What's new

Unsheathing the Nihonto: Japanese Paratroopers in Landmark Jump Over Alaska

i doubt that even works. their own people were against them militaristically. they can only be backed up murica and that's their sealed fate when they're losing the war.
My friend. I highly doubt that too. But until that eventually fails, nationalism will be a life-saving straw for Japan.

i doubt that even works. their own people were against them militaristically. they can only be backed up murica and that's their sealed fate when they're losing the war.
After the first industrial revolutionary, Japan's history can be simply described into one sentence: Meiji raise the elite, Taishō raise the country, Shōwa raise the war criminal, Heisei raise the pig.

Now Japan (Heisei) is really like pigs under the protection of American‘s bayonet. Japan really needs something to wake themselves up

Now Japan (Heisei) is really like pigs under the protection of American‘s bayonet. Japan really needs something to wake themselves up

I think that is a very unfair characterization. To be fair, the country has enjoyed non-militaristic policies now for about 70 years. Under the reign of H.I.M Akihito the country has remained on course with peace and relatively 'benign' policies. Why even some of the recent jingoistic articles from China claiming Japan is "remilitarizing" is a gross misappropriation of that term. As we speak the majority of the country is still ambivalent in regards to Japan's orientation towards a more active military stance. I suppose we have to understand that there is particular truth to the fact that Japanese, well i suppose i refer to the post-WW2 generations of Japanese (those who were born after the end of WW2) are used to the society of a peaceful and peace-oriented Japan. There is no culture or recent political policy that is affiliated with war rhetoric or war-era propaganda. The Japan of the present is TOTALLY a different Japan of the inter-war years.

I see this as a good. Japan is not really a militant nation, rather, a nation that is focused on defense and vested in regional development.

I guess it lends truth to the saying that Japanese are FOR Peace. :)

Peace through preparation
Peace through cooperation
Peace through readiness
Peace through interaction
Peace through communication

My friend. I highly doubt that too. But until that eventually fails, nationalism will be a life-saving straw for Japan.

lol come on. Nationalism is found in any nation. Japan is hardly the 'Nationalistic' nation if there ever was one.

I think that is a very unfair characterization. To be fair, the country has enjoyed non-militaristic policies now for about 70 years. Under the reign of H.I.M Akihito the country has remained on course with peace and relatively 'benign' policies. Why even some of the recent jingoistic articles from China claiming Japan is "remilitarizing" is a gross misappropriation of that term. As we speak the majority of the country is still ambivalent in regards to Japan's orientation towards a more active military stance. I suppose we have to understand that there is particular truth to the fact that Japanese, well i suppose i refer to the post-WW2 generations of Japanese (those who were born after the end of WW2) are used to the society of a peaceful and peace-oriented Japan. There is no culture or recent political policy that is affiliated with war rhetoric or war-era propaganda. The Japan of the present is TOTALLY a different Japan of the inter-war years.

I see this as a good. Japan is not really a militant nation, rather, a nation that is focused on defense and vested in regional development.

Peace through readiness

lol come on. Nationalism is found in any nation. Japan is hardly the 'Nationalistic' nation if there ever was one.

hi dude, I am not trying to be offensive. But now Japan's entire nation is really need something to wake themselves up.

hi dude, I am not trying to be offensive. But now Japan's entire nation is really need something to wake themselves up.

Japan is RELATIVELY benign. The country, despite CHINESE STATE MEDIA PROCLAMATIONS is relatively underarmed, have an EXTREMELY MINISCULE defense spending, and have a culture that practically is inhibitive of military culture.

The country of JAPAN really has no existential threat in the fact that we have not been at war with any power for almost 70 years. Apart from the VERY SMALL number of Japanese right wingers , the country is relatively moderate.

AGAIN, even the Japanese Self Defense Forces is defense oriented and DOES NOT even have an offensive proclamative mandate.

That's what you're dealing with.

Peace.

Peace through readiness

You can accept or not, the nationalism is what Japan is taking advantage of right now. After WWII, nationalism was meaningless for Japan since the entire country had been under control, protection and monitoring of US.

