What's new

'UN alarmed over increasing civilian casualties in Sri Lanka'

ahmeddsid

Reaction score
'UN alarmed over increasing civilian casualties in Sri Lanka'

Dharam Shourie in New York | January 30, 2009 14:14 IST

United Nations' top human rights official has voiced serious concern over the deteriorating condition of some 250,000 civilians trapped in the war-torn northern Sri Lanka [Images] and increasing casualties, displacement and alleged human rights abuses.

"The perilous situation of civilians after many months of fighting, multiple displacements, heavy rains and flooding is extremely worrying," UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said. Pillay is the latest UN official, along with Scretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other heads of UN agencies, to express her concerns directly to the government.

"We are all seriously alarmed by the situation," she said, "as are many of the non-government organisations and other organisations operating in Sri Lanka."

An estimated 250,000 civilians are trapped in areas of northern Sri Lanka where fighting continues between Lankan forces and the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.

Nearly 5,000 people have managed to cross the zones held by the LTTE [Images] to government-controlled areas since late November, UN said.

Gordon Weiss, spokesman for the UN humanitarian co-ordinator in Sri Lanka, said UN international staff members on Thursday accompanied a convoy of hundreds of wounded civilians, away from the front lines.

UN staff, he added, witnessed the injury and deaths of dozens of people over the weekend at close quarters, while the hospitals in the area are being overwhelmed by the numbers of wounded.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2009/jan/30un-alarmed-in-sri-lanka.htm

Prabhakaran should be prosecuted in India, says Congress

Highlighting its tough stand against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, the Congress on Friday asserted in the Tamil Nadu Assembly that it won't relent till the Tigers' Chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, a proclaimed offender in the Rajiv Gandhi [Images] Assassination case, was arrested, extradited and prosecuted in India.

Senior Congress member D Yashoda, recalling the killing of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi at Sriperumbudur near Chennai, said the main accused Prabhakaran was yet to be arrested.

"While some of them, including Nalini and her husband Sriharan alias Murugan, have been arrested, Prabhakaran is yet to be nabbed. We will not relent till he is arrested and prosecuted," she said.

Prabhakaran himself had confessed to the killing of Gandhi when he described that episode as a 'tragic incident' during a press conference some years back.

"Our policy is to extradite and prosecute him in India," Sudarshanam asserted, amidst loud thumping of the benches by members of the Congress, whose support is crucial to the survival of the Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam government in the state.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2009/jan/30prabhakaran-should-be-prosecuted-in-india-says-congress.htm

Highlighting its tough stand against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, the Congress on Friday asserted in the Tamil Nadu Assembly that it won't relent till the Tigers' Chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, a proclaimed offender in the Rajiv Gandhi [Images] Assassination case, was arrested, extradited and prosecuted in India.

Senior Congress member D Yashoda, recalling the killing of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi at Sriperumbudur near Chennai, said the main accused Prabhakaran was yet to be arrested.

"While some of them, including Nalini and her husband Sriharan alias Murugan, have been arrested, Prabhakaran is yet to be nabbed. We will not relent till he is arrested and prosecuted," she said.

Prabhakaran himself had confessed to the killing of Gandhi when he described that episode as a 'tragic incident' during a press conference some years back.

"Our policy is to extradite and prosecute him in India," Sudarshanam asserted, amidst loud thumping of the benches by members of the Congress, whose support is crucial to the survival of the Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam government in the state.

Prabhakaran should be prosecuted in India:Cong

What if Sri Lanka wnats him to stand trial for crimes committed in its country? Why should Sri Lanka give priority to Indian grievances against Prabhakaran? Are the Indians worried that if he stands trial in Sri Lanka his links with RAW during the 1980'a will be revealed? I am sure he has a lot of embarrassing information about Indian cooperation with LTTE.

What if Sri Lanka wnats him to stand trial for crimes committed in its country? Why should Sri Lanka give priority to Indian grievances against Prabhakaran? Are the Indians worried that if he stands trial in Sri Lanka his links with RAW during the 1980'a will be revealed? I am sure he has a lot of embarrassing information about Indian cooperation with LTTE.
First of all Its not the Indian Government which has proposed this, Its the Congress Party and Sonia Gandhi has an axe to grind with LTTE and Prabhakaran. They Killed Her Husband, the Late Rajiv Gandhi. Even I have an axe to grind with LTTE, because Rajiv Gandhi was one of the best leaders whose vision had propelled India and still propells it. I wouldnt Mind it if Sri Lanka decides to Hang him there, I just want him to pay for his crime, in killing a Great Indian Leader!

you ask a question and then proceed to make all kinds of assumptions! if RAW was helping LTTE and most of you say that RAW is still very active, then plz explain why didnt RAW help LTTE this time around?

the fact of the matter is 'RAW helping LTTE' is mostly exaggerated. anyway, prabakaran is asked by congress party and not indian govt.
whether sri lankans give priority to india or not, it is for them to decide, why do you fret?

Last edited:
you ask a question and then proceed to make all kinds of assumptions! if RAW was helping LTTE and most you say that RAW is still very active, then plz explain why didnt RAW help LTTE this time around?

the fact of the matter is 'RAW helping LTTE' is mostly exaggerated. anyway, prabakaran is asked by congress party and not indian govt.
whether sri lankans give priority to india or not, it is for them to decide, why do you fret?
Bro, Dont Question Him, Some people make a Living out of Bashing India and RAW! Who are we to stop their means of Livelihood??

what do u mean? Is this a part of your 40% tactic? Man I am gonna blow a whistle on that tactic of yours! hahahahaha God Speed!

Bro, Dont Question Him, Some people make a Living out of Bashing India and RAW! Who are we to stop their means of Livelihood??

ha ha..yeah
I didnt expect any answer, bro. I asked those questions only so that others reading the thread can make a decision for themselves.

UN never got alarmed over Civilian deaths in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Palestine.

No wonder hypocrites at their best.

UN never got alarmed over Civilian deaths in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Palestine.

No wonder hypocrites at their best.
UN has always Expressed CONCERN!! They just were not able to Do anything More than EXPRESSING!

ha ha..yeah
I didnt expect any answer, bro. I asked those questions only so that others reading the thread can make a decision for themselves.
I know, neither do I expect a good answer. Its just Bias and Hate that fuels some people. We should counter it with Peace and love :)

Prabhakaran should be prosecuted in India:Cong

:rofl: India in past also demanded of Sri Lanka to handover Prabhakaran to India. Now one can only laugh off this Indian bluff because if Sri Lanka could have the chance to catch him, SL would have killed or prosecuted him.

India knows very well that it was unlikely few years back that SL could arrest him so India was demanding his handing over few years back.

UN has always Expressed CONCERN!! They just were not able to Do anything More than EXPRESSING!

UN has become BUSCUIT distributing company...does any country cares for UN anymore? Except Pakistan running behind to resolve kashmir.

India and Pakistan should solve Kashmir bilaterally. No need of anyone else!

About Sri Lanka, well the LTTE as assoles, they dont represent tamils, they are killing off tamils who dont agree with them and then hire Child Soldiers. They need no protection, but the Tamils need protection from casualites!

Back
Top Bottom