What's new

Upset with delay, Kabul shelves request for arms aid from Delhi

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting IndianExpress.com article -- article here, excerpts below

Frustrated with India’s failure to deliver long-promised military aid, new Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has told New Delhi that he wishes to revisit his predecessor’s request for assistance, diplomatic sources have told The Indian Express. President Ghani’s decision to place Afghanistan’s arms-aid request on hold, the sources said, had been conveyed to negotiators from the Ministry of External Affairs earlier this month.

The freeze on the aid request, a government source in Kabul said, reflected President Ghani’s belief that the outreach to India would poison the country’s relationship with Pakistan, without yielding any dividends in return. -

Sushant Sareen, an analyst at the New Delhi-based think tank Vivekananda International Foundation, said the Afghan move showed President Ghani “is doing the same his predecessor first did, and betting on appeasing Pakistan”. “This should also be a lesson to us that delayed decisions mean lost opportunities,” he said.

Frustrated with India’s failure to deliver long-promised military aid, new Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has told New Delhi that he wishes to revisit his predecessor’s request for assistance, diplomatic sources have told The Indian Express. President Ghani’s decision to place Afghanistan’s arms-aid request on hold, the sources said, had been conveyed to negotiators from the Ministry of External Affairs earlier this month.

The freeze on the aid request, a government source in Kabul said, reflected President Ghani’s belief that the outreach to India would poison the country’s relationship with Pakistan, without yielding any dividends in return. -

Sushant Sareen, an analyst at the New Delhi-based think tank Vivekananda International Foundation, said the Afghan move showed President Ghani “is doing the same his predecessor first did, and betting on appeasing Pakistan”. “This should also be a lesson to us that delayed decisions mean lost opportunities,” he said.
interesting :pop:

Pressure tactics nothing else.NSA already visited Afghanistan and already did necessary requirement.Afghan President know this will energise aid funds from India.

This is Indo-Afghan plot. Afghanistan will appease Pakistan to take Pakistani money and to burden Pakistani economy. This blackmailing will not work. I request Pakistan Army to invade Afghanistan immediately and bring martial law there. This is the only solution to attain peace in Asia.

Not related to China.
India's defense manufacturing industry has very low capacity as it is all in the Public Sector and are barely able to meet operational requirements of Indian Armed Forces.

With the private sector role being promoted by Prime Minister Modi, this situation should change in under a decade. The defense-military industrial sector is being promoted by this PM.

The Afghan Govt should take military resources from everywhere in the globe to fight the Pakistan sponsored Taliban.

Pressure tactics nothing else.NSA already visited Afghanistan and already did necessary requirement.Afghan President know this will energise aid funds from India.
wait for it
Afghans will blame India for all its troubles

Pakistan is a constant target and they didnt hesitate from blaming Americans who have been feeding them for a decade
now its India's fault

Was bound to happen after his visit to China.
@Chinese-Dragon - Lets arm Mr. Ahmadzai ...
precondition should be that he hands over TTP leadership from Kunar. if he does that and dismantles the Balch Samachar terrorist camps being run by Indians then I say even POF should help his army as well

Appeasing pakistan is definitely worth a try. The returns are enormous if the pakistanis dont make it a zero sum game.

However past tells us pakistan will choose non state actors as an instrument of foreign policy over cooperation.

Appeasing pakistan is definitely worth a try. The returns are enormous if the pakistanis dont make it a zero sum game.

However past tells us pakistan will choose non state actors as an instrument of foreign policy over cooperation.

Pakistan has plenty of surplus arms to dish out, if Mr Ahmadzai keep the good will. We can give them training, tanks, armament, coms and even a bunch of armed K-8s or the F-7s we are about to retire...better than giving them to Bangladesh...trust you me, i'll be raising a toast to your coming defear in Afghanistan. Where we cant defeat you ourselves...well then there is China, Turkey and Saudis.

Pakistan has plenty of surplus arms to dish out, if Mr Ahmadzai keep the good will. We can give them training, tanks, armament, coms and even a bunch of armed K-8s or the F-7s we are about to retire...better than giving them to Bangladesh...trust you me, i'll be raising a toast to your coming defear in Afghanistan. Where we cant defeat you ourselves...well then there is China, Turkey and Saudis.

Well its a compliment to know its going to take china, saudi, turkey and pakistan to defeat us in a faraway landlocked sunni muslim country heavily dependent on pakistan.

And you can take that as a sobering thought about your reality, the usual bravado and hyperbole notwithstanding.

BTW you seem to be missing the woods for the trees. Afghans don't need the weapons as an end in itself. The weapons are needed to guarantee Afghan sovereignty. If the price of pakistani weapons is sovereignty, then the afghans might not be in you see.

Its much more delicate than handing our a bunch of weapons, new and old with chinese, saudi and turkish money. And i have my reservations about Macho pakistanis ability to handle delicate matters :)

@Sher Malang

Last edited:
wait for it

Pakistan is a constant target and they didnt hesitate from blaming Americans who have been feeding them for a decade
now its India's fault

They will blame us if we interfere militarily in Afghanistan.Like you said both Pakistan and US did that.
Our govt at any case wont allow such a situation.

precondition should be that he hands over TTP leadership from Kunar. if he does that and dismantles the Balch Samachar terrorist camps being run by Indians then I say even POF should help his army as well

@Irfan Baloch how can you this much sure about the Indian involvement in Terrorism?
After LTTE Ilepisode I dont think they will encourage that

I think he is trying to make things right..Hamid Karzai foolishly opened his mouth about Indian Arms Aid.we're going to provide weapons,but just not this way...its not only make Indo-Pakistan relationship sour,it'll make Indo-Pakistan relationship sour as well.plus,way too many interested parties are here in Afghanistan.post 2014 will be far more interesting that how and who jostled for leverage in Afghanistan and via which method.

wait for it

now its India's fault

ye part lolwa hai.. :rofl: some wish I might say...

How about both Pakistan and India leave Afghanistan on its own? Let them decide their own fate without any involvement from either. Its not going to happen, I know.

Back
Top Bottom