FACT CHECK: Japanese People are also VERY ANTI-ATOMIC WEAPON oriented. Tho I and many other Japanese military folks may have feelings for nuclear power, the GENERAL JAPANESE PUBLIC may not agree or share the same mindset.

So that is what you have to consider.

You can accept or not, the nationalism is what Japan is taking advantage of right now. After WWII, nationalism was meaningless for Japan since the entire country had been under control, protection and monitoring of US.

There is some nationalism, but every country has a form of nationalism. In my view the level of nationalism in Japan is probably 1/4th the Nationalistic Culture in CHINA or USA.

I am saying out of experience in having visited CHINA many times and as one who LIVES in the USA.

Since the arsing of China and the need for re-balance of pacific ocean of US, nationalism of Japan has become not only a life-saving straw for Japan, but also an order or requirement for Japanese politicians.

Any Japanese politician who can not match or satisfy the requirement of US' re-balance policy will step down.

FACT CHECK: Japanese People are also VERY ANTI-ATOMIC WEAPON oriented. Tho I and many other Japanese military folks may have feelings for nuclear power, the GENERAL JAPANESE PUBLIC may not agree or share the same mindset.

So that is what you have to consider.

There is some nationalism, but every country has a form of nationalism. In my view the level of nationalism in Japan is probably 1/4th the Nationalistic Culture in CHINA or USA.

I am saying out of experience in having visited CHINA many times and as one who LIVES in the USA.
Sure. US or China both have been using nationalism for a long time. I agree with that. No doubt

What I am saying is the significant change of Japan. Japan started taking advantage of nationalism during administration of PM Abe. That's a fundamental policy change in Japan.

Whether such a change will work for Japanese? Whether will wake up Japanese? Whether will increase Japan's birthrate? Whether will stimulate Japan's economic growth?
I really don't know. But it is worthy to try. This is the last choice for Japan

Since the arsing of China and the need for re-balance of pacific ocean of US, nationalism of Japan has become not only a life-saving straw for Japan, but also an order or requirement for Japanese politicians.

Any Japanese politician who can not match or satisfy the requirement of US' re-balance policy will step down.

Perhaps , perhaps we should also look at the lens of how Japanese Politicians will use the pretext of 'nationalism' as a tool to reduce American military presence in Japan, ergo, the slow and gradual removal of US forces from Okinawa and the rest of the country. I would counsel you and many other 'silent' readers to note that Japanese will always view the situation through 'multiple' lenses.

I think what Japan SHOULD (i'm not saying Japan has this yet) aim for is a non-aligned, peace-oriented, development-focused foreign policy.

My view.

Perhaps , perhaps we should also look at the lens of how Japanese Politicians will use the pretext of 'nationalism' as a tool to reduce Amrican military presence in Japan, ergo, the slow and gradual removal of US forces from Okinawa and the rest of the countrye. I would counsel you and many other 'silent' readers to note that Japanese will always view the situation through 'multiple' lenses.

I think what Japan SHOULD (i'm not saying Japan has this yet) aim for is a non-aligned, peace-oriented, development-focused foreign policy.

My view.

From my opinion, Japan has lost her chance to removal of US forces from Japan. The best opportunity for such a case will be around 1990s. At that time, Japan's power was at the peak and very close to US. Meanwhile China and South Korea both had not been risen. Most importantly, Computer technology had not been involved in military.

From my opinion, Japan has lost her chance to removal of US forces from Japan. The best opportunity for such a case will be around 1990s. At that time, Japan's power was at the peak and very close to US. Meanwhile China and South Korea both had not been risen. Most importantly, Computer technology had not been involved in military.

1990 was impossible since there was still a social paradigm of war shame , war guilt. A lot has happened in the past 25 years. And actually as we speak, there is gradual redistribution of US forces from Okinawa to Guam. In fact, as per the Proactive Policy Towards Peace Mandate, Japan has requested more American forces to be redistributed to Guam, and Japan would take up a more active role in national patrol and defense.

