you have whatever it is so people can live, and they’ll be happier," he said in a campaign appearance. "I mean, they’re gonna learn German, they’re gonna learn all these different languages. It’s ridiculous."

Similarly, both candidates have emphasized the need to bomb ISIS in Iraq and Syria — with Trump famously summarizing his policy as "bomb the shit out of" ISIS. But the way in which Trump plans to wage war on ISIS is far more aggressive — and illegal — than anything Clinton proposed.

One of Trump's signature proposals is targeting and killing the families of suspected ISIS fighters. "When you get these terrorists," Trump said in December, "you have to take out their families."

He also wants to bring back torture that's "much tougher" than waterboarding. "Don’t kid yourself, folks. It works, okay? It works. Only a stupid person would say it doesn’t work," he said at a November campaign event. But "if it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway, for what they’re doing."

To be clear, both torture and the intentional killing of civilians are crimes under international and US law. Confusingly, Trump said in early March he would not order US military officers to disobey the law. But he subsequently suggested that he'd "like the law expanded" to permit torture.

So Trump has not only supported most of America's recent wars, he also wants to wage wars in a fashion that's far more violent than what Clinton — or most mainstream politicians — would countenance. There's just no evidence, when you look at actual policy positions rather than rhetoric, that Trump is inclined to be skeptical about using force in the midst of an international crisis.

The big Iraq War lie

mission accomplished aircraft carrier
(Steven Jaffe/AFP/Getty Images)
One thing that Trump has used to build up his dove credibility, repeatedly, is his alleged opposition to the war in Iraq. "Going into Iraq may have been the worst decision anybody has made, any president has made, in the history of this country," he said during a February GOP debate. "I was against the war when it started."

This is a lie. In fact, Trump supported the war before it began, and wasn't even consistently against escalation in Iraq after he turned on the initial invasion.

Take his supposed prewar opposition. Tape from a 2002 episode of The Howard Stern Show, uncovered by BuzzFeed's Kaczynski and Nathan McDermott, proves conclusively that Trump in fact supported the invasion:

Stern: Are you for invading Iraq?

Trump: Yeah, I guess so. I wish the first time it was done correctly.

Why did Trump support the war? He's not very specific in the Howard Stern interview, but he suggested in a speech years later that he was hoping Bush would — wait for it — take Iraq's oil.

"When I heard that we were first going into Iraq, some very smart people told me, ‘Well, we’re actually going for the oil,’ and I said, ‘All right, I get that.' [But] we didn't take the oil!" Trump said during a 2013 address to the Conservative Political Action Committee conference.

The first public record of Trump criticizing the decision to invade Iraq, per a LexisNexis search, is in an August 2004 interview with Esquire — around the time Iraq's bloody insurgency had really begun to expand.

In Trump's defense, many of his comments after 2004 were quite critical of the war. "Look, everything in Washington has been a lie," Trump said in 2007. "Weapons of mass destruction. Was a total lie. A way of attacking Iraq, which [Bush] thought was going to be easy and it turned out it was the exact opposite."

However, his antiwar stance was hardly consistent. In 2008 he endorsed John McCain — at the time one of the staunchest supporters of Bush's troop surge in Iraq — for president. When Wolf Blitzer asked Trump during a CNN appearance about this contradiction, Trump backed McCain's position:

TRUMP: Now in terms of the surge, I'm not a fan of the war at all. I'd like to get out as soon as possible. Most people wanted to get out right away. John's idea of the surge, he really wanted it early. He went to win it and get out. Frankly, what he did and even the Democrats are saying it, was right…

BLITZER: Is it smart for American taxpayers to be shelling out $10 billion a month in Iraq?

TRUMP: No, I don't think it is and I hope we get out very soon. The difference is I guess John wants to get out with strength rather than weakness. Doesn't want to just leave. He wants to win and leave but he does want to get out and very strong on the fact he wants to get out as soon as we can. But he wants to get out with victory, not with loss.

It would have been very easy for Trump to say here, "I disagree with the senator on Iraq but believe he's the right choice for some other reason." But he didn't. And while it's kind of hard to parse whether Trump outright supported the surge personally, it's clear from this interview that he's basically fine with the US ramping up its involvement in Iraq, so long as it would someday withdraw.

The point here is that despite occasional comments during the 2000s where Trump criticized the war, his actual policy positions were consistently hawkish. His criticism of the war reflects a surface-level look at the conflict: The war was obviously going badly, so Trump said it was a failure.

Trump's criticisms of Iraq and other wars, then, don't reflect a deep view of foreign policy, because he doesn't really have one; he just says what makes sense to him at the time. Sometimes the situation brings out his hawkish impulses, and sometimes it doesn't.

Today the negative consequences of the US interventions in Iraq in 2003 and Libya in 2011 are pretty obvious — so Trump has decided to make it look like he opposed both of them, even though he really didn't at the time. He has a longstanding habit of saying whatever he thinks will make him look the best or smartest, which can make figuring out what he truly thinks somewhat difficult.

But when you actually go back and look closely at his positions over the years, it becomes very clear that he has consistently advocated hawkish policies, like colonizing Iraq and Libya for their oil.

Why we get Trump wrong: His hawkishness doesn't look like what we're used to

Trump
(Samuel Corum/Anadolu Agency/Getty)
(Samuel Corum/Anadolu Agency/Getty)
I honestly don't know how Trump would govern if elected president. Nobody knows how Trump would govern, because we've never had a president like him before.

All we have to go on is what he's said and done. And any close examination of that record, beyond his high-profile rhetoric at debates, suggests that Trump is an instinctive advocate for US military force. He seems especially interested in it when it can be used to enrich or protect the United States — taking the oil, killing the terrorists, etc.

This isn't the kind of hawkishness we're used to. During the Bush administration, hawkishness became equated with neoconservatism. You're a hawk if you support sending in ground troops to fight terrorism or bombing Iran's nuclear program; you're a dove if you oppose those things.

Trump's instincts are not neoconservative, and he's skeptical of neoconservatism's more grandiose ambitions to remake the world in America's democratic image. That makes him sound dovish by American standards, because we've come to equate dovishness with opposing policies that neocons support.

But historically, there are lots of other forms of American hawkishness. Trump fits well with one of those — one that Bard College scholar Walter Russell Mead calls the "Jacksonian tradition," after President Andrew Jackson.

Jacksonians, according to Mead, are basically focused on the interests and reputation of the United States. They are skeptical of humanitarian interventions and wars to topple dictators, because those are idealistic quests removed from the interests of everyday Americans. But when American interests are in question, or failing to fight will make America look weak, Jacksonians are more aggressive than anyone.

"The Gulf War was a popular war in Jacksonian circles because the defense of the nation’s oil supply struck a chord with Jacksonian opinion," Mead writes. "In the absence of a clearly defined threat to the national interest, Jacksonian opinion is much less aggressive."

Unlike neoconservatives or liberal interventionists, who have well-fleshed-out foreign policy doctrines, many Jacksonians think about war and peace more instinctively. "With them it is an instinct rather than an ideology — a culturally shaped set of beliefs and emotions rather than a set of ideas," Mead writes. Sound familiar?

Historically — and here's the important part — the Jacksonian tradition has been partly responsible for a lot of what we see today as American atrocities. Mead explains:

In the last five months of World War II, American bombing raids claimed the lives of more than 900,000 Japanese civilians—not counting the casualties from the atomic strikes against Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This is more than twice the total number of combat deaths that the United States has suffered in all its foreign wars combined...

Since the Second World War, the United States has continued to employ devastating force against both civilian and military targets. Out of a pre-war population of 9.49 million, an estimated 1 million North Korean civilians are believed to have died as a result of U.S. actions during the 1950-53 conflict. During the same war, 33,870 American soldiers died in combat, meaning that U.S. forces killed approximately thirty North Korean civilians for every American soldier who died in action. The United States dropped almost three times as much explosive tonnage in the Vietnam War as was used in the Second World War, and something on the order of 365,000 Vietnamese civilians are believed to have been killed during the period of American involvement.

This is attributable, Mead suggests, to the Jacksonian impulse to wage total war on declared enemies of America. "The first Jacksonian rule of war is that wars must be fought with all available force," Mead writes. "Jacksonian opinion takes a broad view of the permissible targets in war. Again reflecting a very old cultural heritage, Jacksonians believe that the enemy’s will to fight is a legitimate target of war, even if this involves American forces in attacks on civilian lives, establishments and property. "

Trump's foreign policy ideas sound outlandish today because the Jacksonian tradition has fallen out of fashion. In this post–Cold War world of unquestioned American military dominance, neoconservatives and liberal interventionists' loftier ideals have controlled US foreign policy discourse.

But Jacksonianism has had a huge influence on American war fighting. The notion that Trump doesn't really want to annex Iraqi oil fields or murder the families of ISIS fighters and is just saying this to be provocative, which some people seem to believe, is belied by the fact that US leaders and generals in the Jacksonian mold have advocated and implemented similarly aggressive policies throughout American history.

On the campaign trail, Trump routinely cites Gens. George Patton and Douglas MacArthur as foreign policy models — uber-Jacksonians both. Patton wanted to invade the Soviet Union after World War II to head off perceived future threats to America. And President Harry Truman fired MacArthur, despite his strategic genius, for publicly and insubordinately advocating total war against China during the Korean War.

This is the tradition Trump's views seem to fit into. But while Patton and MacArthur at least had real military expertise and intellectual heft animating their hawkishness, Trump is just a collection of angry impulses. There's no worked-out strategic doctrine here, just an impulse to act aggressively when it seems like America's interests and/or reputation are at stake.
All assumptions. Actions speak louder than words and in this case Hillary has proven herself to be a racist who has murdered countless Muslims directly and indirectly through actions.

While Donald has hinted mass deportation of certain ethnicites and religious minorities,war in the middle east for oil,taking out innocent civilians in troubled regions,giving nukes to South Korea and Japan and more oil drilling in Alaska

Trump is against illegal immigration and control of the border. Hillary is a hawk and will start WW3 and get millions killed.

Illegal immigration is the number 1 problem facing the US. And I'm sure legal immigrants from Mexico are also tired of it. Vote Trump! Vote Americania!

Sanders says he will vote for Clinton
By AFP
Published: June 24, 2016
2SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1129481-berniesandersafp-1466771744-230-640x480.jpg

Asked on MSNBC whether he would cast his ballot for Clinton, the Vermont senator who waged a surprisingly tough campaign during the primaries said, Yes. PHOTO: AFP

WASHINGTON: Bernie Sanders said on Friday he will vote for Hillary Clinton in the US presidential election in November, bowing to his former rival for the White House but stopping short of a full endorsement.

Asked on MSNBC whether he would cast his ballot for Clinton, the Vermont senator who waged a surprisingly tough campaign during the primaries said, “Yes.”

Clinton, Trump trade blows in sharpening US election battle

“I think the issue right here is I’m gonna do everything I can to defeat Donald Trump,” Sanders said, referring to the billionaire businessman who is the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

Back
Top Bottom