This is also in lieu with US plans to reduce military presence in Japan to bolster her position in Guam, Marianas, Samoa, et al.

We are seeing a redistribution as we speak. 7th Fleet AoO will be focusing on Central / Western Pacific.

Regards.

Lastly, Japan is not Nationalizing so to say, merely it is normalizing. Japan is FAR FROM being Nationalistic. The country is , in comparison to China and USA, relatively inhibitive and mitigated in regards to active foreign policy.

Perhaps , perhaps we should also look at the lens of how Japanese Politicians will use the pretext of 'nationalism' as a tool to reduce American military presence in Japan, ergo, the slow and gradual removal of US forces from Okinawa and the rest of the country. I would counsel you and many other 'silent' readers to note that Japanese will always view the situation through 'multiple' lenses.

My view.
Since then, modern technologies such as satellite, GPS, AGES system have been significantly changed military technologies. And Japan, from my view, has no more chance to escape the control of US unless Japan could figure out a revolutionary technology for military use. So far, no more chance for Japan. Unless Japan's self dense organization plans to use pigeon to communicate etc.

Since then, modern technologies such as satellite, GPS, AGES system have been significantly changed military technologies. And Japan, from my view, has no more chance to escape the control of US unless Japan could figure out a revolutionary technology for military use. So far, no more chance for Japan. Unless Japan's self dense organization plans to use pigeon to communicate etc.

Well I agree with you that Japan has been totally dependent on the United States in regards to defense ; a result of this co-dependency has been the relative lack in development of Japanese military industry. I don't disagree with you there. Then again you have to understand that in the JAPANESE CONTEXT, the country never tried to impose a military threat to any one, as I have said before, the country has been on a defense-oriented mandate. The country STILL does not even have an Offensive declarative mandate.

Japan cannot attack unless it is attacked first. LOL.

1990 was impossible since there was still a social paradigm of war shame , war guilt. A lot has happened in the past 25 years. And actually as we speak, there is gradual redistribution of US forces from Okinawa to Guam. In fact, as per the Proactive Policy Towards Peace Mandate, Japan has requested more American forces to be redistributed to Guam, and Japan would take up a more active role in national patrol and defense.

This is also in lieu with US plans to reduce military presence in Japan to bolster her position in Guam, Marianas, Samoa, et al.

We are seeing a redistribution as we speak. 7th Fleet AoO will be focusing on Central / Western Pacific.

Regards.

Lastly, Japan is not Nationalizing so to say, merely it is normalizing. Japan is FAR FROM being Nationalistic. The country is , in comparison to China and USA, relatively inhibitive and mitigated in regards to active foreign policy.

Again. I never said Japan is a nationalistic country since WWII. I said PM Abe has been using the nationalism. I don't know whether it will work.

US plans to reduce military presence in Japan? I seriously doubt it. Any new president of US could change that policy.

Well I agree with you that Japan has been totally dependent on the United States in regards to defense ; a result of this co-dependency has been the relative lack in development of Japanese military industry. I don't disagree with you there. Then again you have to understand that in the JAPANESE CONTEXT, the country never tried to impose a military threat to any one, as I have said before, the country has been on a defense-oriented mandate. The country STILL does not even have an Offensive declarative mandate.

Japan cannot attack unless it is attacked first. LOL.
No. Japan cannot attack unless US allows

No. Japan cannot attack unless US allows

Well Japan hasn't attacked anyone since it last attacked America. LOL.

So yea. :P

US plans to reduce military presence in Japan? I seriously doubt it. Any new president of US could change that policy.

Very poignant. It always depends on the state of the economy; doesn't matter if the leader is pro China (Hatoyama) or pro USA (Koizumi, Abe), if the economy performs badly, the government will convene on a new leadership.

That's how it works in the country.

Politics is secondary in Japan; Economy is primary. You should know that....

Well Japan hasn't attacked anyone since it last attacked America. LOL.

So yea.

?? Doesn't matter. From the technological situation or from the strategic consideration, US will not allow Japan attack without her permission.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom